Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I've no time to do the check/adjustment myself (student-teaching internship), and I already tried on my old Ninja 250 and failed miserably. I'm a terrible, impatient mechanic. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012
Ah the SV. I owned a Copper Red 03 SV650s for about 3 years till I found a 08 Triumph Sprint ST at an Auction for cheap.

It had a Scorpion Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Plate mod, and a few other things done to it over the years. The main problem I had was with the electrical wiring that I had to eventually completely replace the connector for the main wiring harness, but outside of that I got the bike for $2K and sold it for $3250 after putting on around 20K miles over the time I had it. Loved the bike, loved the sound, the look, the power, everything except for the nosedive from the stock front suspension. Right before I sold it I did get a new set of fork springs and a rear shock but never got around to installing them before the ST showed up.

Someday I may want to pick one up again, but more than likely I will be nabbing a Triumph Street Tripple R within the near future.

Pics to come, the ol SV was a pretty good looking bike in that color.

*Edit* Pic.. + Stang...

Brings back memories...

BobSpelledBackward fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

BobSpelledBackward posted:

Loved the bike, loved the sound, the look, the power, everything except for the nosedive from the stock front suspension.

20wt fork oil instead of the stock 15wt will usually fix it for cheap.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Anyone do long trips on their SV and have a suggestion for a replacement seat? I'm pretty much limited to Corbin or Sargent, right?

I spent an hour and a half on the SV the other day and god drat did my butt cheeks hurt.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone do long trips on their SV and have a suggestion for a replacement seat? I'm pretty much limited to Corbin or Sargent, right?

I spent an hour and a half on the SV the other day and god drat did my butt cheeks hurt.

I have the Corbin seat. 8 hour days aren't great but they aren't horrible. 3-4 hour rides are no problem. Does take a while for your rear end to break in to the seat...seat is pretty hard.

BobSpelledBackward
Mar 26, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Must have had a iron bottom since I had multiple 8+hr days on my SV with the stock seat.

The only thing I heard about the Seargent/Corbon seat, is it varies by butt. While I heard a lot of positives for both, there were the few that got one and instead switched to the other, so keep that in mind.

One thing I heard plenty though was to stay away from the Gel Seat.

Also in reply to Sir, ya I did hear about that fork oil fix which I was going to pair with the springs before the whole deal ended and I sold her.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I have the Suzuki Gel Seat for one of my 1st gen's. I commute a total of 2 hours every weekend, and it's great. The bike does have a sit-up-straight setup.

My new 1st gen came with the stocker and it was certainly different - more foam up front. The bike has lower bars and higher rear sets, which meant I leaned more forward, and the seat seemed "okay" during my 3.5 hour ride back home. I found myself having to stop every now and then to let my rear end rest.

The Suzuki Gel Seat is particularly good if you have a marvelously wide rear end (like my girlfriend)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I come seeking wisdom from the SV masters.

I'm talking to a guy about buying his SV that he says needs a headgasket.

Are SV's known for blowing headgaskets, or is this more likely a result of some PO messing around with something they shouldnt?

Also, other than carbs and frame design, are there any huge differences between the first and second gen SV's?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I come seeking wisdom from the SV masters.

I'm talking to a guy about buying his SV that he says needs a headgasket.

Are SV's known for blowing headgaskets, or is this more likely a result of some PO messing around with something they shouldnt?

Also, other than carbs and frame design, are there any huge differences between the first and second gen SV's?

Blown headgaskets are incredibly rare. My bet would be running it without coolant, or some sort of botched headwork.

Gen 2 is a totally different bike although externally the engines are the same.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hmmm, so I'm guessing this is not any known sv issue

quote:

After getting the bike I drained all fluids before trying to start it, then it would only turn over. It sat for four to five years so I knew the carbs were going to be varnished so I took them off and cleaned them, took the radiator hoses off and flushed the system on both ends. Put in a new battery squirted some oil in the plugs and cranked it over a few times, let it sit with the new oil for a while before actually starting it to let it run.

It started right up after that. I let it run up to temp and noticed the hoses weren't getting hot so figured seized thermostat. Took it out and ran just water, it was fine. I rode it around for just a few blocks a few times and changed the oil again. Then I rode it and got on it a bit more, next day I noticed milky oil in the window. Drained the oil again and yes it was water in the oil. I didn't bother with it after that, figured it was a head gasket. It's not a bad fix just time intensive and I don't have the space or time to do it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Hmmm, so I'm guessing this is not any known sv issue

Nope. But depending on how bike savvy he is he could be misinterpreting condensation buildup for water in the sight glass. What's he asking?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Nope. But depending on how bike savvy he is he could be misinterpreting condensation buildup for water in the sight glass. What's he asking?

1600, but on talking to him I could probably get him down some on it. It's a first-gen, by the way.

He does specify milky oil after draining it in that quote, so I think it's more than condensation on the sight glass

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Olde Weird Tip posted:

1600, but on talking to him I could probably get him down some on it. It's a first-gen, by the way.

He does specify milky oil after draining it in that quote, so I think it's more than condensation on the sight glass

Would have to be a lot cheaper than 1600. You can pick up a clean running first get with no issues for that price.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meh, I'll see if I can get him below a grand, otherwise, I'll pass, I really dont want to deal with rusted crank or trans bearings from sitting with watery oil

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Olde Weird Tip posted:

So he's asking blue book for an sv650 with a blown engine? Offer $500 and walk.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Upon deep internal reflection, I really dont want to tear apart an SV650 anyway, so I'll just pass.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Today I called a local shop and made an appointment for mid-April for valve check/adjustment and TB/carb sync. It's now at 32,500 miles so definitely due. I don't like the sensation of riding a bike with valves possibly out of spec, so it'll be torture not riding the thing until after the shop appointment.

It has a headlight from some BMW dirtbike. The P.O.'s got a little shed packed FULL of Moto Guzzi, Ducati, and BMW tourers and dirt bikes. I was totally loving drooling. He told me that his dad (a technician) fired up now-mine SV and listened to it, and said that the valves sounded fine. I'm getting them checked anyway.

The bike is a 2001 SV650S, converted over to N.
It's got:
Continental RoadAttack tires, new as of summer.
Dual Renegade full exhaust.
150 main jets, 17.5 pilot jets, de-snorkeled, 2.5 turns on the A/F screws.
OSF Rearsets.
R6 Throttle Tube.
Upgraded fork springs and fork oil - Racetech .80kg springs, 15W oil.
Ninja 636 rear shock w/ stock SV spring.
Carbs cleaned last year, valves last checked @ 15k
Seals, wipers, springs, coolant, fluids - replaced last summer.
NGK Iridium spark plugs put in 3-4 years ago.
JT sprockets & regina gold x chain, 5k on them now.
Brake fluid replaced every summer.
SS brake lines front/rear.
Oil for bike is always Rotella T, every 3-4k.

It runs & shifts even smoother than my 2000 SV650. So far I'm discerning that the P.O. took pretty good care of the bike from when he bought it at 4k miles old in 2007.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 12, 2012

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
Hey guys, any thoughts on this ad?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2907056377.html

Also, pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to remove the fairings on an SV650S and have it look like the 650? I prefer the naked look a bit more and was wondering how easy it is to convert the bike to this feel.

The Saboteur fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 28, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The Saboteur posted:

Also, pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to remove the fairings on an SV650S and have it look like the 650? I prefer the naked look a bit more and was wondering how easy it is to convert the bike to this feel.

There's lots of wire tucking, handlebar modifying, bracket building and other stuff to be done. It's no easy task from what I hear.

As for price, seems a little high to me.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

The Saboteur posted:

It's enough of a pain in the rear end that I'm just going to buy all new fairings for mine instead of strip it down. so there you go.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Today I called a local shop and made an appointment for mid-April for valve check/adjustment and TB/carb sync. It's now at 32,500 miles so definitely due. I don't like the sensation of riding a bike with valves possibly out of spec, so it'll be torture not riding the thing until after the shop appointment.

Not saying it's a great idea but you're pry fine riding it before the valve check. Mine are way overdue and it hasn't blown up or anything. If it is hard to start or runs rough then they may be out of spec but otherwise you might be ok.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yeah, you're probably right. But seeing how I'm eating up miles on the other SV (riding back home and back to my internship every weekend, 1-1.5 hour each way, and riding for up to a few hours everyday urban-exploring Buffalo), I'm gonna just let the gf ride the new SV locally.

Just how overdue are you?

Yesterday I adjusted the clutch at the engine for the first time in my 3 years of motorcycling, cuz my SV had an issue of kinda clunky shifting, difficulty shifting into neutral easily, and the clutch handle freeplay was too big. Now I can easily shift into neutral at stops, and the bike's fun quotient increased a bit, with mini wheelies inadvertently coming upon me. Whee! Next plan of action: switch the bike to synthetic oil.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 29, 2012

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

the walkin dude posted:

Just how overdue are you?

They were done at 12k, I'm a bit over 56k.

Once I'm moved into the new house and can commute on the 125 it is one of the first projects on the list.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 29, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Have you at least checked them since then? I'm curious if they're even outside spec - I keep hearing about people checking their clearances after a long time and finding they haven't moved much at all.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

JP Money posted:

Have you at least checked them since then? I'm curious if they're even outside spec - I keep hearing about people checking their clearances after a long time and finding they haven't moved much at all.

Nope haven't looked at or adjusted them. Actually interested to see how they look after ~40k miles when I finally have the time to check them.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm curious too. I did a ton of research on SVRider, and there are more than a few cases where SV engines' valves don't get tight despite high miles.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

The Saboteur posted:

I did a similar thing on my 02 Bandit as a winter project. It's not THAT hard as parts should be pretty easy to come by (was somewhat harder for me as some parts for me were rare as gently caress) and as long as you stick to OEM stuff, it should be all plug and play with maybe a bit of harness splicing and relay adding since your going from dual lights to a single light.

Make sure you can get everything you need before starting.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have 50k+ miles on my SV( ran it with no Odo for a long time) and I don't know if the valves were ever done.
Going to get them done soon though as its a pig to hot start sometimes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So I'm kicking around the idea of getting an SV650. I have been thinking about trading in my Bandit for a supermoto and spending a bit of cash on a good highway bike, which a supermoto is not.

Whats a good going rate for a first-gen SV650? My local CL has them anywhere from $1500 to almost $4K, which in my mind is insane for a first-gen.

I understand that the first and second gen bikes were almost completely different? Other than FI, is one appreciably better than the other?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Other than the FI there is no real difference. 2003 is the worst year to get because it was a one-off year so parts availability is not as good. The frames obviously look different and the gauge clusters are slightly different between 1st and 2nd gen. For all intents and purposes they make very similar power and the suspension/brakes/chassis are the same. The 1st gen naked pegs have a slightly more relaxed position than the 1st gen SVS and 2nd gen SV variants which all share the same peg position.

Going rate for a decent 1st gen is probably 2k or a hair below. I got mine for $1700 from a friend in good condition with about 10k miles.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Picked up a cheap SV650N top yoke (euro ebay protip, search for the names of parts you want in German, English speakers want crazy money for these things)

here it is with my old bandit 250 bars in it, sitting on the messy desk of projects to finish once college pressure eases off a bit

Olde Weird Tip posted:

So I'm kicking around the idea of getting an SV650. I have been thinking about trading in my Bandit for a supermoto and spending a bit of cash on a good highway bike, which a supermoto is not.

Whats a good going rate for a first-gen SV650? My local CL has them anywhere from $1500 to almost $4K, which in my mind is insane for a first-gen.

I understand that the first and second gen bikes were almost completely different? Other than FI, is one appreciably better than the other?

First gens are slightly more powerful I think, also its cheaper to rejet than to buy a PCIII.
Fully faired pointys are better looking I think. Naked I prefer the curvey.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 30, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

For all intents and purposes they make very similar power and the suspension/brakes/chassis are the same.

Unless your intent is part swaps, then you're kinda SOL going from G1 parts to G2. Also, I personally really don't like the changes to the ergos of the bike between g1 and g2, but I've stacked up a lot of time on gen 1s so I'm really used to them.

You shouldn't be paying more than 2k for a very nice G1. I bought mine with most of the mods in the book for 1500.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Check out the Bikes For Sale section on svrider.com, you're bound to find a bike that's been taken care of and has the mods that you want.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.
Hey SV gurus, sorry filling the thread up with potential bikes but I'm pretty stoked on this bike (thanks for setting me down the path Z3n). Let me know if I'm getting annoying.

Someone is selling a '99 650N and gave me the following details:

it has 40k miles and is 1st gen (carbd). Relatively new tires and front fork, always fluid changed, air filter/oil filter changed, new chain and sprockets, new clutch, gorgeous tachometer, new fuel lines, carbs just cleaned, engine runs like new. Minor cosmetic scrape on headlight but otherwise cosmetically and functionally this champion of a motorcyle is in like new condition.

He's asking quite a bit ($3300) with the following included:

A nice dowco weatherall cover, disc break lock, cover lock, bungies,

I don't really care about the extras so much although they'd be nice to have, but what do you think is a fair offer for this bike and all included - $2k tops?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
$2k, give or take a few hundred, depending on what you think it's worth personally. That asking price is wayyyyyy too much.

My new SV (posted above), I negotiated with the seller down to $2,100 - which I felt was fair and went with, considering how well he's maintained the bike, and the dual full exhaust was certainly pricey to start with.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 30, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What should a decent 2nd gen N go for?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Saboteur posted:

I don't really care about the extras so much although they'd be nice to have, but what do you think is a fair offer for this bike and all included - $2k tops?

2k tops sounds about right but I wonder about all the new front end stuff on that bike..."new tires and front fork, new clutch, gorgeous tachometer, cosmetic scrape on headlight" Did the bike rear end something?

Maybe it's new fork fluid or internals or a swap, in that case ignore me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

What should a decent 2nd gen N go for?
$2000-3500 depending on year and such. Maybe as high as $4500 for a low-miles last year SF.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Can someone crack open their throttle cable housing and show me how the cables are hooked into the throttle tube? My whole assembly was ground off so I didn't really have a "before" to look at, and I can't find it anywhere on the internet :(

e:got it figured out.

invision fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm looking at an SV as my first not-dualsport bike, and this thread has been awesome, thank you.

What do you guys think of this '99N?

I don't mind it being a bit roughed up, but is his price fair for a bike with unknown miles?

• Locked thread