Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mordecai posted:

Also, any tips for not getting crushed into goo? Things seem to hit me on just about every swing, and I haven't seen much in the way of good light armour.

3 points in conjuration will summon a bigass armored ogre that will work just fine for like half the game. Don't bother with any further conjuration though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WarLocke posted:

I was reading the Legend of Grimrock thread and kind of bummed that such a sweet looking game is real-time, but somebody brought up Wizardy 8 in terms of a similar dungeon-crawlish game that was turn-based. What's the opinion on that? Good game, bad? Should I look into it?

why is everybody so pissed about this, there are plenty of real time dungeon crawlers and many of them were awesome.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I have no idea. I think I prefer turn-based myself but holy gently caress it's an old-school style PC RPG with great graphics and a UI that wasn't designed in the dark ages. Those of us reading this thread can't be really picky in an era where Mass Effect 1 was considered a hardcore RPG.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Huh, the Bard's Tale guide I used to make my party said monk, 2 paladins, bard, magician, conjuror, and then later replace one of the paladins with a third magic user.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

WarLocke posted:

I was reading the Legend of Grimrock thread and kind of bummed that such a sweet looking game is real-time, but somebody brought up Wizardy 8 in terms of a similar dungeon-crawlish game that was turn-based. What's the opinion on that? Good game, bad? Should I look into it?

Wizardry 8 is awesome, and ended the main series with a bang, as compared to Ultima and M&M which went out with whimpers. It's the weakest game of the 6-7-8 trilogy in my opinion but it's still a really good game. For a lot of people it's their favorite Wizardry though. Opinion seems to differ based on whether or not you'd played 6/7--those who haven't seem to like 8 better, those who have seem to like their predecessors more.

The true answer, of course, is to make your party in Wizardry 6 and bring it through all three games. There's even an easter eggs in 8 for those of us who were crazy enough to do so.

edit:

AlmightyBob posted:

Huh, the Bard's Tale guide I used to make my party said monk, 2 paladins, bard, magician, conjuror, and then later replace one of the paladins with a third magic user.

That's a fine party. You don't even need to replace the paladin with a third magic user if you don't want to. Bard's Tale 1 is pretty decent in that it's fairly balanced; so long as you have at least two or three decent front-line fighters and two spellcasters you'll be OK. My original party way back in the day was Paladin-Hunter-Bard-Thief-Caster-Caster and I had no difficulty beating the game.

The only time party composition can become problematic is in parts of BT2 and BT3 where balance turns to poo poo. About halfway through BT2 the game starts throwing huge numbers of monsters with ridiculous levels of HP, such that casters become the only classes that have a chance at killing anything within a reasonable period of time. Warriors/Paladins/Monks with their multiple attacks can still often kill a monster a turn, as can Hunters with their critting ability. Thieves and Bards become basically one-trick-ponies for trap disarming and singing respectively, and their utility in battle basically dies because 50 points of damage/round doesn't do much when you're facing a group of 35 monsters with 600 HP each.

Bard's Tale 3 is even worse; by the end enemies have so much HP that if a character can't crit them they're basically nothing but a meat shield for your casters. It's also in BT3 that it helps to have a third caster because one of your them is going to have to sacrifice all their spells to become a Chronomancer, which you need to beat the game but has middling spells in comparison. Having only one traditional caster is probably doable but in a game where magic-users are as crucial as they are in BT, I imagine it's not easy.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 31, 2012

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

WarLocke posted:

I was reading the Legend of Grimrock thread and kind of bummed that such a sweet looking game is real-time,
So were the Eye of the Beholder games and that was fine, IMO.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

It's a pretty good game, and while having played the previous games (6 & 7 especially) helps, it isn't necessary.

The one thing to be careful of is leveling up too quickly. The random encounters will level up as well, and since your skills level independently of your character level you can end up way outclassed. This is really only a major concern until you hit the first town, but I recall that when the game was released the enemy scaling caught a lot of new players off guard.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

andrew smash posted:

why is everybody so pissed about this, there are plenty of real time dungeon crawlers and many of them were awesome.

Yeah, but even back then people still had preferences. I liked Dungeon Master but I can absolutely see why someone wouldn't and would prefer Wizardry or Might and Magic instead.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I prefer the turn-based Might & Magic style myself*, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm still totally excited for Grimrock.

Anyway if Grimrock is successful maybe we'll see someone bring back the M&M style. :)

* Because I have the twitch reflexes of a brain-damaged quadriplegic sloth.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I find Wizardry 8 to be pretty god damned difficult.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

An Enormous Boner posted:

I made it to the first town after a very difficult journey through a lot of random badguys. I thought I was safe here. Nope, turns out poo poo still attacks you even in town. The game really does throw you into the deep end and God forbid you didn't first consult the internet on what classes to pick.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's been a while since I've played it, but the early sections of Wizardry 8 are extremely difficult. Everything from the Monastery to Arnika to the next town down is an incredible grind. Things do get better, though, not so much because monster attacks get less frequent later in the game, but because you get better able to handle them as your characters level up.

One tip I definitely recall: Concentrate on spells for your casters which confer status effects, particularly things like fear or nausea or webs, things which will temporarily incapacitate groups of enemies. Anything that takes the pressure off, even for a few moments, can be a life-saver in a fight, and direct damage spells, while they have their place, just aren't effective enough by comparison at early levels.

Also use spells like Bless and Enchanted Blade and other party buffs when you can. Not only does casting these over and over help train up the appropriate magic skills, but they make a significant difference, especially early on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

andrew smash posted:

Combining real-time and grid-based is a crime in any era. It's just inherently clunky no matter how well-executed it is otherwise.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Combining real-time and grid-based is a crime in any era. It's just inherently clunky no matter how well-executed it is otherwise.

I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I liked Dungeon Master 2 and all but the timing-based puzzles were the worst thing about it. On the other, the combat would really lose something if it were purely turn-based.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I have an original copy of Wizardry 8 that I still haven't really put the time into. Not sure if I want to go back through Wizardry Gold first.

Anyone remember this from the manual? Keep in mind there were 9 years between the original release of Wiz VII and the 2001 release of 8:

:3:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Yeah, there are a couple of things that make the game really difficult, especially at the start.

1) Skills level up mainly with use, and not with character level
2) Enemies get stronger as your character level increases
3) Formation and terrain *matter*
4) Status effects and buffs can make or break you

You really do need to focus on raising your skills at first, especially for magic users. You don't have to power level them (though you can, and there are guides on which spells work best for it), but you should definitely be using up all your sp before you rest.

Also, whenever possible make sure your party can back up against a wall when you're in combat. Things can go from bad to worse in a hurry if you get surrounded by enemies. Putting characters with extended reach (think polearms) weapons on the flanks is also a good idea, since they should be able to hit just about anything in melee range from there.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I have an original copy of Wizardry 8 that I still haven't really put the time into. Not sure if I want to go back through Wizardry Gold first.

Ugh, Wizardry Gold. I have that too but the DOS version is much better. There were some weird-rear end bugs in Wizardry Gold, though it's perfectly playable. Personally if you don't have the DOS version, I'd say play that, otherwise do Wizardry Gold first before 8. You can transfer your characters and it's a better game IMO. It is significantly harder than Wizardry 8 though, to the point that Wizardry 8 will seem ridiculously easy coming from it.

quote:

Anyone remember this from the manual? Keep in mind there were 9 years between the original release of Wiz VII and the 2001 release of 8:

:3:

Oh yeah I remember that all too well. I was so jazzed to import my uberparty into Wizardry 8...only to discover that they had been totally neutered. :v: Something is seriously wrong with my adventurers. Seriously, you had a Blade Cuisinart' and the Cane of Corpus and you decided to leave those behind in favor of some Golden Apples and Moser's Mojo Tea!?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember using status effects much in Wizardry 8, and I paid for it. It wasn't until later that I found out that it's one of those uncommon RPGs where you're expected to use them.

Great game though. I hope 6 and 7 end up on GoG sometime, I'd love to play them.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Someone in the Wasteland 2 kickstarter thread mentioned Knights of the Chalice and I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with it or anything to say about it. We've been talking about Avadon and the Geneforge Saga anyway (both of which now have their own threads, linked in the OP), so I figure this is fair game, too. It looks interesting to me, but I also balk at anything not on Steam/GOG.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Knights of the Chalice is *really* excellent if you enjoy the turnbased combat. The story is basically a footnote but there combat is really good and there are some very nice encounters. It's one of my favorite indie releases ever.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I played Knights of the Chalice a bunch a few months ago, it's a pretty fun game. The story is pretty non-existent, but the actual dungeon crawling is good. It probably has the best crafting system in any game I ever played since you just have to spend xp and gold to create or enchant items.

[e] If you decide to play it make sure you save in a new slot when you decide to go to a new area. There is quite a few ways to gently caress yourself over by going to hard combat areas with low hp/spells and not being able to beat battles or find a camp (the only way to heal)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'll third that recommendation for KotC. Very fun combat, charming sprite graphics and I personally really loved the interface. The fights can be very challenging especially in the beginning so make sure you make proper use of all your abilities and come in with at least some decent knowledge of 3rd edition D&D.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Yeah, KotC was great. If you can get over the graphics it's probably some of the best turn based combat around. It gave me very fond memories of the Gold Box games.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

seorin posted:

It looks interesting to me, but I also balk at anything not on Steam/GOG.

It's also really expensive from what I expect indie games to charge (about $24), I wouldn't have even picked up Avadon from Spiderweb Software, but it got on steam at a much more reasonable price.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
Knights of the Chalice is the best RPG in like 5 or 6 years. It has the best combat of any RPG I've ever played, a charming and fun world to explore, a great character system, decent and non-intrusive writing and story. It's a game everyone who cares about RPGs needs to play.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Wow, that's a lot more overwhelmingly positive responses than I expected. I will have to give it a try. Thanks!

If anyone wants to do a write up for it, I'd be glad to throw it in the main section of the OP, too.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Hey guys, I ended up jumping into Planescape this weekend, my first RPG that's neither on a current-gen system or made by Square and its kind of kicking my rear end. I glimpsed a guide for stat placement because I was having a rough time getting a handle on this whole thing but it seemed to steer towards being a mage. Should I go fighter since this is basically baby's first isometric RPG for me? Will I miss out on hella dialogue and plot (the main reason I'm playing the game)?

For reference, I tried to do some first-area quest to clear out a mausoleum and am getting raped by undead. After taking down a couple I basically keep blacking out and waking up back at the mortuary, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

Help!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Playing a fighter in PS:T makes the game harder, not easier, even before accounting for all the dialogue options and free XP you get from better mental stats.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey guys, I ended up jumping into Planescape this weekend, my first RPG that's neither on a current-gen system or made by Square and its kind of kicking my rear end. I glimpsed a guide for stat placement because I was having a rough time getting a handle on this whole thing but it seemed to steer towards being a mage. Should I go fighter since this is basically baby's first isometric RPG for me? Will I miss out on hella dialogue and plot (the main reason I'm playing the game)?

For reference, I tried to do some first-area quest to clear out a mausoleum and am getting raped by undead. After taking down a couple I basically keep blacking out and waking up back at the mortuary, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong.

Help!
Just go do some other quests. I think you can grab 2 more party members without much more in the way of combat and you'll probably level up along the way.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Playing a fighter in PS:T makes the game harder, not easier, even before accounting for all the dialogue options and free XP you get from better mental stats.

It's almost impossible to actually lose the game by dying and you'll get way, way more of the actual story/plot by having high Wis/Int/Cha (mostly Wis IIRC) so whether you go Fighter or not I'd forget about the physical stats until you have your mental ones maxed.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

You need a lady bard, constantly laying down the best buffs and best attacks at all times, generally making everyone's life easier and rocking out. With the female-only stamina gear and some buffs you can keep going forever.

Actually an all female party would be able to run away from the 99% of the random encounters and speed up the game immensely.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Wolfsheim posted:

Help!

You're immortal. It doesn't matter if you get your rear end kicked, just go back and give the skeletons some payback. Also, there is another available party member near the starting area. He and Morte will take care most of the enemies in the early game, no matter how much you suck in combat.

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 2, 2012

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Thuryl posted:

I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I liked Dungeon Master 2 and all but the timing-based puzzles were the worst thing about it. On the other, the combat would really lose something if it were purely turn-based.

The combat would lose being this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI1aMq_5pgs. I hate real time combat in games like this, since I don't think it really adds anything, it just devolves the game into a button masher where you click the 4 attack buttons in a row until your wrists bleed. I wish they'd at least give a keybind that makes all your characters able to attack do so.

Then again, I'll probably get it anyway, so..

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Wolfsheim posted:

Help!

Mage is harder in the sense that you have to read the spells and kinda figure out for yourself how to use them. There won't be a tutorial that tells you the best times to use whatever spells. Once you do figure it out though, things will be easier for you. It will also help ease you in to something like Baldur's Gate, which should absolutely be the next game you try. I glanced at the stat stuff in this guide and he gives some info on how to make a character based around getting all the dialogue and story options.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
Age of Decadence, the quite old school turn-based RPG mentioned earlier in this thread, is now up for pre-order:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.0.html

The price is $25, and the anticipated release date is sometime 2013.

CrookedB fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 3, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CrookedB posted:

Age of Decadence, the quite old school turn-based RPG mentioned earlier in this thread, is now up for pre-order:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2584.0.html

The price is $25, and the anticipated release date is sometime 2013.

Tried the demo, and while I loved the consequences of your actions thing, I couldn't get over how awful the interface felt. Is there some preferred way of playing this?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
They've taken some flack for the interface, especially as far as combat and crafting are concerned, and promised to make it more intuitive. Personally I only had problems with figuring out crafting at first, the rest was fine with me from the get-go. (But bear in mind I'm even okay with old Wizardry or Goldbox interface, so I'm not the one to speak on that.)

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Tried the demo, and while I loved the consequences of your actions thing, I couldn't get over how awful the interface felt. Is there some preferred way of playing this?

Was there anything in particular that really bothered you? I'm in the closed beta and in that they've changed the font to something that is a lot easier to read. I think they will introduce more tooltips and such later on.

I'm also in the camp of playing more old games than new so the interface (obviously very inspired by the Fallouts) feels pretty intuitive for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What are the recommended starting stats to get the best dialogue options in Planescape: Torment?

I know the general idea is Wisdom > Intelligence > Charisma, but I read somewhere that's there's a fairly important check early on that requires high charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I think I remember that the optimum build for the maximum number of dialogue options is to start with 18 wis, 16 int, and 14 charisma. Then raise charisma to 15, int to 18 and wis to 20 in that order. If I'm remembering right there is an early charisma check that requires 15 but you still have the option of a wisdom check instead, its just not the optimal choice. So if you really want to get that start with 15 int/ 15 charisma.