Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

What (completed/finished) anime/manga is like Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex or Kare Kano?

It seems most shoujo series have unlikable characters, stupid premises or are not finished. :smith:

You might look at watching or reading Paradise Kiss it's by the same author as Nana, but is way shorter, complete and while still being a drama is less full of the huge drama that is prevalent in it. I haven't read the manga, but I completely love the anime.

It also has one of the best drat ending sequences ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc
That said, while it is still a great show, it isn't nearly as full of cute, sweet and funny moments like the three that you mentioned.

If you don't mind the two leads both being girls, Sasameki Koto has a lot of the same charm that those series do; mixing comedy, drama and all of young love's foibles. The anime is too short and the manga is kind of too long (although it does eventually wrap up nicely), so it's not really perfect in that regard.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

a kitten posted:

You might look at watching or reading Paradise Kiss it's by the same author as Nana, but is way shorter, complete and while still being a drama is less full of the huge drama that is prevalent in it. I haven't read the manga, but I completely love the anime.

It also has one of the best drat endings ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgMAKuJIkmc
That said, while it is still a great show, it isn't nearly as full of cute, sweet and funny moments like the three that you mentioned.

If you don't mind the two leads both being girls, Sasameki Koto has a lot of the same charm that those series do; mixing comedy, drama and all of young love's foibles. The anime is too short and the manga is kind of too long (although it does eventually wrap up nicely), so it's not really perfect in that regard.

Wait, Sasameki Koto isn't fully translated is it? I've only been able to find up to chapter 40.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Blhue posted:

Wait, Sasameki Koto isn't fully translated is it? I've only been able to find up to chapter 40.
Argh, I forgot a couple things about that: there's few different groups that have it done more or less up 'til completion, some of theme are terrible quality and some aren't online any more. This site has most of them in download only format (it skips a few for some reason) and includes the very ending. (53)

I completely spaced on that fact when I wrote that recommendation. :( At least Payapaya and or maki maki are working on getting it caught up since Dynasty stopped translating things, but I have no idea when it's going to get there.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 17, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I wish there was more manga like Aoi Hana. I wish there was more anything like Aoi Hana. Besides Brontė sisters and Jane Austin novels.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

a kitten posted:

Argh, I forgot a couple things about that: there's few different groups that have it done more or less up 'til completion, some of theme are terrible quality and some aren't online any more. This site has most of them in download only format (it skips a few for some reason) and includes the very ending. (53)

I completely spaced on that fact when I wrote that recommendation. :( At least Payapaya is working on getting it caught up since Dynasty stopped translating things, but I have no idea when it's going to get there.

Hmm, missing 49 up to 53? God, I'm not sure if I wanna skip the lead up to the ending or not, but Payapaya hasn't posted a new chapter in over 2 months, so the likelihood of them ever getting there is slim...

Blhue fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 17, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I wish there was more manga like Aoi Hana. I wish there was more anything like Aoi Hana. Besides Brontė sisters and Jane Austin novels.
Yeah no kidding, I really hope that it can get a US release of some kind. I'd love to see Fantagraphics publish that with the same crazy fantastic love they put into her other manga Wandering Son, but I'd be super pleased even if JManga did an online only version.

gmq, the only reason I didn't recommend Aoi Hana to you already is because it's still ongoing, but it is really good and worth reading, it's not as hilarious as LoveCom or KareKano are, but she has a real gift for characterization and character growth in both great and subtle ways, and it's one of my overall favorite manga/stories in general.

Blhue posted:

Payapaya hasn't posted a new chapter in over 2 months, so the likelihood of them ever getting there is slim...
Yep, and it looks like they actually handed it off to maki maki scans, who have yet to release any chapters at all, for all I know they're just waiting for the tankobon to be published before doing it, but I have no real idea. I actually held my nose and poked around 4chan for the first time to find those scans, haven't had any luck finding 49-52 though, and a lot of significant stuff seems to happen there. There was a really bad version that some random person was doing and putting on Somemanga, but a) it was basically unreadable, and b) somemanga appears to be toast anyway. v:smith:v

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 17, 2012

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
New Kimi ni Todoke

It's the S2Scans version, people that prefer MangoScans' version are going to have to wait a bit longer.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mura posted:

New Kimi ni Todoke

It's the S2Scans version, people that prefer MangoScans' version are going to have to wait a bit longer.
Yes!
I read them both, because I'm an impatient man. :blush:

e: She draws people with the tiniest heads sometimes.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 17, 2012

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mura posted:

New Kimi ni Todoke

Hot mom is going to kill Dad once this is over.

More seriously, I really like how Sawako is starting to realize that Kazehaya is not perfect.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
KnT 66: I get the feeling this building towards Sawako doing something crazy to get him to open up, as it looks like the onus is on her to get poo poo done this time. Which might be a nice switch from how she needed others' help to open up and get friends at the start of the manga, and would be a nice addition to her character arc.

We definitely don't need to see a crying Sawako anymore than we already have at least :(

coathat
May 21, 2007

New Oresama Teacher owns. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/oresama_teacher/v12/c076/

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I ended up falling behind 3-4 chapters on Hourou Musuko because it was dealing with some new minor character I didn't care about. Well having caught up again, it's getting really good! Good enough that I was dying for some more Takako Shimura stuff, so I finally caved in and read all of Aoi Hana, a story I had previously written off as being boring thanks to a dull first anime episode. Yeah, turns out it's pretty great too.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 25, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Grab the US release for Hourou Musuko if you haven't, the quality is out of this world and Shimura deserves all your moneys. I wasn't enjoying the latest chapters quite as much since having all of the cast be separated by being in different high schools seemed to cause it to lose focus a bit, but as it's gone on I don't think that it's lost any of its heart or emotional weight at all, and because people moving and or growing apart is a part of growing up makes it one of the best portrayals of adolescence I've read in general, in addition of course to everything else that she does so well and with such sensitivity.

In other news there are pictures of chapter 44 of Aoi Hana floating around but, it hasn't been scanned or translated yet and I'm losing my mind about it because I'm worried about those two rushing into something they might not be ready for. :ohdear:

Does anyone know what year of high school the Aoi Hana cast is in now? I want to say it's the second, but I'm honestly not sure.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 24, 2012

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

Does anyone know what year of high school the Aoi Hana cast is in now? I want to say it's the second, but I'm honestly not sure.

Fumi, Akira, et. al. are third years as of a few chapters back. Haruka's a year behind them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Aha! Thanks, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure and didn't even really know where to look to learn otherwise.

In other news:

Mangoscans posted:

KNT ISSUES

It doesn’t look like we’ll be releasing KnT 66 anytime soon, and I apologize for that. I’ve been PMing the translator for this and it’s been 2 weeks since her last activity in the forum. I don’t know what to do just to release this chapter >_< Kind of frustrated already. So if anyone is willing to help us this one time to release this chapter, that would be great.

For those who would love to read the chapter soon, I suggest for you to go ahead and read the available scans for this chapter already. I don’t want to hold back everyone from reading it if it’s already available somewhere else.

So again, if anyone is willing to help us to translate Kimi ni Todoke chapter 66, we’re looking for a C-E translator who can translate this in a day so we could release this asap.

Sorry for this late chapter! m(_ _)m

That kind of sucks, although my2scans' quality has improved over the last couple chapters, which is nice.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

It's an otherwise mediocre manga, but the latest chapter of Kimi No Iru Machi was pretty funny.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
And in good manga, a startling revelation in the newest chapter of Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

LightWarden posted:

Glass Mask is really old. Started in 1976, it's a pretty influential series that many shoujo series owe something to. It's the story of a girl with a talent for acting who's discovered by a reclusive master of theater, and her ensuing ups and downs (and awesome rivalries) as she develops. Despite its age, it's still pretty drat good, and you can enjoy it for its weird sparkly charm.

Way back from page 1, I've heard of this many times but I just now began reading it on Sunday and holy god drat I'm already caught up. It's like everything I wish Skip Beat was, but man they love their melodrama. I'll chalk that up to being from the 70s though.

A great series. Also includes my favorite RIVAL character since Niizuma Eiji from Bakuman.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 28, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How is Skip Beat these days? I put it down "temporarily" because it had been focusing on Ren for a really long time. He might be the most boring shoujo love interest I have ever seen, so it was just unbearable.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

It's still focusing on Ren. It's still the most boring part of the story.

I'm still reading it cause it takes like, 10 minutes a month, but man I really wish the plot would move back on to Kyoko.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)
I just finished Please Save My Earth. While it was, for the most part, a truly amazing series, the ending was really awkward and uncomfortable for me.

A 21-year-old engaged to and kissing a 12-year-old is really terrible, no matter how "mature" or tall for his age he is. Auuuuuuuugh.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I'm looking for some good shoujo series to read, and I heard Kimi ni Todoke was really good. Would one recommend watching the anime series, or should I just go read the manga?

On another note, Today, Curry! is an extremely adorable manga. It's about a father-daughter pair working in a curry shop on a carefree island. :3: The art is nice, but sadly there are only two chapters translated so far.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nondevor posted:

I'm looking for some good shoujo series to read, and I heard Kimi ni Todoke was really good. Would one recommend watching the anime series, or should I just go read the manga?

The anime adaptation is really good and the art is gorgeous so I'd watch the anime (maybe only the first season as I noticed that there was a drop in the animation quality in the second) and then read the manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Both the anime and manga for KnT are really good, so honestly just pick whichever format you feel like diving into. Personally I think I like the animated version a bit more because it's one of those shows that is really well crafted with nice visuals, music and acting all working together really well. The manga is pretty great too though, so like I said it might just come down to what you feel like doing.

The anime for Lovely Complex is also really good, it has an ending too, as opposed to KnT which is still ongoing, although the second season has a decent stopping point. I liked the anime for LoveCom a whole lot more than the manga which kind of starts to wander before it wraps up.

In Aoi Hana news, the newest chapter's ending is killing me and not knowing what exactly Akira is thinking and feeling is going to drive me crazy while I wait for the next installment. Shimura, if you didn't write these characters so well I wouldn't get all caught up in them like this. :arghfist::mad:

coathat
May 21, 2007

You should read Oresama Teacher which just had hilarious new chapter come out today. http://www.mangahere.com/manga/oresama_teacher/v12/c077/

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Seconding the Oresama Teacher recommendation. Mafuyu is a great protagonist, in the vein of Kyoko from Skip Beat before that manga became a massive slog. Plus, delinquents.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Something to look forward to this summer, Natsuyuki Rendezvous one of the summer noitamina shows.

A young man with poor eyesight named Hazuki works part-time in a flower shop and falls hard for the shop-owner Rokka. But what happens when he discovers that residing in her apartment is the spirit of the man she can never forget?

Only 5 chapters translated so far but it's pretty cool.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

coathat posted:

Something to look forward to this summer, Natsuyuki Rendezvous one of the summer noitamina shows.

A young man with poor eyesight named Hazuki works part-time in a flower shop and falls hard for the shop-owner Rokka. But what happens when he discovers that residing in her apartment is the spirit of the man she can never forget?

Only 5 chapters translated so far but it's pretty cool.

Oh, I like that one so far. Stiletto Heels is scanlating that, I mentioned them a couple months ago as a group that generally translates decent josei stuff. They're also doing Sakamichi no Apollon, which has great buzz in the Spring season thead (I'm super pumped for it), and they just released chapters 4 and 5. While I'm at it I'll also recommend 3AM Dangerous Zone.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
For the people waiting on Mangoscans to do their translation of the latest KnT, it is finally up.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Sort of beaten, but for something like Kimi ni Todoke I would recommend Skip Beat. There's not nearly as much romance going on , but the main character has that "stepped out of a horror movie" thing going on while still being quite likable. To top it all off, it's hilariously funny.

The first half or maybe third has a faithful animated version, unfortunately it stopped at a place in the story that will really leave you wanting some more/closure. The manga is great though, if slow to release. It gets a bit sloggy later on, but I'm trying to keep the faith.

Oh yeah and there's barely any school in it, which is a huge plus for me these days.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo, I had completely given up on getting an honest version of this!

Discotek Media to Release "Love✭Com" TV Anime
link

Crunchyroll posted:

Discotek Media announced a release of the Love✭Com, AKA Lovely Complex, TV anime. According to its Facebook post, plans include releasing the 24-episode series in one complete box set in the original Japanese with English subtitles.

Directed by Konosuke Uda (Sailor Moon Super S, One Piece) and based on the Shogakukan Award-winning manga by Aya Nakahara, Love✭Com originally aired in 2007.

Click here to see my coincidentally prophetic LoveCom mega post in the PYF anime gif thread.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 3, 2012

coathat
May 21, 2007

New House of the Sun. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/95029/taiyou-no-ie_v2_ch8_by_maigo

I was hoping that the little brother would be coming back, but a tiny shiba is fine too.

It's weird I was thinking about this manga today and then bam a new chapter.

coathat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 5, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Newest chapter of Skip Beat actually didn't focus entirely on Ren, and actually had Kyoko go back to school.

Thus, it was actually a lot of fun!

Kill Ren already :(

coathat
May 21, 2007

New chapter of Bonnouji. It's the best non-shoujo/josei romance manga out right now. Super sweet and easygoing, you should check it out if you're not reading it already.

Mura
Feb 3, 2008
S2Scans have released the new KnT chapter

The series continues on with its theme of people unable to express their feelings

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mura posted:

S2Scans have released the new KnT chapter

The series continues on with its theme of people unable to express their feelings

No, no. They can express their feelings just fine, just not to the person they actually need to! I am hoping that maybe we can get some more cute, affectionate events happening reasonably soon though, I didn't start reading this because it was all :emo: I read/watched it because Sawako becoming friends with (and eventually more) with Kazehaya and the others, and the interactions between the cast was fun, lively and frequently adorable while still being mixed with the agonizing over feelings and who "likes" who. Lately it's been so focused on the angst that it's starting to slip a bit as one of my most looked forward to manga releases. :smith:

It has a looong way to fall before I would even consider dropping it as a series I follow though. Just...getting to read about some nice things would be pleasant change.

MayLanh
Apr 16, 2012

by angerbot
Kimi Ni Todoke Chapter 067

It's all very fine to wish that guy on some character in a manga, but honestly--if you had a friend in real life who might possibly end up with Pin, what would you tell them? If you're at all responsible you'd tell them to run the other way fast

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
Is anybody else still keeping up with Good Ending? Because it is clear that the author is planning on dragging this poo poo out for as long as possible and I don't recommend anybody get back into it.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Tiara posted:

Is anybody else still keeping up with Good Ending? Because it is clear that the author is planning on dragging this poo poo out for as long as possible and I don't recommend anybody get back into it.

Yeah. I'm starting to get worn out on it too, due to the recent events (significant spoilers I guess)namely, Seiji losing his virginity to that white haired girl I can't even remember the name of who he's dating. The way the series has been going that's a guaranteed future plot point, as a pregnancy scare or dirty laundry when the two of them break up/go through a rocky part of their relationship, I'm expecting and when it does I'll probably drop the series for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Tiara posted:

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Yeah. I'm starting to get worn out on it too, due to the recent events (significant spoilers I guess)namely, Seiji losing his virginity to that white haired girl I can't even remember the name of who he's dating. The way the series has been going that's a guaranteed future plot point, as a pregnancy scare or dirty laundry when the two of them break up/go through a rocky part of their relationship, I'm expecting and when it does I'll probably drop the series for good.

Holy poo poo, am I glad I stopped following this series when I did. I wish this series ended twenty chapters in so it would have been about a guy who is awkward with girls gets a wing-man, who happens to be a girl, to help him out. Now that's a series I'd like to read.