Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
Just picked up some good stuff I've been looking to get for ages

David Bowie - Portrait of Star (includes Low, Heroes and Lodger)
Pg. 99 - Document #8
Pink Floyd - Animals
cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD
Mount Eerie - No Flashlight
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Main Attrakionz - 808s & Dark Grapes II
mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister / A-B:Life / Catch For us the Foxes

yummm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I've been needing to get Animals for a while. I was hoping it would be reissued as part of the remastering campaign but I guess they were only going to do Dark Side, Wish, and the Wall. At least, I haven't heard anything about the other albums being released.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here are some very cheap (US only) deals from Best Buy.

Nothing too special, but that's pretty cheap. Especially considering shipping is free.

FYI - looks like a lot of these titles have had the price jacked up again. 2 titles I purchased for $7.99 each the other day are now jacked up to what appears to be full retail.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

mia2000 posted:

FYI - looks like a lot of these titles have had the price jacked up again. 2 titles I purchased for $7.99 each the other day are now jacked up to what appears to be full retail.

I ain't gonna update 4 day old posts just to stay current. I refuse to do it. :colbert:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Nosferatu Man posted:

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

This album is SO good. The reissue sounds loving glorious too.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I ain't gonna update 4 day old posts just to stay current. I refuse to do it. :colbert:

I know, I know.....just wanted to give people a heads up to hopefully avoid the price shock. For instance, 21st Century Breakdown went from $7.99 to $34.99 (yikes). I suppose they decided to jack the prices back up to make up for the 50 stores they are shutting down and 400 people they are laying off at corporate.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

mia2000 posted:

Just got my Fleet Foxes records and noticed they are now listed at $19.99. They look like they came in good condition but I don't know if they're warped or not because I haven't opened them yet. Best Buy has no idea what they are doing (carrying music instruments and trying to compete with Guitar Center for example) and it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would do this after getting a flood of orders. "Hey, lets jack the price back up, people want to buy these things!".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Just got my Fleet Foxes records and noticed they are now listed at $19.99. They look like they came in good condition but I don't know if they're warped or not because I haven't opened them yet. Best Buy has no idea what they are doing (carrying music instruments and trying to compete with Guitar Center for example) and it doesn't surprise me in the least that they would do this after getting a flood of orders. "Hey, lets jack the price back up, people want to buy these things!".

I'm still dumbfounded that they're selling 18 dollar records for 65. How the gently caress did they come to that price? If Best Buy goes under I'll say good riddance. Their stores are terrible and their selection of everything other than TVs is laughable. And even then, they don't have the TVs set up properly most of the time because the employees are all ignorant, apathetic teenagers who make minimum wage.

edit: I just looked on their site because you made me curious. I bought Oh, Inverted World by the Shins for 5 bucks during the sale. It is now marked up to 27.99 and I specifically remember that it said the original price was 13.99 before the sale. Anyone who actually buys music on vinyl is going to know these prices are way too high, so they've effectly made sure they're not going to sell any more of these things.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 30, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
For fans of 45 label art, I give you this:

http://centerofattention.me/

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

CPL593H posted:

I'm still dumbfounded that they're selling 18 dollar records for 65. How the gently caress did they come to that price? If Best Buy goes under I'll say good riddance. Their stores are terrible and their selection of everything other than TVs is laughable. And even then, they don't have the TVs set up properly most of the time because the employees are all ignorant, apathetic teenagers who make minimum wage.

edit: I just looked on their site because you made me curious. I bought Oh, Inverted World by the Shins for 5 bucks during the sale. It is now marked up to 27.99 and I specifically remember that it said the original price was 13.99 before the sale. Anyone who actually buys music on vinyl is going to know these prices are way too high, so they've effectly made sure they're not going to sell any more of these things.

Well, the good news is that both of my records arrived in good condition and now I have 2 great albums for $16 but yeah, Best Buy is a piece of poo poo company. Maybe it's just because I don't buy CDs, rarely buy blu-rays/dvds, have the electronics I need, etc. but I just don't see the need to go there for anything aside from the occasional gift for someone. I'll just get my stuff on amazon for cheaper without some kid trying to sell me MONSTER cables for my home theater system. Maybe Best Buy screwed up their pricing and decided that in order to make up the lost money, they could just jack up the prices, because people looking for records OBVIOUSLY go to Best Buy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Mister Kingdom posted:

For fans of 45 label art, I give you this:

http://centerofattention.me/

Thanks for the link, I really liked that!

On a smilar vein, and it has been posted in this thread before, The Exotica Project has 100 exotica 45s and thier labels. Also check out the Lonely Beat site.
http://exoticaproject.com/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ron Burgundy posted:

Thanks for the link, I really liked that!

On a smilar vein, and it has been posted in this thread before, The Exotica Project has 100 exotica 45s and thier labels. Also check out the Lonely Beat site.
http://exoticaproject.com/

Here's another one:

http://www.norelevance.com/current-exhibits/45-rpm-record-label-designs/

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010
So Third Man just announced their Record Store Day releases. Including playable etchings and liquid filled vinyl. :stare:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Judoon Platoon posted:

So Third Man just announced their Record Store Day releases. Including playable etchings and liquid filled vinyl. :stare:

I'm not even going to lie, that is really cool. How the hell do they even make a playable disc filled with liquid?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, that liquid filled disc is goddamn beautiful. What a crazy thing that I'll probably never get to see in person.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

CPL593H posted:

I'm not even going to lie, that is really cool. How the hell do they even make a playable disc filled with liquid?

Its been done but I can't remember who the hell did it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Its been done but I can't remember who the hell did it.

The soundtrack to The Black Hole was one but apparently they leaked so they were never mass produced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusual_types_of_gramophone_records

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Quick question. I skimmed the op and first page of posts but didn't see anything addressing my question.

Turntables and sub-woofers. I've been collecting vinyl off and on for years now because I like the format. It's been many years since I've had a turntable to play them on however. My room is a bit small and I'm a big fan of low end, I'm wondering what experience anyone has had with heavier music, hip hop, techno, etc. when it comes to room shaking bass and how this affects your playback. As I mentioned earlier, my room is tiny and my sub is powerful, I'm a bit worried even if I turn the sub way down I would still get skips, jumps, and possible scratches and gouges as a result of the vibration. Has this been an issue for anyone? My vinyl collection isn't huge so any table I do pick up isn't going to be anything terrifically fancy.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Actually plain old-fashioned feedback will be your worst enemy in this situation, the speakers will just start pumping.

Scratches and gouges are the product of great parties rather than lovely soundsystems. Records have a stigma of being like egg shells, but they are rather resilient to all but the worst handling.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Judoon Platoon posted:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 31, 2012

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Surfingelectrode posted:

Styx and Split Enz both put out records in the 80s with playable etchings. I'm not sure why TMR are touting this as an innovation.

Styx - Paradise Theater. I have this one.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Terminally Bored posted:

Simple, really. White Stripes put their earlier records on SFTRI, after the third LP the majors came a-knocking and White somehow managed to sell the rights to his earlier records also. This effectively put Long Gone John (the owner of SFTRI) on a short way to bankrupcy (he now resides in a cabin in the woods of Olympia, Washington). Stripes albums were big sellers, and he released other bands' stuff using that revenue. Long Gone was trying to sell the whole label in 2007, don't know if he succeeded. I'm not sure if his mailorder still works, probably not.

Not only that, White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

Check out a book called "We Never Learn" by Eric Davidson. It goes into this in more detail.

While you're at it, check out Davidson's band The New Bomb Turks if you're into garage punk. (I assume Terminally Bored is already familiar). They start to wear thin if you listen to them for more than about 20 minutes in one go, but if you can listen to them in brief spurts they're brilliant.

This whole thing sounds remarkably similar to the demise of Lookout Records a few years ago, swapping The White Stripes for Green Day and Operation Ivy (plus a whole slew of Lookout's B-list acts like Fifteen/Crimpshrine, the Criminals, etc., plus 2010 womens boxing champ Ben Weasel's projects). I guess the difference being that Lookout was diverting other artists royalty payments (mostly Green Day, Operation Ivy) into trying to develop artists that honestly weren't ever going to blow up (Pansy Division, The Donnas). I like Pansy Division well enough for what they are and think the Albini-produced Absurd Pop Song Romance is one of the most underrated pop albums of the 90s, but the fact remains that an overtly gay pop punk band is only going to have so much appeal.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Styx - Paradise Theater. I have this one.

Here's the Split Enz one:

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Terminally Bored posted:

White wanted the production credits on the reissues all to himself and sued Jim Diamond, the producer who charged really little for helping them with mastering their records back in the day. And he lost. What a douche.

I think you've got this turned around. Jim Diamond took Jack White to court over ownership of the master recordings because he didn't get paid any royalties for the first two records, even after the Stripes became a gravy train. Diamond lost the suit.

I was rooting for Jim in that because he's a great guy and a really important figure in Detroit music in the 90s/00s, but I don't and can't know the specifics behind their business deal. It seems more likely to me that Jack White is a greedy egomaniac, but that may be just because I don't like the White Stripes.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Domino has a special offer on the Franz Ferdinand - Tonight boxset, which is pretty good, although really more of a jukebox thing.

Don't know about the album itself though.

20 pounds.

http://www.dominorecordco.com/uk/albums/02-12-09/tonight-limited-edition-boxset/

quote:

PACKAGING

Board Mounted 7" Flip Top Box

CONTENTS
- The Album on CD & Across 6 x 7 inch singles
- Blood: Tonight: Dub Reggae Version of Album on CD
- Between Summertown & Merryland: DVD (40min doc on making of album + 4 filmed performances)
- 24 Page Hardback Booklet feat. Photos & Lyrics

- A "dink" to play the 7"s on standard record players

DVD SPEC
PAL: Regions 2 - 6

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's the Split Enz one:

I have a copy of this.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I have a copy of this.
Cool, keep us updated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Cool, keep us updated.

Alright, should I post it to the thread or just PM you? If you don't have PMs I can send you an email.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I have a copy of this.

Which version of the cover do you have, there's 8 versions apparently.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

Which version of the cover do you have, there's 8 versions apparently.

This one: http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/S/splitenz_truef.jpg

I knew there were different covers for that album, but I had no idea there were so many.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm guessing the playable etching isn't the same process that happened with the Split Enz record. If I understand Jack White correctly, it's not just that the grooves run through a laser etching, but rather, the groove is the etching itself. Which would be awesome if true.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Honestly can't tell if this an April Fools joke or not

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

I'd say it's a bit of both. It would be easy enough to do (just run-off some flexis and wack them into balloons), but they're having a laugh with their distribution method.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is it at all dangerous to leave my record player going for hours? Like if I fell asleep to an album? I always wanted to do that, but I worry about the record just getting hosed up or something cause my player doesn't auto-return.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

WASDF posted:

Is it at all dangerous to leave my record player going for hours? Like if I fell asleep to an album? I always wanted to do that, but I worry about the record just getting hosed up or something cause my player doesn't auto-return.

Your record will be fine but your stylus will wear out much quicker.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Assuming your record player has auto retract feature on the arm the stylus issues would be moot.

I've left mine on for hours because a record will end and I'll forget to flip it or think I've turned it off but left it on and it's never caused any trouble for me.

Aerobic Robot
Dec 11, 2007

ASK ME HOW I HAVE CRYING MELTDOWNS ABOUT BEING A GAY FURRY. PS, I'M 16 YEARS OLD
today i bought the rarest record ive ever owned

negativland - s/t
limited to 15k. released in 1980. each album has a different cover. #1196
bought it alongside helter stupid and a split between merzbow and S.B.O.T.H.I. at the pasadena record swap
totally worth the 35 dollars.

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Aerobic Robot posted:

today i bought the rarest record ive ever owned

negativland - s/t
limited to 15k. released in 1980. each album has a different cover. #1196
bought it alongside helter stupid and a split between merzbow and S.B.O.T.H.I. at the pasadena record swap
totally worth the 35 dollars.

I love you. If I can't find this at least somebody can enjoy it. Track 10, the album has no track titles, is worth that price alone on vinyl.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Invada pre-order just went up.

Picture discs, pink vinyl and black 180 grams, Oh My!

Doesn't seem like any of them are limited, so might as well go for the black or pink ones. Unless you really want to drop your needle on Ryan Gosling's face.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

$49 after shipping :negative: