Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

alright which one of you is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Alright, how about this one, in my seemingly never-ending quest for a cheap dual sport:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2917403355.html

$2400 for a 2001 DR 650 in apparently decent shape. Think I could talk him down to $2100? Would that be a decent deal?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Reason for sale: Was a cool guy, now a dad (bikes fault).

Definitely not a goon.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Radbot posted:

Alright, how about this one, in my seemingly never-ending quest for a cheap dual sport:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2917403355.html

$2400 for a 2001 DR 650 in apparently decent shape. Think I could talk him down to $2100? Would that be a decent deal?
I could be wrong but that seems a little high for a ten plus year old bike. Not outrageous but not a smokin deal. A friend of mine has a few of these and I will say they are a blast to ride. I weigh 300 pounds and am 6'2" and his dr 650 never felt under powered or small to me. I guess if it's what you want go for it. I'd try to get it for 2000$ though.
Edit- at least this bike doesn't look like it was stripped down for offload only use, a lot of them are and parts get lost leading to Craigslist ads sans turn signals and stuff.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 24, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Ducati 1098

I love when somebody becomes a dad they decide to sell everything cool because they're a dad now.

Granted, I postponed plans to buy a bike due to fatherhood, but I have 3 kids and I just got my first bike. To each their own I guess.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Over in BFC they call kids "a million-dollar black hole" so he should just keep the bike anyway since 12k is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Gnaghi posted:

Over in BFC they call kids "a million-dollar black hole" so he should just keep the bike anyway since 12k is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

You're right about that.

Not only that but seeing the bike he has I'd say it's pretty safe to say he's a pretty avid rider, he's losing a lot of money selling it, and will just buy something else after the kid grows up a bit. I don't see anybody that vested in riding as simply walking away from it altogether.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You're right about that.

Not only that but seeing the bike he has I'd say it's pretty safe to say he's a pretty avid rider, he's losing a lot of money selling it, and will just buy something else after the kid grows up a bit. I don't see anybody that vested in riding as simply walking away from it altogether.

Bought new in '09, has 4,200 miles? The guy rode 1,400 miles a year, he was not an avid rider. At least he rode it enough to get laid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Bought new in '09, has 4,200 miles? The guy rode 1,400 miles a year, he was not an avid rider. At least he rode it enough to get laid.

Hahahaha okay sorry overlooked that.

Maybe he's just an idiot.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd just sell the kid, I could buy a few bikes with the cash I got. I don't want kids at all and I won't stop riding until they put my rear end in a pine box.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Freudian slip, foreshadowing, or smokin' deal?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

Freudian slip, foreshadowing, or smokin' deal?

Looks pretty great and for a good price. Also nice pun either way

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I love when somebody becomes a dad they decide to sell everything cool because they're a dad now.

Granted, I postponed plans to buy a bike due to fatherhood, but I have 3 kids and I just got my first bike. To each their own I guess.

Practically the first thing I did when my wife got pregnant was buy an old Goldwing. Maybe it was so I'd have something to get rid of when she decides to demand that I reduce the stable.

One of my favorite things about riding now is pulling up the driveway and seeing my daughter's look of combined joy/terror at daddy on the "noisy bicycle".

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

$500 for a semi-ratty CB750 SS in SoCal.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/2918196420.html

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Really wish I had $3300. 1999 VFR 800 in really good shape.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2914930678.html

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The look of that makes me think of all the mongoloids at the gym that focus solely on their upper body, leaving their legs to wither.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So sad they didn't keep it paired to a 6 speed manual.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I do like how he says a 730hp motorcycle is "easy to handle" but won't sell it to a beginner at any price! Because I bet he's got plenty of newbies phoning him and saying "yeah I'm just starting out but a $185,000 motorcycle sounds like the right one for me!"

:rolleyes:

Guy's completely inside his own rear end.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
Sorry, meant to post this here originally.

What do you guys think of this offering? Not a lot of info and I'm not familiar with the platform so I'm not sure what I'd ask on the phonecall

http://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/mcy/2929015365.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why would you pull the bars off, flip the headlight brackets (maybe? Looks off) and raise the forks on a 919? Nice bikes but looks like the PO is an idiot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Z3n posted:

Why would you pull the bars off, flip the headlight brackets (maybe? Looks off) and raise the forks on a 919? Nice bikes but looks like the PO is an idiot.

"Consider how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of the population is dumber than THAT."
--- George Carlin

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Looks clean, nice price.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/2922482937.html

2 sets of carbs, new (I think) 4 in 1, complete, and a title. Someone in the MSP area might want to jump on this (having to drive over there and trailer it back wrecks the deal a bit for me).

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

1) Because you've got long arms and need a clip-on to get a comfortable riding position. Or possibly just because you're a jerk.

2) They're not flipped. It's the brackets that comes with that clip-on kit.

3) Doesn't look raised to me.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
This looks like a nice GS500:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2921389058.html

I like the two-tone.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Bucephalus posted:

Looks clean, nice price.

Thanks for the tip going to see it around 5 or 6 today.
Edit- any glaring issues related to this particular bike I should keep an eye out for?

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ Just old bike wear-and-tear, GSs are pretty bulletproof. Keep us posted!

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Bucephalus posted:

^ Just old bike wear-and-tear, GSs are pretty bulletproof. Keep us posted!
Put 200$ down, gonna pay off and pick up in the morning. Runs and rides great. The worst part was the paint is terrible but I give no fucks about paint. He painted the motor black but other than that it's bone stock, and will stay that way.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
wrecked and street-fightered methinks. It has the standard "knocked over in driveway" bit.... http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2896885828.html

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

wrecked and street-fightered methinks. It has the standard "knocked over in driveway" bit.... http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2896885828.html

"never been downed...dropped it twice."

It seems the hell of buying used motorcycles is that those selling them rarely are mental giants. I see a lot of contradictory statements like this, but my favorite is when people are trying to sell their bike that they have ridden for so many "original miles" whatever the hell that means and yet can't tell you what kind of bike it is. I don't even know.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
My favorite of those idioms is "doesn't run, close though!"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No title, but will give you a completely worthless bill of sale that the dmv will laugh at and wont get you any closer to getting this thing registered, which *spoiler alert* you cant.

BILL OF SALE!!!!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^Daily ride for last 3 years, but I don't have a title to register it...

Just needs a $20 part that takes 5min to replace, but I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME

*spends 2hrs taking pics & posting ad*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just go to the dmv and apply for a lost title which they wont give you since youre not the original owner of the title.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

"never been downed...dropped it twice."

It seems the hell of buying used motorcycles is that those selling them rarely are mental giants. I see a lot of contradictory statements like this, but my favorite is when people are trying to sell their bike that they have ridden for so many "original miles" whatever the hell that means and yet can't tell you what kind of bike it is. I don't even know.

Yeah, the guy I got the Ulysses from listed in the ad "Nothing wrong with this Ulysses, it does need a new rear tire"

The O2 sensor isn't hooked up due to some white trash misconception of how it works, the front brakes needed new pads, the rear shock leaked, the triple tail was almost useless, and BOTH tires badly needed replacement.

No fucks were given and I brought it home anyway. But yeah that's what you have to deal with, buying used.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
This is about as close as you can get to time traveling back to 1983.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Honda-VF750F-Interceptor-/150787599447?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item231ba42c57#v4-41

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

This is about as close as you can get to time traveling back to 1983.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Honda-VF750F-Interceptor-/150787599447?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item231ba42c57#v4-41

Jesus there was a cheap one of those up for 500 bucks in great condition that I passed on cause :effort: and working on getting a job. :saddowns:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

How about an R1 Supermoto?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2934784203.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize that if you took the fairings off a supersport, it became a supermoto!