Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Corridor posted:

Sorry if this is gross, but is there a way to get pitstains out of clothing? :( I'm sick of having great shirts ruined because my deodorant doesn't prevent pitstains like it says.

Undershirts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Corridor posted:

Sorry if this is gross, but is there a way to get pitstains out of clothing? :( I'm sick of having great shirts ruined because my deodorant doesn't prevent pitstains like it says.

It's the chemicals in your deodorant/antiperspirant that cause pitstains, not your sweat. Try wearing less of it and making sure your armpits are completely dry before putting on your shirt.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Florida Betty posted:

It's the chemicals in your deodorant/antiperspirant that cause pitstains, not your sweat. Try wearing less of it and making sure your armpits are completely dry before putting on your shirt.

Specifically it's the aluminum zirconium somethingorother in anti-perspirants. If you don't sweat too much you can try swirtching to deodorants which don't have it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I put some gold bond in my armpits after deodorant. That seems to help with that problem.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005
I've had this problem lately with a couple t-shirts. Giving the pit stains of the shirt (awkward to just soak the pits, but better than having to soak an entire shirt at once) a soak in diluted vinegar seems to help, but I think it would take repeat soakings with fresh solution to actually get it out. It may help to actually rub the stains in the vinegar solution to get the stain off the shirt.

It worked fine for me on a lighter color shirt, but on a dark colored shirt a single soaking just kind of spread out the antiperspirant stain. I don't think dilute vinegar harms most fabrics and dyes, but test it out on something you care less about just in case.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
What's some good region free DVD software? I've just moved over to Canada from the UK and want to be able to play my collection on my computer.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Corridor posted:

You should buy and start using either Triple Dry or Anhydrol Forte anti-perspirant. Anhydrol is cheaper but Triple Dry is my preference. It basically stops you from sweating, at all. It's great!

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I have some money sitting in my PayPal balance but I can't change funding when buying stuff from ebay. Their onsite FAQ is useless and googling doesn't help either. Any ideas why does this happen?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I just dropped a fully charged, straight out of the charger, NiMH AA battery right into a glass of water. I got it out and dried it off, but have I done any permanent damage to it?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Probably not. Water's not actually that great of a conductor - it's just way better than empty air. I would be more worried about water corroding the metal, but if you dried it well, that shouldn't really be a problem. I'd test it in a device with a relatively high fault tolerance (a flashlight, as opposed to an mp3 player), and definitely not stick it back in the charger until you're confident that it's working properly.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 1, 2012

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

stubblyhead posted:

I just dropped a fully charged, straight out of the charger, NiMH AA battery right into a glass of water. I got it out and dried it off, but have I done any permanent damage to it?

I've put the things through the laundry, no biggie. That said, I never did a calibrated before/after of charge density or anything. They still work in my old-rear end pocket mp3/radio thing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
What does "public school" imply to British people in the context of class and social standing? I just read this passage from an English author and had no idea what he meant by public school accent.

quote:

One of the more troublesome-looking hostages, a young stocky guy dressed like an American high school jock, caught Fox’s eye, and started to stand up.

Fox shouted at him to sit down.

The guy went down on one knee. ‘I need the toilet, badly,’ he said, his accent public school.

‘I don’t care.’

‘Come on. Cut me some slack. Please.’ There was a confidence to his voice that made some of the hostages take notice.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

What does "public school" imply to British people in the context of class and social standing? I just read this passage from an English author and had no idea what he meant by public school accent.

Public school:UK::Private school:US

e: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_school_(United_Kingdom)

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
All those boarding schools you've seen on Masterpiece Theater where the powerful and dim send their children to terrorize one another are called public schools in the UK.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

General Ironicus posted:

All those boarding schools you've seen on Masterpiece Theater where the powerful and dim send their children to terrorize one another are called public schools in the UK.

Aha. Does this mean the rich and powerful in England have a different accent?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
I used a new wok, but I don't think I washed it properly before cooking with it. It's carbon steel so it has an oily coating that the manufacturer put on to prevent rust. Would this oil pose any hazard to human health when ingested?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

dokmo posted:

Yes, like the way the Queen talks. "Hoity-toity" or whatever you want to call it.

Hugh Grant has a pretty typical public school accent.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

I used a new wok, but I don't think I washed it properly before cooking with it. It's carbon steel so it has an oily coating that the manufacturer put on to prevent rust. Would this oil pose any hazard to human health when ingested?
Probably not but you're supposed to season a wok before cooling in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjkTPWBOf8

Edit: I didn't review that video in detail, but it's probably roughly proper. Or just google how to season a wok.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

randyest posted:

Probably not but you're supposed to season a wok before cooling in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjkTPWBOf8

Edit: I didn't review that video in detail, but it's probably roughly proper. Or just google how to season a wok.

Yeah I really only half-assed the seasoning....I thought I got all the crap out but apparently not since there was still black residue seen on cloth after wiping.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

dokmo posted:

So far as I know, in the UK, your class and your accent are often directly correlated. Even if you improve your station, the moment you open your mouth you betray yourself as someone who was not born into money, and opinions can change based on that.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Golbez posted:

So far as I know, in the UK, your class and your accent are often directly correlated. Even if you improve your station, the moment you open your mouth you betray yourself as someone who was not born into money, and opinions can change based on that.

The Goodies had a lot of jokes based around this. Tim Brooke-Taylor has a very public school accent (and name), and Bill Oddie has a very uh, 'common' accent (and name). They'd throw insults like 'upperclass git' and 'filthy little prole', most of the humour deriving from how this is an actual Thing in the UK. Not just England but Ireland and Scotland.

Tufty posted:

It basically stops you from sweating, at all. It's great!

That sounds... dangerous.

ManPortable posted:

vinegar

Thanks, I will try this.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Golbez posted:

Not invariably - older actors always learned received pronunciation (the "BBC accent"), as did a lot of public-facing professions - my mother was trained as a GPO telephone operator and dropped into RP on the phone all her life.

Not to mention there's a more recent fashion to sound "lower class", usually referred to as Estuary English. The violinist Nigel Kennedy was a shining example of that.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 1, 2012

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm trying to find a good ISP in Oxford, Ohio but it's either like 1MB/sec plans or TV/Phone/Internet all bundled together for a decent speed.

Anyone have any advice about approaching this issue?

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Corridor posted:

That sounds... dangerous.

Nah, it's ok. You can get it either over the counter or through prescription. The only side effects are localised irritation, which just means you need to use less of it or less frequently. It's even ok to use if you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Do some research and give it a try :) You use it every other night or so at first, washing it off in the morning. After you've used it for a while you can just apply it once a week and no more perspiration.

quote:

When you apply Anhydrol forte to the skin, the aluminium chloride works by blocking the sweat glands. This causes the pressure of fluid within the sweat glands to rise to the point where they temporarily stop sweat production.

The product is applied before going to bed at night in order to block the sweat glands while they are least active. It should then be washed off in the morning. The sweat glands will then remain blocked and so will not produce sweat during the day. (The sweat glands unblock as the dead cells on the surface of the skin are naturally shed.)

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
That still sounds dangerous.
Like I assumed it didn't actually do that but... "This causes the pressure of fluid within the sweat glands to rise to the point where they temporarily stop production"? Yeesh.

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

If you're applying for a job and were doing contracted work for 12 months after college but were not renewed due to bad performance (but not fired), would it be better to list that job on your resume or make it look like you hadn't been working for that length of time after graduating?

(it wasn't professional work that required a degree, and isn't related to the other job I'd be applying for)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I was a car salesman for a month and I never put it on my resume because it's never related to anything I apply for... but a year is a pretty significant time. You might as well put something down -- doing nothing for a year looks bad.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Are studies done on empirical evidence complete bullshit? Like the China Study? At what point does an empirical evidence study ever become relevant?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

b0nes posted:

Are studies done on empirical evidence complete bullshit? Like the China Study? At what point does an empirical evidence study ever become relevant?

As opposed to what other kind of evidence?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Is this an April's fools question? Empirical research is the mainstay of all science.
e: or maybe you found a way to get data without observing, which would be great!

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Samopsa posted:

Is this an April's fools question? Empirical research is the mainstay of all science.
e: or maybe you found a way to get data without observing, which would be great!

Whenever I see anyone mention The China Study as evidence for not eating meat a few people post that studies based on empirical evidence aren't worth anything. Or did I get the word wrong. The study of stuff strictly by observance. What T. Colon Campbell used in his studies.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
The study is pretty much nonsense, but I think you're confused. Do you mean epidemiological studies?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
All studies are based strictly on observance. How else would you get data?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Me and a buddy were just discussing the difference in perceived age re: people vs. things.

For example, no one considers a 20 year old person to be "old" however the average person is going to consider a 20 year old TV /cell phone/computer old.

Now I swear I read an article or essay about this that actually applied a term to it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it is and googling "old person vs old object" gets me exactly what you'd expect.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I think I just blue myself.

Why is Wikipedia suddenly blue for me and how do I change it back?

edit: it seems to be a display bug when you're zoomed to a certain level. weird.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 1, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

zachol posted:

That still sounds dangerous.
Like I assumed it didn't actually do that but... "This causes the pressure of fluid within the sweat glands to rise to the point where they temporarily stop production"? Yeesh.

Well it's not like you're inhibiting every sweat gland in your body. You sweat from other places. They actually will inject botox into your armpits to stop sweating.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
My job pays a certain percentage of my salary in food stamps, because I live in a 3rd world country. I recently found a Walmart/Sams Club type store in which I can buy any kind of item with food stamps, including technology items. I currently have around $750 dollars in food stamps, I'm planning on buying something and reselling it later to exchange for cash or possibly profit.

What should I do? What kind of item should I buy?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Xandu posted:

The study is pretty much nonsense, but I think you're confused. Do you mean epidemiological studies?

That might be it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Cacahuate posted:

My job pays a certain percentage of my salary in food stamps, because I live in a 3rd world country. I recently found a Walmart/Sams Club type store in which I can buy any kind of item with food stamps, including technology items. I currently have around $750 dollars in food stamps, I'm planning on buying something and reselling it later to exchange for cash or possibly profit.

Find a buyer for something in the store first, THEN use the stamps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cacahuate posted:

In the United States, people typically turn food stamps into cash by directly trading it with someone who has money and is willing to accept the food stamps. e.g. A drug dealer might give you $75 or an equivalent amount of drugs for $100 of food stamps. In the US, this is illegal but stores often turn a blind eye to a guy using food stamp cards with several different names on them. Obviously, you won't break even or make a profit this way.