Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette nodded dumbly to Isit's question, then glanced again at the door through which the stranger had vanished. "Um. Should we...?" She indicated vaguely in its direction, then shrugged. There was probably some reason why not, or else someone would have risen by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf shrugs. "Safer inside at night, and I'm sure most of us feel like a horse kicked us. Anyways, Let us eat, and have a nice meal, as Alec intended, yes?" Glancing at Lo'el, she smiles brightly. "I gotta tell you, I think the spear is your weapon. Use it much in that herd of yours? Speaking of, are all of your race men? That's what I heard." Sipping from the beer, she waits for his response, even offense was better than his nervousness at this point.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

Small talk. Yes. He could do that. He smiled lightly. "Hm, yes, I've always thought of knives as a last resort. Knife-fighting you get no reach, you can't control the pace or distance of the fight. That's no way to live to see tomorrow," he commented cheerfully as he tucked into his food, smiles hiding his discomfort. This place was not quite like the old Barony; he knew almost everyone there, so he knew when to watch his back and when he was safe. He knew which ears were pointed in his direction. Not here, though. Here, everyone was a stranger. His expertise lay more in getting out of trouble or being unnoticed than in keeping this particular sort of low profile and picking out troublemakers out of a crowd, and he was beginning to realize exactly how problematic that was in this situation.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Being from a culture that regarded traitors as the worst mark against one's honor. Alec simply shrugged, this manner of intrigue only lowered his opinion of this part of the world. At least his people knew enough to fight together against such dangerous and worthless foe.

The matter resolved in his mind, Alec calmly started eating and drinking a bit. Though this food had not cost him, he knew that the man would require a service for it, or they were helping him in some way. "Daggers are a strange weapon, but not common that I have seen. We mainly are attacked by tribes of Son's of Rugii. They prefer coarse Axes and tools to fight with. Sometimes, other tribes of Man things. Not real Men of course, but savage and did not understand words."

Continuing on, Alec looks at Lor'El very curiously as he ate "Only Men? That must get old, Women make things much more interesting. Very good at training, you don't dare make a wrong move." Alec shuttered. "However, the games after? Well worth it." Alec nudges Lor'El and drinks from his beer.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He waits in silence for the food to arrive. Anything he was likely to say about the subject would just draw more attention to them. Trying to appear calm when his nerves got the better of him was never something he was very good at. Thankfully, Isit surprisingly draws his current thoughts away. He stares at the woman for a moment before letting out a nervous laugh.

"Yes..well. I suppose there would not be much hope for my kind if that were true. In fact, over half of the herd are women. Although the men are usually the ones to hunt closer to the edges of the forest, so it is likely that only we males are spotted and talked about." He takes another sip of beer and looks down at his plate. It was still strange to have his food arrive so readily prepared for him.
"All men are trained with the spear and other such weapons from a young age. There are not many of us, so I was required to hunt game and protect the herd ever since I was able to."

He takes another sip of his drink before casually looking over at Alec after the man nudges him. He raises an eyebrow at the man before smiling and casually tapping his mug next to the Northerner's. "Yes indeed."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

It took only a second for Alec to see what Lor'El was trying to do, he clinked the mug next to Lor'El raised it and drank deeply from the mug. Then he put it down and began to eat more, laughing at the rather unsubtle implication.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan barely turns when the man is pointed out. No reason to draw too much attention to themselves from the rest of the inn. He does manage to get a decent look at the man's face, enough that he might be able to track him later, hopefully.

It's the note that truly gets his attention though. Too many eyes, too many ears. He had to be careful, no matter who the note was talking about. He drinks his ale and eats his meal quietly, considering.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Whereas the others seemed of a mind not to raise a fuss over that character, Lette busied herself focusing on her stew — and all the more intently when Alec and Lo'el shared their joke, her cheeks taking on a passing color.

"I haven't any intimacy with that, but you both make it sound horrifying," she says. When she looks up, it becomes clear that she is addressing Martin and Isit. "No stranger to knives, mind, but never in a fight. Are either of you speaking from experience?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 1, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

After drinking, Alec settled down to eating and mostly talking in hushed tones to Lor'El about things. Upon hearing Lette ask about the knives Alec smiled and added "Knives, suffer cause they are weapons that lack reach. If you right in front of the person then you can just go cut. But when fighting a sword, or spear then you feel very out matched. Marten, has quite the different sort than I have seen. I cannot fault a warrior for his weapons, only his skill or honor."

With a flourish, Alec drains his cup and finishes, "Of course, most only use knives if they are desperate. I once was going after a pair of Rugits, had tried to have a go at one of the Farm Maidens. They didn't know the value of Weßenstedt maidens until I found them limping away, and there was nothing wrong with their legs, if you know the song. Good tough Lass, I think she became a Warrior."

With a sigh, Alec leans back and eats eagerly just letting himself enjoy the moment. He turns to Lor'El and smiles "Come, come, you must have some tales yourself!"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Once he realizes that Lette is talking to him, he taps his temple briefly, then begins to speak, a slightly smug smile on his face. "Well, m'lady, I try to stay away from fighting with just a knife myself, but it can be done. I've fought a few men who chose to do things that way too. You have to be quick. Against anyone with anything other than a knife, it's about speed on the counter, and getting inside your opponent's space before they can recover. It is not always easy," he concludes authoritatively, gesturing with a hand to emphasize the point.

"Defending against them...you need proper footwork and positioning. As long as you stay on balance and keep good spacing, you're fine," he notes, making a dismissive motion with his hand. "As it happens, I am quite good at both of those."

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Wide-eyed, the girl looked askance at Alec. She had no idea what manner of tale he was seeking to press from Lo'el, after that. Lette resolved to give Martin her full attention.

"Well, it may be that I'd be better left to whittle branches than throats, but if our course is taking us into danger — well, more danger — then I may need to practice." Archery, fencing and spear combat, magic and music; it was looking more and more as though Lette would have something to learn from each of her traveling companions. She hoped she could be as helpful to them, in turn.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

As his stomach rumbles once more, he eagerly obeys it and starts tucking into his meal. He lets himself focus on the conversation around him, trying to take his mind off hidden notes and talk of 'traitors', at least for the moment. His ears perk up as he turns to Alec, not all too sure what sort of tale the man seems to be asking for. Although, judging from his last statement, he could probably guess.
"I have not many tales to tell of personal experiences like that I'm afraid." He stuffs a mouthful of what tastes like rabbit into his mouth before washing it down with another drink. "I must thank you once again for your efforts earlier today. I had never imagined myself being in a battle, let alone being in one so brutal as what we faced today. If you were not all there to help, then I shudder to think of what may have happened."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

A wave of nostalgia hit Alec and he continued despite being the only one to truly enjoying himself. "Well, it a fine thing to have a first battle you can walk away from. Not everyone does, and you might have not today. Best to celebrate what did happen and not worry about what might! Come, Come we should have songs and stories, not worries and what ifs. I'm sure that you have many tales of your people, and many things to tell us strangers to you."

With smiles and nods Alec says, "It might be the first time your spear tip has tasted blood in war, but I'm sure you have other things to celebrate, of course, no need to go through every first." Alec winked and nudged Lor'El. Trying to loosen up the faun to open up a bit.

Not as drunk or as obtuse as he might appear, Alec feared that he would be the only one to actually feast tonight. Lor'El might even go to his room with that pretty barmaid he kept looking at, Alec thought with a large smile. Not his type, but then some 'Fauns' Alec thought to the words others had used, still were part Man and still had wants.

It had occurred him that Lor'El might be more inexperienced than he let on, but Alec was no one to call someone on something like that. He was sure, that with his music he could entice whomever he wanted to, if he desired. Alec hoped that before going on this trip that he would square away all such things before the others.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf takes a bit of meat, and chews with a thoughtful look. "Well a guy I was supposed to take in tried to challenge me to to a dagger fight. I said I accepted, then shot him through the leg when he wasnt looking. Little gently caress played passed out, then tried to stab face. Only got my leg. What an rear end." Taking another bite, she shrugs. "Least he wasn't a wizard. Never take them jobs."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

With a large laugh, the large blond haired barbarian takes his own mug again and drinks deeply as if it salute a good story. "Well, you are much kinder than women of my people, only the Leg? The Man was lucky!" Alec returns to eating a bit, purposefully keeping more sober than he appears.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

"You are right." he says to Alec, finishing off the last of his meal. "We survived and no one was taken from us, this is more then enough reason to celebrate." He takes a long drink and smiles genuinely as he places the mug back on the table. He tries to brush off the northerners hints and nudges with a carefree laugh, although he suspects that his burning red cheeks gave him away. Even amongst his carefree people, the faun had never been very confident in such talk. At least, not before a few drinks.

He reaches into his bag and pulls out his flute, turning the instrument over in his hands a few times as he looks over the people near them. "Do your people have songs Sir Alec? It would seem that once we leave tomorrow that I will have to avoid playing to avoid attention, so I would like to take this chance to enjoy myself while I can. Perhaps we can make these people forget their troubles for a time as well." He brings the instrument to his lips and tries a short tune to test that his right hand still allowed him to play after his recent injury. Smiling in satisfaction after he feels no pain, the faun looks to Lette. "Would you care to join me Miss Lette? I would be blessed if you were to join me again in another song."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Well, thought Martin, even if they were all in a lot of danger, at least there was good food, stories, and music tonight. At least as importantly, he was starting to get a better idea of just who these people were, whose lives he had put his own at risk for. Silently, he considered this, noshing on the remains of his dinner and nodding at intervals while he listened to the others.

Two of them, he thought, were unused to this sort of work; but both Lo'el and Lette seemed eager to learn, he assumed, and he would of course teach what he could. He would rather have friends who wanted to do good and who wanted to learn, than those who knew more of fighting but did less proper things with it. Such skills ought to be used for the benefit of others, for the vulnerable; they seemed to understand this. Of the others, the Northerner, seemed as boisterous and brash with a mug in his hand as he did with a weapon; he wasn't sure if he would need to keep an extra eye on Alec or not, to make sure he didn't do anything ridiculous. Isit, the elf, was possibly the only one of the others who he wasn't worried about at all: skill and discretion was a safe combination.

And then there was the dwarf. Dolan. Martin hadn't spoken much to him. He knew that the dwarf had magic, and while that would surely be good in a pinch, it could also backfire as it did today. That was the little that de Mignolet knew on the subject, and that risk bothered him. Looking flashy is one thing; surely Martin's fencing looked so, but with his expertise it was much less risky than it seemed. Magic was an entirely different thing, especially in these days where everything seemed to be going wrong everywhere. His mind had no answer for this concern, though; he would simply have to do the best he could, and hope that Dolan's troubles today were a fluke.

Finally, having spent a few moments in contemplation, he speaks again. "My friends," he begins cheerily, addressing Lo'el and Lette both. "I am sure we would all be much obliged if you would play a song or three for us!" Music would take his mind off his concerns, surely. It was not that he thought that he himself was not up to the challenges ahead. As he had always done in the past, so would the former heir of the de Mignolet family find a way to throw himself in harm's way on behalf of others, and then get himself out of trouble once again. It was the fine people at the table with him tonight that he was worried about.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan doesn't look over at the elf when she tells her story, instead he just grunts a small laugh as she describes the scenario. She wasn't as uptight as he had expected her to be. Maybe she wasn't the same kind of elf as the others he had met. Or maybe her lot in life had just given her a different outlook.

At least she had a lot in life, unlike to faun. From what he overheard of the conversation between him and the northman, he wondered just how old this faun was, and just what he was doing here. Some sort of rite of passage, perhaps. Inexperienced in battle, inexperienced in life... Well, hopefully that would all come with time. The alternative was less pleasant.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

"Heh, kind. Charity had nothing to do with it. That rear end was worth double the amount alive. And I needed the gold. That's how I got enough to buy the Heartbre...um, my bow." Coughing, she decides to stick with water the rest of the night. Wouldn't do to be chatty. She nods at Martin's suggestion. "A song would be interesting, yes."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

A bright smile crosses his face as the others agree for a song and he wastes no time in leaving his seat and moving to stand next to the table with a bit more room to play.
"Well then, I will be blessed to oblige you. If anything is needed after a good meal, it is a song." He wonders if he should address the other patrons first, but soon decides against it. They would most likely send odd looks his way and regard him with a wary eye as usual. It would be best to let the music do the talking.

He taps his right hoof lightly on the floor for a beat as he takes a deep breath and brings the instrument to his lips. The first note cuts through the air around him and he soon falls easily enough into an upbeat and merry song. Dance of the Birds, that was the name. It was his mother's favourite. Losing himself in the moment, the faun closes his eyes as his fingers move instinctively for the right notes. He can almost feel the grass of Rintel underneath his hooves again as the song sends waves of nostalgia through his body. So many evenings had been spent underneath the trees as he had perfected the tune, all to see the look of pride his mother had given him when he had played it to her for the first time. He opens his eyes and curves his mouth up in a smile as he continues to play, tail swaying gleefully behind him as all troubles leave his mind.

Rolled a 10 against M.I (Flute) - 12.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec nods to Lor'El and says "Yes, of course we do, I will sing some later after you if you want." Alec starts eating a bit more gingerly, it was starting to relax the new warriors, like they needed to be. Couldn't have them freezing up and getting killed needlessly. Things are looking up Alec thought with some certainly.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Not one to turn down so genteel an invitation, Lette shoveled down the remainder of her stew. She wiped her mouth with her bread and folded the entire slice into her mouth, to work on as she played.

Though a fun, rollicking song, she could tell that Lo'el was utterly lost in it, far more than last time. A few moments into his spirited performance, she decided that it was well enough to pluck simple chords and the occasional supporting harmony where she could predict the melody's next turn. Even though she had been invited, she wouldn't presume to tell the faun's story for him.

also passed check, etc.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 2, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Leaning back in his wooden chair he watches the new music starting and begins to feel a bit tired, his arm starting to bother him, not with pain but rather with a tingling sensation. Alec started to eat again, though he was taller than most of the people around him, he managed slump enough to be at everyone else's eye level. Alec could clearly see the rather paranoid eyes around him. He was very unconcerned about traitors since he had nothing to hide and no one around these parts considered him anything more than a oxen to carry heavy things, and not think. Alec feeling full and quite satisfied with drink slowly starts to dose with the music. Like everything he did, he fought the fatigue like a stubborn warrior. Alec waits to the end of the music before, excusing himself, saying simply "Today has been a bit much for me, I'm going sleep, so I can get my arm actually working in the morning." Alec walked up to the counter to the Tavern Keeper, "The meal was excellent, please give this to the maidens and the cook" and he deposits 5 gold into the Tavern Keeper's hand. With a bit of a exaggerated stumble he walks up to his small room.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

His meal finished, Dolan leans back in his seat to enjoy the music. It wasn't something he truly appreciated very often, but the sheer passion the faun seems to put into the music changes it somehow. Maybe it was just the novelty of it; dwarven music seemed to fall into either the category of drunken shouting or solemn chanting with nary a tune in between. Upon seeing Alec get up, he leans over to speak to him. "Northman, sleep well." And with your knife close, his expression says. The noble would likely not need to be told, and certainly not the elf. The faun and the girl would need to be warned. The note likely perturbed them, but they might not think that they could be in danger. It would not do to have his companions' throats opened in the night.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

"We'll need you to have both of your arms tomorrow, Alec," needles Martin, but uses the Northerner's proper name for once. "Rest well." With that, Martin turned back to the food and drink that remained of his meal; after all, it would be a waste of good food for him to leave anything on his plate!

"I'll likely not be much longer for the waking world tonight myself," he comments to the rest of the table after a moment or two. "We'll want to get going early I'm sure, and that means if I'm going to sleep it ought to be soon. I am not what you might think of as a morning person, you see," he adds with a sheepish smirk as he stands. "Sleep with one eye open, the rest of you, hm? And good night," he added softly, before heading to his own room. The rest of his troubles he would worry about in the morning.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the others heading to sleep, was a decent idea. She'd head out too, but after this song. They were decent, the lass and the faun. After they finish, she stands, and waves at them. "Get to bed you kids. Need some sleep if I'm training you in archery. Aim is the first thing to suffer." With that she heads upstairs to her small room. Placing a noisy pitcher in front of the door, and one in front of the window, she sighs. Didn't have time for a better alarm, but that'd do. Didn't want some rear end in a top hat getting the jump on her. After making the warding gestures in all four directions to fend off ghosts, Isit finally settles down to sleep, holding the hilt of the knife hidden under her pillow.

Stacking a few noisy objects in front of door and window to wake her up if intruders try a thing.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Finishing off the song with a flourish, the faun lowers the flute from his mouth and looks to the others with a smile. "Pardon me." he says to Lette, scratching the hair around his horns in slight embarrassment. "Sometimes I can get a bit swept up in it all." As he sees the others rise from the table, he decides to follow suit and grabs his various possessions from the table. "A good night to you all and rest well."

He then takes his leave and returns to his small room upstairs, soon climbing into the bed and watching the passing storm through his window. The weather certainly was an ominous sign. And after all the talk of traitors in the city, perhaps it would be best to leave for the road earlier then they had planned. He turns his head to the closed door as he falls into sleep. The sounds of the waking city in his sensitive ears were proving more then enough to wake him in the early hours and hopefully tomorrow would prove no different.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Brief night to you," she replies to the retiring Lo'el. She made a mental note to ask, when time permitted, about the style of song he had just performed.

The last of her ragtag party to turn in, Lette sat down at the bar, suddenly feeling acutely forlorn. It was as much that the others had gone as it was... well, everything. As much as she did not wish to dwell on it, there was precious little else to occupy her thoughts. Until she decided to make something else.

"Excuse me," she said to the barkeep, pointing, "what kind of wine is that? I'll have a glass, please." Never were big drinkers, back home, but it was said that a glass here and there could even be a healthy thing. Anyway, even after such a physically and emotionally draining day, her mind was running a mile a minute; word had it that this could help with that.

Lette downed the red in one deep pull, earning a look from the bartender and a chuckle from another patron. She winced, finding the pleasant flavor overpowered, at the end, by the bullish onslaught of its proof. It was from a southern vineyard, so maybe it was a regional distinction? How else might she explain that her first southern wine is also the first that under no circumstances could ever be mistaken for grape juice?

...Or might her father have been in the habit of watering down the one bottle he kept around? Ever the frugal one, that man.

And thus her thoughts had come full circle, once more focusing on her perplexing situation. With a sigh, she rose and turned in for the night. Sleep would come; she just needed to be patient. As with a great many circumstances.

OK fine, have a goodnight post after all.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

As the others retreated to their rooms, Dolan finished his ale and followed suit. Once in his room, he sat on the edge of the bed, his staff propped against the wall at the head. He opened his logbook, turning to the most recent page, and wrote.

quote:

33 kernång, 2412

Employed by city of Noah. Good town, efficient. Lord Roland is a good man, good at what he does. First mission for the city as well today. Refugee wagons coming in, chased by bandits. Bandits turned out to be centaurs. Refugees taken; one killed, one missed, a small child now under the care of the city. Centaurs all escaped, nobody killed.

He hesitates a moment, then continues.

quote:

Something happened. May have been linked somehow. Possible result of the Change. Heard a voice, spoke the words on the page before. This is not to be written of further.

After another moment, he turns back towards the beginning of his logbook. The pages there are filled with runes. Hundreds, perhaps thousands of them. Some of them are so complex they would take hours to scribe, others so simple as to look like random scratches. He turns to one, and lays his hand on the page.

It Channels easily this time, filling him with power. More power than he was used to. He could handle this, more than he ever thought he could, and yet he still felt as if, someday, he might have more. Something had happened, but he did not know what. He released the energy into himself, then looked at the now-blank page, and began to write again.

quote:

12 Zanorshil, 2363

Cold. Lost three more men today. Ulfren lay down and didn't get up. Channo panicked, ran for the trees; they got him. Illip fell through the ice into a cavern, taking half the remaining supplies with him. Forty feet straight down, I can't get to him. He's alive, I can hear him moaning, crying. I hope his suffering ends soon.

Thirty-two degrees. Seventeen minutes. Fifty-four seconds.

He stares at the page, tapping the pencil against the edge of the book, then looks at his staff, imagines it Turning. He remembers.

quote:

Illip just died.

He closes the logbook, trapping the graphite pencil back in between the pages, and puts it beside his staff. He needed to wake early tomorrow. Perhaps something else might change.

Casting (and learning) Detect Observation on myself, not bothering to maintain it.

Gus Hobbleton fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 3, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
As the heroes go to bed, some groggy, some still wincing in pain at scars that have already healed and some worried about what the next day may bring- few worry about what may find them in their dreams. The worry is all about their bodies, and not their souls. Neither, to be fair, are safe; but as the surprisingly soft, warm beds enfold all in their embrace to take them off to the land of dreams the worries of a more frenetic mind seem... trivial.

And so, for the night, most are left to their own fond devices, to mix the day's events into an interesting if unclear melange of emotions and impressions that do little to inform or clarify the events that they have been inserted into. It is, for most, just simply another night in a strange room with all the attendant difficulties of getting to sleep. Isit starts awake once, in the small of the night, as a piece of paper crinkles inside her door... but a thorough if groggy search reveals nobody, and the elf soon drifts back to her own dreams of past acquaintances in less pleasant times. Perhaps strange breezes muss a hair or two on Lette's head, perhaps Alec is not so alone as he thinks while his fantasies carry him to a more pleasant place for a moment, but- at least until morning- there's nothing so sharp as to rouse everyone from ordinary dreams.

...except for Dolan.

Seemingly seconds after his head hits the pillow, Dolan wakes back up in another land. A little green nook nestled inbetween two peaks overlooking a valley, the valley where his true home's cave had its main entrance. There's a morning fog blanketing the valley floor now, but he knows its layout as surely as he knows his own mind... though that might be a poor choice of analogies, since the voice he heard when he was knocked out drifts back to the fore.

"So pleasant to be with you again," the warm woman's voice drifts into his mind. "Watching you today was enlightening, sweet Dolan. I understand you so much more. Soon, even more! I know I can help you." When he turns to try to look at the voice, there's nobody there- just a ghostly voice in his head, intruding on the scene from his youth, and a... familiar, now, warmth spreading through his body. "I'm nobody sweet Dolan. You can help me become somebody. With you." A pleasant laugh, and a tingling feeling down the dwarf's spine. "I will borrow some of what you don't need. Don't worry. We keepers of secrets have to keep our words. I will repay you. Soon. We will see each other far more clearly... soon."

And like that, the voice fades; soon after, the pleasant, nostalgic scene does as well, warm heat ebbing and pulsing inside the dwarf's mind as he drifts back into oblivion.

The waking hours find everyone hale and hearty, more or less; Dolan feels inexplicably tired for just having woken up, but he can feel his native abilities reenergizing him even as he rises.

Dolan has lost 4 FP, but will regain them naturally with his recover energy spell. Nobody else can tell anything amiss about their rooms on waking.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Upon waking, Isit carefully examines her room, before determining that everything was in it's place. Washing her face, the elf pulls her hair into a french braid before venturing from her room. Knocking lightly on the door of each of her companions as she walks down the hall, she turns to descend the stairs and enter the tavern. Hopefully they'd join her soon, Isit was eager to be off. Beckoning to one of the staff, she produces a coin. "Bread, cheese, and dried meat if you have it. Better make it for six, and wrapped if you can." Getting them up, and out of the city was her first priority. They could eat while riding hopefully.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Stars filled the void, glittering and shining and reflecting until there was no void, no time, only their light. In the midst of it all, brighter even than the stars, was a single bar of light, focusing and refracting everything, gathering all the light of the universe.

He reached out and--

He stood in front of the Hero's Gate, or what remained of it. The enormous steel statues of Unid Terrorbane and Ellana Mother-to-All stood rusted and slanted on their aged pedestals. Scorch marks where the flames from below had touched the stone stood out in between moss and vines that crept up from the ground. Unid's sword arm had been sheared off, leaving a jagged stump of torn metal. The gold that had traced their steel clothing had been pried off, and the jewels adorning Ellana's hair had been looted. The gates themselves hung askew on their massive hinges, one of them cracked in half and laying on the stairway leading up into the mountain's face. Inside, the torches that held the undying flames lay dark. There was no life here.

Dolan fell to his knees. He had never brought himself to see this.

He rose to his feet in an instant at the sound of the voice, and is stunned into silence until it finished speaking. "You!" He finally managed, as if the entity did not already know who it was. "Why would you bring me here? What do you want?!"

There is no answer, except for the sudden rush of consciousness. The light of dawn streams in through the window. Growling, Dolan rises and opens his logbook, flipping to one of the earlier pages. He knows it won't work, but he attempts to Channel one of the more complex runes. The effort is fruitless, and even if it had worked, he didn't even know if it would have been effective or not. He had no idea what this thing was. He had no idea where to begin. He was faced with a foe he did not even begin to know how to fight, and the Ironwood Corps. was thousands of miles away.

He was alone.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Martin de Mignolet

Compared to the others, Martin's awakening was comparatively measured. Which is to say, he awoke, then dozed for some minutes - existing in that half-dream, half-awake state while he slowly attempted to pull himself out of bed. It was not easy - some may have accused him of being soft, but this was in truth the only real indicator of that. The rest was an act, but this...this was real. After some time, he awoke and dressed, then sat on the bed, pack ready by his side, for another interval that might have been excruciating to see had others been watching him.

Eventually, he was up and about, and downstairs - bleary-eyed, tired and quiet, in stark contrast to his otherwise cheerful and smug demeanor. He sees Isit waiting at the counter, and offers a short, awkward half-bow as if to say good morning. Words would come later. For now, there was only the miracle of his being awake at all.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Sleep had come easily for Alec it had been a hard fought day and it was going to be an even longer tomorrow. As he stared at the ceiling, his scarred and bandaged body embracing sleep like a stone drifting into the dark water of the sea. The darkness envelopes him, and there is a brief flash of light before fading from memory.

It was still dark when Alec woke, after all, he had things he needed to do and only have half the hands to do it. After grabbing fresh water from the well and cleaning himself throughly, Alec looked at his new scar, welcome among the others, though a much nastier gash than he would have liked. His arms and chest covered with various marks and old wounds. Alec thoughtfully pulled at his beard while he looked them over in the polished metal mirror. When he had two hands, he decided he would have to prepare for war, despite the rather high cost to himself personally.

Without hesitation Alec started his daily rituals, first by cleaning and oiling of his sword and spear. Then after a careful examination, he sharpened of both to keep them deadly. Moving on he cleaned and inspected all of the leather from his helm to his shield hand hold, oiling and making sure it was ready to do proper work. He moved on to the chain mail, making sure that the rings were in proper place, and it was solid and ready to turn a sword, or spear tip. He was satisfied that they would do, and were ready for battle.

Alec looked at his jerkin from yesterday and quietly cursed his wound, as it tore quite a long gash in it. Alec started cleaning it and his other clothes very throughly and carefully. The blood soon faded into more of a light stain then the bright red mark it was before. With a bit more effort and slow work he managed to almost completely remove the mark, with only his one hand, it was slow going.

Alec using his fish hooks and line, sewed it very slowly and awkwardly with only one hand. Examining the ragged stitches up the side of his jerkin he was satisfied and stowed the bone hook and line. It was not his best work, but it was better than having a torn jerkin for the day.

Moving on to his new equipment he, he checked the arrows and bow, testing and stringing the bow testing it. though he could not test it completely, using his hand and foot he was able to at least be satisfied it would not fail on him. He began to fill his quiver with the arrows, checking each one that it was true.

Finally these starting tasks done, he moved on to the more cerebral practices as his arm was not able to do the physical ones. Alec practiced saying his oaths, and the secret words to his spells, not doing anything to bring forth any effect, but enough to practice and reinforce his knowledge of them. Concentrating, he didn't even notice the knock on the door as he practiced his various songs. He kept at it until the sun began to light the sky.

Alec started packing his gear, inspecting each item to make sure it was in it's place and most of all, of use. With this he had completed most of the morning rituals he always had, though without his arm, he could not practice the more physical ones now. He headed down the stairs with an urgency only nodding to Isit at the table as he passed, speaking quickly "Good Morning!Without two hands I am late today, I am going to the Healer now, I will return soon."

Alec walked down to the Healer and knocked on the door expectantly, with the sun barely starting to peek above the horizon, he expected them to be ready and waiting to start the day, Alec was behind schedule now. The solid wooden door shook as he knocked on it again, Alec impatiently waited.

getting mah healing poo poo done and out of the way, then I can finish up when I have two hands

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 3, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

The faun wakes easily enough when the first rays of morning light peek through the window and fill up the room. He lays there for a while, wondering what the day might bring, when the first noises of the waking city convince him to get up and prepare. After washing and checking his equipment once more, he soon exits the room with his pack strapped to his back and weapons in hand as he descends the stairs.

He smiles at Isit and Martin as he enters the room, just catching the back of Alec's head as the northerner leaves the inn. Off to handle some last minute task no doubt.
"A blessed morning to you both." he says, coming to sit with the others. "I suppose we will be heading off once we are ready? This city is a wonderful sight, but I will not miss the crowds whilst we are gone." Despite the circumstances of their journey and the safety the city provided them, it would be nice to breath in the country air once more.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
As all wake up, Alec quickly does as he was told and heads to get his arm fixed; making his way through the early morning crowds pressing in on all sides (but managing to avoid jostling his injured arm), the northman finds the 'hospital' without much difficulty. They aren't, technically speaking, "open" yet at the early hour. Despite that, the elven doctor with extremely bloodshot eyes manages to get through the healing incantations without fault, and Alec is treated again to the skin-crawling feeling of muscle and flesh knitting together in seconds. His arm's still a little tight- but usable, now.

Dolan gets no response.

The inn already has a small throng at the bar, with some who rise even earlier than Isit already getting food; still, one coin spends as well as any other, and a bleary server takes her coin, repeats her order, and within a few minutes a cloth bundle of food is produced.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The elf nods at the others as they file into the room. "Yes, after they get healed, we meet up and drill. I got us some food so we don't have to take a break. Figure we can borrow the equipment, then get to work." Isit smiles, keeping up the charade. Ears were everywhere after all. "We'll have a full day."

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan comes down the stairs from his room and nods to the others. "I'll meet you here or at the main gate," he says quickly, grabbing one of the wrapped rations he saw Isit purchasing. Before he leaves, he grabs a mug of ale from a serving woman's tray and flips a gold coin to her, downing the drink and leaving the mug on a table near the door before she can protest.

His first stop is to the healer. The man might not even be awake yet, but he wanted to get that out of the way before anything. Dolan had ignored a healer's directive once before, and it had not gone well; their wrath could be surprisingly potent for people who mended flesh instead of rending it.

With that done, he heads back to the wagon depot. Hopefully the Scryguard had decayed in the night. The longevity of that spell was not terribly extensive, so he did not think he had to worry. Unless there was a traitor in their midst. One who had cast the spell after the wagons had been taken in, and who was able to come out in the night to refresh it. At least that would give some hint.

Finding the second wagon, casting History 14 on it, attempting to find what happened yesterday on the road.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

It was good to have his hand back, he flexed his hand and tested every finger. He rolled his shoulder and stretched his stiff arm. Though it felt tight it was better than it being worthless. Alec went to the back of the inn, amongst the firewood and the smoky fire stack off the beaten track and away from the crowd of people.

With a grunt he lowered his pack to the ground and started stretching and slowly doing his exercises, various movements from rolls to hand stands. Without hesitation he moved into taking out and sheathing his sword and shield, bringing the sword up quickly into strike forms directly from his sheath. Satisfied with it, he sheaths his sword and bring ups his spear going through the various attack forms, with shield and without. Finally, he brings up his bow and with training since childhood, string it and pull it back, practicing taking an arrow from his quiver to the bow string and back in one quick motion.

Finally after 30 minutes of ritualized practice, Alec sighs and comes to the part he was dreading most. Without regret, Alec gathered his things, and went up into his inn room, nodding to the mostly assembled crowd. "Almost done, be back soon." He waved to them with a small smile and nod to the barmaid as he went up the stairs to his room.

Running up to his small and sparse room, he gazed into the mirror at his beard and longhair. Alec stared in the mirror and appraised his long flowing hair and long beard. Though he prided himself with these, he knew what would have to come. He was no longer just traveling, it was time for war, he would not be able to keep it up if this journey lasted as long as he thought.

His sharp knife slid out of it's sheath and flickered with the flame of the candle in the room. With some regret he cut his beard enough to leave it's presence but greatly trimmed. Finally it came to his biggest dread, his long blond hair, with a bit of a sawing action he cut it just below his ears. He shook his hair using the bronze mirror in his room to make sure it was cut about consistent around his head. Now, Alec decided he was ready for his journey, and breakfast.

With a nod he locked his room with a key, leaving most of his equipment other than a few essentials in his room. Coming down the stairs in just his jerkin, he waved to everyone and sat down. His roughly cut hair, and rough thin beard contrasting with his faded green jerkin, only his broadsword on hip complimented his war like nature. "Finally, now to start the day." Alec added to the conversation without listening first. He took a sip from his waterskin and motioned to the bar maid asking "How much meat can I get for half a gold piece."

Now that I've spelled out the things done for the honor code item, all of this except the hair cutting will be just called "Alec's daily routine" unless specifically noted as not done or added to.
tl;dr version

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Closing the door behind her, Lette trundled to the staircase and waved to the others from the summit. "Hello! Anyone else famished?"

At the foot of the steps, she caught a fleeting glimpse of Dolan taking his leave before the door swung shut once more. "Where's he gone? Ahead to speak to Lord Roland? 'Morning, by the way, Ms. Isit, Mr. Lo'el. Did I hear you just discussing the plan?"

She paused beside Martin, whose grip on consciousness appeared tenuous at best. "You should clear the sleep from your eyes. It's called that for a reason, you know," she concluded with a knowing nod.

After most of a minute, she finally recognizes Alec. She gapes at him for the remainder of said minute. "...goodness, Mr. Alec! What inspired that?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 4, 2012

• Locked thread