Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

mind the walrus posted:

FYAD is kind-of like a magic eye. I'm sure there's something going on that I just can't see, but I'll be hosed if I can make heads or tails of it no matter how many lessons I get on it.
So you're like Melisandre and her vision flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Well poo poo. It's been a while since I've been in this thread and.... wow, nothing has changed.
Anyway, have some Gurm fanart:

So if FYAD is Dany does that make LF Jon Snow since he gets stabbed for saying he wants to assassinate the president of the United States?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
TVIV is Ee double Dee.

A pathetic sadsack that is unintentionally hilarious.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Tony Danza Claus posted:

TVIV is Ee double Dee.

A pathetic sadsack that is unintentionally hilarious.

TVIV has a huge mancrush on Jon Snow too?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Elindale posted:

TVIV has a huge mancrush on Jon Snow too?
Mostly on Renly.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Dead Man Posting posted:

Maybe if we all did a lot of narcotics, alcohol consumption, and induce temporary insanity we can understand FYAD GRRM's reasoning for having Dany as a POV character after the first book.

Huh. It just struck me how Dany might still be interesting if she stopped having her own chapters and became this bizarre, incompetant, heart-of-gold ice queen seen through everyone else's eyes.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Huh. It just struck me how Dany might still be interesting if she stopped having her own chapters and became this bizarre, incompetant, heart-of-gold ice queen seen through everyone else's eyes.
So basically like what happened with Cat post-ASOS? It certainly didn't make her more interesting in any way.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I said "might".

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Gems of TVIV continue: someone got called a summer child for stating that off-screen deaths should be taken with a grain of salt.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

crazypeltast52 posted:

Gems of TVIV continue: someone got called a summer child for stating that off-screen deaths should be taken with a grain of salt.
This made me smile. If only they knew...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

It's not a hard and fast rule either way. Sometimes the opposite is true and an off-screen death really means dead, e.g. (Sopranos spoiler) Adriana on The Sopranos. It'd be best just not to generalize.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But if I don't have a preternatural ability to predict the results of pop media then what skills do I really have!? :cry:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Joramun posted:

It's not a hard and fast rule either way. Sometimes the opposite is true and an off-screen death really means dead, e.g. (Sopranos spoiler) Adriana on The Sopranos. It'd be best just not to generalize.

I maintain that she is living in a nice house in the woods, I suppose GRRM still kills main characters to these people too, they haven't experienced the fake-outs we've had in Feast and Dance to make us bitter.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

crazypeltast52 posted:

I maintain that she is living in a nice house in the woods, I suppose GRRM still kills main characters to these people too, they haven't experienced the fake-outs we've had in Feast and Dance to make us bitter.

The fakeouts began in Clash, holmes. And they didn't skip Storm either.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
Bran, Rickon, Arya and Catelyn are the ones I can think of without trying.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Rape Jake. posted:

Bran, Rickon, Arya and Catelyn are the ones I can think of without trying.
Beric, Beric, Beric, Beric, etc.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Rape Jake. posted:

The fakeouts began in Clash, holmes. And they didn't skip Storm either.

I guess, maybe the Bran and Rickon fake-out just felt less terrible than the Arya "death" to me because it served an actual point in the story

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

crazypeltast52 posted:

I guess, maybe the Bran and Rickon fake-out just felt less terrible than the Arya "death" to me because it served an actual point in the story
This is also why I give the Davos one in AFFC a pass, it was rather neat how that one was resolved in ADWD. Does anybody know if there is an official term in literary theory (or TV Tropes for all I care) for this sort of retcon that's planned in advance and so is not really a retcon, like the Bran/Rickon/Davos "deaths"?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

IRQ posted:

Jerseysucks.txt

It is known.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Joramun posted:

This is also why I give the Davos one in AFFC a pass, it was rather neat how that one was resolved in ADWD. Does anybody know if there is an official term in literary theory (or TV Tropes for all I care) for this sort of retcon that's planned in advance and so is not really a retcon, like the Bran/Rickon/Davos "deaths"?

"plot twist" ?

The fake out deaths that bug me the most are the loving zombies, though. At this point it's pretty much cannon that it doesn't matter who dies or how on screen or how million loving percent dead they are, it's still a good bet that they'll wonder up in a book or two and lynch you.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Joramun posted:

Why don't you go ahead and make one:

https://www.tvtropes.org

:thumbsup: Have fun!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Basically whenever some tremendously poo poo person says/does something stupid you can always count on FYAD mocking the dude until he ragequits.

And there's the GBS parody threads which are the funniest things on the internet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I'm only on page one but boy, that sure is a thing. Yes indeed.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 1, 2012

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Joramun posted:

Beric, Beric, Beric, Beric, etc.

Rhulad Sengar

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Rhulad Sengar
Darla on Buffy/Angel comes to mind as well.

Died as human, then resurrected as vampire, then died as vampire, then resurrected as human, then died as human, then resurrected as vampire, then died as vampire.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How can people hate the Bad Thread Joramun?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Some people will just hate anything. Even something as lovely and pure and innocent as the Bad Thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Joramun posted:

Some people will just hate anything. Even something as lovely and pure and innocent as the Bad Thread.

I forgot, it was TVIV where they hated on us, of course they want to call us vapid cunts.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Bland is generous.

You, on the other hand, actually liked the horrible most recent two books, so that explains your reaction. The show is pretty mediocre, sorry.

You would be wrong in both those sentences, but that's okay. Can't win 'em all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joramun posted:

...fakeout?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

You would be wrong in both those sentences, but that's okay. Can't win 'em all.

There... there were three sentances.

Wait. You're an agent of the Obsidian Order, aren't you? You'll never break me, you cardy piece of poo poo! THERE ARE THREE SENTANCES!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
He's already broken you, for there are no sentances at all, only sentences :smuggo:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

...fakeout?
A bit more specifically I think they would count as Death Faked for You?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know, I'm sure this is a tired joke but honestly that's all she ever does. Aside from barking occasional orders about where and how she'll being doing her particular brand of nothing, she has literally never done anything other than nothing relative to every character. For gently caress's sake Rickon an Tommen have done more under their own power.

Well, she hasn't looked backward. As a result, she has not been lost.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Aside from the sexposition flaws, the acting is a cut above most TV shows on right now and the scope is impressive for the budget. It doesn't compare to Spartacus or Mad Men in quality, but it's close.

You have a little something something dribbling down your chin. Smells a little like pizza and unwashed belly flab.

The show sucked rear end.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 1, 2012

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Spartacus sucks y'all.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

At least nobody's making comparisons to Breaking Bad.

v Especially once Loras is presumed dying, too. :allears:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Joramun posted:

Mostly on Renly.

I cannot wait for the drama of "why they are killing off the gays?" Should be as enjoyable as the Drothaki = savages = minority = brown people from season 1.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ross posted:

Spartacus sucks y'all.

Not even close.

Nobody's making comparisons to Breaking Bad because it's pretty overrated.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

GoT would be much better if they just recast Jon Snow with Jack Bauer.

WHERE ARE THE WILDLINGS, NINA.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Kiefer Sutherland can't do the gormless look befitting Jon, though. Replacing the characters themselves would definitely make his chapters worth reading, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sansa is about as useless as Kim Bauer.