Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
best dog ever "laku", which means licorice in finnish. my wife is half finnish and expects me to learn it with the dog before i have to with my future children.

she celebrated her 2nd birthday with us just a few weeks ago.

she's a welsh-terrier mix and very lively outside, extremely well behaved in my office. we got her at 14 months old and she spent her first year on a farm where she used to hunt rats and other critters, so we have to manage with very strong hunting instincts...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sihastru
May 17, 2007
How dare I write anything here ?
Could any of you nice people identify what mix my dog is ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/roximoomoo/Puppuu

that would be the small brown pup, not the beagle :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Puppies are pretty much impossible to identify til they grow up a bit, but the ears and feet make me say Corgi mix. Probably a Chihuahua/Corgi mutt as those are popular 'designer' mixes. :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
^^^ That's exactly what I thought too. Super cute.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Sorry for the crappy pic, but it's the best I could get. Is this a byb yorkie? Some weirdo mutt?

It's my aunt's dog. Supposedly a yorkie with unspecified "papers". She's got floppy ears, a long fluffy tail, and is really long-backed. The short hair is because she was shaved, not natural.

Radio! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 19, 2011

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Looks like it could well be crossed with a maltese or something similar. She has that wavy coat that poodle mixes get sometimes as well.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah my money's on a badly bred (not that there's any other kind) "yorkiepoo" thing. I guess it's possible it's just a badly bred Yorkie, but goddamn they missed the mark pretty hard.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

That's what I figured. On the plus side, she's a rescue and my aunt doesn't think the dog's some kind of ~designer breed~, just a mutt. Thanks!

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Radio! posted:

That's what I figured. On the plus side, she's a rescue and my aunt doesn't think the dog's some kind of ~designer breed~, just a mutt. Thanks!

Yeah, I'd go with a yorkie/maltese mix. Yorkie's have short, stubby tails, so it definitely is mixed with something with a longer tail. Yorkie/maltese is common - Morkie is what the BYB call them. :negative:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

picklejars posted:

Yorkie's have short, stubby tails

The tail of the Yorkie is commonly docked and is actually fairly long when left intact. :science:

I wouldn't say its impossible that dog is just yorkie, given how terrible puppy mill stock can be but mixes are incredibly common and it's really hard to know for sure.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

The tail of the Yorkie is commonly docked and is actually fairly long when left intact. :science:

I wouldn't say its impossible that dog is just yorkie, given how terrible puppy mill stock can be but mixes are incredibly common and it's really hard to know for sure.

Okay. Mine is a Yorkie Bichon mix (rescue). Are you saying someone cut her tail? :cry:

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011
This is Star our older dog. He's a Beagle/Springer Spaniel mix. I don't have many of him because never sits still or looks at the camera. Plus most of his younger pictures weren't taken with a digital camera.

And some more of Poppy. Puppy pics!

From this......

....to this.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

picklejars posted:

Okay. Mine is a Yorkie Bichon mix (rescue). Are you saying someone cut her tail? :cry:

It's certainly possible. Someone docked my mutt's tail for no particular reason. Bichons have kind of short tails though so maybe she inherited that.

LeapFrog, your dogs are both super cute. I love the old spaniel-y hound-y face! Also eyebrow dogs are my favorite and you should give Poppy to me right now. I see maybe Aussie/Northern breed. She looks like a handful. :3:

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Hi, I'm curious about someone else's mutt again. The owner thinks she might be a Husky/Bernese Mountain Dog mix.

Here she is next to my Berner pup, weighing it at ~65 lbs. That isn't close to adult Berner weight at all, but on the other hand she's really bulky for a husky. A real beauty of a dog in any case.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Mal mix of some sort most likely.

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It's certainly possible. Someone docked my mutt's tail for no particular reason. Bichons have kind of short tails though so maybe she inherited that.

LeapFrog, your dogs are both super cute. I love the old spaniel-y hound-y face! Also eyebrow dogs are my favorite and you should give Poppy to me right now. I see maybe Aussie/Northern breed. She looks like a handful. :3:

Thanks, they sure are! Sure, you can take for a couple days, weeks, maybe months......because you're right about the handful thing lol. According to the people I got her from her mom was a Basset hound/Coonhound mix and her dad was a Lab/Husky mix, but many people have thought Aussie mix.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

LeapFrog posted:

Thanks, they sure are! Sure, you can take for a couple days, weeks, maybe months......because you're right about the handful thing lol. According to the people I got her from her mom was a Basset hound/Coonhound mix and her dad was a Lab/Husky mix, but many people have thought Aussie mix.

Huh, she really doesn't look hound-y at all to me. The colors are alright genetically (labs,huskies and many hounds can all carry tan points) although I might expect some white markings with that combination. Does she have a white chest or is that a diluted tan? The only weird part is that long hair is generally recessive so both parents would have to at least carry a long hair gene and hounds don't. Its so interesting to me to see how mixes of mixes turn out looking like other breeds.

Anyway, whatever she is she's 100% adorable.

LeapFrog
Nov 9, 2011
I know. I'm surprised she looked the most like a Husky out of all of them. To me, it looks like white mixed with tan on her chest and belly. I know it's hard to tell from the pictures but she does have white patches on her feet. The tip of her tail is white too and she has a tiny spot with white hair by her shoulder, plus the blue ticking on her nose. All those things are harder to see now that she's older though.

Well, the mother was a blue ticked Basset Hound and all the puppies in the litter were the exact same coloring as Poppy, except for one pup that was red and white, also half the puppies had bodies like a Basset Hound while the others were like Poppy. So, it seems possible to me. I love her anyway.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Engineer Lenk posted:

Meet Ru:

Ru was billed as a Schipperke mix at the shelter. I don't know whether to buy it. He's mostly black, has a foxy face and mid-length coarse-ish fur. But he also has a very lithe build - he weighs 14 lbs and stands 6 inches taller than my 12 lb Westie x Maltese. Any ideas?

I can barely get him to stand still, so no chance of stacked for Ru.

Side view:

Ok, blast from the past here, but my trainer and I were speculating about Ru's mutted up lineage, and she suggested schipperke x poodle, because apparently adding poodle can throw some unexpected coat changes.

Then (lol dogbreedinfo and the cutesy names) I found a dog that looks like him:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/schipperpoo.htm (Pierre, halfway down).

All gangly with the weird rough-ish coat and foxy ears.

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008
On the fast track to a punched face.
This is Henry.

His mom is supposedly a pure beagle, but was sort of scrawny in a rat terrier kinda way so who knows.

Based on some unsubstantiated account of a mating featuring a sorta-boxer-looking dog, Henry's mom's owners had all the puppies tails docked (thinking they could sell them as boxers...)

Henry is a puppyish dork, and he is honored to be the bumper of this awesome thread. There are some great baby pictures of him somewhere...

Rvrnd. Riot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 30, 2012

Ishkibibble_Fish
Feb 14, 2008

BananaHam:
1 part treefruit
1 part mud ungulate

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

This is Henry.

Beagle x Cattle Dog? He's really cute. Does he loooooove food?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Beagle x Cattle Dog? He's really cute. Does he loooooove food?

That's what I'm seeing too.
EDIT: The build and coloration on the dog are what really sells that mix to me.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 30, 2012

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Brisbane was supposed to be a beagle/cattledog. I showed him Henry and told him to get less fluffy.

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

Does he loooooove food?

Well, his ears are indicating to me that he's very interested in the poptart I just had to have when I stumbled in drunk tonight. One semi-stern "no beg" though and he is so, so ashamed.
I don't know about his mix, though his markings are so regular and lovely (especially when he was young (see first pic)) that I'm very sure he should be a breed of his own. His dashing blue tick scarf is an item of particular esteem.
He's dang smart and has tons of energy for his age. I taught him to shake in about ten minutes with little bits of biscuit (you're onto something, Fish-person) at age 7. Old dogs and new tricks indeed!

Scary Ned posted:

[fluff disparagement]
Henry wants to ask Brisbane for butt-fluff styling tips, but is afraid that he doesn't have quite enough of his own to be wasting an internet celebrity's time. I suggested that he stop worrying about it and go outside and do dog things instead.

Rvrnd. Riot fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 30, 2012

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I immediately thought beagle/cattle dog too when I saw him. This is the only instance in which I would approve of a designer dog name because then it could be a Battle Dog! :black101:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Rvrnd. Riot posted:

His dashing blue tick scarf is an item of particular esteem.
He's dang smart and has tons of energy for his age. I taught him to shake in about ten minutes with little bits of biscuit (you're onto something, Fish-person) at age 7.

He totally sounds like a cattledog mix, you should read about clicker training. Unfortunately, training him will probably ruin your expectations for lesser dogs who aren't as quick to catch on. This thread can help explain how Henry will eventually train you to do his bidding.

Rvrnd. Riot
Jan 12, 2008
Hot dang, everybody's jumping on this cattledog bandwagon(what an adorable, fun bandwagon). Seriously though, the first picture (about ten posts down the first page, with the cat) in that cattledog thread is perfectly Henry. Minus beagle plus tail of course. I'd always wondered about him having some heeler, but never really looked into it.

Scary Ned posted:

clicker training

The training thread (and especially a life less' videos) inspired me to try "shake" and showed me how to do it. I guessed Henry'd be sharp enough to manage without the clicker, and so he did. He lives with my folks, and I'm just visiting, so I didn't bother with buying and "charging" a clicker. Next time I'm a dog owner though, it's clicker all the way.
I'd like to rerail by noticing what an awesome looking dog Snow Job's malamute mix is... Reminds me of stylized CG attack wolves in cheesy movies.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My father-in-law's new dachshund! He is mostly dachshund but has slightly longer legs that suggest something else. I will post more pictures once I get a chance to meet him (he was taken home today).

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Any guesses? Shepherd and...? People keep telling me he's going to be a 60-70+ lb dog, but I'm not convinced. He's about 6 months old and 30 lbs at a good body condition.

Sorry, I don't have any good ones of his body where he's not wiggling... :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

El Jebus posted:

My father-in-law's new dachshund! He is mostly dachshund but has slightly longer legs that suggest something else. I will post more pictures once I get a chance to meet him (he was taken home today).

Jack Russell maybe? The eyebrows remind me of one. He's adorable. :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
So I'm currently fostering this handsome fella:

I'm pretty sure he's a mutt, I can't think of any one breed that looks like this. He's about 30lbs, and apparently I don't have a picture of it, but he has a big fluffy tail that curls up over his back. He looks a lot like an American Eskimo, but brindle.

Any ideas of what this sweet little fluff ball might be?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Looks like it could be an Aussie mix. Maybe even some Chow or pit in there...? Interesting looking for sure. How does Sunday like him? :3:

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Skizzles posted:

Looks like it could be an Aussie mix. Maybe even some Chow or pit in there...? Interesting looking for sure. How does Sunday like him? :3:

Oh she loves him, they're best buds. He has a lot of problems with resource guarding, both against dogs and humans, but he'll play tug of war with Sunday with no problems, and often even lets her share his food bowl with him at the same time.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Holy cow, that is a gorgeous dog. Yeah, the first thing I saw was maybe Australian Shepherd, then Chow. What do the shelter/vet records say?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Holy cow, that is a gorgeous dog. Yeah, the first thing I saw was maybe Australian Shepherd, then Chow. What do the shelter/vet records say?

I'm going to have to check with the rescue on that one. When they first sent me his picture they told me he was a brindle American Eskimo, but those don't actually seem to exist. I'm actually considering maybe adopting him, so if I do I'll definitely ask for the paperwork then. :)

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
Yay! Sunday would be so happy :3:

Also, I'm ashamed of a rescue group thinking that a brindle American Eskimo exists :downs:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Cross-posting from the small dogs thread! This is my little guy Rory:

I adopted him from the local humane society a few months ago. The vet thinks he's about three. He weighs 12 lbs.

Here he is with the 16 lb cat, for reference. The shelter listed him as a "terrier mix."

He almost never barks, except at other dogs. Honestly it's hard to tell too much about his personality because he's still very shy and withdrawn. He's pretty low energy, but is always up for a nice walk. He loves me and tolerates my boyfriend. He's doing pretty well with clicker training, but I think his shyness gets in the way of his learning certain things. He's not very food-motivated.

My guesses for possible contributing breeds are dachshund and chihuahua, and pit bull has also been suggested. I'd love to hear anyone's guesses! I find dog breeds and genetics so interesting, although at the end of the day it doesn't much matter what he is. He's my special guy :3:

ETA that he has a little curly tail, like a pug. It always curls to the left :3:

mickeymickey fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 11, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

The little turned-out feet always remind me of Dr. Seuss characters. Our friend's rescue Lhasa has them too.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My first dog has turned out feet too. All of her siblings had longer limbs so I dunno what happened there.

She's 13 now, a little arthritic and fat but otherwise healthy, she lives with my grandparents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed

Bear Rape posted:

My first dog has turned out feet too. All of her siblings had longer limbs so I dunno what happened there.

She's 13 now, a little arthritic and fat but otherwise healthy, she lives with my grandparents.

This dog looks like a regular sized dog with tiny little legs. How silly :3: