Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

hobocrunch posted:

Finished up my Wold Guardian. I just figured out how to use my camera properly and now I have depression because it so easily points out my painting flaws. That being said- pretty happy with it, and it looks brilliant if you squint...

Yeah I agree that looks pretty rad but something on the base to contrast a bit or even having the wood parts a different colour would make it even more impressive. I dig how your glowy runes came out though; I haven't gotten anything to look anywhere near that good yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

InternetJunky posted:

I'm currently putting together my Titan Gladiator that came in the starter pack and am pretty disappointed by the huge gaps in all the pieces after assembly. Is this normal for these minis? I'm going to have to spend hours filling gaps with putty now :(

I assume you got the metal ones? Sadly, they do have a bunch of gaps, it's so your battlebox didn't cost $20 more for a solid block of metal. Filling the gaps is a bit of work, but the Gladiator is a model that you will find a spot for in 99% of your lists.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

InternetJunky posted:

I'm currently putting together my Titan Gladiator that came in the starter pack and am pretty disappointed by the huge gaps in all the pieces after assembly. Is this normal for these minis? I'm going to have to spend hours filling gaps with putty now :(

Yep, thats pretty normal. Assemble all of your models, then mix up a bunch of GS or whatever putty you use and have at it. It wont take hours.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Ye Worse User-name posted:

Yeah I agree that looks pretty rad but something on the base to contrast a bit or even having the wood parts a different colour would make it even more impressive. I dig how your glowy runes came out though; I haven't gotten anything to look anywhere near that good yet.

I wanted to put some kind of green living thing on the base. But basically I live no where near anything and I'm not sure what to order online.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Plastic aquarium plants or flock and gravel or whatever really.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Ashcans posted:

That looks pretty awesome, the glowing blue is very cool. I would have done another accent color in there, maybe put a little bit of contrast on the base, but it looks good. Don't let photography get you down!

Paint the vines/sticks/ropes in nice bright colours that contrast the rock. It'll look fantastic.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

InternetJunky posted:

To be honest, the Skorne starter is probably the hardest to assemble. It's well worth it, as Morghul1 and the Gladiator are completely sweet models that will carry you through any level of play. The Cyclopes are, well, good for the starter, but you'll likely be swapping them out later. The good news is the plastic kits are coming soon, so gap filling is not going to be a constant companion, just in this case.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

PaintVagrant posted:

Yep, thats pretty normal. Assemble all of your models, then mix up a bunch of GS or whatever putty you use and have at it. It wont take hours.

On this note of skorne metal fuckery, did anyone else have a hell of a time assembling cyclops brutes?
The arms aren't clearly paired, and the left arm of each one is JUST similar enough to make figuring out which is which a pain in the dick, not to mention they dont fit flushly, so I kept trying to jigger it into place before I gave up, filed off the prongs and greenstuffed it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah the savage is universally reviled as one of the most annoying models to assemble in the skorne range.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
SOLD

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 4, 2012

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
No international shipping?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

dexefiend posted:

PPPPPPPPPPPRICE DROP!

$35.00 EACH SHIPPED IN THE US BY UPS WITH A TRACKING NUMBER!

drat thats a good deal!

I just bought my brother the Khador starter box, would two extra Jacks and a Man O' War be a good investment to get him up to the next point level?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
The price sure can't be beat, but you would need some additional warcasters that are better able to utilize a jack heavy force like that.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Andrew Galea over at rhqTV has another one of his great video Battle Reports up, Trolls v Legion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimjCOFMLtk&feature=player_embedded

These are really great, I hope he can keep them up, gotta be a ton of work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hobocrunch posted:

Finished up my Wold Guardian. I just figured out how to use my camera properly and now I have depression because it so easily points out my painting flaws. That being said- pretty happy with it, and it looks brilliant if you squint...

Looking good in a zoomed in photo and looking good on the table are often two entirely different things, so don't sweat it too much.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

Andrew Galea over at rhqTV has another one of his great video Battle Reports up, Trolls v Legion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimjCOFMLtk&feature=player_embedded

These are really great, I hope he can keep them up, gotta be a ton of work.

I've been watching quite a bit of rhqTV lately, good stuff. First time I've seen a battle engine in a batrep tho, should be interesting.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Starkk posted:

I've been watching quite a bit of rhqTV lately, good stuff. First time I've seen a battle engine in a batrep tho, should be interesting.

The War Wagon was BIG that game, it's what kept Trolls in it. The mistakes he made on the Fell Caller with Blood Fury were so painful though. Good lesson to be on top of your rules, I'm going back over everything right now.

Edit: Here's a write-up with Andrew's thoughts: http://www.rankingshq.com/tavern/post.aspx?Id=12456&RoomId=3

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 31, 2012

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

The War Wagon was BIG that game, it's what kept Trolls in it. The mistakes he made on the Fell Caller with Blood Fury were so painful though. Good lesson to be on top of your rules, I'm going back over everything right now.

Edit: Here's a write-up with Andrew's thoughts: http://www.rankingshq.com/tavern/post.aspx?Id=12456&RoomId=3

I just got to the point where he got a critical with Horthol's long hammer on Typhon and forgot the rule that it would cause typhon to lose his 3 initial attacks, that's gotta suck.

Oh man and there goes the Fell Caller w/ Blood Fury mistake.

Starkk fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 31, 2012

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm going to be near a mini store today and was going to pick up a unit for my starting Skorne warband. What's a good unit to get as a starting unit to add to the initial warpack?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

InternetJunky posted:

I'm going to be near a mini store today and was going to pick up a unit for my starting Skorne warband. What's a good unit to get as a starting unit to add to the initial warpack?

Pain Giver Beast Handlers.

Right after the warpack, there is no other choice.

Well, they are your BEST choice, but other good options include: Nihilators, Venator Reivers with their UA (IMO, at least,) and Praetorian Ferox.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Can someone clarify me rules on Girded vs AOE + Corrosion?

I had the Ironback Spitter firing at Druids in B2B contact with a Wold Guardian who has the ability Girded. Now the attack missed it's first shot, against the Druids who had cast their cloud effects. Not surprising. But that scattered over roughly 3 druids who were also in B2B contact with my Guardian. But at least from what the rules say the Corrosion effect hits because the Blast Template hits.

Then I got to wondering if because the Corrosion was a blast effect that if Girded stopped that, and even if it did maybe it wouldn't stop it because it's not a direct damage spell, and Girded only says "Damage".

Someone clarify this please.. I'm confused..

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Feeple posted:

Pain Giver Beast Handlers.

Right after the warpack, there is no other choice.

Well, they are your BEST choice, but other good options include: Nihilators, Venator Reivers with their UA (IMO, at least,) and Praetorian Ferox.
Perfect, thanks!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Anyone have decent battle reports for Cryx? I'm putting stuff together all day today and need some tactics to listen to. Cygnar works too.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

hobocrunch posted:

Can someone clarify me rules on Girded vs AOE + Corrosion?

I had the Ironback Spitter firing at Druids in B2B contact with a Wold Guardian who has the ability Girded. Now the attack missed it's first shot, against the Druids who had cast their cloud effects. Not surprising. But that scattered over roughly 3 druids who were also in B2B contact with my Guardian. But at least from what the rules say the Corrosion effect hits because the Blast Template hits.

Then I got to wondering if because the Corrosion was a blast effect that if Girded stopped that, and even if it did maybe it wouldn't stop it because it's not a direct damage spell, and Girded only says "Damage".

Someone clarify this please.. I'm confused..

Short answer: Girded does not prevent the Continuous: Corrosion effect; it affects all models hit. This applies to Continuous: Fire as well.

I found this out the hard way when my Battle Mages (who are immune to blast) went up against a Vanquisher (whose gun is an AOE 3 with Continuous Fire). Many mages died that day.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 31, 2012

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Paper Kaiju posted:

Many mages died that day.

It was a pretty good day.

:menoth4lyfe:

But yeah what she said is right, it doesn't stop the continuous effects, just the damage.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Locomotive breath posted:

It was a pretty good day.

:menoth4lyfe:

Except for at the end where Severius died to a barrage of Brutal Stormfall arrows and Manticore lasers. While camping 7 focus.

:killallhumans:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I won my first game in our Attriscalation League today! Also my second win since returning to MkII. :v:

I was playing Highborn against Searforge, at 15pts:

Ashlynn d'Elyse (*6pts)
* Vanguard (5pts)
* Nomad (6pts)
Captain Sam MacHorne & the Devil Dogs (Sam and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Buccaneer (3pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)

vs.

Gorten Grundback (*7pts)
* Grundback Blaster (3pts)
* Grundback Blaster (3pts)
* Ghordson Driller (6pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Thor Steinhammer (2pts)

He basically came up the middle with the Driller behind the Forgeguard and a Blaster on each flank. I threw the Devil Dogs and Rhupert in to stall his line while flanking with Ashlynn and her battle group to try to get to Gorten.

The Forgeguard took apart the Devil Dogs pretty easily, but it took them a turn or so. During that time I wrecked the Blaster on the flank (Nomad threw it into the Driller!) and got Ashlynn around his flank.

Here is where stuff went pear-shaped. I had misjudged my distances, and he managed to Landslide Ashlynn into combat with Gorten under Strength of Granite. At this point I was ready to pack it in, but he came up short of killing her by one box, and couldn't bring anything else to bear.

Next turn Ashlynn dumped all her focus into a series of boosted Weaponmaster attacks, and took out Gorten. So I won, but only by the narrowest of margins and entirely on the dice.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
Got some more lights for my lightbox and got a better shot of my newly painted Kromac:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Acceptableloss posted:

Got some more lights for my lightbox and got a better shot of my newly painted Kromac:

Lookin' pretty boss, dude! :D

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Paper Kaiju posted:

Short answer: Girded does not prevent the Continuous: Corrosion effect; it affects all models hit. This applies to Continuous: Fire as well.

I found this out the hard way when my Battle Mages (who are immune to blast) went up against a Vanquisher (whose gun is an AOE 3 with Continuous Fire). Many mages died that day.

Vanquisher is AOE 4

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gay Polymers posted:

Vanquisher is AOE 4

I stand corrected. Either way, it cooked some mages.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Crossposting from the Saga Thread

Mikael Kreoss posted:

March
  • pMe - 5 points
  • Full KEE+UA - 10 points
Total = 15 points

COMPLETE, along with Bonus KEE Seneschal!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Played in my first hardcore (with no painting requirements) today, went 3-2 and got 6th place overall out of 19 players. Super fun, 7 minute turns is hairy!

I ran this list:

gaspy1: canker, deathjack, deathripper, leviathan, full banes, sauce, saxon, warwitch siren, min blood witches and hag, necrotech

Played:

1 - grimm: out-attritioned him and assassinated him after he tried a hail mary.

2 - karkevich: parasite+feat killed all his kayazy, banes + parasite killed all his jacks. Lost only a handful of army points.

3 - borka: close attrition-fest, both of us had our 2 heavies left, but his were near dead. I won thanks to tartarus charging a dude in his zone, winning me the game because he was in the zone at dice down. (3rd tiebreaker)

4 - venethrax: got jammed, lost my arc node thanks to my stupidity, couldnt cut into his huge wave of infantry (army had 45+ models) because lamentation shut down my BoC spam. Feated and then had my turn end before I could roll the pulse against the 20+ low armor models inside it. I lost flailing against an armor 28 venethrax, lol. I did make 6 banes off of one tartarus thresher though, that was sweet.

5 - harby: hadnt played against her before, forgot she had martyr, went for dumb assassination early and because of that lost a few critical pieces. Came back pretty hard late game, but we got dice downed and he had a jack in my zone. Def learned some cool things for next time I play her (like get the blood hag as close as possible to shut down martyrdom.)

Felt really good about my new faction, and for the most part I felt I played really well. Definitely my best tourney so far. The two guys I lost to were 2nd and 3rd overall. Neutralyze took it home against Venethrax in a tight game for the final.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2012

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Sounds like your list did really well, PV, congratulations. Though, sometimes it has to suck to play in the meta you do when it comes tournament time. You only have like two or three of the top five WMH players to worry about.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thanks! Chuck ran it, and I didnt play Jake!

I actually didnt play anyone in the detroit meta except my last opponent, and hes a dude who is sort of coming back to the game after a hiatus, so I had never played him before.

That being said, the path to the finals went through jake and ray (flint guy) and I got curbstomped by ray. I generally like playing against top guys a lot. Theres a nice spread of factions and player skills. I can hang with most of the guys, some of the time, if that makes any sense.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

I actually played a tournament today as well, and all I have to say is gently caress Druids, gently caress those loving fuckers! :argh:

I went first with an infantry heavy Terminus list. Infantry runs, Terminus casts Maladiction on himself and charges forward. The circle player's first turn, the druids advance and start force bolting. Very first one is a crit knockdown and that's game right there, he reeled me in 13 inches then charged with a Primal'd, Lightning Tendril'd, Warped Strength Feral and two shots me on the first turn. :smithicide:

If he hadn't got that crit it would have been a normal game too, instead it was over in about 8 minutes total.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

The Aberrant posted:

I actually played a tournament today as well, and all I have to say is gently caress Druids, gently caress those loving fuckers! :argh:

I went first with an infantry heavy Terminus list. Infantry runs, Terminus casts Maladiction on himself and charges forward. The circle player's first turn, the druids advance and start force bolting. Very first one is a crit knockdown and that's game right there, he reeled me in 13 inches then charged with a Primal'd, Lightning Tendril'd, Warped Strength Feral and two shots me on the first turn. :smithicide:

If he hadn't got that crit it would have been a normal game too, instead it was over in about 8 minutes total.

Were there times turns? I have heard using druids well in a timed turn is pretty hard due to all the fiddly measurements. Timed turns seem frightening.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Yeah there was timed turns, 12 minutes with 1 five minute extension. Honestly that's not a big deal when Druids are you only actual unit and you're running beast-heavy.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

!amicable posted:

Were there times turns? I have heard using druids well in a timed turn is pretty hard due to all the fiddly measurements. Timed turns seem frightening.

I have a hard time with them and my infantry heavy Khador lists, but I'm just not that good at using infantry quickly.

I really need to convince my meta to play more timed turns for tourney practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

12 minute turns now seems like a lifetime, after playing a 5 round hardcore. I guess this is how good players "train" for regular timing, by playing accelerated. I remember I was bitching up a storm about playing 7 minute turns at 35 pts a few months ago.

So yeah, play hardcore timing in casual games if you want to get better at time management.

• Locked thread