Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Electron Voltaire posted:

I want to make a vinaigrette that will keep several weeks in the fridge (I bring salads into work and keep the dressing there). I'm assuming that the oil/vinegar/mustard base will be fine, but what other things are okay to add? Help me not get botulism.

Botulism spores are not active below 38, so they should not be active in your fridge. The acidic nature of the dressing will also help prevent toxin production. As will salt.

Really, I wouldn't worry about garlic in refrigerated salad dressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I usually do a vinaigrette with equal parts olive oil, balsamic, and honey. It keeps essentially indefinitely, though if you keep it in the refrigerator you'll need to warm it up to pour it. It also separates, but give it a good shake and you're set.

If you need something more interesting, add some fresh herbs. It's really tasty.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

If you need something more interesting, add some fresh herbs. It's really tasty.

If he worries about spoilage, he can always make that base you mentioned but keep the herbs the garlic or whatever out until he assembles the salad.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

very useful things

Thanks, I'll definitely go along those lines, and cheaper is always good. Dipfest party is Saturday night, will report back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

ultrachrist posted:

Dipfest party is Saturday night, will report back.

Cleaning that bathroom. :shepicide:

On the other hand, now I want to make a lot of dips too. With bleu cheese in all of them.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Drink and Fight posted:

That's a lie, it smells delicious. Like every awesome Indian restaurant ever.
The smell doesn't bug me, tbh, though I wouldn't necessarily call it delicious. (Being Indian probably helps.) But just a fair warning to those who might be unfamiliar with it. Two tidbits from the Wikipedia article on Asafoetida:

1. It's called "Devil's poo poo" in several European languages;
2. Likewise, Europeans for years thought it must be a medicine because they found it so repulsive.

So, depending on your background, you may wish to double-bag your asafoetida. I like the smell of kim chi better, myself.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Macaroni posted:

So, depending on your background, you may wish to double-bag your asafoetida. I like the smell of kim chi better, myself.

The name of the plant tries to warn you twice: "rear end" and "fetid" right in the same drat name. Come on people, this is no joke, the stuff smells loving awful.

BUT, that's the raw, uncooked stuff. Everyone here has pointed out that it mellows out and adds a really nice flavor and aroma once cooked and I'll have to agree with them. Thing is, I'm not culturally attuned to smelling that stuff at all so I keep it the hell out of my home. Fetid rear end. Bleargh. :barf:

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Just make sure you've got a jar or something with a really great seal on it, and if you want to be extra careful put it somewhere different than the rest of your spices.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'll keep it by the durians, then. :unsmigghh:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm a loving idiot and can't find the good no-lard inauthentic but good carnitas recipe that I've seen posted around here. Anyone have it? I want to make some proper tacos.

Also I'm in Korea so the cuts are different, what kind of pork am I looking for here? Tenderloin and belly are the only cuts I recognize when I go to my pork man. So I need to know what it looks like/characteristics, not the name.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 30, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

dino. posted:

dino. -- I killed our curry plant this winter (well, the cold did). It was a beautiful little guy, somewhere between 12-18 inches tall. A sad day.

edit: Also I think the literal translation of asafoetida is the devil's rear end in a top hat.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm a loving idiot and can't find the good no-lard inauthentic but good carnitas recipe that I've seen posted around here. Anyone have it? I want to make some proper tacos.

Also I'm in Korea so the cuts are different, what kind of pork am I looking for here? Tenderloin and belly are the only cuts I recognize when I go to my pork man. So I need to know what it looks like/characteristics, not the name.

Shoulder. A big hunk of heavily marbled meat. Lots of fat and connective tissue.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
What is it called when you just improvise while cooking and make adjustments as needed? "Improvisational cooking" on Google yields plenty of results but I remember reading about it as a culinary style in some context that I can't recall.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 30, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's called cooking.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Anyone have any go to Passover recipes? Maybe a brisket? Matzoh ball soup?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

dis astranagant posted:

Shoulder. A big hunk of heavily marbled meat. Lots of fat and connective tissue.

Coolio, easy enough to communicate that. Thanks.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Brady posted:

What is it called when you just improvise while cooking and make adjustments as needed? "Improvisational cooking" on Google yields plenty of results but I remember reading about it as a culinary style in some context that I can't recall.

Yeah -- I don't know if there's really a term for it, but at some point you get comfortable with yourself enough to go "off-recipe" I guess.

Like.. I like playing trombone, and I like playing jazz, but drat I cannot solo for poo poo. I like/need to follow the notes, and while I get the idea of keys and such for solos, I'm not versed enough to do it on the fly. I guess the same is true of cooking? Thats how I feel.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Midniter posted:

Because people expect buffalo chicken dip to taste like...well...buffalo chicken dip, if you're looking to increase the heat level you should use a pepper that is high on heat and low on flavor. What does your recipe look like? It might make more sense to cook the peppers in some sort of fat and then use the fat in the recipe rather than the peppers themselves, although I can't think of adding some sort of additional fat to a dish already mostly composed of it.

Chilis de arbol are the right choice for adding heat w/o a whole lot of flavor.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Can you swap out purple sweet potatoes for regular sweet potatoes in recipes? There is a killer sweet potato pie that I'm trying to replicate, that uses purple sweet potatoes (It's from Bob Chinn's if anyone is familiar). Since I don't have the actual recipe, could I adapt a regular SP Pie recipe and expect the purple variety to behave the same way?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Probably.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CzarChasm posted:

Can you swap out purple sweet potatoes for regular sweet potatoes in recipes? There is a killer sweet potato pie that I'm trying to replicate, that uses purple sweet potatoes (It's from Bob Chinn's if anyone is familiar). Since I don't have the actual recipe, could I adapt a regular SP Pie recipe and expect the purple variety to behave the same way?

The purple ones are starchier.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Turkeybone posted:

dino. -- I killed our curry plant this winter (well, the cold did). It was a beautiful little guy, somewhere between 12-18 inches tall. A sad day.

edit: Also I think the literal translation of asafoetida is the devil's rear end in a top hat.
Asa = resin in Persian, Foetida = fetid in Latin. So "that fetid Persian crap."

In other cooking news: somebody suggest me a marinade for chicken thighs that isn't Italian, Asian, or Indian in nature. I need something funky and fresh.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Make a wet jerk rub and grill em.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
I am a crappy cook, and want to know if while making sauteed mushrooms (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sauteed-mushrooms-in-garlic/ from that recipe) if it is okay to use Sangria as the cup of red wine, since that is the only wine I have available, and don't want to go out and buy some right now. Or will that make the mushrooms sweet and disgusting, and I should just leave the wine out of it completely?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

ProfessionalNinja posted:

I am a crappy cook, and want to know if while making sauteed mushrooms (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sauteed-mushrooms-in-garlic/ from that recipe) if it is okay to use Sangria as the cup of red wine, since that is the only wine I have available, and don't want to go out and buy some right now. Or will that make the mushrooms sweet and disgusting, and I should just leave the wine out of it completely?

Do you have any broth or stock handy? I think sangria would be unpleasantly sweet, but you could sub in some vegetable broth (or chicken or beef, really).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Macaroni posted:

Asa = resin in Persian, Foetida = fetid in Latin. So "that fetid Persian crap."

In other cooking news: somebody suggest me a marinade for chicken thighs that isn't Italian, Asian, or Indian in nature. I need something funky and fresh.

Don't marinade.

Brown in a big pot with onions, then add tons (tons) of paprika, some thyme, pepper, anchovy paste or fish sauce, some marjoram, garlic, and thinly sliced potatoes. Add chicken stock to just cover, and cook until the potatoes and chicken are done, adding extra stock if needs be. Just before it's done, stir in a bit of wine vinegar to brighten the flavor. Often nice topped with a little sour cream in the bowl.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

Do you have any broth or stock handy? I think sangria would be unpleasantly sweet, but you could sub in some vegetable broth (or chicken or beef, really).

I don't think it be unpleasantly sweet, quartered baby portobellos sauteed in a Ruby Port is amazing. Wines don't get a whole lot sweeter. On the other hand I think that while it'll work, Sangria will be a pretty muddy flavor contribution.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja

RazorBunny posted:

Didn't have any stock so I improvised. 1/4 cup Soy Sauce, 1/4 cup Sangria and 1/3 cup Salt Water. It actually isn't half bad, and seeing how I have like 4 more cartons of mushrooms, is probably what I am going to be living off of for the next week. The Sangria itself isn't too sweet, it has a little bit of bitterness to it, so I could probably replace the Soy Sauce with it, or the salty water.

ProfessionalNinja fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 30, 2012

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I guess maybe the sangria I've had was much sweeter than what you're talking about. As long as it tasted good, I guess :)

CrystalRose
Sep 16, 2006

I like sparkly things
Quick question

I want to bake some rolls to go with dinner tonight but I just realized I have no eggs. Can I substitute some vegetable oil for the egg? I don't bake much so I'm not sure if this will work.

This is the recipe I follow (yeast free)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 egg
3/4-1 1/4 cup water

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Brady posted:

I would say 'ad hoc' but I don't know if that's an official style of cooking.

Safety Engineer
Jun 13, 2008

http://mikefuller.hubpages.com/hub/The-best-buffalo-chicken-dip-recipe posted:

Boil your chicken breasts on the stove in a medium to large sauce pan, on medium heat about 30 to 45 minutes or until cooked all the way through and pre heat your oven to 350 F
While the chicken is boiling cut the cold cream cheese into cubes and place them into an 11.5" x 8" x 2" Pyrex style baking dish lightly misted with buttered flavor Pam.
I know the buffalo wings question is a page back but after reading that recipe I can't help but ask: What in the loving hell...is that supposed to be some sort of deliberately ironic hipster recipe? Is "ironically" imitating something like Simply Sara funny now?

Very Strange Things suggestions are great, the only thing I would humbly like to add is using some El Yucateco habenero sauce as your optional heat booster in addition to the Franks. It's readily available in the hispanic section of most grocery stores, hell I've even seen it at walmart. My experience is that it melds wonderfully with Franks when you want to make a good buffalo sauce/dip, just make sure you add it in small portions until it tastes "right" to you.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The purple ones are starchier.

They also taste just a little bit weird. Last time I used purple fingerling potatoes (in a yellowish Persian stew) they tasted fine and provided good color contrast, but I'd wished I'd used yellow.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone know how to get homemade ice cream/milk as soft and easy to scoop as the storebought stuff?

Electron Voltaire
Oct 27, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone know how to get homemade ice cream/milk as soft and easy to scoop as the storebought stuff?

This page has a lot of information:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2007/07/tips-for-making-1/

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
So today I became the proud owner of a dead prairie-chicken. I've eaten these guys before, they're tough as hell. It's not like a pheasant or whatever that you can pretty much just slap on the grill. Most people I've talked to said you ought to have a pressure cooker for prairie chicken, but I don't have one.

What should I do? Just cook it for a really long time till it falls apart then make it into a pot pie or something? It's just breast and thigh.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Coq au vin.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Coq au vin.
Seconding this. The tricky part of making really good coq au vin these days is usually finding a tough, gamey bird.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SubG posted:

Seconding this. The tricky part of making really good coq au vin these days is usually finding a tough, gamey bird.

I'm intrigued, partly because I've never tried coq au vin. What do the toughness and gameyness add to the dish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm intrigued, partly because I've never tried coq au vin. What do the toughness and gameyness add to the dish?

The whole point of it is to make a tough old cock worth eating. Chickens don't tend to survive a slow braise like that with much texture intact unless they're pretty old.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 1, 2012