Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'd like to hear this system.
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=280280

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Retarded Pimp posted:

Wow, a high end system where the user actually has a sizable collection of things to play on it.

Also the cartdige humidor is an interesting concept, I'd guess it's purpose is to stop the rubber cantilever suspension from drying out and ruining the cartridge. Clever if it works.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ron Burgundy posted:

Wow, a high end system where the user actually has a sizable collection of things to play on it.
Yeah 50 records for each turntable

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Farts Domino posted:

Yeah 50 records for each turntable

On closer inspection it appears to be 350 copies of the same Hi-Fi alignment test LP.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Just purchased an Audio-Technica 440MLA cartridge to replace a friend's worn out Goldring cartridge. Going to see how this turns out. I'm thinking of giving him my old home built Graham Slee Genera phono preamp to go with it. I'll tune the input capacitance and loading while I'm at it. This should be interesting since I haven't tried an AT cart before. I'll post my impressions.

The_Milkcat
Jul 25, 2009

Retarded Pimp posted:

Two years ago I walked into a store much like this in Zurich. They charged up to 100.000 euros worth for some of these turn tables. I wanted to give some a listen but I had to give prove that I was actually capable to pay for any of it (as I didnt dress like a posh dork) when I said I could provide my own vynil the guy freaked on me..

You really got to think to yourself though. Will anything ever sound any good still after you've heard a system that bares the value of a villa?

:P Think twice

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

The_Milkcat posted:

Two years ago I walked into a store much like this in Zurich. They charged up to 100.000 euros worth for some of these turn tables. I wanted to give some a listen but I had to give prove that I was actually capable to pay for any of it (as I didnt dress like a posh dork) when I said I could provide my own vynil the guy freaked on me..

You really got to think to yourself though. Will anything ever sound any good still after you've heard a system that bares the value of a villa?

:P Think twice

I've heard a few decent systems and still like the equipment I have, though one of these days I have to get a set of electrostats.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It looks like I'll be able to grab a Technics 1210 for $250 this weekend, what should I be on the lookout for as far as seeing if it's been maintained? I asked about the stylus replacement, and I know to make sure the spindle isn't wobbly and that everything moves smoothly, but that's about it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Generally the telltale signs of a hard life are:
  • Missing dust cover
  • Missing 45 rpm adapter
  • Prescence of a slipmat
  • Reversed Counterweight

But yeah nothing wobbles is pretty much it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Dumbledore 64 posted:

On Friday I came across a Dual 1228 table for $15, so I picked it up. The same night I saw a Sansui 881 for $30, so I picked that up this morning. I've been wanting something to occupy my time with this spring/summer so I plan to fully restore them both to pristine shape, or as close as I can get. I want to build a new wooden cabinet for the Dual as well. I am pretty excited because I hardly ever find decent gear for that kind of price. Anyway, here's my haul :)

Both are fully working, but need a very thorough cleaning.

Nice! That 881 looks like it just came out of the box. I got an 881 out of the electronic bin at the dump and it had this horrible hum whenever it was turned on. I managed to get rid of most of it by removing the ground cable, buffing the connection and then reattaching it. There is still a little bit of hum, but I'm going to replace the caps in it and that should bring it back to perfect, plus I'm thinking of replacing the wood on it with some nice walnut. How's yours sound? Those caps are probably pretty dry by now.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It definitely has a hum, though from reading the audiokarma forums, the 881 is notorious for persistent hums. I also found out that the tape monitor and FM muting buttons were replaced, they should be the same size as the ones next to them. Not a huge deal I suppose. Other than that, it sounds pretty great already. It looks like some work was done on the inside before, but I dunno if any caps were replaced. I intend to take a better look at it when I'm done restoring the turntable.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I'm wondering if the hum has anything to do with the speaker outputs running along the side of the huge-rear end transformer inside of it. I'm wondering what would happen if you temporarily removed the transformer, and used temp wire extensions to hook it up while it was outside the case.

Then again, 40 year old caps could easily be the culprit, but some people say the hum is still there after the change.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the few posts from people who managed to eliminate the hum involved rewiring a few things using twisted wires.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
You wouldn't happen to have a link handy?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
There's quite a few threads on the 881 hum, but this one, a guy seems to have solved it. Here's a direct link to the post: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3325361&postcount=12

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I decided to get into this record thing, so I picked up these at a pawn shop: Pioneer PL-15D turntable and Sansui RZ-7000 receiver. I had to order a new cartridge and belt for the turntable, so I don't even know if it's working. I can see the cam spinning, though, so at least it turns on.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
You're missing the stylus on your turntable, but luckily for you it's the super common Stanton body cartridge which has endless styli made for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I ordered a Shure cartridge, though I suppose I could have just gotten a stylus. Oh well.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

So, I finally got a Technics 1200 for home listening, and I plug it into my (previously unused) phono input on my Yamaha CA-410, but turns out that while all the other inputs are just dandy, my phono seems to be iffy. I have to jiggle the cords to make it come through both channels, and even then it doesn't stay all that well.

So, I was wondering what the most common culprit is? I plugged the turntable into the tuner input and both channels came through fine that time, but the phono seems to just not want to cooperate.

Here's an album of some pictures of the inside. Thanks for taking a look.

http://imgur.com/a/LzUYE

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Try cleaning the input RCA jacks and ground on the receiver and turntable, they look a bit cruddy. A pink eraser or 800 grit sand paper can get that stuff off the outside of the jacks so you get better contact. The inside's a tougher job, try finding a 1/8" dia. brass brush at a hardware store. Unfortunately, contact cleaner doesn't work too well on that stuff, but it doesn't hurt either.

If it still has problems after that, replace the cable or clean the plugs.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

There was really no crud on them, but I cleaned them again anyway. Unfortunately, no improvement.

Could the cable really be the problem though if I can plug it into, say, "Tuner" or "Tape 1 & 2" just fine and still get strong signal in each channel?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If you did that and it sounds fine through the other inputs then it's probably not the cable and most likely the jack itself. Maybe the internal contact is loose, maybe there's a bad solder connection on the board and you can reheat it.
IMO, unless you're going to fill up the other inputs and it sounds ok through them, then use it that way. If it doesn't get very loud, then you may need to use a separate phono preamp, since you're bypassing the amps internal one.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Installed and tested out the Audio-Technica 440MLA cartridge this afternoon. Sounded pretty darn good. Didn't really get enough time with it or hear it as it breaks in but I'd say it is worth the money at it's price point. I liked it better than my friend's Ortofon 2M Red which tends to sound a bit congested.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Basic Beater posted:

There was really no crud on them, but I cleaned them again anyway. Unfortunately, no improvement.

Could the cable really be the problem though if I can plug it into, say, "Tuner" or "Tape 1 & 2" just fine and still get strong signal in each channel?

Try some de-oxit, will work near miracles on old switches/inputs/pots.

Here is a handy guide on using it. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Doc Spratley posted:

Try some de-oxit, will work near miracles on old switches/inputs/pots.

Here is a handy guide on using it. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005
Yeah contact cleaner like De-Oxit is usually level one receiver rehabilitation

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Yep. Your receiver looks old and grimy. Get some pipe cleaners or some cheap small stiff brushes from the hardware store and buy DeOxit.

5oz of 5% deoxit is 10$ on amazon

The two pack of deoxit/deoxit gold at radio shack is 15$.. but it is only 1/2oz each... 15$/oz compared to 2$/oz on amazon...

DeOxit Gold is apparently tuned for gold plated connectors. I don't think its necessary, the contact cleaner is all you care about and brushing the crud off.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Not an Anthem posted:

That's messed up. You can balance the tonearm and set the antiskate if you don't have the little finger-lift attached? I mean, you can definitely use the table without it, but that little part would never effect things that much.

Can you take a few pictures of the tonearm, lift/lever and headshell/cart? The weight of that little lift is so unnoticeable you shouldn't really have to rotate the counterweight more than a hair unless I'm thinking of the wrong thing.

My experience with those orts is that they're "brighter" in that they sound very clean and loud, noticeably so more than other carts I've used. I like em, you get used to it, eventually switched back to grado's.

Basically, what was happening was that I was a total idiot.

The tonearm counterweight has a little catch where it kind of naturally sits. It's basically perfect if you're using a stock headshell, but I'm using a Sumiko headshell, which is 4g heavier. So I was trying to tweak the counterweight out of its indent, which wasn't working at all.

The solution was to fudge the zero by cranking the counterweight back. So my "zero" is -0.3g, so 2g indicated on the counterweight is giving me 1.7g in tracking force.

Conclusion: I am bad at turntables.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Cartridge talk time?

I've been chasing down resonance and vibration. The first bug I squashed was a low frequency hum at high volumes from undamped vibration from the speakers causing the turntable to vibrate (as diagnosed by it going away when I physically lifted the turntable up).

Solution: felt and floor spokes for the speakers, and if necessary new feet and/or isolation platform for the turntable.

Now, the cartridge, it annoys me, it's too bright. It got better after I aligned the drat thing (Baerwald?), but it's still obnoxious for the kind of music I listen to (hard rock / heavy metal). Was thinking about the Ortofon 2M series, until I realized that my effective tonearm mass is 16g, which is too heavy for high compliance carts. So what I need is something low to moderate conformance that won't cost the world. I'm thinking no more than £200 (what I paid for the turntable) and with a user replaceable stylus (so I don't cry when I gently caress it up).

It's a Technics SL1200 Mk2 if that matters from a shielding standpoint,

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

t-t-triple post!!

My Marantz PM6002 has only one working line level input. I do not like this state of affairs. Options are coming down to:

1. Fix the loving amp, plug a Sonos into it (eventually)
2. gently caress the entire concept of multiple inputs, pick up a Linn LK100 amp (and soon thereafter a second one and then shortly thereafter oh my god where did my money go)
3. Buy a completely different secondhand amp (I like the 70s with lots of things that light up and look pretty)

Help I have no idea what to do my decision is being entirely driven by this King Crimson 200g pressing it's so pretty

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

primitive posted:

Cartridge talk time?

I've been chasing down resonance and vibration. The first bug I squashed was a low frequency hum at high volumes from undamped vibration from the speakers causing the turntable to vibrate.
Wow, the 1200 is very heavy dampened, you must have had some serious resonance issues.

quote:

Now, the cartridge, it annoys me, it's too bright.
At the risk of sounding like I belong here 9 times out of 10 the sound will dull down by using the rubber mat that is made for this table rather than a slipmat which second hand ones almost universally have. If you are already using the rubber... :(

quote:

It got better after I aligned the drat thing (Baerwald?)
Actually, after trying all protractors, (I don't believe that Baerwald is appropriate for a 1200) I found that my best alignmnent (against all logic) came from using the Technics Overhang Gauge. That's right, for actual alignment too.

quote:

I realized that my effective tonearm mass is 16g, which is too heavy for high compliance carts.
An unfortunate limitation of the stock tonearm.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Wow, the 1200 is very heavy dampened, you must have had some serious resonance issues.

Yes it was strange. The speakers are floor standers and the turntable is on a very heavy wooden shelf that I had made out of pine. A resonance issue is the last thing I would expect, but I could feel the TT shaking so whatever, it's not just audiophile uniform farts. At least this time :)

Ron Burgundy posted:

At the risk of sounding like I belong here 9 times out of 10 the sound will dull down by using the rubber mat that is made for this table rather than a slipmat which second hand ones almost universally have. If you are already using the rubber... :(

Yea I'm using the rubber mat. I'm not quite ready to shell out for an expensive mat when I have a cartridge mismatched to my tonearm, a half-busted amp, and 70 quid speakers :)

Ron Burgundy posted:

Actually, after trying all protractors, (I don't believe that Baerwald is appropriate for a 1200) I found that my best alignmnent (against all logic) came from using the Technics Overhang Gauge. That's right, for actual alignment too.

Why not??

I am trying to use the protractor from here: http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

I did manage to get it aligned on the Sumiko headshell, no idea if it works for stock.

Ron Burgundy posted:

An unfortunate limitation of the stock tonearm.

I'm still fishing for recommendations, but it looks like

- putting my OM10 in a stock headshell puts me in the green
- putting something like a Sumiko Pearl or an AT120E in the Sumiko headshell I already have is also a decent option

I'm not planning on getting in the business of replacing my stock tonearm because :effort:

primitive fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 3, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

primitive posted:

Why not??

I am trying to use the protractor from here: http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

I did manage to get it aligned on the Sumiko headshell, no idea if it works for stock.

Yes, on that page it says;
"Also note that Technics arms do not use baerwald alignment as standard so you may have to offset the cartridge in the headshell in order to align with arc."

Of course with a 3rd party headshell this is all moot and YMMV. Maybe try a NOS Technics headshell?

quote:

I'm not planning on getting in the business of replacing my stock tonearm because :effort:

I Wouldn't bother.

quote:

- putting my OM10 in a stock headshell puts me in the green

FWIW, I could never get a OM5 or 10 to sound decent on a 1200.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Went to a car boot sale market over the weekend here in London and picked up a Sansui 222 mkV turntable for £40. At the time had no idea if I was getting a good deal or not, but the deck was in perfect condition and looks amazing (will post some picks up later).

It is missing a foot though, and I haven't tested it yet as I need to repair the power plug. Fingers crossed theres nothing majorly wrong with it.

On the hunt on ebay now for a receiver. For consistencies sake I'm on the look out for a Sansui receiver, and have my eye on one from the same era.

Aside from Sansui, any recommendations for a nice receiver to pair with this aside from the ones in the OP?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

If you want to stay vintage, any of these will do fine.
http://vintageelectronics.betamaxcollectors.com/vintageaudioequipmentgallery.html

Do you want or need FM? If not you could go with an integrated amp.
http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/2.htm

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

Ron Burgundy posted:

Yes, on that page it says;
"Also note that Technics arms do not use baerwald alignment as standard so you may have to offset the cartridge in the headshell in order to align with arc."

Of course with a 3rd party headshell this is all moot and YMMV. Maybe try a NOS Technics headshell?

Sumiko headshell had enough play for me to rotate the cartridge in the headshell to get it to align. Don't know about the stock headshell though, I'll find out when I get it in!

In other news, I emailed a local hifi shop asking for cart recommendations and their response was essentially "gently caress off and don't email again unless you want me to sell you a £700 Rega or a £1500 Linn." I would have thought specifying a £200 max would adequately indicate my intentions :(

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will a Shure M97xE fit on a standard SL-1800, and is it a good cartridge? I'm pretty sure my current cart is hosed up and it seems within my price range.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Stuntman posted:

Will a Shure M97xE fit on a standard SL-1800, and is it a good cartridge? I'm pretty sure my current cart is hosed up and it seems within my price range.

Yes and yes. I have it on my SL-1300 and it's great for the price.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Alright, I'm not very good at this sort of thing. We bought a Magnavox MCU061 setup off Craigslist. We brought a couple records along to give it a test spin, everything sounded great at the sellers place, we unhooked everything and brought it home, although rather poorly. The platter and belt fell off on the trip, I reassembled it and now everything is playing too fast, both 33 and 45, probably by about 10%.

What in the hell did I gently caress up and how do I unfuck it?

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Stuntman posted:

I have one on my 1200, great cart for the price.

Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced stylus for my v15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've read in passing that the N97 stylus is compatible with some versions of the v15, but which ones I couldn't say. Maybe call someone at Shure?