Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I just got a message this morning saying the transaction failed because I forgot that in the interim I had my card info compromised and had it re-issued. :( Looks like it'll ship tomorrow now that I fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cover art for The Samurai Trilogy. Love it and may get it even though I think I have too many samurai movies already.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
That's the best cover art they've had in months. I will, wallet willing, buy that upon release.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The release date seems like it would probably come out the Tuesday after the usual 50%-off sale at B&N ends.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Holy poo poo, wine + depression + Ikiru do not mix well.

Great movie though. Might be my favorite Kurosawa, besides maybe Ran.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Pfirti86 posted:

Holy poo poo, wine + depression + Ikiru do not mix well.

Great movie though. Might be my favorite Kurosawa, besides maybe Ran.

Just build a playground and you'll be fine.

I agree with you though, a great film. I wrote my thesis on it in college.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT:

gently caress yeah - http://www.criterion.com/films/28373-kindergarten-cop

Edit: The gory details

Criterion posted:

CONTINUITY-ASSISTANT-APPROVED THREE-DISC SPECIAL EDITION:

* New high-definition digital restoration of the 1990 director’s cut, presented in 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
* New audio commentary featuring Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, author of It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Can Teach Us
* Excerpts from the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps: “Ivan Reitman”
* Kindergarten Cops Today, a new hour-long documentary featuring former New York City police detectives Frank Serpico and Robert Leuci, former San Francisco police inspector Dave Toschi, and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg
* From “Fingers” to Finger-Painting, an interview with cinematographer Michael Chapman
* Archival video of Schwarzenegger’s acceptance speeches for the Favorite Movie Actor award at the 1989 and 1991 Kids’ Choice Awards
* The Kids Aren’t All Right, an analysis of all the cuts made to ensure a PG-13 rating
* More than six hundred minutes of rare behind-the-scenes and archival footage
* Seven theatrical trailers
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by former police reporter and creator of The Wire David Simon and a reprint of James Agee’s original review of the film

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

"SYNOPSIS: Historically, the policier and the family comedy were two distinct categories. Then, in 1990, Kindergarten Cop gave us all a lesson in genre revisionism. With muscular sensitivity, Hollywood’s last action hero Arnold Schwarzenegger embodies detective John Kimble, who is compelled to go undercover as a teacher of five-year-olds in order to catch a ponytailed drug dealer. Though it’s distinguished by pulse-pounding suspense, a Crayola-bright palette by cinematographer Michael Chapman (Taxi Driver), and trenchant observations about education in the Bush I era, the film’s emotional center is Schwarzenegger’s gruff yet good-tempered interaction with a class full of precocious scamps, including a tumor-forewarning death-obsessive and a genitalia expert. By leavening a children’s film with enough violence to please even the most cold-hearted bastard, director Ivan Reitman shows that he refuses to color inside the lines."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

There is a God.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Out of print. It wasn't meant to be. :(

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Safe Driver posted:

Well, I added it to My Wishlist anyway.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I would totally buy that.

Also, I had a laugh since an April Fool's joke has a better cover than a lot of real Criterions. :hurr:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Safe Driver posted:

SHUUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
That cover art rules.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Criterion now releasing exclusive image of Kurosawa visiting the set:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It gets even better.

Three Reasons: Kindergarten Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I would buy this if it came out.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Exactly... does Criterion understand how many people would buy an ironic Criterion release?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Not even necessarily ironic. I'm sure there's a lot of "lovely" movies that people would just appreciate a nicer release of with lots of nice extras. Also that cover is boss.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Give it a $10 cheaper MSRP and this would be one of their all time best sellers.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cacator posted:

Exactly... does Criterion understand how many people would buy an ironic Criterion release?

You mean Tiny Furniture? :downs:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Its not like Kindergarten Cop is worse than Armageddon.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Philip Kaufman in the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMFHvBEvKI

Did they get Unbearable Lightness of Being back? Or The Right Stuff? Henry and June? Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? If there is one thing Criterion likes (besides samurais) it's low budget horror/thrillers. I can't see any of his newer films getting released.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

robix smash posted:

Philip Kaufman in the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMFHvBEvKI

Did they get Unbearable Lightness of Being back? Or The Right Stuff? Henry and June? Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? If there is one thing Criterion likes (besides samurais) it's low budget horror/thrillers. I can't see any of his newer films getting released.

I hope they were able to license The Unbearable Lightness Of Being back from Warner. They've been sitting on it for so long and I need a Blu-Ray :(

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
MoMA's running a thing about him now, that might be the reason: http://www.moma.org/visit/calendar/films/1263

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sporadic posted:

I hope they were able to license The Unbearable Lightness Of Being back from Warner. They've been sitting on it for so long and I need a Blu-Ray :(

Actually, some at CriterionForum seem to think Criterion finally got Badlands from Warner.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, some at CriterionForum seem to think Criterion finally got Badlands from Warner.
That would make me extremely happy if true, and make my Malick collection complete. Maybe they can let Criterion put out a Bluray for Spartacus while they are at it.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Oops, you're right. Warner just released it as part of the Kubrick collection so that's where my brain messed up.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 13, 2012

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

kuddles posted:

That would make me extremely happy if true, and make my Malick collection complete. Maybe they can let Criterion put out a Bluray for Spartacus while they are at it.
Spartacus is owned by Universal, I believe, so it's only a matter of time before Criterion upgrades their version to bluray.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The only problem with a Criterion Spartacus is that it needs an expensive new transfer. At least 4K from the 65mm preservation elements. Then again, they could probably justify the cost considering almost all of their Universal releases use older transfers (minus DVNR). They're also the only R1 studio to show interest in Napoleon, which is going to cost a fortune to produce.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

While we're on the topic of ironic Criterions,

Kindergarden Cop would be a day one buy for me but I'd love...

Goodburger

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
Jesus Christ, watching Grey Gardens makes me want to scrub my apartment with a toothbrush. And it's not even that messy.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing

Egbert Souse posted:

The only problem with a Criterion Spartacus is that it needs an expensive new transfer. At least 4K from the 65mm preservation elements. Then again, they could probably justify the cost considering almost all of their Universal releases use older transfers (minus DVNR). They're also the only R1 studio to show interest in Napoleon, which is going to cost a fortune to produce.
Uni could trot it out for a re-release to offset some of the cost before the bluray release. An awful lot of people would go out to see that, especially projected in 70mm. The Godfather re-release did pretty well, so did the one day only Casablanca release. Kind of annoyed Paramount didn't re-release Jaws after spending all that money to clean it up.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Sony's doing a theatrical release of the 4k restoration of Lawrence of Arabia soon (their head restoration guy whose name I can't remember said this summer?), I saw a preview of it when I went to see their Dr Strangelove treatment. It seems like this is going to be happening more (or maybe I am just hoping?) so they may very well do that.

Spartacus doing a limited run in the theater would make bank.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
drat, I love this company.

They release films that no one else will touch.
The use the correct aspect ratios, running times, and avoid any forms of grain reduction.
High bitrate transfers using top-of-the-line equipment.
Professional commentaries, spiffy menus & boxart, and Titanic-loads of special features!

My local video rental store has a HUGE chunk of the Criterion Collection on hand - I can get six for a week for just $10! :D :D :D

Some titles that I've seen:

Downhill Racer
The 400 Blows
Black Narcissus
Bicycle Thieves
I Vitelloni
The Naked Prey
Spartacus
Great Expectations
Branded To Kill
Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau)
I Know Where I'm Going
The Leopard
A whole bunch of Kurosawa

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
...yet they still refuse to provide closed-captions for English-speaking characters in predominantly foreign-language films.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
And they won't add a border to their subtitle font so the text is readable when over very white areas of the screen.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
That's really killer during the scenes in High And Low where everyone's milling around the house in blown-out white shirts.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's really killer during the scenes in High And Low where everyone's milling around the house in blown-out white shirts.

I feel your pain. :|

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

kaujot posted:

And they won't add a border to their subtitle font so the text is readable when over very white areas of the screen.

Yeah, I don't get that. For a company that's so careful about film restoration and innovative in terms of DVD extra features, commentary, letterboxing, etc, you'd think at least one person there would have noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've actually been told that a black border around subtitles makes it way harder for those with learning disabilities like dyslexia to read text. Still, I don't see what's so hard about providing a myriad of options for subtitles.