Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
he wanted it low. I almost don't like to admit I did this:

megan racing coilovers, shortened rear bumpstops (to do it completely right you would need to swap to normal legacy rear upper arms too), lgt steering linkage and crossmember hardware, whiteline ALK and RCA. BBS LMs

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

jamal posted:

megan racing coilovers, shortened rear bumpstops (to do it completely right you would need to swap to normal legacy rear upper arms too), lgt steering linkage and crossmember hardware, whiteline ALK and RCA. BBS LMs

Yikes. To each his own. At least you did it right for him. Those wheels are pretty great, though. Someday...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Dear lord do I want some LM's on my wagon. :(

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

jamal posted:

I know that car very well from over on the LGT forums. You should tell that fool to check his PM's once in a while haha!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice Leggys in here. Bren tuned one of my favorite GT's recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g3BHBy46g

Tan colored, regular rear end looking wagon with a 2011 STi motor and a VF52 :hellyeah:

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

kylej posted:

Nice Leggys in here. Bren tuned one of my favorite GT's recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-g3BHBy46g

Tan colored, regular rear end looking wagon with a 2011 STi motor and a VF52 :hellyeah:

Good looking car for sure!

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Alright, so I finally got my bluetooth scanner in the mail. And only a week after they said it would be shipped.

2003 Forester XS. So I plugged it in and checked the fault codes. P0030. A little Googling tells me this is for the front O2 sensor, and it's either blown a fuse, is shorted out, or is completely faulty altogether.

It seems like even if it needs replacing, the work shouldn't be too difficult to do myself. But does it? I guess I need to pop it out and have a look, but what am I looking for, besides corrosion or obviously broken pieces?

If it does need replacing, what's a good brand? I understand that the front sensor is the important one, so should I just get it from the dealer? I can find ones ranging from $100 to $250 online, but I don't know what difference the price will make.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Fun fact - 2.5 Litre WRX crank is 9.4 kgs

Fun fact two - one half of the block is 11.0 Kgs, the other half is 12.8 for a total of 23.8 kgs.

So you have a total in those three of 33.2 kgs. The short block I have is 40.2 kgs (pistons, bolts etc). I dont think even the Beetle engine is that light and that has a magnesium crank case. I can well believe a claim of an entire engine with turbo being less than 90 kgs

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Jeebus, the short block weighs less than 100 lbs. That's crazy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Someone measured the short block minus pistons in an 06 STI to be about 52lb. It's crazy how light they are.

I read last night that the 80s Alfa 33 boxer longblock is under 150 lb as well.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Cat Terrist posted:

Fun fact - 2.5 Litre WRX crank is 9.4 kgs

Fun fact two - one half of the block is 11.0 Kgs, the other half is 12.8 for a total of 23.8 kgs.

So you have a total in those three of 33.2 kgs. The short block I have is 40.2 kgs (pistons, bolts etc). I dont think even the Beetle engine is that light and that has a magnesium crank case. I can well believe a claim of an entire engine with turbo being less than 90 kgs

I feel like I should be dieting or something now to do my fair share for my poor car. How did I not know that?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

R.I.P. 2.5GT Legacy

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

R.I.P. 2.5GT Legacy

I did not see that coming, somehow. I could see the Outback XT maybe I guess. That sucks pretty hard. And here I was whining just because we stopped getting the wagon version :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I wonder if they'll kill the turbo on the 2013 Forester too. Depending on what happens with the 2013 WRX (nothing?) that might be the only EJ based motor left...

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

I don't think anyone will miss the current 2.5GT. Certainly, noone bought em...
They really engineered all the personality and Unique Selling Points from the previous Legacy to make the current one. It's such a fat barge.

I bet the 2.5GT will be back for the next generation with a more fuel efficient turbo motor or hell, that 250hp NA FA engine that's supposedly coming in the BRZ STI.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

smooth jazz posted:

They really engineered all the personality and Unique Selling Points from the previous Legacy to make the current one. It's such a fat barge.

I bet the 2.5GT will be back for the next generation with a more fuel efficient turbo motor or hell, that 250hp NA FA engine that's supposedly coming in the BRZ STI.

See, that makes sense and would be really great. Unfortunately, this is a company that chose to make the 08-11 STi look like it did, cancelled the Legacy wagon, and turned the Outback into a full-size SUV. It's like the BRZ: As good as it could be, looks like it might be and I want it to be, I have to have that little voice in my head that keeps saying "wait for it..."

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

True, Subaru has shown its fans some real tough love.
I think Legacy generations are like Star Trek movies, only the even numbered ones are good.

At this point I want a BRZ, but am happy to wait for the 2014 when the initial furor has died down and it's "lovable quirks" come to the surface.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

smooth jazz posted:

True, Subaru has shown its fans some real tough love.
I think Legacy generations are like Star Trek movies, only the even numbered ones are good.

At this point I want a BRZ, but am happy to wait for the 2014 when the initial furor has died down and it's "lovable quirks" come to the surface.

I am pushing my my dad towards one when his RX8 becomes too much work. I want to drive/play with one, but I don't really want one. I really love my awd and tons of space. That said, if (when?) they switch wrx platforms I will be pretty interested. Especially if they go smaller two-/three-door and get back into rally seriously.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm getting kind of confused about ordering timing belt parts for my EJ22.

It looks like there's two kinds of tensioner for GM/GC/GF Imprezas - 13033aa001 and 13033aa002 (revised). I've been told that some EJ22s came with a hydraulic tensioner, others without, and that the latter are more reliable and cheaper. The revised part seems to be for 98+ Imprezas according to opposed forces (#19).

RockAuto timing belt kits say "Does not include cam. tensioner hyd. assy," so I'm assuming that means they're the old style, as kits for the '99 say "includes automatic belt tensioner." However, the '98 is the same as the '97 in stating hydraulic parts are not offered, which is confusing.

If I end up getting the "wrong" one, are they effectively interchangeable (outside of the tensioner bracket, which appears different and can probably be swapped over)?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Jabberwocky posted:

I am pushing my my dad towards one when his RX8 becomes too much work. I want to drive/play with one, but I don't really want one. I really love my awd and tons of space. That said, if (when?) they switch wrx platforms I will be pretty interested. Especially if they go smaller two-/three-door and get back into rally seriously.

I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. WRC has lots of issues and the current spec they use which is based on Super 2000 just won't let Subaru compete since they have to develop an all new car from scratch. Subaru always does well in Group N PWRC, since they're a better production car, but I don't see FIA fixing these issues anytime soon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm getting kind of confused about ordering timing belt parts for my EJ22.

It looks like there's two kinds of tensioner for GM/GC/GF Imprezas - 13033aa001 and 13033aa002 (revised). I've been told that some EJ22s came with a hydraulic tensioner, others without, and that the latter are more reliable and cheaper. The revised part seems to be for 98+ Imprezas according to opposed forces (#19).

RockAuto timing belt kits say "Does not include cam. tensioner hyd. assy," so I'm assuming that means they're the old style, as kits for the '99 say "includes automatic belt tensioner." However, the '98 is the same as the '97 in stating hydraulic parts are not offered, which is confusing.

If I end up getting the "wrong" one, are they effectively interchangeable (outside of the tensioner bracket, which appears different and can probably be swapped over)?

pm me your vin and I will look up the oem part number. You need to have the right bracket for the tensioner you use.

picture of each here
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28372172&postcount=4

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

smooth jazz posted:

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll update the flat-six, make the Legacy a proper sports sedan again, and then release a Legacy STi with a turbo flat-six as a budget Panamera to match the BRZ's budget Cayman. Yeaaah

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
Hey guys. I have a massive wild hare. I think I'm going to trade in my reliable but soul-crushingly boring 09 2.5i with 33k for a 05 Fozzie XT with 120k and a 5 spd. Is this a horrible idea?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I got a turboback exhaust and Grimmspeed EBCS put on my STi yesterday. Dave at Performance Auto Solutions (formerly MSPT) pro-tuned the car for 93 and now it is so much fun that I am obligated to tell you about how much fun it is at every opportunity to tell you guys that I am having fun.

Did I mention fun? Ok yeah.

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 31, 2012

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

War Bunny posted:

Hey guys. I have a massive wild hare. I think I'm going to trade in my reliable but soul-crushingly boring 09 2.5i with 33k for a 05 Fozzie XT with 120k and a 5 spd. Is this a horrible idea?

I'd say yes, horrible idea. Rock what you got unless you have another daily driver. Nothing beats a reliable if slow car as long as it's reliable. Save up your money for something later that you can beat on and keep the '09 as a DD.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

BoostCreep posted:

Save up your money for something later that you can beat on and keep the '09 as a DD.

The fleet begins...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I found out people are importing 2.5 RS's from the USA for resonably cheap. And that there were 400 two door STI's imported, the ratty ones are going cheap.

And widebody kits are cheap.

Hmmmm, I smell a project coming on......

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

What could it mean if when starting my 02 Outback Sedan H6 first thing in the morning it fires up, but idles rough at about 500-700 RPM which then falls until it dies and pressing the gas pedal does nothing? Then when cranking it again, it cranks a lot longer than normal sputtering a bit then fires up just fine for the rest of the day.

This happened the past 2 mornings and I don't know where to begin. No other problems have been evident until this.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Roman Rambo posted:

I got a turboback exhaust and Grimmspeed EBCS put on my STi yesterday. Dave at Performance Auto Solutions (formerly MSPT) pro-tuned the car for 93 and now it is so much fun that I am obligated to tell you about how much fun it is at every opportunity to tell you guys that I am having fun.

Did I mention fun? Ok yeah.

Taking your car out on the road after a good pro-tune is always amazing. Two weeks until my vf39 swap and tune, very excited.

Contemplating the Killer B oil pickup + newer pan before the installs, but paying for labor to install that on top of the other stuff is just way too much right now.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

BoostCreep posted:

I'd say yes, horrible idea. Rock what you got unless you have another daily driver. Nothing beats a reliable if slow car as long as it's reliable. Save up your money for something later that you can beat on and keep the '09 as a DD.

Thanks for the sensible answer. Fortunately the Forester was sold this morning, so I won't beat myself up knowing it is sitting and waiting for me. I'm going to be getting the new-design STi when it comes out, so I just have to put up with my reliable boring car until then.

Unless Subaru royally fucks the dog on that front, which is a concern of mine considering how the Impreza line has fared since 2006.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

kylej posted:

Taking your car out on the road after a good pro-tune is always amazing. Two weeks until my vf39 swap and tune, very excited.

Seriously!

I'm also planning on injectors, fuel pump and perhaps some other go-fast bits but my wallet needs a rest for now.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

War Bunny posted:

Unless Subaru royally fucks the dog on that front, which is a concern of mine considering how the Impreza line has fared since 2006.

Plastichrome everywhere, no survivors :negative:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

law abiding rapist posted:

Plastichrome everywhere, no survivors :negative:

I mean let's see what Subaru's done for the Legacy refresh...

Oh.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I mean let's see what Subaru's done for the Legacy refresh...

Oh.

Remember when Subaru used black rubberized plastic because it's actually durable instead of trying to look like a poor mans 5 series? I do :allears:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Remember when Subaru used black rubberized plastic because it's actually durable instead of trying to look like a poor mans 5 series? I do :allears:

Hopefully theyve improved the infamously creeky and econocar interior that comes with my 02. Its perfect for me because literally all I care about is driving the car and the technology and what not but my friends who do care about that stuff always have thought of it as the reason they dont own a WRX.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

But then idiots get mad about it like on the new BRZ because UGH IT'S BLACK PLASTIC LIKE ON POOR PEOPLE CARS EWW

Also, clearly what Subaru needs to do is make its wheel arches more bulbous yet strangely flattened and also increase headlight size. Maybe add more vents, a taller hood, and a bigger front grille to make it look more masculine. And then cut the sporty model while adding a "sporty" looking lower valence with a fake diffuser lip ripped off of the current, not particularly good looking Audi front clips.

On the positive news, apparently they've developed a new radiator design that's more efficient, so maybe we can get lower cowl lines on the next Legacy in another 4 years or however long it's going to take.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lord Gaga posted:

Hopefully theyve improved the infamously creeky and econocar interior that comes with my 02. Its perfect for me because literally all I care about is driving the car and the technology and what not but my friends who do care about that stuff always have thought of it as the reason they dont own a WRX.

Interiors on the 06-09 Legacies were actually pretty good. The perf leather looked good, center stack was plain but not ugly (although the integrated audio was annoying), etc. Looked clean and upscale, like an Acura or VW level class interior.

But maybe I'm biased because I thought the Legacy from that era was the best looking and best driving midsizer on the market except for maybe the Mazda 6. I still regret not buying a Spec. B with that brick red interior when I had a chance.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 1, 2012

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Cream_Filling posted:

On the positive news, apparently they've developed a new radiator design that's more efficient, so maybe we can get lower cowl lines on the next Legacy in another 4 years or however long it's going to take.

This would be a awesome. The STI needs to be a performance mmachine, but the Legacy/outback/forester needs to be an appealing car to give them the support to do it, and I maintain that the bubble-front of the 08-present cars is an awful design direction that has to have cost them sales. I don't know enough about the technical side to know if that will be a permanent change because of regulations and whatever, but god I hope there is a point on the tech horizon that will let us have sleek cars ever again. And that is my opinion on car design.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

It may be ugly, but Subaru execs are too busy swimming in their pool of money to hear you complain. If you didn't see, they've been demolishing the competition and their sales records the last few years.

It means making their bread and butter cars lamer, but hopefully the money from that will go into making the sports models less of a compromise. It's already shown up in the mere existence of the BRZ so I think we should be excited about the new WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I posted about tires a few pages ago, and I just wanted to check to make sure of something. Either the conti DWSes or the Yoko 960ASes would do great on dirt/gravel too, right? Bad roads are more common for me than wet or snowy roads. I just don't see any mention of handling on loose dry surfaces when I read about their performance.

edit: While I'm here, how bad is the 4-speed automatic on the recent Foresters? Is it bad enough that someone who's not a car person would notice? My mother's looking for a new car and is mainly considering the Forester, Outback, CR-V, and CX-7. The Forester seems to have the best rear leg room, which is important since everyone in the family but her is over 6' tall, but I've heard the transmission isn't doing it any favors.

I'd like to talk her into a Legacy GT, but I'm pretty sure that's not happening.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 1, 2012