Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, I don't DISLIKE all the cut-aways and 4th-wall breaking jokes in Ultimate Spider-Man, but there does seem to be an awful lot of them. It's like they were trying to make as many as possible with the logic that a few of them had to be funny (and to be fair, a few of them were)

But there's just so many... hopefully this will settle down in future episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

For me, it's always because Spidey is not as militant as other heroes. Joining a team is a sign that you're REALLY committed to vigilantism, whereas Spidey sees his superheroing as a hobby.

ASM #1: Spider-Man tries to join the Fantastic Four.

ASM Annual #1: Spider-Man accepts an invitation to join the Avengers, but is put to a test. He must capture and bring in the Hulk to become a member.

While I see what you mean, that Spider-Man has a non-powered family and set of friends whereas most of the Avenngers and FF have very few non-powered friends and family, Spider-Man has always wanted to be a part of a team AND wanted to be accepted. Both by the superhero community and the general populace.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Green Lantern had a wilhelm scream. Show's now on my good side.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I hope the entire second season of Avengers is full of the Hulk arbitrarily flinging himself at Ben Grimm.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm generally enjoying the Green Lantern cartoon, though I'm a bit sad that they aren't going as nuts with constructs as they could. There is so much scope and diversity in the comic books that it's disappointing to see Kilowog go fisticuffs.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Well, it's CGI. With 2D animation, you could just draw in, for instance, a massive surfboard that shoots meteors. With CGI, they have to model that entire thing in 3D.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Well, it's CGI. With 2D animation, you could just draw in, for instance, a massive surfboard that shoots meteors. With CGI, they have to model that entire thing in 3D.

I'm pretty sure a construct would be no more difficult to do then any of the other characters and objects that appear in the show. In fact, they may be a little easier, since they have no texture, being made of green glass.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, I don't DISLIKE all the cut-aways and 4th-wall breaking jokes in Ultimate Spider-Man, but there does seem to be an awful lot of them. It's like they were trying to make as many as possible with the logic that a few of them had to be funny (and to be fair, a few of them were)

But there's just so many... hopefully this will settle down in future episodes.

A lot of the cut aways were for setting up and introducing things into the series. That said I loved them. The show has a great sense of humor. Very much looking forward to future episodes. Also the animation is fantastic.

Spanish Spidey was my favorite joke.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 1, 2012

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's GL was kind of hardcore because it involved a guy murdering a Green Lantern specifically to get his ring.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Deadpool posted:

A lot of the cut aways were for setting up and introducing things into the series. That said I loved them. The show has a great sense of humor. Very much looking forward to future episodes. Also the animation is fantastic.

Spanish Spidey was my favorite joke.

It's...weird. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I stuck with Young Justice and it had a much rockier start (if you ask me), so what the hell, I'll stick with it.

But if it ever changes days and conflicts with, say, Korra? I ain't stickin' around.

I DO like the reasoning behind the team-up (Spidey understanding it's more than just punching bad guys, the team being actually trained).

Mr. Maltose posted:

I hope the entire second season of Avengers is full of the Hulk arbitrarily flinging himself at Ben Grimm.

We can only hope we're so lucky :allears:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
If anyone missed Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's got the first two episodes up here: http://marvelkids.marvel.com/shows/161/ultimate_spider-man

These two episodes are really laying the groundwork for the series so it's hard to judge too much from them, but it seems like there's potential here. I like a lot of the humor and tone, so that's a plus.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Zeeman posted:

If anyone missed Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's got the first two episodes up here: http://marvelkids.marvel.com/shows/161/ultimate_spider-man

These two episodes are really laying the groundwork for the series so it's hard to judge too much from them, but it seems like there's potential here. I like a lot of the humor and tone, so that's a plus.

Is there anything that indicates one way or the other whether this fits in with Avengers/Wolverine and the X-Men? From little bits I've looked at it looks like Ultimate Spider-man could possibly be a prequel, but at the very least they don't seem to be going on at the same time.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
I also don't really know how to feel. I thought the two episodes were pretty entertaining by and large, but I really hope it tries to be a little more serious in the future, otherwise it will probably get old fast. Spider-man might be funny, but he's not a joke :colbert:

But of course it is only the premiere, so it's hard to judge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zeeman posted:

Thanks for this - not sure when I would have been able to see it otherwise.

So far I like pretty much everything - the voice actors, the quality and design of the animation, the Ultimate elements, the fight choreography and the general Spider-ness of it.

The humour isn't totally my thing, but it is for a younger crowd and I don't actually find it bad, just not something I'm used to with Spider-Man. Even after the second episode though I was pretty used to it.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

XboxPants posted:

Is there anything that indicates one way or the other whether this fits in with Avengers/Wolverine and the X-Men? From little bits I've looked at it looks like Ultimate Spider-man could possibly be a prequel, but at the very least they don't seem to be going on at the same time.

It is 100% separate, they aren't doing a connected universe.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Just watched the first two. Possible minor spoiler alert!

Mostly it's all pretty good, as others are saying. Couple bits that irritate me, but I guess most adult spider-man fans would find a few things like that, heh. Like making Harry a Handsome Coolguy. Or that they decided to actually let spidey build his own webshooters & create the fluid, but then just make SHIELD give him new better ones anyway. That kind of... takes away from the whole point of it. And "hip with the new kids" Aunt May was kinda insufferable. Not to mention the Spider-Bike. Even Spider-man thought it was retarded. Gotta sell those toys!!

On the other hand, the Kurt Connors fake-out was pretty sweet. The changes to his character, while drastic, somehow didn't bother me. I guess it was because since everything was so different, it felt more like "a new character that's inspired by Kurt Connors and happens to share his name", rather than a poorly made, bastardized version. The changes make sense in the show's context.

The team aspect seems like it could work, too. Kind of can't stand Rand, but it's an interesting assortment of people to choose, so I'm into it just for the novelty of doing a Heroes for Hire theme. Plus Kid Nova for some reason. Which you'd think wouldn't work, but apparently he thinks he's in charge of everything, so at least that makes sense.

Humor seems fine. Some bits were funnier than others to me, but in the end it's just for a younger demographic. I think it's a good thing that there's a well made Marvel show that skews a bit younger. (not that Avengers is adults-only or anything)

And after seeing these episodes, it's pretty clear they're making no effort to integrate this into the already-existing huge universe they have. For whatever reason. Seems rather short-sighted. Ah well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
My only problem with the humor is that the show refuses to not spell out the joke. I get that this is supposed to be for a younger audience, but give kids a little credit, they're not stupid. Peter doesn't need to freeze time like Zack Morris every time there's a gag to point out that a gag just happened YOU LAUGH NOW. There are a few other things that bugged me, like the big title-card style introductions to everyone. It's another one of those things that just felt unnecessary, hammering the point home like kids won't remember who Nova is unless they slap his name up on-screen. It really seems unnecessary, when you compare it to Spectacular Spider-Man, where they do the same kind of thing... but in 30 seconds of the theme song. I haven't totally written off the show, but it definitely hasn't won me over like Avengers did in the first couple of episodes.

Also, I know it's accurate to the comics, but Ultimate Peter Parker's birdhair will never not look ridiculous to me.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente
Just finished watching the Marvel block.

Ultimate Spider-man didn't wow me, but that's it's not good. But what really struck me is that I don't remember laughing once at any of Ultimate Spider-man's jokes, while the Avengers immediately had me smiling and chuckling. Maybe that reflects more on me and my sense of humor though.

Still I'm sold on Ultimate Spider-man to watch young Luke Cage and Spidey pal around.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the entire bike sequence was hilarious. And also Iron Fist was awesome against the Frightful Four. Whatever that was he said before he punched Klaw was great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the group they're putting with Spidey. It's different, but Iron Fist is awesome and kid Luke Cage seems like a great fit to help Peter not get bullied. And if they decide to go a different route and make White Tiger a love interest that would be a pretty welcome change for the Spidey mythos. I dunno why they changed Nova's name and personality, so that was weird.

It looks like it'll be a fun show on its own. It really does come across like they're trying really different things on this show than retelling Spidey stories with the same characters in roughly the same roles as before.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
What's a guy (without Disney XD) gotta do to see some Avengers? It's not on Netflix or iTunes. And via some miracle, it doesn't look like the thing's leaked on to any more dubious sites.

I just wanna see some Doom...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Last year it went up on iTunes the day after air. I have to believe it'll do the same again this year. Probably same with USM.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Codependent Poster posted:

I dunno why they changed Nova's name and personality, so that was weird.

Not the same Nova.

Which begs the question, is Richard Ryder older than Peter Parker in this universe? :monocle:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They probably wanted to avoid any Dick Rider jokes, and the comics is probably using the same character because they think Nova works better as a younger character instead of Dick Rider the Super Nova Prime.

EDIT: You guys almost had me worried. Ultimate Spider-Man was tons of fun! A lot of great characters, and plenty of humor. Kids are going to love this show to pieces. Bravo, Marvel! Thwip thwip!

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 2, 2012

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So was I the only one that really loved the dubbed over old Marvel cartoons in between shows? The Spider-Man one after Avengers had a hilarious Dr. Doom.

nofaves
Mar 26, 2005

Kublai Khan is my homeboy.

KungFu Grip posted:

So was I the only one that really loved the dubbed over old Marvel cartoons in between shows? The Spider-Man one after Avengers had a hilarious Dr. Doom.

I lost it at "HAPPY FLYING CAR PARTS DAY", so you're not alone :lol:

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Excellent latest episode of the Avengers.

But seeing " Sue Richards " in the latest Avengers really bought home how utterly useless Wasp is. In any realistic scenario she'd be a danger to the team in any given battle.

The one thing the series is lacking is a strong female character like Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman or Vixen.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

It looks like it'll be a fun show on its own. It really does come across like they're trying really different things on this show than retelling Spidey stories with the same characters in roughly the same roles as before.

The Kurt Conners fake-out made me laugh, as did the reveal of Coulson as Principal. The show didn't grab me like I hoped, but it's looking wonderfully promising.

spikenigma posted:

The one thing the series is lacking is a strong female character like Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman or Vixen.

I'm hoping Ms. Marvel joins the team permanently and solves that problem. It's disappointing to me though, Wasp is really enthusiastic but she's sort of stuck being the Wasp.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Fishylungs posted:

I'm hoping Ms. Marvel joins the team permanently and solves that problem. It's disappointing to me though, Wasp is really enthusiastic but she's sort of stuck being the Wasp.

I read a thing somewhere a few weeks ago that said she would be a full-time Avenger this season

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man was that Doom fight a helluva way to kick off the new season.

Also, can we just have a spinoff show of Hulk and Ben Grimm?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Are these online anywhere?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Forbush Man reference by the Stan Lee janitor in the first episode of USM made me chuckle. It was ok, the jokes didn't annoy me so much but his kinda haughty attitude to the rest of the heroes did. Kinda wish they had gone with a 16/17 year old Peter and then the rest of the heroes being their actual ages and he just teams up with them like Brave and the Bold but I guess it's not fair to judge it on what it's not. Just feel like I've seen the "group of heroes lead a double life between school and heroics" thing so many times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thebardyspoon posted:

Forbush Man reference by the Stan Lee janitor in the first episode of USM made me chuckle. It was ok, the jokes didn't annoy me so much but his kinda haughty attitude to the rest of the heroes did. Kinda wish they had gone with a 16/17 year old Peter and then the rest of the heroes being their actual ages and he just teams up with them like Brave and the Bold but I guess it's not fair to judge it on what it's not. Just feel like I've seen the "group of heroes lead a double life between school and heroics" thing so many times.

I think there's a lot of potential in having the other heroes know him and go to the same school because Peter doesn't usually have his lives collide like that. It's one thing to get stuffed in a locker and then go meet up with Cap or Daredevil who know nothing about it, but for Peter to be outed as... well, Peter, to his allies is a great opportunity for the rest of the series. Not just knowing his name but all the ins and outs of early-life Spider-Man.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah you're right, I guess it's only 4 heroes who have been youthed up. Guys like Dr Strange, Punisher, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and Shang Chi can still be a bit more experienced and have their traditional snappy dialogue and annoyance at his jokes.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I was not really impressed by the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. There was really nothing I really thought worked for me. The animation while nicely done especially in the fight scenes was incredibly bland, flat and generic stylewise. Coming off of Spectacular Spider-Man which had a incredible style to it and being next to Avengers which while simple looking has a unique recognizable style to it. If you put a still of the show up to anyone they could not pick out which show it is from and that is a problem. If you are going to make a non-stylized animated show you better make it as good looking as possible ala Young Justice and if you compare the two USM looks even worse.

The premise has me even more suspect. When I first heard that they were making a USM cartoon I thought it was a great idea as most of the USM especially the early stuff would lend to a cartoon fantastically. It could have been to the current generation that the Fox 90s show was mine. Instead of taking that idea and running with it, we are effectively getting Spider-Man and his Amazing Heroes for Hire Kids! Not saying a Spider-Man Team Up show couldn't work but this just isn't the way to do it. My gut feeling from the limited amount of time we have seen the team is we are going to cringe at every moment they are on screen and the "drama" that they have already setup. I could very well be wrong and I hope I am since they have some of my favorite characters on this team but my gut is telling me otherwise.

Onward to them shoehorning in the name to the show every five seconds. Why on earth would Spider-Man ever say he wants to be the "Ultimate Spider-Man"? Also why would he ever take tech from anyone else? In the comics he has always been very shy from doing it and when he has it has gone badly. I guess they have to tell those toys somehow.

Now my issues with the voice acting, which for 90% of the characters didn't seem to fit at all. Drake Bell in particular sounded completely wrong for the character on screen. Chi McBride on paper I thought would be a amazing Nick Fury, but on the show is worse than Alex Désert on the Avengers. The voice acting just sucked me out of the show as even if it did fit the acting didn't see to fit the scene and mood on the show.

Perhaps we can chalk some of this up to being the pilot and it will get better. Avengers had a pretty rocky start as well but evened keel after awhile. Wolverine and the X-Men was god awful when I first saw it and eventually became a decent show. So I have hope it will get better and I am going to stick with it for a little while in hoping it does. And if it doesn't we can blame Jeph Loeb.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'm kinda split on Ultimate Spidey. On the one hand, the moments where he actually pauses the action and speaks directly to the camera are kinda nice (like his little revenge on Flash in the first episode), as are the flashbacks to fill in backstory. But the rest of the gags (see: Spidey in Spanish Class) almost feel like they should be prefaced with a "HEY LOIS!".

But on the other hand, Luke deciding to rename himself Power Man as a kneejerk macho reaction is great, and hopefully the team dynamic ends up as fun as I hope it will. So yeah, probably gonna try to stick with it for a few more episodes.

Avengers, meanwhile, is as awesome as ever with the notable exception of the edited intro. Goddammit Disney, didn't the fan reaction show you that people prefer the actual song to the Fury narration?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's not like Power Man and Iron Fist were bastions of maturity anyways. Nova started as a teen hero, and nobody cares about White Tiger.

Does anyone have any kids that they watched the show with? I'd really like to know what the target audience thinks, because only seeing adults analyze a kids show is always kinda weird.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Avengers, meanwhile, is as awesome as ever with the notable exception of the edited intro. Goddammit Disney, didn't the fan reaction show you that people prefer the actual song to the Fury narration?

Wait what? The Avengers theme/intro is absolutely awful. I was actually hoping it had changed with the way it was edited with the narration.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Die Laughing posted:

It's not like Power Man and Iron Fist were bastions of maturity anyways. Nova started as a teen hero, and nobody cares about White Tiger.

Somehow, making Iron Fist a teenager has increased his maturity. Don't ask me how this works, it just did.

Waterhaul posted:

Wait what? The Avengers theme/intro is absolutely awful. I was actually hoping it had changed with the way it was edited with the narration.

It grows on you. You hate it at first, but 8 or so episodes in you're singing along and you don't know why. It's a common documented reaction.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Djarum posted:

The premise has me even more suspect. When I first heard that they were making a USM cartoon I thought it was a great idea as most of the USM especially the early stuff would lend to a cartoon fantastically. It could have been to the current generation that the Fox 90s show was mine. Instead of taking that idea and running with it, we are effectively getting Spider-Man and his Amazing Heroes for Hire Kids! Not saying a Spider-Man Team Up show couldn't work but this just isn't the way to do it. My gut feeling from the limited amount of time we have seen the team is we are going to cringe at every moment they are on screen and the "drama" that they have already setup. I could very well be wrong and I hope I am since they have some of my favorite characters on this team but my gut is telling me otherwise.

To expand on what I said a few posts up, this clearly isn't a Team Up show in the traditional sense of the comic, nor is it Avengers:EMH where they are a hero team and barely anything else. This is Disney making Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the lead. Whether that was the main inspiration or it was the latter half of the Ultimate comic with Aunt May's house o' heroes, this show is about all of them growing up and learning together, knowing the intimate details of each other's lives whereas when we usually say one hero "knows" who another hero is under the mask, it's barely more than their name and face.

• Locked thread