Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Lum posted:

cat doesn't want to sleep in a stinky blow-molded plastic static generator what a shock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

no pun intended

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
lol

i got a $20 or so crinkle sack from amazon and my cat doesn't give a flying gently caress about it. she liked the box more than the sack

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I also like box more than sack.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

post the crinkle sack video

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

My sister was a cat hoarder, she began collecting them as a way to "help" them. Her intentions may have been good but she ended up with 50+ cats in and around her house, many of them desperately sick with respiratory illness which they spread to each other. I hated visiting her, it was so depressing and infuriating seeing so much suffering in the name of "love". I would have welcomed PETA coming and taking them all away.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Blinky13 posted:

There's some non-Peta documentation here - http://caboodleranch.net/?page_id=4

I believe that site isn't connected to Peta, just regular rescue people. A number of people have complained about the place in the past. The fact that he doesn't adopt them out ever really is a red flag.

I don't know about regular people. I did a whois on the domain and the guy that registered the domain seems to spend 90% of his time defending animal rights groups online, including the ASPCA and PETA.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
just installed hardwood flooring in my office at home this weekend, already getting a good amount of catte doriftuuu when tossing toys :hellyeah:

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

:dong:Teh boners:dong:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

z0ratio fartboner posted:

:3

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know about regular people. I did a whois on the domain and the guy that registered the domain seems to spend 90% of his time defending animal rights groups online, including the ASPCA and PETA.

well if you look at the facebook page it's pretty much PeTA PeTA PeTA OMG ANIMAL HOARDERS posting sooooooo.... it's hard to really take any page/stance from anyone because the whole ordeal is just so hosed up

regardless, the entire story is just depressing and it's a shame that craig refused help when offered by multiple people and also was oblivious to the situation of the animals on the property. i don't think the actions taken were proper, and it shows on caboodleranch.net they at least came out and said "HEY CRAIG! YOU NEED TO FIX THIS!" but didn't do anything past that.

it's just a shame that they weren't willing to offer any sort of means to assist him in his effort, rather than take all the cats and undo the entire idea he started. no kill shelters are interesting because the entire idea is ironic - keep animals around that otherwise wouldn't be wanted by anyone. but then the crux of the matter is if you do that, how do you relieve the stress of the influx of unwanted pets?

not only that, how do you stop the spread of simple illness which in "normal" sanctuaries is easily remedied with inoculations/pills. 700 cats is a god drat lot and i don't care who you are, you need an army to make sure that poo poo is sound.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

flyboi posted:

it's just a shame that they weren't willing to offer any sort of means to assist him in his effort, rather than take all the cats and undo the entire idea he started.

When you have an out of control situation where animals are suffering & dying miserable deaths due to the sheer number of them being in one place, action has to be taken. At that point it's too late to sit down and work out a plan, especially if the guy refused to cooperate in the past.

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

flyboi posted:

no kill shelters are interesting because the entire idea is ironic - keep animals around that otherwise wouldn't be wanted by anyone. but then the crux of the matter is if you do that, how do you relieve the stress of the influx of unwanted pets?

Trap-neuter-return for ferals and requiring people by law to spay/neuter their animals.

It's entirely manageable there just isn't the political will to implement real solutions.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Kitties like Cat's Meow

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Could be because Peta and ASPCA are the groups that take the most bashing, they have the highest profiles, though there is a big anti-HSUS campaign out there. I'm pretty neutral-to-negative/embarrassed by Peta, but they actually accomplished a few things back before these issues were at all mainstream. I'm all in favor of supporting local rescues, and livestock specific rescues, over the national orgs that put more effort into p.r. than actual rescuing, but Peta bashing is so popular with all sides now, it's getting ridiculous. As annoying as it is to have any animal rights activities conflated with them, we're mostly on the same side of most issues. Although I don't want to hear about sea kittens ever again. That was bad.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Mr Paws status:

:ohdear:

Hug Every Cat
Oct 13, 2011

I just want to hug all of them but I can't because that's crazy. I can't hug every cat. I just want to.
Come back Mister Paws :ohdear:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Blinky13 posted:

I'm all in favor of supporting local rescues, and livestock specific rescues, over the national orgs that put more effort into p.r. than actual rescuing, but Peta bashing is so popular with all sides now, it's getting ridiculous.

Yeah I don't give money to national animal rights organizations other than Alley Cat Allies who pretty much do single-issue advocacy to get feral cats fixed and then returned to their environment.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Blinky13 posted:

Could be because Peta and ASPCA are the groups that take the most bashing, they have the highest profiles, though there is a big anti-HSUS campaign out there. I'm pretty neutral-to-negative/embarrassed by Peta, but they actually accomplished a few things back before these issues were at all mainstream. I'm all in favor of supporting local rescues, and livestock specific rescues, over the national orgs that put more effort into p.r. than actual rescuing, but Peta bashing is so popular with all sides now, it's getting ridiculous. As annoying as it is to have any animal rights activities conflated with them, we're mostly on the same side of most issues. Although I don't want to hear about sea kittens ever again. That was bad.

while i wonder about the whole caboodle ranch side, gently caress peta. gently caress them so hard that they stop every measure of anything they even try to do. they are an organization that wants to save few while destroying many. their ideals are somewhat sound but their actions are abysmal.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
if gizmo had been at a peta shelter, she wouldn't exist

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Mr Paws status:

:ohdear:

set up a webcam.

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

flyboi posted:

while i wonder about the whole caboodle ranch side, gently caress peta. gently caress them so hard that they stop every measure of anything they even try to do. they are an organization that wants to save few while destroying many. their ideals are somewhat sound but their actions are abysmal.

This is what peta claims their position is, which, if they're really doing this, is reasonable: http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animals/animal-shelters.aspx I wonder how much people are getting them mixed up with ALF, some of whom have stated they want to totally eliminate domestic cats because they're obligate carnivores! which isn't reasonable.

Also, peta's main business isn't shelters (it's being huge publicity whores and raising money), and they probably do get animals that are in pretty bad shape. I've gotten my last few cats from county pounds, just because they aren't no-kill, because no-kill is too expensive for publicly supported institutions. I know the big, shiny no-kill near me that gets on the national news for being fancy, cherry picks healthy, socialized animals from all around the area, and leaves behind older, skittish animals like the cat I'm fostering, who was at animal control, and would have been put down if a small group that fosters around here hadn't picked her up.

Edit - here's who's behind the first anti-peta hit on google, supposedly anti-nanny state org http://www.consumerfreedom.com/about/:

quote:

Who funds you guys? How about some "full disclosure"?

The Center for Consumer Freedom is supported by restaurants, food companies and thousands of individual consumers. From farm to fork, from urban to rural, our friends and supporters include businesses, their employees, and their customers.

Remember peta also busted Smithfield farms and tattles on industrial ag all the time, which is how I remain neutral/negative instead of totally negative about them. It would probably be good for them to avoid companion animals though, they are fanatics.

Blinky13 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 1, 2012

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
CatteCam

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Blinky13 posted:

This is what peta claims their position is, which, if they're really doing this, is reasonable: http://www.peta.org/issues/companion-animals/animal-shelters.aspx I wonder how much people are getting them mixed up with ALF, some of whom have stated they want to totally eliminate domestic cats because they're obligate carnivores! which isn't reasonable.

Also, peta's main business isn't shelters (it's being huge publicity whores and raising money), and they probably do get animals that are in pretty bad shape. I've gotten my last few cats from county pounds, just because they aren't no-kill, because no-kill is too expensive for publicly supported institutions. I know the big, shiny no-kill near me that gets on the national news for being fancy, cherry picks healthy, socialized animals from all around the area, and leaves behind older, skittish animals like the cat I'm fostering, who was at animal control, and would have been put down if a small group that fosters around here hadn't picked her up.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

They have societies all around the country and are more abrupt with euthanasia than most humane societies which is what unsettles me, aside from a lot of their seedy actions. PeTA actually had a stint with the earth liberation front in my home town against our humane society because gently caress knows all. I've volunteered a shitton of hours there and know our humane society is sound, but they don't meet the idealogical means of PeTA so OMG. Gizmo had been in the shelter I adopted her from for 8 months and was nearing euthanasia time because she was found un-hospitable due to her aggressive tendencies and ill-nature towards any animal. I literally took her from her death bed and worked things out so she was co-habitable with humans, cats and dogs. If she were in a PeTA backed society she would've died months before I could've even known she existed because of their aggressive means and tactics. Maybe I'm one in a billion that rents the retarded but gently caress anyone that would rob me of the ability to have run into gizmo, and gently caress anyone that does devious tactics to undermine facilities to try to help cats/dogs/whatever find their forever home. If they really want to help they should provide assistance and education to facilities so they can know where they're screwing up rather than ripping them apart and throwing animals to be killed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i volunteer at the hawaiian humane society quite a bit. gently caress peta

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Lum posted:

cats lol

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Lum posted:

Tokin Ring
Jun 12, 2011

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

cats lol

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

Just a reminder PETA thinks no animals should be pets and that they are our equals and people should let animals run free like the end of 12 monkeys

If someone says they support PETA 100%, you should go to their house and leave all the doors and windows open so their pets can make their own decisions

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

what if it's really us who are the pets

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Blinky13
Apr 24, 2008

flyboi posted:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

They have societies all around the country and are more abrupt with euthanasia than most humane societies which is what unsettles me, aside from a lot of their seedy actions. PeTA actually had a stint with the earth liberation front in my home town against our humane society because gently caress knows all. I've volunteered a shitton of hours there and know our humane society is sound, but they don't meet the idealogical means of PeTA so OMG. Gizmo had been in the shelter I adopted her from for 8 months and was nearing euthanasia time because she was found un-hospitable due to her aggressive tendencies and ill-nature towards any animal. I literally took her from her death bed and worked things out so she was co-habitable with humans, cats and dogs. If she were in a PeTA backed society she would've died months before I could've even known she existed because of their aggressive means and tactics. Maybe I'm one in a billion that rents the retarded but gently caress anyone that would rob me of the ability to have run into gizmo, and gently caress anyone that does devious tactics to undermine facilities to try to help cats/dogs/whatever find their forever home. If they really want to help they should provide assistance and education to facilities so they can know where they're screwing up rather than ripping them apart and throwing animals to be killed.

I agree they should stay out of the shelter business. They do seem very trigger happy - even if it were only the VA and NC shelters, that would be enough. It's never seemed like companion animals were a genuine concern as an organization; they threw it into the mix fairly recently, and it seemed more like a move to make them seem more mainstream. In addition to their ELF support, they're kind of the "moderate" public face of ALF, which is why I don't support them. Hardliners are good for moving the framework over to the extreme end, but it's well past time for them to grow up. Though you should keep in mind that the petakills animals website is a product of these guys - http://www.consumerfreedom.com/ , who appear to be an industrial food/ag group trying to discredit a number of animal welfare groups, among others. One of their websites is in support of HFCS, for example. I totally understand your distaste for peta, but also look at where the most concentrated criticism comes from. Peta has also somehow become synonymous with vegetarianism, not just veganism, which I have to wonder who that serves. I feel like some people were relieved when they had the story of the peta shelters to point to when the issues of factory farming becoming known were making it less comfortable to continue with habits that were convenient and enjoyable for them.

I'm also finding out about a more hardcore no-kill faction - these people are against euthanizing animals even when it would alleviate the suffering of the terminally ill, (which I'd even support for humans), so that's something else to be wary of when you hear about these things.

Gizmo was going to get you no matter what - you should just accept that there was no way to avoid her. She'll probably come after you in the next life, too.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
So Caboodle is saying that basically the ASPCA and PETA took pictures and video and then edited it to look like they were being treated worse than they were, but how the hell do you explain something like this? http://www.flickr.com/photos/caboodleranch_deathcamp/

(lol just noticed "deathcamp" in the URL)

Even if that was just 5 cats that were found on the property, it's still negligent. Some of those cats should have been taken to a clinic months ago, so his argument "well they're being cared for at home!" doesn't even hold up.

Edit: Like wtf, open flesh wound cat, hanging out in the forest? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

57Hz
Jan 27, 2009

A white-noise buzzing sound.
my sister is moving cross country for california to new york. her cat, Louie, is staying with my folks until she and her husband get settled.

my parents are very paranoid about having him in the house so they set up a tent as a place for him to relax and decompress after all the time in a pet carrier. why they did this instead of letting him out in the guest room i have no idea.

airport pickup

the tent

louie always looks grumpy