Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Schwarzwald posted:

Is it possible to change your position in a saved game without loading the world?
I have just discovered that when I stand on a thaumcraft 1 crucible as it's powering a portal that it automatically saves my game and then crashed. Since I always load on top of the same crucible, it's rendered the world entirely unplayable.

I used NTBEdit for this, it's as easy as finding an entry x,y,z under Player->Pos and changing them to whatever you want. In worst case you'll spawn in a block and suffocate (hopefully you're not playing hardcore, haha).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Man I need a new hardcore fix, start recording those goongames guys!
Bonus points for adapting personalities and/or Jeff Goldblum.

The next time there's one available (that I can join, given my schedule) I plan on streaming the game. I'm not going to adopt any personalities or impersonations (I'm horrible at it), but I can still chat/talk to people otherwise directly in nearly real-time.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Rack posted:

The next time there's one available (that I can join, given my schedule) I plan on streaming the game. I'm not going to adopt any personalities or impersonations (I'm horrible at it), but I can still chat/talk to people otherwise directly in nearly real-time.
Perfect! Give a heads-up when you guys get it going, any of you hang in #technic or any other minecraft irc?

e: Sorry I wasn't clear, yeah I don't want to play. I meant I'd be down to watch that. I have no skill or much interest to play Minecraft anymore, but watching paranoid players battle it out was hilarious.

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 31, 2012

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Perfect! Give a heads-up when you guys get it going, any of you hang in #technic or any other minecraft irc?

Oh no, I meant as a player, whenever someone else sets up a game.

My computer might be able to run a smallish server of 8 or so, but I don't know if my bandwidth would be able to hold up for it. I don't mind trying it out later, but I don't have high hopes for it. I have a Core2Quad 2.4ghz with 4gb ram, would that be enough?

I don't do the irc thing, and my normal server is currently down for upgrades, so I don't have any real contact with other players right now.

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Rack posted:

Oh no, I meant as a player, whenever someone else sets up a game.

My computer might be able to run a smallish server of 8 or so, but I don't know if my bandwidth would be able to hold up for it. I don't mind trying it out later, but I don't have high hopes for it. I have a Core2Quad 2.4ghz with 4gb ram, would that be enough?

I don't do the irc thing, and my normal server is currently down for upgrades, so I don't have any real contact with other players right now.

Playing minecraft while running a server and streaming sounds like a recipe for bad frame rate.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jervas Dudley posted:

MCEdit could do that, don't know if it works with heavily modded saves. Might ask in the modding thread.

lordfrikk posted:

I used NTBEdit for this, it's as easy as finding an entry x,y,z under Player->Pos and changing them to whatever you want. In worst case you'll spawn in a block and suffocate (hopefully you're not playing hardcore, haha).

Thank you both. I ended up using MCEdit, and it worked perfectly--for about five minutes before the game would just crash somewhere else.

Oh well, I'll just start a new world.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Norton posted:

Playing minecraft while running a server and streaming sounds like a recipe for bad frame rate.

I have multiple computers. I can run the server on my 'good' computer and play/stream on my 'adequate' computer, so I'm not worried about shared resources. This whole thing is more a brainstorm/interest check. I know there's at least one running periodically, but if there's enough people that want another uhc-server I figure I can at least try to help out.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Getting ready to watch Guude's videos finally. Fully expecting 3 hours of hiding in a 1x2 hole pressing down on Shift.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a question about tree farming. How come this tree won't grow even when I put a lot of torches down and feed it bonemeal? Is it because it's a pine tree? The room is 8 blocks tall by the way.
e: I'm playing hardcore also.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Goonimati is starting another hardcore round in one hour. Please post in the goonimati thread if you're interested.

fondue fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 1, 2012

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Temaukel posted:

I have a question about tree farming. How come this tree won't grow even when I put a lot of torches down and feed it bonemeal? Is it because it's a pine tree? The room is 8 blocks tall by the way.

As I understand it, when you use bonemeal on a tree it generates a tree shape, checks to see if it fits the space, and if it doesn't fit then nothing happens. If there's only enough room for a small tree shape, then you have to keep trying until it happens to pick a shape small enough. Those torches on the walls might be blocking attempts from fitting, too.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Temaukel posted:

That torch right next to the sapling might be blocking it's growth. Try removing it, or planting the sapling on a raised block.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

http://marseffect.net/

quote:

Hard science fiction.
Lots of engineering.
Fully working computer system.
Space battles against the AI or other players.
A game ending that makes sense.
Abandoned ships full of loot.
Waist high walls.
Seamlessly landing on planets.
Advanced economy system.
Mining, trading, and looting.

hurrrr

If minecraft was spun off into a game where instead of the nether/aether you could travel to different planets and there was a space component in addition to doing stuff on the surface of different kinds of planets it would be a pretty cool game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

posted:

A game ending that makes sense.

gently caress you Notch

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

nippon nifties posted:

gently caress you Notch

If ever there was a time for "People in glass houses..." then this is it.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
A debate over whether Mass Effect 3 or Minecraft has the worst ending would probably tear Games apart.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Probably an April fools joke.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Zoe posted:

Getting ready to watch Guude's videos finally. Fully expecting 3 hours of hiding in a 1x2 hole pressing down on Shift.

Well, be prepared to feel like you suck at survival I guess!

ascii genitals posted:

http://marseffect.net/

hurrrr

If minecraft was spun off into a game where instead of the nether/aether you could travel to different planets and there was a space component in addition to doing stuff on the surface of different kinds of planets it would be a pretty cool game.

I first read it as Marse Effect.

nippon nifties posted:

gently caress you Notch

It's like a dig at Mass Effect and the people that are still upset about The End :iamafag:
Seriously, are people still mad about this?

Tardcore posted:

Probably an April fools joke.

The name perhaps, but he has been talking about making a space game, and honestly in theory it sounds kind of neat.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to attempt streaming the UHC server, though I can't verify the quality. Feel free to bother me on chat there link removed. If its too crappy to watch worthwhile, tell me and I'll just disable it.

edit - Well that certainly didn't take long.

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 1, 2012

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Did he learn nothing from the Scrolls name fiasco?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rack posted:

I'm going to attempt streaming the UHC server, though I can't verify the quality. Feel free to bother me on chat here. If its too crappy to watch worthwhile, tell me and I'll just disable it.

Hahaha that was abrupt.

You knew someone was outside, and you made a pickaxe anyway (after laying out a sword earlier).

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Hahaha that was abrupt.

You knew someone was outside, and you made a pickaxe anyway (after laying out a sword earlier).

I don't have much in the way of excuses for that one, I confused myself. Sword or no I wouldn't have made it though; someone ended up finding me in no time flat and I couldn't even get a hit off on the wooden pick-axe. And it's not like I could've run anywhere.

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 1, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Would EA sue over an april fools joke?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Would EA sue over an april fools joke?

Probably not, but Bioware might get pissy.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Veotax posted:

I can't tell if you're serious or not.

lmao I completely forgot April Fools is about to hit. Jesus. I've been seeing him tweet about some game on twitter and just assumed it was Notch being Notch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

lmao I completely forgot April Fools is about to hit. Jesus. I've been seeing him tweet about some game on twitter and just assumed it was Notch being Notch.

He's making this game for reals, but the name and page are an April Fool's joke.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Well, now the good will and interesting discussion in this thread from the advent of UHC will be usurped by yet more Notch reaming. I guess what I'm saying is NICE APRIL FOOLS, YOU HACK.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I stopped playing this game around the start of the year. Have there been any major content additions since then? The wiki said something about golems and a jungle.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Danzou posted:

I guess what I'm saying is NICE APRIL FOOLS, YOU HACK.

At least no one's getting seizures this time.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

So I stopped playing this game around the start of the year. Have there been any major content additions since then? The wiki said something about golems and a jungle.

This will fill you in on everything. As far as major points of interest:

* Jungle biome added, new tree type
* Cats (Ocelots) added (tamable creeper repellent)
* Height limit doubled
* Golems added (protect villagers)
* Zombie sieges added (attack villages at night)
* Some new decorative blocks added
* Redstone lamps added (essentially redstone toggled glowstone)
* New chat features

Chew Toy
Nov 28, 2010

I'm unhappy, Jon.

Internet Kraken posted:

A jungle biome that's hard to traverse and offers pretty much nothing new (other than cats, but cats are more or less just vanity pets). Iron golems are pretty boss though. Also the mobs have AI now so they don't just bump into walls while trying to get to you. Other than that it's mostly just new blocks and colored planks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

He's making this game for reals, but the name and page are an April Fool's joke.

So he wants to make Evochron even though Evochron already exists?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Cats scare away Creepers, so there is that mechanical benefit.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So he wants to make Evochron even though Evochron already exists?

The world needs more space games these days, even from one such as notch.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Al! posted:

Remake Star Voyager from the NES.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Someone made this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5T5-SFguE

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Al! posted:

I just don't know what notch is going to offer that Evochron wont. Evochron is also indie as gently caress and the culmination of 25 years of work from a single developer. Notch's game will be just as indie and buggy and broken but will look worse and will probably have less detail and be less full featured. It's weird and a niche that feels like is already filled. Whereas Minecraft turned into something wholly new and I think there's definitely room for an online CCG style game done right, especially with the twists Scrolls has. Another standard space trading game seems pretty boring by comparison.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Did you guys really let yourselves be trolled by Notch?

quote:

After playing around with names like "Elight", "Wind Commander", and "Steve Online", we finally settled on the very catchy name "Mars Effect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Did you guys really let yourselves be trolled by Notch?

Did you not even read this page? The game is real even if the name isn't.