Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

dis astranagant posted:

The whole point of it is to make a tough old cock worth eating. Chickens don't tend to survive a slow braise like that with much texture intact unless they're pretty old.
And the combination of extra connective tissue to render down and the gameyness of a wild bird (or an old rooster) add a lot of flavour that your typical bred-to-be-breast-meat bird doesn't have. While coq au vin appears to be a traditional recipe developed to make use of an otherwise tough bird, the greater assertiveness of the poultry flavour is one of the draws in a modern culinary setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Recipe, please? I'm totally going to vin this coq.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Does a Good Eats episode work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzxnao-s0fg

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love Julia Child's recipe for coq au vin.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No offense to AB, but I would do Julia Child's Coq instead http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/saras-secrets/chicken-in-red-wine-with-onions-mushrooms-and-bacon-coq-au-vin-recipe/index.html

Or maybe Bourdains: http://kitchenmusings.com/2007/02/wineing_chicken.html

or Kellers: http://www.all-clad.co.uk/Pages/Elevate%20talent/Coq-Au-Vin.aspx

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Crap, I wish I hadn't eaten all of those morels. Maybe I'll find more tomorrow for that recipe.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I'd go with Child's as well. I like the looks of Keller's, but (like so many of Keller's recipes) it looks pretty loving fiddly. I like that in a lot of his stuff, but I sorta feel like something like coq au vin is something that has some fixed basics (gamey bird, lardons of pork, mushrooms, red wine) but past that a lot of wiggle-room for personalising the recipe and improvising around whatever happens to be available. I do like the leeks and pearl onions in there though. Throwing in a bunch of different kinds of mushrooms sounds like a great idea in principle but is something I'd probably never actually bother with unless I was trying to get laid out of the meal or something.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I might have to throw in a shitton of mushrooms since I only have like a pound of chicken. Maybe a pound and a half.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

razz posted:

I might have to throw in a shitton of mushrooms since I only have like a pound of chicken. Maybe a pound and a half.

YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT AND YOU'LL RUIN EVERYTHING!!!!

Wait, this is cooking. Never mind, you'll be fine. Enjoy your extra awesome mushroomy coq a vin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Most important thing is to just give it lots of time in the pot.

Safety Shaun
Oct 20, 2004
the INTERNET!!!1
I've had a quick look and there doesn't seem to be much KitchenAid love anymore.

Does anybody have any any links to tried and tested recipes, or badass KitchenAid eBooks or books that are essential for mixernerds? My first mixer gets delivered in a few days and I plan on making some good eats the second it arrives.

Thank you in advance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cook it like Keith Floyd and make sure you have 2 bottles of wine, so you finish drinking the first as the meal is finished being prepared

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Every few weeks, I like to buy a nice 4-5 pound bone-in pork shoulder, make a batch of pulled pork, and freeze it in portions for easy weeknight dinners. Yesterday, the only shoulder my butcher had left was about 7 pounds, so I just grabbed it.

Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my dutch oven. I managed to trim off a 2 pound chunk and get it in there, but now I don't know what to do with the remainder. It's about the size of a pork loin and seems to have a pretty solid fat content. Any good ideas?

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 1, 2012

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Happy Abobo posted:

Every few weeks, I like to buy a nice 4-5 pound bone-in pork shoulder, make a batch of pulled pork, and freeze it in portions for easy weeknight dinners. Yesterday, the only shoulder my butcher had left was about 7 pounds, so I just grabbed it.

Unfortunately, it didn't fit in my dutch oven. I managed to trim off a 2 pound chunk and get it in there, but now I don't know what to do with the remainder. It's about the size of a pork loin and seems to have a pretty solid fat content. Any good ideas?

Slice into thin portions, marinate in lime, cilantro and garlic overnight, grill on very high heat and make vietnamese sandwiches

If you're looking for more of a meal-type dish, chop into cubes, toss into a little bit of olive oil, add chopped onions, red&green peppers, garlic, when meat is done toss in lots of chopped tomatoes and cook the poo poo out of it. Add some wine, crushed red pepper flakes and black peper at the end

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Thanks, I'll definitely go along those lines, and cheaper is always good. Dipfest party is Saturday night, will report back.

I won!

(They changed buffalo dip category to just spicy dip)

(My fiance won best dessert with a cookie dough dip and and a caramel apple dip last year, we basically dominated here)

Mostly followed Very Strange Things' recipe. I didn't have time to go to a better grocery story for more exotic hot peppers so I just bought and minced up a habenero. It wasn't quite as spicy as I thought it was going to be but it was delicious and a big hit. Roast chicken is the way to go, we seasoned it with this salt/pepper/garlic/red pepper mix we had floating around.

Woohoo, thanks goons! Especially VST!

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Cowcatcher posted:

Slice into thin portions, marinate in lime, cilantro and garlic overnight, grill on very high heat and make vietnamese sandwiches

If you're looking for more of a meal-type dish, chop into cubes, toss into a little bit of olive oil, add chopped onions, red&green peppers, garlic, when meat is done toss in lots of chopped tomatoes and cook the poo poo out of it. Add some wine, crushed red pepper flakes and black peper at the end

Both sound awesome, but I'm a sucker for sandwiches. I know you're supposed to cook pork shoulder for a long time to get it tender, but does the thin slicing let you grill it fast and still have it palatable in the end?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I've had pork shoulder cut into half inch thick steaks turn out alright cooked fairly quickly to medium well or well done. Shows up like that in grocery stores around here all the time.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Hmm.... can you make corned pork? I was considering just doing the corned beef recipe from Charcuterie but swapping in the pork shoulder for brisket, since brisket is tough to find around here. The recipe calls for pink salt, though. Is that necessary for safety, or is it just for keeping the colour of the meat?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Oops -- there was a page in between. I'm talking about why you want to use an old bird for coq au vin.

Yeah.. flavor and unctuousness. You wouldn't make a pot roast with filet mignon, for example. Too plain.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 1, 2012

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Happy Abobo posted:

Hmm.... can you make corned pork? I was considering just doing the corned beef recipe from Charcuterie but swapping in the pork shoulder for brisket, since brisket is tough to find around here. The recipe calls for pink salt, though. Is that necessary for safety, or is it just for keeping the colour of the meat?

How long does it have to cure for? if it's like a week then you'd probably want to find some pink salt.. if it's just a few days you'll probably not kill anyone.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Happy Abobo posted:

Both sound awesome, but I'm a sucker for sandwiches. I know you're supposed to cook pork shoulder for a long time to get it tender, but does the thin slicing let you grill it fast and still have it palatable in the end?

I find that a very thin piece (1/2" to 1/3") works well, it does have... character, but it's very enjoyable texture combined with juicy barbacued goodness, especially in the vietnamese sandwich with crunchy cucumber and pickled carrot

You can also add some rice vinegar to the marinade, and leave it in the fridge for 24h, it'll help with the chewiness

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Turkeybone posted:

How long does it have to cure for? if it's like a week then you'd probably want to find some pink salt.. if it's just a few days you'll probably not kill anyone.

Yeah, it soaks in a brine for about a week. Nuts, I was hoping to start it tonight. Ah well, better safe than sorry.

Actually, given that the piece of meat I'm using is less than half the size of the one in the recipe, I could probably cut down the time and forget the pink salt. The whole thing ends up getting boiled for hours anyway.

Happy Abobo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 2, 2012

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

I won!

(They changed buffalo dip category to just spicy dip)

(My fiance won best dessert with a cookie dough dip and and a caramel apple dip last year, we basically dominated here)

Mostly followed Very Strange Things' recipe. I didn't have time to go to a better grocery story for more exotic hot peppers so I just bought and minced up a habenero. It wasn't quite as spicy as I thought it was going to be but it was delicious and a big hit. Roast chicken is the way to go, we seasoned it with this salt/pepper/garlic/red pepper mix we had floating around.

Woohoo, thanks goons! Especially VST!

Neat. Just curious what the other dips were like; were they all the ranch+frank's+boneless/skinless breasts?

Also, what the gently caress do you dip in a cookie dough dip? A cookie?

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

How do you make an even cornstarch crust when you fry chicken, asian style? All the stuff I've read says to marinate, dry the meat, and dip in cornstarch before frying. Every time I do it, the crust disappears when I start frying. I'm looking for that slight puff that you see on chicken, pork etc. Or that smooth coating you see on the spicy salted chicken.

Is my chicken not dry enough? Oil not hot enough? Missing a step somewhere?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

squigadoo posted:

How do you make an even cornstarch crust when you fry chicken, asian style? All the stuff I've read says to marinate, dry the meat, and dip in cornstarch before frying. Every time I do it, the crust disappears when I start frying. I'm looking for that slight puff that you see on chicken, pork etc. Or that smooth coating you see on the spicy salted chicken.

Dry doesn't really stick to dry all that well. You only mention cornstarch, and not a cornstarch batter, so if you have dry chicken pieces, dry cornstarch won't stick.

I'd have to see some recipes, but all I can think of is to either dredge the chicken in cornstarch without drying post marinade, or wipe off the excess marinade, dry the chicken and make a simple batter using just cornstarch and water. If you go with the second option, you will probably be looking for a consistency around pancake batter.

I suppose you could also do Marinated Chicken > Dry > Egg > Cornstarch, but that's not a very Asian style.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

squigadoo posted:

Are you trying to make something like Korean-style fried chicken? That involves a very loose cornstarch and flour batter, and is fried twice.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Dry doesn't really stick to dry all that well. You only mention cornstarch, and not a cornstarch batter, so if you have dry chicken pieces, dry cornstarch won't stick.

I'd have to see some recipes, but all I can think of is to either dredge the chicken in cornstarch without drying post marinade, or wipe off the excess marinade, dry the chicken and make a simple batter using just cornstarch and water. If you go with the second option, you will probably be looking for a consistency around pancake batter.

I suppose you could also do Marinated Chicken > Dry > Egg > Cornstarch, but that's not a very Asian style.

I didn't dry the chicken thoroughly, just let it drain in a sieve over the sink. When I rolled the chicken in the cornstarch, it stuck nicely so I had high hopes.

A while back, I tried to make sweet and sour pork where the recipe was about the same (marinate, pat, cornstarch), and the crust was also bad. Tasted good though.

pnumoman posted:

Are you trying to make something like Korean-style fried chicken? That involves a very loose cornstarch and flour batter, and is fried twice.

I'm trying to make karaage following a recipe at justbento.com. And now that I've made myself look like a weeaboo, I am using her cookbook for lunchboxes and hers looks puffed and nicely coated.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I've never made that particular cornstarchy thing before, but I've found that, if you have time, a rub/dredge will set nicely if you chill it in the fridge for an hour. It seems to combine with the residual moisture from the meat that you can never get completely dry, then melt and reform as more of a shell when it chills.

You can always cheat and double dip too. Dredge, fry for a little bit, then re-dredge and re-fry.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Very Strange Things posted:

Neat. Just curious what the other dips were like; were they all the ranch+frank's+boneless/skinless breasts?

Graham crackers maybe? Or fruit slices.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Eat it straight with a spoon :btroll:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 2, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Aged cheddar or gruyere.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

nevermind

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 2, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

You can always cheat and double dip too. Dredge, fry for a little bit, then re-dredge and re-fry.

That sounds like it would make for a very gummy coating or an extra thick one depending on how long in-between first and second frying, plus that gives greater chances to have something overcook I think.

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011

razz posted:

So today I became the proud owner of a dead prairie-chicken. I've eaten these guys before, they're tough as hell. It's not like a pheasant or whatever that you can pretty much just slap on the grill. Most people I've talked to said you ought to have a pressure cooker for prairie chicken, but I don't have one.

What should I do? Just cook it for a really long time till it falls apart then make it into a pot pie or something? It's just breast and thigh.

I know "coq au vin" is a very easy answer to give and there are many (delicious recipes) you can go for. I personally prefer a coq au biere using a recipe that comes from Larousse Gastronomique. It involves taking the chicken pieces and flambe then in some gin and adding a little juniper. Mushrooms (button mushrooms will be fine but some wild mushrooms will give it a more rustic edge) and bacon are then added (and i think a bouquet garni) and then beer until the meat is covered. Cook until the meat is tender. The beer is normally a dark brown beer (I have done this on the cheap with lager while camping and it turned out fine). Its up to you what you do for you matching carbs, rice or potatoes would go fine, or alternatively add barley into the dish and serve with some crusty bread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Dangphat posted:

I know "coq au vin" is a very easy answer to give and there are many (delicious recipes) you can go for. I personally prefer a coq au biere using a recipe that comes from Larousse Gastronomique. It involves taking the chicken pieces and flambe then in some gin and adding a little juniper. Mushrooms (button mushrooms will be fine but some wild mushrooms will give it a more rustic edge) and bacon are then added (and i think a bouquet garni) and then beer until the meat is covered. Cook until the meat is tender. The beer is normally a dark brown beer (I have done this on the cheap with lager while camping and it turned out fine). Its up to you what you do for you matching carbs, rice or potatoes would go fine, or alternatively add barley into the dish and serve with some crusty bread.

This is also good. Beer is good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Graham crackers, apple slices, and those pretzel rod things

As for other buffalo chicken dips, there wasn't a ton this year since the category got expanded to spicy and had things like a jalapeno dip (ok), a pepporoni pizza dip (pretty good), and a deceivingly named devilish dip that was actually just deviled eggs and not very good at all.

One of the buffalo dips was literally breasts, ranch, franks. I talked to the guy who made it and compared to what was in mine and he tried to give some pro simplicity it's-all-different spiel.

Another was actually vegan yet labeled as buffalo chicken dip from a vegan girl who thought we'd somehow not notice. The other 1 or 2 were totally unremarkable and I didn't ask how they were made.

edit: the dip that won "best overall" was called "Athen's Delight" and I forgot to try it (lot of dips!) and honestly am not sure what was even in it.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 2, 2012

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
I just obtained 15g of dried ghost pepper. What would be an excellent dish to use them in? Buffalo wing sauce? Chilli con carne? Something else?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm a big fan of deli meats, but a terrible cook. This means I eat most of my deli meats in the form a sandwhich consisting of the meat, a slice of packaged cheese, and a piece of lettuce all stuck between two pieces of wonderbread. Maybe a kaiser bun if I'm feeling ambitious.

What are some ways I can eat deli meats other than by way of elaborate sandwhiches?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm a big fan of deli meats, but a terrible cook. This means I eat most of my deli meats in the form a sandwhich consisting of the meat, a slice of packaged cheese, and a piece of lettuce all stuck between two pieces of wonderbread. Maybe a kaiser bun if I'm feeling ambitious.

What are some ways I can eat deli meats other than by way of elaborate sandwhiches?

In a salad.

On a plate with crackers and cheese.

From your hand.
I rarely have deli meats on hand (HA HA HA HA HA), but when I see sliced meat and cheese in the refrigerator I usually just grab a fistful of it and stuff it into my slobberhole.
The Germans call this Handsalat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Cyril Sneer posted:

Wraps, dude! But not the crappy kinds of wraps where someone just took a sandwich and replaced the bread with a tortilla. You know those wraps that look like pinwheels and you only seem to see them on catering trays? You can make those and eat them every single day, sometimes two, three, four times a day if you're really ambitious about the task.

The basic pinwheel recipe is turkey, cranberry sauce, cream cheese, and lettuce on a tortilla. However, if you're not flat broke, use a spread of dried cranberries, cream cheese, and feta. Spinach tortillas can be neat as well.

Everyone seems to have their own particular recipe, featuring green onion, spinach, tomato, cilantro, or whatever. But the magic that differentiates pinwheels from mere sandwiches happens somewhere in the mystical connection between cream cheese, cranberry, and deli meat. This is the Holy Trinity of the pinwheel. Various wrap-based religions have their own Holy recipes, but the core belief system is the same.

You can break the cranberry rule, I suppose, if you want to make baby Jesus cry, but that's generally only acceptable on Fridays during Lent, when you are supposed to eat Tuna Wraps.

By the way, if sacrilege is your thing and you want to go straight to pinwheel hell, Paula Deen has a wrap that involves deep fried pickles and a ham that's been baptized in cream cheese and the joyful tears of young diabetic virgins. You use bacon instead of a tortilla, obviously, and serve the wrap well-greased and stylistically embedded between two donuts, like it's the axle in a wheel of shame.