Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
15 pounds for the Jurassic Park trilogy boxset is pretty good considering buying just the first one in any nearby stores would cost me just as much.

Yes, I know. 2 & 3 suck. But still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema will be releasing The Birth of a Nation later this year. While Kino's remaster is excellent, they didn't really do much for extras besides including the 1930 re-release introduction and packaging the earlier DVD edition's supplemental disc with it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Coen Brothers Collection for 10 pounds? Sure.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I have this set and it's obviously a steal, but anyone buying it should consider replacement cases. The packaging is VERY cheap, to the point where it won't hold my discs anymore.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just pointing out that set has different movies then the American version (which has Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Just pointing out that set has different movies then the American version (which has Blood Simple/Fargo/Miller's Crossing/Raising Arizona)

Are you sure you're not confusing this dvd collection with this bluray collection?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing this dvd collection with this bluray collection?

Yes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

Yes.

Huh, must've glazed right over that. Carry on.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Ordered. Total came to USD $18.85 with shipping. Pretty great deal.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I bought that set awhile ago, it's great (other than that godawful case). Thanks for the heads up on that Jurassic Park set, Disappointed Owl, ordering that right now, glad I waited on that one!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Are there any plans to release the first Jurassic Park as a stand alone blu-ray? I prefer not to own the sequels.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Are there any plans to release the first Jurassic Park as a stand alone blu-ray? I prefer not to own the sequels.

Wait until the trilogy is cheap and buy it anyway. I don't like the sequels much either, but the special features are great. For $25-ish, it's absolutely worth it even if you only want the first movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Olive Films' rep confirmed on Home Theater Forum that High Noon, The Quiet Man, and Johnny Guitar will be released before the end of the year. :woop:

They're also working on a Betty Boop collection, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Secret of the Incas, Sands of Iwo Jima, and Rio Grande, among others.

The serials were not licensed, unfortunately.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Egbert Souse posted:

Olive Films' rep confirmed on Home Theater Forum that High Noon, The Quiet Man, and Johnny Guitar will be released before the end of the year. :woop:

They're also working on a Betty Boop collection, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Secret of the Incas, Sands of Iwo Jima, and Rio Grande, among others.

Every word of this is great news.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
High loving Noon. :dance:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Classic westerns on blu-ray get me excited!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Upon returning from the US/Canada with a tiny haul compared to last time (only grabbed The Muppets and that sweet-o Taxi Driver set) to Aussie-land, I found my PS3 had up and died on me; I was able to snag a $79 cheapie from a Best Buy equivalent. It turns out it does all regions. I've just dropped $200 on my very first Criterions; the BBS Boxset, The Great Dictator, Videodrome, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I can't wait.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Something Weird is releasing another 2-pack. This time the movies are The Wizard Of Gore and The Gore Gore Girls

May 1 - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B0074B2N76

There's another 2-pack after that coming July 3rd but there is no preorder link yet (should be the same price)

quote:

Chesty Morgan's Bosom Buddies

The eye-popping, excessively endowed Chesty Morgan attacks the mob with two of the most incredible DEADLY WEAPONS ever seen on the motion picture screen: her 73-inch breasts!

Chesty then returns as DOUBLE AGENT 73, who busts up a drug ring with the aid of a camera implanted in one of her breasts. But the camera is also a time bomb making her boob... well, booby trapped!

Finally, THE IMMORAL THREE are the three daughters of a spy mom who must avenge her death in order to collect a three-million-dollar inheritance in this third mind-boggling epic from cult director Doris Wishman!

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 3, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just received my Jurassic Park box and I've got some questions.

Why would they put the ugly rear end BLU-RAYtm + DIGITAL COPYtm logo or whatever so predominantly on the cover? It's ugly as hell.

And second, can anyone explain to me why we need Digital Copy discs? Wouldn't it have been much easier just to include a code that people could redeem on iTunes?

Seriously, what's the point of those three extra discs in your box set? They take up space, make the set way bulkier than necessary and also, they loving expire. So at some point they just become loving useless discs in your bulky rear end box set.

Never mind the fact that they become useless when you use them once as well.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Amazon UK has two different Alien Anthology sets. These two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B006MGB31Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333453746&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333453746&sr=8-1

One of them is £17 while the other is £10 - the expensive one is the 6-disc set with a bunch of extra material, while the cheap one has just the films. Is the bonus material worth almost doubling the price - and are there any differences in the quality of the transfers, as far as any of you might know?

csidle fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 3, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

csidle posted:

Amazon UK has two different Alien Anthology sets. These two:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B006MGB31Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333453746&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B003AQBYUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333453746&sr=8-1

One of them is £17 while the other is £10 - the expensive one is the 6-disc set with a bunch of extra material, while the cheap one has just the films. Is the bonus material worth almost doubling the price - and are there any differences in the quality of the transfers, as far as any of you might know?

Transfers are the same, but the extras were rather impressive. But if you're pretty certain you won't venture into the extras, no reason to spend more money.

I don't know about the packaging though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A bunch of new price drops on Amazon.

Take Shelter - $17.99
It Might Get Loud - $9.49
Big Trouble In Little China - $8.99
Gamera Double Feature - $4.99

Kind of surprised to see Take Shelter drop in price so quickly after release. Usually Sony Pictures Classic Blu-Ray take forever and a half to drop.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Speed Racer is 4 pounds.

You know, I couldn't even make it through the first 5 minutes, but I'm tempted to get it anyway for that price and give it another shot.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The movie itself might not be all that great, but the picture quality and the rich colors are worth it alone.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Harlock posted:

The movie itself might not be all that great, but the picture quality and the rich colors are worth it alone.

I still remember the gnashing of teeth when they found out it was pressed on a single layer disc.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
The larger Alien box set is region free, correct? Just curious,because amazon uk says region 2. But if its region free, I'm definitely ordering it today.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I bought the green UK Alien Anthology box set and I'm in the US and it plays in my PS3

The blue one didn't exist a year ago when I bought mine

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Why are Star Trek seasons on bluray/dvd always so insanely expensive when compared to other series?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Why are Star Trek seasons on bluray/dvd always so insanely expensive when compared to other series?

Because nerds will pay for them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm not sure if this is the case with Star Trek but sometimes a video release of a tv show is expensive because of the cost of certain rights the publisher had to buy. When Freaks and Geeks came to DVD it was originally stupid expensive because of the music rights.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think they also did a significant amount of reworking of the series, as well. Not just making sure that the visuals were up to snuff, but it seems like they even redid some of the visuals, like of the Enterprise and whatnot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Picked up a copy of sunshine from a used store the other day. Turns out theres a really annoying issue with this movie, involving pip. Is there any solution to it? All I can find are people nothing about it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kingtheninja posted:

Picked up a copy of sunshine from a used store the other day. Turns out theres a really annoying issue with this movie, involving pip. Is there any solution to it? All I can find are people nothing about it.

The disc must be replaced.

Google says:

"20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will provide replacement Blu-ray discs to any consumer who has had an issue playing their copy of the movie "Sunshine." Customers can contact Fox customer service at 888-223-4369. They will require the customer's address and name to ship a replacement disc."

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

morestuff posted:

Because nerds will pay for them.

CPL593H posted:

I'm not sure if this is the case with Star Trek but sometimes a video release of a tv show is expensive because of the cost of certain rights the publisher had to buy. When Freaks and Geeks came to DVD it was originally stupid expensive because of the music rights.

GrandpaPants posted:

I think they also did a significant amount of reworking of the series, as well. Not just making sure that the visuals were up to snuff, but it seems like they even redid some of the visuals, like of the Enterprise and whatnot.

Dammit, I've only ever seen some episodes of Voyager and The Next Generation and maybe some movies (I remember really liking Generations when I was like, 12 but people seem to loathe that one) and I just want to get the original series for pop culture history reasons.

Prices are ridiculous; gently caress you Star Trek.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Dammit, I've only ever seen some episodes of Voyager and The Next Generation and maybe some movies (I remember really liking Generations when I was like, 12 but people seem to loathe that one) and I just want to get the original series for pop culture history reasons.

The blu ray sampler pack for TNG was great. The series is going to look awesome but it's going to be soooooo expensive. Hopefully it sells enough/does well enough in syndication that they do DS9 too (Voyager can go to hell).

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lizard Combatant posted:

The blu ray sampler pack for TNG was great. The series is going to look awesome but it's going to be soooooo expensive. Hopefully it sells enough/does well enough in syndication that they do DS9 too (Voyager can go to hell).

Costs a ton to digitally edit out all that black construction paper the sets were made of. :v:

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

So, this - probably my most anticipated Blu Ray release - showed up in Australia & Germany last week with no fanfare at all.

I can't find any reviews, and barely a mention of the release at all. Pretty skeptical of the quality, especially due to the amount of stock footage used, and the rumors that Criterion are currently working on a release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Dissapointed Owl posted:

CBS paid out the rear end to redo the optical effects.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The cool thing is that you can swap between the new effects and old ones with a push of the button.

If you only want to watch them, I think both Amazon Prime and Netflix has the full series available in HD.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 4, 2012

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Serak posted:

So, this - probably my most anticipated Blu Ray release - showed up in Australia & Germany last week with no fanfare at all.

I can't find any reviews, and barely a mention of the release at all. Pretty skeptical of the quality, especially due to the amount of stock footage used, and the rumors that Criterion are currently working on a release.

The Baraka blu-ray was handled pretty well except for the cheap cardboard case (which they've since rectified) so hopefully I'd assume there would be care taken for a proper release of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Serak posted:

It's definitely an upgrade, but it's not great given the amount of 16mm footage and what appears to be an older scan.

http://www.hundland.org/hd/k/k.htm#koyaanisqatsi

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2012

• Locked thread