Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
That's a great post. There's certainly a few Liverpool players that could do with a good caning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Another factor people dont realise is that dalglish has never had the same
hunger to win after hillsborough.The tragedy changed him totally.He is ok until
any kind of stress occurs and then the post traumatic stress kicks in every time
and his decision making goes to pot.ALL FANS SHOULD REALISE THAT THIS THE
NUMBER ONE FACTOR BEHIND THE HORROR STORY OF OUR SEASO.DALGLISH AT
THE START OF THE SEASON WHEN DECIDING ABOUT SIGNINGS WENT BACK TO
HIS HAPPY PLACE LIKE ALL SUFFERERS OF PTSD AND TOURNED BACK THE CLOCK
TO 1987 TO HIS ALL BRITISH TEAM.THE RESULT HAS BEEN CATASTROPHIC FOR
ALL OF US.I SUSPECT THAT DALGLISH WILL BE REMOVED SHORTLY ON HEALTH
GROUNDSO.Our club is deeply troubled.

Quoting my own post for the new page because I'm laughing at this again.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Dalglish is cracking up.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

quote:

They should make monkey noises at white players too so it doesn't seem so obvious or maybe use another animal so in theory they can argue it isn't racist but the players on the pitch will know the meaning asnd be insulting all the same. Our fans can be so stupid sometimes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilHawk posted:

There seems to be a large group of people on RAWK that think if you don't blindly support the manager 100% you should become Chelsea or Man City fans or something. I was curious, do any of the other supporter boards have this (I'm thinking of United in particular, who have a simiarly well-loved manager)?

There's a small but very vocal portion of the West Ham support who think that about Sam Allardyce - these are the same ones that say that all that matters is getting promoted and getting into the Olympic Stadium. I don't think that it's the same psychological thing though, for Liverpool fans it's a tribal thing, but for these people it's like the only enjoyment they get from the game is from looking at the scoreboard (which is admittedly the most entertaining thing at Upton Park these days, especially when it shows us losing another 1-0 lead we've been sitting on for 85 minutes).

A quick scan of the shittier end of the various forums reveals this reaction which sort of sums it up:

quote:

Wake up and smell the coffee, we will always struggle in the modern era if we continue to carry the albatross around our necks which is 'the academy of football'.

quote:

So, let me get this right, were third in the league, 10 points above 4th, one point away from second which we could be by Saturday evening.

Probably about to break a record for our highest ever number of away wins.

Were been on an unbeaten run of 11 games.

And we want a new manager......incredible!!

Yes, a lot of you are deluded!!!

(those 11 unbeaten games have included 6 draws, all but one of which have been caused by us sitting on a 1-0 lead and conceding late)

Most of the Allardyce defenders have laid low the last few weeks because it's not been going too well for him (and he's taken to arguing with the fans now), but if West ham go up automatically they'll have a smugasm.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They'll be justified when he takes over for Mourinho at Real Madrid this summer

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In response to a youtube video of Casillas being kinda gross:

casillas loving dirty gypsy....stupid gently caress gay rear end monkey motherfucker,loving pussy casillas...what the gently caress are you thing you doing?is just a little kid,you loving boy lover....dirty scum...go back to your loving village you loving peasant......casillas you homosexual bitch.....after that i do not respect you anymore.......sick bastard......your mother is a puta and you are a travensite....................­.
TheElpedrino 52 minutes ago 5

Oh, and there was also this:

quote:

quote:

frustrated greek rear end in a top hat eat this !
Casillas the best in the world ! hahhaaa
GreatAlbania100 in reply to TheElpedrino (Show the comment) 15 minutes ago

THE ONLY THING THAT I EAT IS YOUS MAMAS PUSSY....SUCK MY PRICK loving BOY LOVER....YOU ARE A PEASANT FROM ALBANIA AND YOUR DONKEY FUCKS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY EVERY DAY...YOU LIKE DONKEYS COCK...COME AND SUCK MY COCK I gently caress YOYR MOTHER AND YOUR FAMILY FOR FREE..YOU THING SPANISH PEOPLE GIVES A gently caress FOR GYPSY ALBANIA?XAXAXAXFUCKING MUSLIM COSOVO IS SERBIA AND SERBS KILL AND gently caress ALBANIANS GYPSYS...REMEBER WHEN YOUR GYPSYALBANIANS CRYING IN TV AFTER SERBIANS gently caress YOU?XAXAXAX GAY..GO TO ISLAM.......
TheSkastere in reply to GreatAlbania100 2 minutes ago

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

quote:

So, I was talking to my friend the other day and we were discussing the EPL. He is a Newcastle fan and he asked me who was my favorite player. I said either RVP or Sagna. I also said that I call RVP "Beast" since he never misses the net. He siad to me, "Do you know what non-Gunners call RVP? rear end in a top hat who never loving misses."
I guess he has built a good reputaion for himself, being the top scorer in the EPL and 3rd in total this season (meaning Messi, Ronaldo, RVP).

this is making me laugh more than it should

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
From here:

quote:

Imagine that you're spending the afternoon with Stephen Hawking in a cafe and he says to you through his speech generating device while aimlessly staring into the gray gloom of early spring, "Dude, this weather is for the birds. Let's jump into this wormhole I've created and travel back in time to August when the sun was still radiating!" Perhaps you're a man of science and you respond, "cool beans Stevo, I'm down for a day of traveling through the fourth dimension." On the other side of that wormhole is August 1, 2011 and the location is a pub near Old Trafford. Upon seeing the 'Theatre of Dreams', and also yourself as you were nearly 8 months ago, your mind wanders to thoughts of United and you decide to tell (or shock) your past self (*), "Yo man, Jonny Evans will be United's outstanding defender this upcoming season. Oh, and Patrick Vieira is still a numpty." Chances are, your past self would stare at you like you were a crazy-man or he'd wonder if your present self hit his head through the turbulent journey of time travel. He might even presume that United were now a mid-table side -- you know, like Liverpool.

(*) This might be a paradox, I'm not really sure. It's been awhile since I read Hawking for recreation. Feel free to chime in if you happen to be a physicist.

:ughh:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Awwwwww that is an adorable post.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The only thing worse than dumb people being dumb is dumb people trying to be smart

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Andy Carroll's former agent was on twitter last night:

'When I represented AC before he was pinched by Mark Curtis, he was always wanting a transfer, graet lad apart from he batters women. Fact'

'Grass greener on the other side springs to mind, boo hoo want to come home. Wanka'

'AC is marked that tight now he has his arms up more times than a Japanese prisoner of war complaining so much. Useless.Two left feet'

'Is AC worth more than a 12 year old Vauxhall Vectra parked doon the teams on a winters night?'

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
He's left footed so two left feet would be a good thing.

e: vvv haha owned.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Andy Carroll is actually left footed so if he had two left feet he would be really good

also that guy sounds abominable

edit: ninpo :argh:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jose posted:

Andy Carroll's former agent was on twitter last night:

He does it all the time, usually aimed at Allardyce and Phil Gartside. It's funny, but he seems like a complete moron.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!

irlZaphod posted:

what website is this bad post from?

:confused:

e: woops. nevermind, carry on

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Economically it seems like a smart decision. It's easy to say take the 35m-50m and make two 20m signings to replace him.

I’m going to state an opinion that serves as an assumption for this whole piece, I think that David Luiz will be a top 4-5 center back in the world within 2 years and that he is currently top 20 in the world and top 5-6 in the prem. If you don’t rate him at least close to that level, this argument is inherently flawed.

If you think of it in terms of pts. over replacement player (not sure this exists but it should). In this article we’ll take it to mean the number of points a player is expected to earn you over a season greater than the average premier league footballer. (assuming both play 100% of the time).

We’ll say that Luiz is worth a completely arbitrary number of 7 pts. over replacement player (porp or porpoise for fun). Let’s say two 20m signings could be worth 4 pts. over replacement player each (even go to 5 if you'd like).

Then say the average full time position is worth about 4 pts (based on a 40 pt mid-table finish, excluding goal keepers for simplicities sake right now) and since most full time players play 75-90% of the time, we’ll say they are worth 3.2 pts. (arbitrary but reasonable assumptions do not take into account talent rarity at specific positions etc.) We are also assigning minutes to be of equal value for simplicity (obviously some minutes are more important than others)

If Chelsea had 10 david luiz’s in this hairy hypothetical they’d have 110 pts (a new prem record out of a max 114. The right center back david luiz got caught driving into the opposing 6 yard box while the holding midfielder david luiz was off for a cramp giving up a goal to lose to newly promoted west ham of all teams, and Chelsea dropped a point when di matteo insisted on starting torres and sturridge together in the second game of the season against united)

This is also assuming that the 10 david luiz’s play every minute of every game etc. (obviously inaccurate, so let’s say that the starter played 85% of match minutes and the substitute was 2 points above an average premier league player (another assumption I know). This means you’d expect to receive something like 7-8 pts less in the course of a full season. We’re already down to 102 pts. Keep in mind this was a team purchased at ~250 million pounds and in its prime.

Quick math with the replacement players – 4*10 = 40 + 40 and we’re starting out with 80 pts. Drop that down for 15% of subs and we’re at about 77 pts. This point total barring major injuries to huge stars never wins a premier league title and finishes 4th in 2008/2009, 2007/2008. And this is an oversimplified model which is predicting generous point totals.

So while it is likely impossible to get 10 players in the 7-8 porp range (even in 2004-2005 it’s more likely players were in the 5-6 range, but due to squad depth subs were in the same range), I would say that it is relatively easy for a club like Chelsea to get a number of players in the 3-4 porp range. I’d argue the vast majority of the team is in this range right now and in some cases even worse, a few noticeable guesses - left wing (assuming mata in midfield) 1-2, right back 2-3, st 2.

Essentially my argument is that you can’t make a premier league championship side without several outstanding (6-7+ porp players). It’s unfair to say that we can replace one of our best players (top 3-4 porps in the side) with 2 good players (average porps in the side (3-5, as that is all a good player will be at Chelsea’s level).

The only way you can make the argument that is a good deal is if you believe we can receive in return players that exceed this magical 5 porp barrier. The goal in the transfer market should be to receive higher lifetime expected porps (in chelsea’s special case higher expected porps in the next season or two).

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
On 20 August, Kelly played for the whole match away to Arsenal[citation needed] and helped Liverpool keep a clean sheet in a 2–0 victory. He nearly scored in the second half, as his shot from 15 yards hit the outside of the post. England manager, Fabio Capello, was present at the match and applauded his performance.[13] On 27 August 2011, Kelly limped off the field due to hamstring strain in the match against Bolton Wanderers.

However he made a quick recovery from the hamstring strain as it wasn't as serious as first feared[14] On 21 September 2011, he was back in the lineup and played 86 minutes against Brigthon & Hove Albion[citation needed]. Later in the week, on 25 September 2011, he played the whole match against Wolverhampton Wanderers[citation needed]. Kelly continued his fine form against Manchester United in a 1–1 draw at Anfield on 15 October 2011[citation needed], keeping tricky winger Ashley Young quiet for the whole game[citation needed]. On 29 November he scored a header against Chelsea as Liverpool won 2-0 at Stamford Bridge, sending them through to the semi-finals of the League Cup.[15]

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Have united signed a new far eastern player? .....Out-Sung played for the full 90 minutes tonight.

--

▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

▒▓██ W █ I █ N █ N █ I █ N █ G ██▓▒

▒▓██ T █ O █ O █ N ██ A █ R █ M █ Y ██▓▒

▒▓█ █ N █ E █ W █ C █ A █ S █ T █ L █ E █ █ U █ N █ I █ T █ E █ D █ █▓▒

▒▓██ Q █ U █ I █ N █ N █ Y █ D █ E █ S █ P █ I

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

trem_two posted:

We’ll say that Luiz is worth a completely arbitrary number of 7 pts. over replacement player (porp or porpoise for fun). Let’s say two 20m signings could be worth 4 pts. over replacement player each (even go to 5 if you'd like).

the sabermetrics of football

LaneAveElite
Oct 31, 2010
We were unlucky, on another day we would have battered them. Yes if we just look at the scoreline this seems bad, but there were a lot of positives to take from the game. All we need is a bit of patience, so get behind the manager and the team and stop moaning, all of you. We'll batter the next team, they're due a hiding. We wouldn't even have a club to support now about a year ago and at least Hodgson's not managing us any more. And if you can't agree with all that, give your FA Cup semi-final ticket to someone who does because you don't deserve it.

The only way is up! Roll on the next game. YNWA.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Am proud of my Club.... Proud of my Manager.......... And some player's............ But dey Truth is that we are just not lucky dis season..... But Fella's Mark dis date 1st April...... 2012......... Am gonna be up D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ by next season,,,,,,,,,, up liverpool Up Red's........... We shall never walk Alone.............

What's Liverpool?.A khaki team which doesn't allow BLACKS to express themselves & play totally soccer.Mix the colour,Africa is the best,who's Sourez by the way?,he's already addicted to drugs that's why he's mistakimg another black yet he' also black!.

liverpool why why why why why why why why?

LIVERPOOL LOSERPOOL

Now i understand de reason why BABEL called liverpool a sinkin ship, Newcastle 2-0 Livermeat, livermeat fans what do u ppl have 2 say about dis.

Liverpool has lost its liver..... Why?

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

vyelkin posted:

Am proud of my Club.... Proud of my Manager.......... And some player's............ But dey Truth is that we are just not lucky dis season..... But Fella's Mark dis date 1st April...... 2012......... Am gonna be up D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ by next season,,,,,,,,,, up liverpool Up Red's........... We shall never walk Alone.............

What's Liverpool?.A khaki team which doesn't allow BLACKS to express themselves & play totally soccer.Mix the colour,Africa is the best,who's Sourez by the way?,he's already addicted to drugs that's why he's mistakimg another black yet he' also black!.

liverpool why why why why why why why why?

LIVERPOOL LOSERPOOL

Now i understand de reason why BABEL called liverpool a sinkin ship, Newcastle 2-0 Livermeat, livermeat fans what do u ppl have 2 say about dis.

Liverpool has lost its liver..... Why?
this is great

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

vyelkin posted:

D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥
What does this mean

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011

LaneAveElite posted:

We were unlucky, on another day we would have battered them. Yes if we just look at the scoreline this seems bad, but there were a lot of positives to take from the game. All we need is a bit of patience, so get behind the manager and the team and stop moaning, all of you. We'll batter the next team, they're due a hiding. We wouldn't even have a club to support now about a year ago and at least Hodgson's not managing us any more. And if you can't agree with all that, give your FA Cup semi-final ticket to someone who does because you don't deserve it.

The only way is up! Roll on the next game. YNWA.

Kenny out for this guy, already talks like a manager

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

The Gunge posted:

Kenny out for this guy, already talks like a manager

You need to post in the Secret Santa thread fyi

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
At the end of the day the blame lies with the palyers.

They are simply not good enough.

Carragher, Spearing, Adam, Henderson, Kuyt, Carroll, Downing.

All average players.

Kenny has won leagues with Liverpool and Blackburn so has anyone actually considered that its the players fault not kenny's.

Kenny signed the palyers on good form at other clubs and they havnt produced for us thus letting the manager and fans down. Its a disgrace the performances they are putting in week in week out.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

:biotruths:

Anybody thinks Liverpool Line Up lack of a few physical players, possibly some black players... we are the only team with all white players in the starting 11, and we are out muscle in the midfield... I am particularly frustrated in seeing Downing plays... he should have provided the speed, power or may be some skills when he is on, but he is not... we need players like the old Drogba, or may be Yaya... or may be a group of non stop people like Arsenal/Hotspurs/Newcastle has... this is really sad to see liverpool's game now

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
FOOLGLISH hasn't got a clue ??? The players don't know how too play football under this idiot FOOLGLISH !!! It's a DISGRACEFUL display...Please leave FOOLGLISH

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
lotr meets teletubbies

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TyChan posted:

Wait is this a real picture or a photoshop, I'm confused now

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

Please leave us , We don’t trust you anymore = ( ..

The Mash posted:

Wait is this a real picture or a photoshop, I'm confused now

Anfield is not that large and the toilet lid has been taken down pending the sale of naming rights.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 2, 2012

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-fix-american-soccer-move-an-english-premiere-league-team-to-new-york-2012-4

quote:

The Michael Jordans of soccer play in far away European leagues that Americans do not pay attention to.

So what's the solution?

America loves a winner. So let's buy one.

Some very wealthy business person needs to make the no-brainer decision to buy one of the marginal premier league teams – might we suggest the Wolverhampton Wanderers? – and move this team to New York.

quote:

Moving a Premier League team to New York would instantly add billions of dollars into the values of Premier League by marketing the teams to the US and even more loudly in the world.

quote:

One important thing this franchise must immediately do: shell out lots of cash for some of the world's best players to make the team an instant powerhouse. We'd suggest the team start with Christiano Ronaldo, a man designed by god for the soccer field and Times Square billboards. This plan may sound like a too simple way to the top, but it's exactly what Manchester City's new owners have done in the past four years.

:911:

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

holy gently caress

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

It reads like a joke, but we all know better than that (RIP Springfield Isotopes).

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Even his bio is hosed.

"Nicholas Carlson is a deputy editor at Business Insider. His ground-breaking investigative reporting has re-written the histories of Facebook, Twitter, and Groupon."

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Surely that was just posted a day late?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

I got as far as...

quote:

LeBron James would be an elite striker.

...and that was enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
that's incredible

I loved this:

quote:

LeBron James would be an elite striker. He'd be nifty up front, too. Derrick Rose could wear number 10 and distribute and score from the right side of the mid-field. Darrelle Revis would shut down the world's best scorers.

like, not only does it hit all the usual GREAT ATHLETE = GREAT AT ANY SPORT poo poo but they even know that Rose would be right footed and great at creating chances... because he's good at creating chances in the NBA... with his hands.