Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As far as I know, there were only three of them planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
So more new stuff this month or is that it until the summer season?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The six actual episodes or however many for this series is done. No new episodes til the summer.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Oliver is being reborn!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I am now watching the Botswana special again.

OLIVEEEEEERR!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
But Oliver was in the big rig challenge.

:confused:

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

ColHannibal posted:

But Oliver was in the big rig challenge.

:confused:

Nothing happened to Oliver though. Hamster forfeited rather than injure him.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oliver is being reborn!
hahahaha, this part is just surreal. What's the story with the 14 pink gnomes, was that a gag that hit the cutting room floor, or were they there through filming and nobody notices?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hey guys how's everyone been going? :)

Just posting to say that I just watched my first episode of American Top Gear, the episode where they take trucks across Alaska and I'm kicking myself for not watching this show sooner.

There's no new news about British Top Gear returning beyond summer/fall right?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

Hey guys how's everyone been going? :)

Just posting to say that I just watched my first episode of American Top Gear, the episode where they take trucks across Alaska and I'm kicking myself for not watching this show sooner.

There's no new news about British Top Gear returning beyond summer/fall right?

The last couple years of summer Top Gear have started in June.

So hopefully June.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Mister Kingdom posted:

Oliver is being reborn!

Jesus that looks like an easy project. That car is exceptionally clean.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Hypnolobster posted:

Jesus that looks like an easy project. That car is exceptionally clean.

After lurking AI, I've realised my threshold for "difficult" has become somewhat warped. When the article said: "But this time, Richard's decided to give Oliver a rather large and altogether more extensive restoration." I thought of a certain Ford Thames camper van and chuckled, which is incidentally when I realised that my standards had changed.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The last couple years of summer Top Gear have started in June.

So hopefully June.

http://www.finalgear.com/news/2012/05/08/top-gear-wont-return-until-2013/

:(

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Olympics :argh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Maybe they'll use the time to take a month long adventure in Yugos to cross the former USSR. (they've been just about everywhere else).

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The clear answer is a real cheap car across china, or maybe one across the great Australia. Or a 1500 dollar challenge across Canada (no car would make it)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I reckon we'll see another Ashes-type special, maybe with Top Gear US, and Top Gear Russia getting on board. Themed to go with the Olympics.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

sbaldrick posted:

The clear answer is a real cheap car across china, or maybe one across the great Australia. Or a 1500 dollar challenge across Canada (no car would make it)

A trans-Canada episode would be great, except it'd take too long to go from Saint Johns to Vancouver or the Alaskan border. I still want an Alcan Highway episode from either UK or US, that seems doable.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

simplefish posted:

I reckon we'll see another Ashes-type special, maybe with Top Gear US, and Top Gear Russia getting on board. Themed to go with the Olympics.
Well they had a winter Olympics special before, this would be the perfect time for a summer one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well the 400m dash would be quite familiar territory :v:

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Clarkson is saying on Twitter that there'll be a Christmas special and Top Gear will be back in January, after 'Cowell has finished his singing competition'.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

vote_no posted:

A trans-Canada episode would be great, except it'd take too long to go from Saint Johns to Vancouver or the Alaskan border. I still want an Alcan Highway episode from either UK or US, that seems doable.

Do the Dalton Highway as cheaply as possible. What could possibly go wrong?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yes! That or the Dempster Highway.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Pan-American Highway :colbert:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, let's see the guys get across the Darien Gap.

(Without it turning into a rehash of the Bolivia special.)

Totally love to see them do the Alaska Highway, though. Probably not the Dalton just because it ends very anticlimactically (oil rigs woo), plus we've all seen it on Ice Road Truckers. Dempster would be neat... but the Alcan itself probably has the best variety of terrain/scenery and opportunities for drama both along the way and at the end.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 9, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Agreed, and if they're like me they can make a big deal out of forest bison. I flipped my poo poo when I first ran into a buffalo herd in the dense pine forest before the pass. Definitely the last animal I expected to see.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Clarkson is saying on Twitter that there'll be a Christmas special and Top Gear will be back in January, after 'Cowell has finished his singing competition'.

Holy poo poo, I can't believe Jeremy Clarkson has a twitter account. I actually had to look it up to see if it was really him or not, and yep, it's totally him!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So, season 3 of Top Gear US starts filming on Sunday!

Also, Rutledge Wood totally answered my questions on Jalopnik.

quote:

Q1: "Are there any plans in the works to do a challenge with Top Gear UK?"

A1: Always,,..but don't know if it will happen any time soon."

Q2: JUST HOW awesome is plaid?"

A2: THE MOST AWESOME!

I couldn't help with the plaid thing. :allears:

(The best questions were asking why the hell his parents named him 'Rutledge' and making fun of his fake laugh)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

So, season 3 of Top Gear US starts filming on Sunday!
I really need to get my rear end to a taping considering it's down the street. I'll have to see if tickets are still available for this season.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, let's see the guys get across the Darien Gap.

(Without it turning into a rehash of the Bolivia special.)

Totally love to see them do the Alaska Highway, though. Probably not the Dalton just because it ends very anticlimactically (oil rigs woo), plus we've all seen it on Ice Road Truckers. Dempster would be neat... but the Alcan itself probably has the best variety of terrain/scenery and opportunities for drama both along the way and at the end.

I did Alaska Highway/Dempster Highway last year from Edmonton to Rock River Campground (like 50Km into the Arctic Circle) Would be a great concept; start them out in Dawson Creek (start of the Alaska Highway) and have them go to the Arctic Circle - about 2300Km. Northern BC has amazing driving roads that are scary as poo poo at dusk/night when all the wildlife comes out. Dempster was a bit surreal, it was rainy and foggy when we first got on it, and then there's just an endless expanse.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
They should also do the Alaska highway in cheap "people's cars"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

sbaldrick posted:

They should also do the Alaska highway in cheap "people's cars"
I don't know if Robins could survive that kind of trip. But I'd sure like to find out!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Top Gear US season 2 was great--I'm looking forward to the third season. I hope they drop the celebrity car race segment though--it just doesnt work when they only have 45 minutes for the show.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Dont know why they dont just do the Mongol Rally. Sub £1000 car with lower than 1ltr engines? Perfect excuse for them.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Bigsteve posted:

Dont know why they dont just do the Mongol Rally. Sub £1000 car with lower than 1ltr engines? Perfect excuse for them.

That or do Yet Another America Special for 24 Hours of LeMons.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

That or do Yet Another America Special for 24 Hours of LeMons.

US AND UK TEAMS!

Having both teams fight it out would be awesome over 24hrs.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Also, make it a two part special.

First hour is broken into two equal halves - the half is the UK team's vehicle selection, purchase, and subsequent build. The other half would be the US team's shot.

Of course for viewing purposes they'd be intertwined during editing. I just want equal time for each side to show some of the tom foolery involved in process.

The second special would be the race.

Simple and beautiful.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd consider "Drive across the opposition's country in £500/$800 cars", with the shorter distance to traverse for the US guys trying to cross the UK offset by the UK team letting Hammond set their route, and thus including "roads" like Stanage Edge:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

InitialDave posted:

I'd consider "Drive across the opposition's country in £500/$800 cars", with the shorter distance to traverse for the US guys trying to cross the UK offset by the UK team letting Hammond set their route, and thus including "roads" like Stanage Edge:

This is honestly the best thing that has even been thought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Sockington posted:

Also, make it a two part special.

First hour is broken into two equal halves - the half is the UK team's vehicle selection, purchase, and subsequent build. The other half would be the US team's shot.

Of course for viewing purposes they'd be intertwined during editing. I just want equal time for each side to show some of the tom foolery involved in process.

The second special would be the race.

Simple and beautiful.

Also make it war themed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqpJvey-7-s

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzumXyf2ueA

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 13, 2012