Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Doc Dee posted:

Your blue text option is in the left hand dialogue options, I forgot which one but you follow one to the point where the looter's like, "what, you're going to shoot us" or something, and you can either be like, "if I have to I will," or "I won't, but the Blue Suns will."
The issue is that apparently using those ups the bar for every alignment check afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Hidohebhi posted:

Ask and ye shall receive!

721.F1F.L21.T81.HDF.1BW.3NA.116.LG6.IC6.2G6.276

I think their lips might be sliiiiightly different but still close enough to be creepily similar.

Alright, thanks a bunch!

Even with the ending I'm still having fun with the rest of the game, on my third playthrough now!

Dr. Bonertron
Mar 26, 2009

The doctor said I was too muscular to be aborted
So I finally got around to getting this game. I just went to Palaven and it's been cool and I like it so far. Looks great, and the war alliance mechanic seems pretty neat at a glance.

But one thing is bothering the hell out of me.

Shepard runs around acting like the only thing that matters is Earth. Seriously? We're just supposed to believe that he (and the rest of the humans) are brash enough to assume that the other races are just going to drop what they're doing and rush to our aid? Palaven is getting trashed just as much as Earth is, and I assume that the Salarians and Asari are under similar duress. I really wish that the emphasis was on an alliance and the secret weapon, not saving Earth. It would feel much more believable to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just dropping by to say that An End Once and For All is an utterly fantastic piece.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Frocious posted:

So I finally got around to getting this game. I just went to Palaven and it's been cool and I like it so far. Looks great, and the war alliance mechanic seems pretty neat at a glance.

But one thing is bothering the hell out of me.

Shepard runs around acting like the only thing that matters is Earth. Seriously? We're just supposed to believe that he (and the rest of the humans) are brash enough to assume that the other races are just going to drop what they're doing and rush to our aid? Palaven is getting trashed just as much as Earth is, and I assume that the Salarians and Asari are under similar duress. I really wish that the emphasis was on an alliance and the secret weapon, not saving Earth. It would feel much more believable to me.

This bugged me too. Shepard never really gives a great reason for why they need to save Earth more than anything else. He makes a very good point about how the races need to unite...but I think it's a bit wasted when he finishes that up by saying they need to do it to save Earth. It really makes him sound selfish.

The best reason given is because there are more Reapers at Earth than anywhere else, so if you stop them at Earth you've taken out the largest amount of Reaper forces, but still it just sounds weird the way Shepard stresses it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frocious posted:

This does kinda change as you go along, (s)he stops being so much "You must help earth!" and more "You must help our giant superweapon project!", which is a bit more reasonable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Alteisen posted:

So should someone just go neutral then? I'm going renegade on my quick ME2 playthrough and I'd hate it if I didn't have enough for a paragon/renegade check for when the crew starts arguing.

I really hate the forced-consistency mechanic, and if you're on PC, nobody will blame you if you use the savegame editor to cheat it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
So I just promoted 2 guys of mine from multiplayer for that achievement pack and nothing's popped up, do I get it after the whole doodad is done, or is it a glitch?

Also, is it just me or do Spectre packs blow?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So I just promoted 2 guys of mine from multiplayer for that achievement pack and nothing's popped up, do I get it after the whole doodad is done, or is it a glitch?

Also, is it just me or do Spectre packs blow?

We get them on Tuesday.

And yeah, Spectre packs can blow if you don't empty out the commons with Recruits first.

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
You guys on you're 2nd or 3rd play through have inspired me to get ME2 for the PS3 and play through it again and carry it through to ME3.

Thankfully the PS3 version includes all the DLC from ME2 so it'll have quite a bit of new content to trawl through. Hoping that some new content for 3 arrives in time for my second play through.

Will try and stay off youtube to keep from ruining anymore of the dialogue.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Elysiume posted:

The issue is that apparently using those ups the bar for every alignment check afterwards.
You've got it backwards, the bar is already raised by simply having the options available. When doing a speech check in ME2, the game is dividing your paragon or renegade score against the potential number of points you could have had up to that point, so if you see a red or blue choice and don't take it, you're most likely giving up potential points and making future checks harder.

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Urdnot Fire posted:

We get them on Tuesday.

And yeah, Spectre packs can blow if you don't empty out the commons with Recruits first.

Meh, I never get recruit packs and haven't played that much and p much have all the good rare poo poo.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Frocious posted:

Shepard runs around acting like the only thing that matters is Earth. Seriously? I really wish that the emphasis was on an alliance and the secret weapon, not saving Earth. It would feel much more believable to me.

They kind of give an answer to that later. Since you are beginning I won't say more but it is there.

Insofar as Soldier talk goes I like them but moreso in Me1 and 2. There was something about playing a true tank that amused me. If there was a damage mitigating ability added that would be awesome.I was replaying 1 yet again and found I still enjoy the class. That said I do still enjoy ME1 so take that for what you will. I don't spam AR like most Soldiers I see. More of an emergency button than anything else. I do use the piss out of Concussion Shot. A nice challenge on Insanity that borders on nigh on sodding impossible at times.

MMOs: I bloody hate them. It seems to be a genre that takes everything you like about something and spreading it on a Saltine or a bland piece of bread for mass market appeal. The Vegemite of games. I would still give er a go for at least a month if I could play a Salarian, Krogan or (please o please) a Hanar. Fear my tentacle flurry attack +10!

A sequel could be done. Think about it. Gates are gone so now you would have to struggle to try and reunite all the various pieces of the galaxy. Wrex was away from Tuchanka so who knows what a decade or two of breeding and angry Krogan are up to. The Turians, Asari and Salarians all got hit hard and most of them are probably cut off. It could be a game of exploration and rebuilding. One could always pull up a new race to come around to be the antagonist. I dont trust that shifty space cow. Fucker had to store that money somewhere. I'm thinking pocket dimensional portal. Move on from the Reapers and make the Universe a more dangerous place. I want to see a Leviathan dammit. I really just want more Sci Fi games instead of Tolkien rehash fantasy games. Also Im gay for some of the ME races. I never saw an Elcor or Hanar in battle. :cry:

edit for spoilers= sorry thought I was vague and only going over the known or could have guessed it bits - sorry again

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 1, 2012

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Well after playing this for a bit I gotta say it's not really enjoyable at the moment.

The combination of infinitely respawning enemies, useless squadmate and horrible bugs like ammo not picking up no matter how many times you run over it, is really making me rage.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mordiceius posted:

The ending to TTGL worked because they slowly ramp up the crazy through the series. By the end, you're totally on board with holding galaxies as weapons and other crazy poo poo.
That and it being so stupidly awesome.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Von_Doom posted:

A sequel could be done. Think about it. Gates are gone so now you would have to struggle to try and reunite all the various pieces of the galaxy.

aaaaaAAAAAA shut up shut up shut up

Isn't this what the spoiler thread is supposed to be for :(

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Execu-speak posted:

Well after playing this for a bit I gotta say it's not really enjoyable at the moment.

The combination of infinitely respawning enemies, useless squadmate and horrible bugs like ammo not picking up no matter how many times you run over it, is really making me rage.

I can only think of two points in the game that might have endelessly respawing enemies[1]; what point in the game are you describing? (In spoiler tags; don't want to be a loving idiot like Von_Doom :haw: )

[1]
Act I mission spoiler: The 'brute rush' at the end of Priority Tuchanka. But then, you aren't supposed to fight those anyway
End-game mission spoiler: After Caining the Reaper, and beating the Banhsee/minion rush, you get loving insane waves of Cannibals pouring in. Similar to Tuchanka, you aren't really supposed to fight those either.

Edit: Also, Banshees may go down like sacks of potatoes, now I know how the game works, but drat they still give me the heebie-jeebies :cry:

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 1, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Execu-speak posted:

The combination of infinitely respawning enemies

Where?

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

magimix posted:

Act I mission spoiler: The 'brute rush' at the end of Priority Tuchanka. But then, you aren't supposed to fight those anyway

Hmm, I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of enemies there. From what I remember, I killed a few of them (5 or so), and then they stopped.

Two points that do have infinite (or at least very large numbers of enemies):
1. The N7 Mission where you have to get the 2 Reaper artifiacts.
2. The waves of enemies after caining the Hades cannon.

magimix posted:

Edit: Also, Banshees may go down like sacks of potatoes, now I know how the game works, but drat they still give me the heebie-jeebies

Is there any particular trick to them, or just effective use of (combined) powers etc.?

They were basically the only enemies that managed to kill my insanity vanguard, but only because they have a bullshit melee insta-kill attack.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

Insofar as Soldier talk goes I like them but moreso in Me1 and 2. There was something about playing a true tank that amused me. If there was a damage mitigating ability added that would be awesome.I was replaying 1 yet again and found I still enjoy the class. That said I do still enjoy ME1 so take that for what you will. I don't spam AR like most Soldiers I see. More of an emergency button than anything else. I do use the piss out of Concussion Shot. A nice challenge on Insanity that borders on nigh on sodding impossible at times.

The soldier is actually way tougher in 3 than they were in 2, although yeah the ME1 soldier was a ridiculous immovable block of health and definitely the tank-iest of the three. But yeah, evolve Fitness and Adrenaline Rush with their defensive options and you're very tough, with AR giving you a large amount of extra shield strength when used. You can take one of the defensive bonus powers into the bargain (Fortification is good for better punching people, which the soldier is pretty great at already).

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure there's only a handful of enemies there. From what I remember, I killed a few of them (5 or so), and then they stopped.

Interesting to know; in that particualr place, I was unlikely to ever hang around long enough to find out for sure! During my first playthrough I took 3 down before damning it all to hell and just legging it :haw:

dwazegek posted:

Is there any particular trick to them, or just effective use of (combined) powers etc.?

They were basically the only enemies that managed to kill my insanity vanguard, but only because they have a bullshit melee insta-kill attack.

For my Engineer, who is using Kaidan and Liara as the go-to people, I have two Overloads for rapid Barrier-stripping, and then I can use the Warp->Reave combo and Incinerate to hammer their armour. For my Adept run, it was tactically the same deal - strip those Barriers ASAP, then find effective combos that can work against armored foes (since that constrains the set of possible detonation sources).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

For my Engineer, who is using Kaidan and Liara as the go-to people, I have two Overloads for rapid Barrier-stripping, and then I can use the Warp->Reave combo and Incinerate to hammer their armour. For my Adept run, it was tactically the same deal - strip those Barriers ASAP, then find effective combos that can work against armored foes (since that constrains the set of possible detonation sources).

Yeah, I pretty much did the same thing.

For the barriers EDI's overload + charge/nova or Liara's warp + charge/nova.
For the armor warp + charge/nova or Incinerate (which, sadly, can only be detonated on the target's death).
Add in cryo ammo (armor weakening) for my squad and inferno ammo for myself.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

dwazegek posted:

Yeah, I pretty much did the same thing.

For the barriers EDI's overload + charge/nova or Liara's warp + charge/nova.
For the armor warp + charge/nova or Incinerate (which, sadly, can only be detonated on the target's death).
Add in cryo ammo (armor weakening) for my squad and inferno ammo for myself.

My Engineer didn't use Cryo Blast against them (though to be sure, CB is an important part of my toolkit overall). Then again, I do also have Armor Piercing Ammo as bonus, specced for penetration and reduced armor effectiveness. I may not do much shooting, but every little extra helps.

I'm 31.5 hours into my second run (just about to go start the Quarian/Geth stuff. A few more days, and it'll be time to get a third run under way. Your description here, and feedback I've had from others, makes it seem like ME3's Vanguard would be more interesting to me than ME2's Vanguard.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

magimix posted:

My Engineer didn't use Cryo Blast against them (though to be sure, CB is an important part of my toolkit overall).

How are you using Cryo Blast? I played an Engineer and a Sentinel and in both cases I thought CB was a bit underwhelming. I'm trying to find a good reason to use it, but I'm mostly just casting it cuz it looks cool.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Snicker-Snack posted:

How are you using Cryo Blast? I played an Engineer and a Sentinel and in both cases I thought CB was a bit underwhelming. I'm trying to find a good reason to use it, but I'm mostly just casting it cuz it looks cool.

Its way more useful than it was in ME2. In addition to freezing undefended enemies, it slows down defended ones, and can reduce armour effectiveness. Moreover, frozen enemies can be detonated, resulting in an AoE Cryo Explosion (and thus freeze, slow, and weaken any foe in the blast radius). Cryo Explosions are triggered when the detonator *kills* to target; to that end, I specced my Incinerate to do more damage to frozen enemies, to make this easier.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

dwazegek posted:

I dealt with the instant-kill melee by immediately doing a backwards roll after a charge. Even on insanity, you can kill banshees quickly with charge -> backwards roll -> nova -> repeat.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

magimix posted:

Its way more useful than it was in ME2. In addition to freezing undefended enemies, it slows down defended ones, and can reduce armour effectiveness. Moreover, frozen enemies can be detonated, resulting in an AoE Cryo Explosion (and thus freeze, slow, and weaken any foe in the blast radius). Cryo Explosions are triggered when the detonator *kills* to target; to that end, I specced my Incinerate to do more damage to frozen enemies, to make this easier.

I know about all of that, but I still didn't find too much use in it. I just found the AoE CC to be rather unreliable, particularly compared to how amazing neural shock Chain Overload is.

The extra damage on target is cool, but assuming it works like most other + damage bonuses (where they only increase the base damage, not the total damage), then I'm not certain it's worth dealing with the slow, easily dodgeable projectile compared to the fast casting, instant hit, huge AoE range Chain Overload.

I suppose I should try to trigger Cryo Explosions with Incinerate more often, though. I'll check how that goes.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Draile posted:

I dealt with the instant-kill melee by immediately doing a backwards roll after a charge. Even on insanity, you can kill banshees quickly with charge -> backwards roll -> nova -> repeat.

Yeah, I know, but sometimes you can't roll backwards due to obstacles. Or you charge them, roll backwards, but they close the distance and gear up for a melee attack, which you rush into fully on your next charge and are unable to dodge.

Anyway, it's not like I died often to them. It just feels weak when the only time you die is because of insta-kill attacks, especially if you're at full health and barriers when it happens.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

Nap Ghost

Snicker-Snack posted:

I know about all of that, but I still didn't find too much use in it. I just found the AoE CC to be rather unreliable, particularly compared to how amazing neural shock Chain Overload is.

The extra damage on target is cool, but assuming it works like most other + damage bonuses (where they only increase the base damage, not the total damage), then I'm not certain it's worth dealing with the slow, easily dodgeable projectile compared to the fast casting, instant hit, huge AoE range Chain Overload.

I suppose I should try to trigger Cryo Explosions with Incinerate more often, though. I'll check how that goes.

Its worth looking at again, I think, but I wouldn't beat a drum about it. Engineers are such a flexible class, it isn't like you are crippling yourself by not having use of Cryo Blast (assuming you are doing something else instead, which you obviosuly are). Stuff like this is one of rhe reasons I find these games so replayable - experimenting with different builds, and combinations of party member. Sure, you can respec in the game, but I prefer to build for keeps (certainly for the non-bonus talents).

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

magimix posted:

Its worth looking at again, I think, but I wouldn't beat a drum about it. Engineers are such a flexible class, it isn't like you are crippling yourself by not having use of Cryo Blast (assuming you are doing something else instead, which you obviosuly are). Stuff like this is one of rhe reasons I find these games so replayable - experimenting with different builds, and combinations of party member. Sure, you can respec in the game, but I prefer to build for keeps (certainly for the non-bonus talents).

Ahah, yeah.

It's just that I think Cryo Blast looks really cool, and I'm trying to find a really good use for it. It's interesting to note that the two classes that have Cryo Blast also have some of the most versatile combination of non bonus powers.

It's even worse for the Sentinel, who:
-Doesn't have Incinerate to help trigger the Cryo Explosion.
-Has access to Biotic Detonations, which are at least as powerful and easier to trigger.
-Also has +damage debuff in warp (smaller bonus, but lasts longer and warp itself deals a shitton of damage).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

You can set up cryo explosions with cryo ammo as well.

All in all, I'm not too impressed by the cryo and incendiary explosions. Because they only happen on death, they're too situational. And maybe I've had terribly luck with them, but I've never really seen them give any results that really sold me on the concept.

Tech and biotic detonations are incredibly useful though. I really should've used Ashley more on my vanguard run, squad disruptor ammo would've been a source of non-stop tech detonations :v:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Android Blues posted:

The soldier is actually way tougher in 3 than they were in 2, although yeah the ME1 soldier was a ridiculous immovable block of health and definitely the tank-iest of the three. But yeah, evolve Fitness and Adrenaline Rush with their defensive options and you're very tough, with AR giving you a large amount of extra shield strength when used. You can take one of the defensive bonus powers into the bargain (Fortification is good for better punching people, which the soldier is pretty great at already).

I think I enjoyed soldier the most in ME3. Towards the end, with maxed out Adrenaline, I was rolling with nothing but a heavy pistol. The cooldown on AR was pretty much nonexistent because of the weight, and I breezed through the game on hardcore in near-constant slow motion, headshotting things with ridiculous precision.

The only problem was ammo was sometimes scarce with only one gun.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Cryo explosions set up by cryo+incinerate are kind of like biotic explosions that also tag everyone who gets hit by it with warp, setting them up for further explosions.

The only downside is the detonating power has to be a killing blow, which makes it only useful for clearing out waves of unshielded guys and not the things you actually care to detonate.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hannibal Smith posted:

You've got it backwards, the bar is already raised by simply having the options available. When doing a speech check in ME2, the game is dividing your paragon or renegade score against the potential number of points you could have had up to that point, so if you see a red or blue choice and don't take it, you're most likely giving up potential points and making future checks harder.
Wait, really? That's actually a reasonable mechanic, if kind of annoying. Guess I can take my blue choices and not worry about it, then.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

dwazegek posted:

All in all, I'm not too impressed by the cryo and incendiary explosions. Because they only happen on death, they're too situational. And maybe I've had terribly luck with them, but I've never really seen them give any results that really sold me on the concept.

That's basically been my experience, and it's why I usually didn't bother too much with Cryo Explosions. Tech Bursts are nice, though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Geisladisk posted:

I think I enjoyed soldier the most in ME3. Towards the end, with maxed out Adrenaline, I was rolling with nothing but a heavy pistol. The cooldown on AR was pretty much nonexistent because of the weight, and I breezed through the game on hardcore in near-constant slow motion, headshotting things with ridiculous precision.

The only problem was ammo was sometimes scarce with only one gun.

Add a SMG (like the hornet, that thing owns) upgraded to level 5 with the lightweight SMG add-on, and it will have almost no impact on your recharge bar. And it has a reserve of like 400 rounds. I mostly roll with the raptor sniper rifle (mattock with built-in scope? yes please), and I keep the SMG as backup for non-power heavy classes like the soldier.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My vanguard with a scorpion, disciple and tempest (with UL materials) I get a cool down bonus of something like 50%, so I literally can biotic charge, nova, then charge again, nova, repeat.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Hahahaha the Reaper on Rannoch, what a crappy moment of gameplay. Yeah Shepard just stay in an open spot looking confused instead of hiding somewhere to laser target him.

What a crock of bullshit.

Paino fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2012

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Paino posted:

Hahahaha the Reaper on Rannoch, what a crappy moment of gameplay. Yeah Shepard just stay in an open spot looking confused instead of hiding somewhere to laser target him.

What a crock of bullshit.

You're really going out of your way to complain about the game.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Nice spoilertags, bro. Also, yeah, it was a bit weak but it was better then just a cinematic imo.

• Locked thread