Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
This afternoon I was down to my last couple of frames on a roll of Velvia 50, walking home past my local watering hole, and a couple in the parking lot smiled and pointed at me and said "camera!" (and some other stuff, I was wearing headphones). I took off the headphones and smiled at them, they kept pointing at my camera and posed together, arms around each other and big smiles.

I shrugged, said "OK", and snapped a picture. I don't think they realized I was shooting film, I sort of paused for a second after working the wind lever, they didn't ask to see the picture and their daughter (?) came out and took them into the bar. I finished off the roll and dropped it off at my local shop - it should come back in a week.

Kind of odd, it felt like the opposite of the usual street photography thing, where the photographer usually asks to take a picture of some stranger, not the other way around. I hope they're not too disappointed that I couldn't show them the shot.

\/\/\/

Reichstag posted:

Always carry extra film.
Words to live by, right here.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I love when that happens. It's not often, but it's kind of funny and disconcerting and satisfying. The worst is when someone asks while I am walking home with an empty camera. Always carry extra film.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Quite a few people (6?) have asked me to see the photos after shooting them with film, I don't mind it all and find it pretty funny. When they ask, I hold the back of the camera to them and show them the little film box strip in its holder. (in a joking non-rear end in a top hat way of course).

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I read this and now I want to die.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303816504577305702578426084.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Pentaxforums.com pulled a cruel April fools this year, announcing a full frame Pentax DSLR.

Pentaxians being a humorless bunch, it did not fare well.

quote:

Surely this is not a joke. This kind of thing would be enough to make loyal, "patient" pentaxians jump ship and go to another brand. :|

quote:

I really can't believe that a reputable forum would post such a puerile joke.

quote:

Sorry, JUST NOT FUNNY.

quote:

Maybe PentaxForums has been generating to much traffic and they just want less visitors?

Really, I have been quite fond of Pentax for a long time (though I think their recent releases are blah), but I have never seen such a negative, unhappy bunch of people as I see on the various Pentax boards.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Pentaxforums.com pulled a cruel April fools this year, announcing a full frame Pentax DSLR.

Really, I have been quite fond of Pentax for a long time (though I think their recent releases are blah), but I have never seen such a negative, unhappy bunch of people as I see on the various Pentax boards.

APRIL FOOLS

Oh wait...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Pretty much by definition, you would imagine pentaxians to be optimists with a good sense of humour.

AceClown posted:

APRIL FOOLS

Oh wait...

A hell of a good sense of humour..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Oh man that is pretty cruel.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I knew the "K-3" was fake as soon as I saw it was not offered in a series of gaudy colors.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It's really too bad, Pentax DSLRs were pretty competitive when the first started making them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I still think my K10d was one of my favourite cameras, but I didn't trust the future of Pentax :(

Plus the appeal of "wow I can get a ton of old lenses for cheap??" wore off pretty quickly when I realized they were pretty cheap for a reason.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I want a full-frame OM-mount DSLR dammit

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

I want a full-frame OM-mount DSLR dammit

What I would like is a basic, manual focus, no semi-transparent mirror, pentaprism, big viewfinder DSLR that has interchangeable mounts. Oh, and a FF monochrome sensor would be nice too. Just something to mount old OM, Nikkor, FD, M42 glass to.

With tech getting cheaper all the time, I would not be entirely surprised to see some niche manufacturer putting out on of these within the next 5 years. Cosina, you listening?

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Cosina, you listening?

The owner of Cosina has repeatedly said he does not like digital cameras, so it'll take quite a bit for that to happen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just noticed a flood of Nikon 35 1.8s hitting craigslist here after not seeing a single one for like months on end. Thinking about picking one up, but I'll probably just get a 50 D instead.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

AceClown posted:

APRIL FOOLS

Oh wait...

I know the camera is poo poo but that pancake lens still seems pretty amazing to me..

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I know the camera is poo poo but that pancake lens still seems pretty amazing to me..

Is it still a pancake when 3/4 of it is sticking into the camera body, thanks to the legacy k-mount nonsensically transplanted onto a mirror-less body?

Martytoof posted:

Plus the appeal of "wow I can get a ton of old lenses for cheap??" wore off pretty quickly when I realized they were pretty cheap for a reason.

You shut your whore mouth!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I lent our department's camera to someone who needed to take pictures of an off-campus event. She put it in her bag without realizing there was glitter in it. There was glitter everywhere. I had to take the front lens element off to clean it out and it took a good half an hour just to get it out of the ridges in the focus ring. The bits that were under the focus ring either fell out or farther in, I'm not sure which. It's a Tamron 17-50, so I'm sure there's plenty inside where the lens barrel slides in and out. At least none made it into the mirror box.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

GWBBQ posted:

I lent our department's camera to someone who needed to take pictures of an off-campus event. She put it in her bag without realizing there was glitter in it. There was glitter everywhere. I had to take the front lens element off to clean it out and it took a good half an hour just to get it out of the ridges in the focus ring. The bits that were under the focus ring either fell out or farther in, I'm not sure which. It's a Tamron 17-50, so I'm sure there's plenty inside where the lens barrel slides in and out. At least none made it into the mirror box.

The hazards of loaning a camera to someone who takes their clothes off for money.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

What I would like is a basic, manual focus, no semi-transparent mirror, pentaprism, big viewfinder DSLR that has interchangeable mounts. Oh, and a FF monochrome sensor would be nice too. Just something to mount old OM, Nikkor, FD, M42 glass to.

With tech getting cheaper all the time, I would not be entirely surprised to see some niche manufacturer putting out on of these within the next 5 years. Cosina, you listening?

Interchangable-back, interchangeable-mount manual-focus pentaprism (D)SLR with focus confirm, matrix/spot metering modes, and 1080p recording or a 35mm cine back :unsmigghh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

Interchangable-back, interchangeable-mount manual-focus pentaprism (D)SLR with focus confirm, matrix/spot metering modes, and 1080p recording or a 35mm cine back :unsmigghh:

This is very close to what you want http://www.cameraquest.com/rol3003.htm . No digital or focus confirmation but drat.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Augmented Dickey posted:

Well, the camera isn't "poo poo" really. It's just a weird, poorly thought out design; the technology is pretty decent, even though the sensor is not the newest it still kicks the crap out of almost all APS sensors on the market today.

But yeah, the design and lack of viewfinder... and size because they wanted it to be native K-mount instead of via adapter... not sure what the gently caress they were smoking.

Mightaswell posted:

Is it still a pancake when 3/4 of it is sticking into the camera body, thanks to the legacy k-mount nonsensically transplanted onto a mirror-less body?

Well, it still fits on K-mount DSLRs so I'd say it qualifies. Remains to be seen if future "XS" lenses will be equally compatible though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I’ve saved up for months and just got my Stiletto TB15SS titanium hammer. At $220 they’re pricey but with the replaceable stainless steel face, ultra light weight handle, and excellent balance I can see myself using this for many years. I’ve had it 3 days now and it’s just wonderful. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good framing nail to use with this hammer?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's amazing.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
So.. wait, hammer forums have a :krock: too?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Bought a 135L today.

:Boner:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Elite Taco posted:

Bought a 135L today.

:Boner:

I once had to rent a 50L and 85L for a quick assignment thing, I've been chasing that first high ever since :smith::fh:

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Camera people are bad, but guitar players are worse. I've seen people buying $4000 guitars who can't play much beyond a few simple chords. People with brand new guitars in the mail which they haven't played yet asking people what they should upgrade first. It's sickening to see how sidetracked people get by gear lust. They literally spend more time talking about which capacitors, pickguard material, metal screws, cables, and humidity will give them the best tone than they do actually playing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On the upside, stash that $4000 guitar in a closet for 30 years and it'll come out being worth twice that.

So at least there's a potential for a return if they're patient.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

On the upside, stash that $4000 guitar in a closet for 30 years and it'll come out being worth twice that.

So at least there's a potential for a return if they're patient.

The same potentially holds true of some lenses. At the very least, they hold their value quite well until a version II supersedes it (10-ish years?)

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

Well maybe not for Canon if they keep releasing new versions of their lenses that cost twice as much as their predecessor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Friendly reminder, run a backup once in a while!

:negative:

Moving to a new hard drive, and some of my photos that hadn't made it to long term storage yet apparently landed on some bad sectors on the old drive. The upside is they weren't "keepers", but it still hurts to lose data.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I forgot to make a quick trip report a few weeks ago.

I went to a Ryan Brenizer workshop and it was p cool. He definitely does a good job of sharing a passion for photography and a drive to make great photos any time and any place.

I went to Fer Jauristi's workshop the week after and .... wow. I don't know what to say other than it's worth putting off a gear purchase/upgrade in order to spend a day with the dude. If I'd had to choose between the two, Fer is absolutely the better choice between the two.

I asked Ryan what workshops he hopes to attend this year and he mentioned Fer. :)

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Gravitom posted:

Well maybe not for Canon if they keep releasing new versions of their lenses that cost twice as much as their predecessor.

Doesn't that mean the old version will keep its value better, not worse?

Gravitom
Jul 27, 2001

I was disputing the last part of their comment about it holding their value UNTIL a successor is released.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Those guys at LensRentals are hilarious.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are they the same guys who did Battle at F-Stop Ridge?

edit: A quick google says no. My bad!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Not sure if this has been posted here but it's a nice watch about a guy who has a deep passion for wet plate photography: http://vimeo.com/39578584

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

:negative:

Moving to a new hard drive, and some of my photos that hadn't made it to long term storage yet apparently landed on some bad sectors on the old drive. The upside is they weren't "keepers", but it still hurts to lose data.
:love: ZFS data integrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Sorry for this, little bit of e/n

So, I'm seriously thinking about selling my gear.

I pretty much never take my camera anywhere else than hockey rink to shoot friends county league games. While some of the photos are not bad and it feels really great if someone likes them, it doesn't kick me to make myself shoot more. Bought expensive gear because I thought I needed it and thought I might become sports photographer or something, oh well...

Will probably take some snapshots at my cousin's wedding party later this month as I promised her and then off the gear goes I guess :smith: