Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I got myself a birthday gift.

that looks like SO MUCH FUN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

One of these when the dude packs it up in a box:

and one of these if I am emailed next week:

A little bit excited!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

dancehall posted:

that looks like SO MUCH FUN

It is a sick powerful little toy that plays well with alpacas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nARnZWAyNm0

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

MrLonghair posted:

It is a sick powerful little toy that plays well with alpacas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nARnZWAyNm0

Not gonna lie, that video may have influenced my purchase. Here's the first crappy thing I made with it! http://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/i-got-a-new-thing-today

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I've actually had this guitar for a while but I just dropped in a set of new (old) pickups into it and I figured this would be a good time to show it off (I'm sort of proud of it)

It's a partscaster that consists of a Warmoth neck and bridge, guitar fetish neck and pickguard. The pickups are supposedly the original Texas Special pickups. They were given to me by a friend whom I trust, he's got no reason to lie and he gave them to me who cares. Also they sound awesome!

The neck is a boat back which basically means it's got a neck profile like the hull of a boat, and it is thick as hell. I really like it but it took a little bit of time to get used to.

I got the body blank; I stained and finsihed it myself and I'm really happy with the color it came out and how it fits with everything else. I want to do some electronic experimentation soon, different switching and such.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 24, 2012

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Picked this guy up today:

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!
I sold my electric guitar five years ago and was finally able to buy another (nicer one):

Ibanez AS193, it was one of the last Ibanez guitars to be put together in Japan (Fuji-gen). They made 141 in the one year it was in production. It sounds and feels really nice.

Now... to buy some pedals....

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Oprah Haza posted:

I sold my electric guitar five years ago and was finally able to buy another (nicer one):

Ibanez AS193, it was one of the last Ibanez guitars to be put together in Japan (Fuji-gen). They made 141 in the one year it was in production. It sounds and feels really nice.

I used to own that exact guitar and I absolutely loved it. I never should have sold it.......

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Oprah Haza posted:

I too owned one of these, also shouldn't have sold it (to my brother to finance a strat when I was on a Gilmour kick). I don't regret selling it since it's still in the family but I wish I had it sometimes when I want to get hella bluesy.

Fautzo
Jan 3, 2012

u can read this i guess idc
Someone was selling a Schecter Studio 4 Diamond series on craigslist for $500. When it eventually went down to $375, I called the guy, found out where he lived (45 minute drive from my house), I got there, found out he is about to move and is currently staying at a hotel located 10 minutes from my house, but completely out of the way of it! Meaning it was another 20 minutes to get there, then a 10 minute drive to get back. I was ready to kill this guy as I pulled up to the parking lot.

Then I saw the bass.

Worth all of the trouble.

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011
Well after many a moon, it is done. I got my Strymon Timeline, my Kingsley Jester, and the NYC pedalboard. Unseen in the photo is the power supply, TS808HW, and Guyatone WR-3. Also, the Russian big muff is out to be modded, and the POG 2 apparently has a defective chip and needs to be sent in for repairs.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
Just ordered this for my birthday:

It's a Lace X-Bar 4.5 pickup. Extremely light. Futuristic looking. Voiced somewhat like a supercharged noiseless P90, and originally created for Tosin Abasi of Animals As Leaders. It's going in my multiscale 8, which currently has an EMG 45dc bass pickup. Finding proper sized pickups for the guitar has been an issue since they need to be 4.5" long and either be at an angle or be bars, and Lace is one of the only companies to capitalize on this.

I was debating whether to get this or the Deathbar (a higher output more "metal" Lace pickup) since my OAF will have 2 of these, but in the end I figured being consistent would be the best. I've heard great things about the Deathbar so it'll be an eventual purchase.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Managed to track one down on Craigslist!
I'm already loving the bigger sound I'm getting out of this version over the my combo version w/8" speaker. I've got a BitMo kit on the way now too to add a tone control/gain boost and a 3 way switch to change up the gain staging (clean, overdriven, and hi gain).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Korg Wavestation, one sticky button and otherwise perfect condition. Got it for 125, not sure I'll keep it but due to the sticky button I've got 7 days of return time no questions asked.

:smug:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 27, 2012

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Korg Wavestation, one sticky button and otherwise perfect condition. Got it for 125, not sure I'll keep it but due to the sticky button I've got 7 days of return time no questions asked.

You could probably get double for it depending on where you are. I'd find it hard to hold on to one just because the Legacy collection is so drat good. One hell of a board though.

Just picked up this one for nothing. ESQ-1, sequencer expanded.

I guess whoever was gigging with it had a sense of humor. Absolutely beat to hell but she does work. I was planning to strip it for parts but I might give it a chop job instead. The keybed is dicey.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Been meaning to post for a few weeks as I've gotten a few cool new pieces of gear!

I got a Dl4 a few weeks ago, and I actually ended up picking up a second one...

And I have my sights set on a third. I keep finding them for really good deals in my area. I plan on replacing the stock footswitches in all of them, as they loving suck.

Then on my hunt to find a 22 fret HH guitar, I ended up buying this, with a feeling that I'd be returning it shortly thereafter. It lasted 3 days. I find I actually really dislike the blacktop series of guitars.

Hint: There are several things in this picture that show how much of a goon I am

I also found the exact amp I was looking for, been looking for about 2-3 months now. Got it at a steal, and the guy even threw in a funky 1970's Ampeg PA thing.

It's a 1973-75 Fender Twin Reverb in amazing shape. Haven't opened it yet so I can't confirm the exact date. I'm going over to my amp tech's house tomorrow and we're going to blackface mod it, through in a new set of JJ tubes and new speakers as it came with some old brand called Pyle Drivers. I think I'm going to throw a set of Eminence Patriot's into it, we'll see though.

Ampeg SR6

Lots of new things, but stuff always goes in and out. I've made a resolution to only keep things I really, truly like now.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just in time before my Komplete arrives tomorrow

:snoop:

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Thorpe posted:

Pic of Intrepid 8

How do you like the Cepheus pickups in the Intrepid? I've been wondering about them since a few people who've tried both say they compare favorably to a Lundgren M8 (not as open or complex but still close).

No pics yet, but I'm in some talks with a few other people to do a run of a very unique guitar: a fully hollow Jazzbox style 8-string. The guy organizing has been talking with Victor Baker and one other luthier, and we'll be able to get a discount price for multiple builds. Still not 100% committed, this'll be expensive and somewhat specific in it's application. But it's also almost entirely unique, and will definitely be a very well made guitar.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

The Gasmask posted:

How do you like the Cepheus pickups in the Intrepid? I've been wondering about them since a few people who've tried both say they compare favorably to a Lundgren M8 (not as open or complex but still close).

For stock pickups on a guitar that costs as little for what you get as the agile 8-strings, they are more than capable. I rather liked the neck pickup, but I ended up switching out the bridge for a dmarzio d-activator 8. Ive never played any sort of lundgren pickup so I can't compare, but I found the dacrivator to sound more open, with a touch more clarity. The Cepheus pickups will absolutely do fine for you I imagine, they are great for stock pickups.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I just got one of these on craigslist for about 1/3 of what they go for new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/boss-br-1600cd-multitrack-digital-recorder

Can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Subparr posted:

I just got one of these on craigslist for about 1/3 of what they go for new:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/boss-br-1600cd-multitrack-digital-recorder

Can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

I had one of those! That, the original BR8 (using zip disks oh god) and a Yamaha AW16g.

The BR1600 is pretty good, a great way to do recording without paying for a full PC or analog setup. It's got built in COSM amp/bass sims and the traditional Boss effects, so you can keep most of your signal in the box. I can't remember if the drum stuff was any good, the BR8 had some very basic drum loops but nothing as complex as a DR550.

Let me know how you end up liking it! Your post is giving me GAS for one again, so I can record when I'm too lazy to turn on my PC.

E: Make good use of the V-tracks; in short order they will become one of the most helpful tools.
For those who don't know: V-Tracks are extra "layers", 8 per regular track (so each of the 16 tracks has 8 v-tracks). Only one v-track can be selected per track at a time. You can use them for multiple takes or alternate ideas, and choose the best parts from each one for the final mix.

I would set the 1600 to loop whatever section I was working on, then play until I had the v-tracks filled up. My first take would usually be a hair off, but by the third or fourth it'd be perfect, and I'd select that as the main track.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 28, 2012

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Thanks for the info! I mainly got it for its portability since I'd really like recording our shows more. Plus it was 350 bones. I have a lot to learn about it though for sure.

Not sure I'll use the drum loops since I can play to a click and have an electric drumkit.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

After All The Prosaic Waiting... The Sun Finally Crashes Into The Earth.
Picked up an Ampeg B1RE bass head for $150.

I don't have my bass on hand, so I plugged in my Ibanez to test it out. This thing sounds great. I bought it for my upright bass, but now I'm wishing I could use it for guitar.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Brettbot posted:

I don't have my bass on hand, so I plugged in my Ibanez to test it out. This thing sounds great. I bought it for my upright bass, but now I'm wishing I could use it for guitar.

The B1RE can drive a 6x10/8x10?

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

The B1RE can drive a 6x10/8x10?

300 watts at 4 Ohms, so I don't see why not. :confused:

Edit: And yeah, it's a 4 Ohm cab, if you didn't know.

Brettbot fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 29, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Brettbot posted:

Why can't you? Guitars sound great through a lot of different bass heads.

Brettbot
Sep 18, 2006

Scarf posted:

Why can't you? Guitars sound great through a lot of different bass heads.

Well yeah, I can (Fender Bassman and all that), just I have no need to. I haven't played guitar in a band in years, so it's a bit much for practice in the apartment is all I meant. ;) Hopefully soon I'll be playing guitar live again, though!

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Cancelbot posted:

Guitar wasn't really clicking for me so I've changed to drums (I think being a Rush fan taints my opinions somewhat)

I've not spent much at first, they should arrive tomorrow:

I think the book was mentioned here before, but the amazon reviews sealed it.

If you get annoyed at the sound of the Remo practice pad like I did, spring for a RealFeel pad. It is so much bigger and nicer, and its ~$30 on amazon

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Brettbot posted:

Well yeah, I can (Fender Bassman and all that), just I have no need to. I haven't played guitar in a band in years, so it's a bit much for practice in the apartment is all I meant. ;) Hopefully soon I'll be playing guitar live again, though!

Since my JCM2000 is in the shop I've been playing my guitar through my SVT and I think it sounds pretty great!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Pics of the Lace Aluma X-Bar 4.5 installed in my guitar. Was my first solo installation and also first active-to-passive switch, and I didn't have to redo it! Pickup is amazingly hot and uncompressed. Has a P90 midrange and bite, but cleaner. It's also super thin and light. Overall it rocks!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Babby's first spring reverb!

Love it when I find minute-old auctions with good Buy It Now prices (15€). Distorts wonderfully, maxed out depth creates a weird harmonizing effect. Gonna try it with some real instruments now.

(The circuitry andgeneral fuzz of it all makes a lot of patches on my Kurzweil rompler sound far more realistic, guitars for one thing)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 30, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

What software is that you're running on your phone?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Drifter287 posted:

What software is that you're running on your phone?

RE3 Groovebox for Android, I recommend it for Android 2.3 and later devices because that takes care of most audio latency issues, http://www.mikrosonic.com/rd3 / https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mikrosonic.RD3 , works as a good sketchpad and also exports to .wav

Also comes as RD3 HD (more drums, another bassline machine, effects) which runs just fine on that Samsung Galaxy S, just feels like it's got more sensitive controls.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

New pedal day.

The t-rex mudhoney that is (extremely blurry pic) I've had the m13 for a while but I wanted something seperate for distortions.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 30, 2012

Jackson1160
Jul 29, 2011
[quote="MrLonghair"]
Babby's first spring reverb!

Love it when I find minute-old auctions with good Buy It Now prices (15€). Distorts wonderfully, maxed out depth creates a weird harmonizing effect. Gonna try it with some real instruments now.

(The circuitry andgeneral fuzz of it all makes a lot of patches on my Kurzweil rompler sound far more realistic, guitars for one thing)
[/quote
Nice find man. Can we get some audio clips?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Well, I am basically poor now, but I did buy an Elektron 10th Anniversary Blue Monomachine SFX-60:

Can't wait for this thing to get here! Now to eat hard boiled eggs for the next month and save up enough money to buy a the +Drive!

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
A set of Gibraltar suspension mounts for my new DIY electronic drum kit:

A junky 10" snare drum to be converted to electronic use for a side snare (eBay auction pic):

I won't be able to play the completed kit until I move in late June, but it also means I have a lot of time to scour eBay for deals on cheap full-size cymbal pads and a hi-hat controller.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Probably the worst photo ever taken of the shiniest loving thing I own, but whatevs, I've finally got a delay, which means I've got basically all the major effect categories covered. Now if only I had a proper pedalboard. And also to figure out how to keep the delay from feeding back on itself. I am music's worst criminal.

(Also, if cash holds out in the near future, I'm getting a loving Rainbow Machine. I might as well sound as ridiculous as possible, it's not like I'm gigging.)

Limbertimbre
Sep 7, 2007
Oscillator Modulator
Nord Modular G2 Engine is good buddies with the Akai MPK mini. Welcome to the goon psytrance party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Probably the worst photo ever taken of the shiniest loving thing I own, but whatevs, I've finally got a delay, which means I've got basically all the major effect categories covered. Now if only I had a proper pedalboard. And also to figure out how to keep the delay from feeding back on itself. I am music's worst criminal.

(Also, if cash holds out in the near future, I'm getting a loving Rainbow Machine. I might as well sound as ridiculous as possible, it's not like I'm gigging.)

Is it a deliberate choice to have it pre gain pedals?