Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Does anybody in the UK remember those puzzle books where you were given a few options on what the solution was and you had to turn to the page no. given? The pages were about A4 size with big-rear end pictures on and your companion was a monkey. There was one set in a fairground where on one page you had to solve a puzzle because the monkey was on a roller-coaster that led into a big vat of acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Anyone remember this guy?

Cool Spot > Fido Dido forever, scrub.

How about some ultra-hyped nonsense that went nowehere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Z-Magic posted:

Does anybody in the UK remember those puzzle books where you were given a few options on what the solution was and you had to turn to the page no. given? The pages were about A4 size with big-rear end pictures on and your companion was a monkey. There was one set in a fairground where on one page you had to solve a puzzle because the monkey was on a roller-coaster that led into a big vat of acid.

I'm in the US, but that sounds like the one of the puzzle books from Usborne Publishing.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

Pseudonym posted:

Not only did we not mind a playing game created purely for product promotion, it was actually a very good game.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

The talk about Animorphs earlier (which I sadly never got into, despite the awesome covers) reminded me of this series (which I absolutely LOVED):

Each book was a collection of mini-mysteries, with Mr. Boddy always being killed in the last story (only to explain how he survived in the introduction of the next book). Most of the mysteries dealt with which one of the guests managed to get away with Boddy's latest treasure (all while trying to kill each other), usually through process of elimination, such as deducing each character by what weapon they have or their own unique personality quirks (Col. Mustard always challenged people to duels, Mrs. Peacock was extremely prim & proper, etc.). Heck, one of my favorite things to do was to get out our family's CLUE game and act out each story to aid in figuring the mystery out.

I can still remember how bummed I was when they stopped producing them (there were 18 books total, and I still have them on my bookshelf).

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

madlilnerd posted:

I don't remember which song it was, but I swear he did one with the best line ever: "Respect to the man in the ice cream van". Indeed Scooter, respect that Mr Whippy.

Given the genre of music and the time period that is probably a reference to the KLF who, among other things, drove an ice cream van for a period. KingBoy D and Rockman Rock do deserve your respect.

More can be learned about the teachings of the KLF by following this fun and informative thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472948

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I'm probably the only person who remembers Boogies Diner but I'd recommend it.

This thread is perfect for remembering things about the nineties that inevitably fell through my mind's bullshit filter. Thanks for helping me sully my mind with pointless idiotic nostalgia!

(I'd buy Commander Keen... but it wouldn't be the same anymore anyway. Saturday mornings are so much different now.)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Son Conan posted:

The talk about Animorphs earlier (which I sadly never got into, despite the awesome covers) reminded me of this series (which I absolutely LOVED):

Each book was a collection of mini-mysteries, with Mr. Boddy always being killed in the last story (only to explain how he survived in the introduction of the next book). Most of the mysteries dealt with which one of the guests managed to get away with Boddy's latest treasure (all while trying to kill each other), usually through process of elimination, such as deducing each character by what weapon they have or their own unique personality quirks (Col. Mustard always challenged people to duels, Mrs. Peacock was extremely prim & proper, etc.). Heck, one of my favorite things to do was to get out our family's CLUE game and act out each story to aid in figuring the mystery out.

I can still remember how bummed I was when they stopped producing them (there were 18 books total, and I still have them on my bookshelf).

I loved these books too! Then again I grew up watching the Clue movie so I always pictured the movie cast as the book characters.

DeKalb
May 30, 2007

Hecho en West Germany
Love, GP

madlilnerd posted:

I don't remember which song it was, but I swear he did one with the best line ever: "Respect to the man in the ice cream van". Indeed Scooter, respect that Mr Whippy.

It's Weeeeeeeekend!

I couldn't remember off the top of my head so I had to listen to 3 songs to find out which one it was...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPz65lR5abQ

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

Slavik posted:

I seemed to end up with a pack of Yikes pencils every year and always disliked that they used to snap so drat easy. They wrote very smoothly thoughly.

Couple of Childrens game shows, UK ones though I think the US had their own versions:

Fun House
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDLkbjfgSeU
I think it was one of the better childrens game shows for prizes, and the rounds always looked a lot of fun involving bungess, gunge, collecting and throwing messy things around on inflatables (though the go kart were so drat slow) And I didn't know anyone who didn't want to go in the Fun House at the end for all the prizes. Better than Christmas!

Just look at that Mullet! Good ol Pat Sharp (UK host)

Run the Risk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKbds_MkTY8&feature=relmfu
Another messy game show, lots of weird rounds, lots of gunge, running around and banter from the hosts (note Shane Richie from Eastenders fame). Always had a different and quirky final round making the teams dress up and complete an obstacle course or something. Used to be shown as part of Going Live!/Live & Kicking when Saturday mornings were filled with one long show. 3-4 hours of kickass childrens TV.

Finders Keepers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=137iNha13Bs
Nothing like a game show where you just trashed the place looking for clues and prizes, I always wondered if anyone if the crowd got wacked with flying debris and felt sorry for whoever had to clean up the place.

The Australian equivalent of these kids games shows would be A*Mazing. It was a routine for me to watch it every afternoon at 4 when I got home from school. So many Nintendo references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtroHjPhd-Q

Bili Rubin
Jun 29, 2005
Living Books!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqql0_ZyusM&feature=relmfu

I played this one every single Friday when I stayed at my grandparent's house.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The single most important demoscene video ever made:
http://youtu.be/XtCW-axRJV8

All done by hand in MSDOS, this predates Quake by about a year.

For reference this is a video from the same competition that that video won, 19 years later:
http://youtu.be/8MMwO8Mvqfs

And yet somehow the first video impresses me more.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 09:29 on Apr 2, 2012

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I'm in kuala lumpur. Sup fellow ASEAN.

I was quite young at the time but has anyone seek a particular book that was all about how to get good grades and be a totally cool person? It was probably one of the most 90s thing I could recall but I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

Why hello there fellow Malgoons! I don't really remember that one, but when it came to exams all the cool kids went to Kasturi tuition centre. I think more people went there to watch the lecturers monkey around than the tutoring.

As a kid in Malaysia back in the 90's you would definitely remember all the random poo poo that TV3 would throw on during the school holidays to keep our curious young minds sated. They would dredge up all sorts of retro flicks, b-grade drivel, foreign mindfuck films... At least sometimes they dropped one or two gems in there like Transformers the movie.

Also, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IuqSiABSs

The sea! Aliens!

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The single most important demoscene video ever made:
http://youtu.be/XtCW-axRJV8

All done by hand in MSDOS, this predates Quake by about a year.
State of the Art is the better exemplar of '90s camp, though.

Incidentally, considering that Second Reality came out in 1993, it predates Quake by close to three years.

devious pudding
Sep 8, 2008

Higly illogical, Captain.
How has this thread got to 17 pages and mention UK game shows without this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Maze

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

devious pudding posted:

How has this thread got to 17 pages and mention UK game shows without this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Maze

The Crystal Maze had the best out-takes.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Yoshi Jjang posted:

I had this when I was in 5th grade. Which one of you stole it? :colbert:
It was clearly used to create a sentient robot in the 16th century as a product of a failed time-travel quest to prevent the invention of coathangers, who helps root out future Hitler and his legion of mechanized nazi dinosaurs from his palace in Big Ben.

Which reminds me: 90s adventure games were pretty campy:

A friend gave me this game in middle school (~1999) because his computer was "too new to run it". You can currently run SCUMM engine games on any modern computer.

Dominoes has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Apr 2, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dominoes posted:

It was clearly used to create a sentient robot in the 16th century as a product of a failed time-travel quest to prevent the invention of coathangers, who helps root out future Hitler and his legion of mechanized nazi dinosaurs from his palace in Big Ben.

Whoa guys this ones just a bit too wacky for me :razz:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dominoes posted:

A friend gave me this game in middle school (~1999) because his computer was "too new to run it".

To be fair, Windows 98 was the first version to really start kicking DOS compatibility in the shins.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
I'm still pissed that The Adventures of Pete and Pete season 3 never got a DVD release. Watching the first 2 season, the show is better than I remember it being (and it was probably my favorite when it originally aired).

While The Wonder Years are more "aired in the late eighties early nineties" than "nineties", it holds up really well and is well worth watching on Netflix.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

thedouche posted:

I'm still pissed that The Adventures of Pete and Pete season 3 never got a DVD release. Watching the first 2 season, the show is better than I remember it being (and it was probably my favorite when it originally aired).

But there's no Artie in season 3, so what's the point?

"Farewell, my Little Viking" was one of the saddest episodes of TV for 12 year-old me. :smith:

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Skeleton Warriors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UmkWE6axVo
They're bad to the bone!

I actually still have a bunch of Skeleton Warriors figures in a box in my closet. I picked up a couple more a few years back and they're still in the package.

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

DrBouvenstein posted:

But there's no Artie in season 3, so what's the point?

"Farewell, my Little Viking" was one of the saddest episodes of TV for 12 year-old me. :smith:
Losing Artie was definitely a blow to my childhood self, but I think the way they handled his exit was clever and appropriately bittersweet. You see, Pete was growing into a young man that could handle his own conflicts, so he didn't need Artie anymore and :smith::hf::smith:

Most of the cast and crew have had a couple of reunions over the past few months. The Blowholes even reunited to perform the classics. AV Club article (with videos).

Pete and Pete wikipedia entry posted:

The 2011 Los Angeles reunion was billed by the Cinefamily as the "KrebStar Film Festival," a reference to the shows own brand. Additionally many products from the show were available, including Krebex, Kreb Scout Cookies, a KrebStore 24, and Krebgate Toothpaste. Staff members handed out "performance-enhanced" Orange Lazarus.

Dammit, an Orange Lazarus would really hit the spot right about now.

I've met Toby Huss (Artie) when he was doing improv at a small theater a few years ago and he really is as amazing to be around as you would imagine. He's pretty much a kindly ball of human dynamism and jokes. I've run into famous folk before, but meeting him was the only time I really, really had to fight the urge not to geek out and quote his own words back at him. "Soon you will be like Cheese, boy: melty, melty, melty!"

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Whoa guys this ones just a bit too wacky for me :razz:
I'm going to laugh if anyone gets the reference.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

VoilaIntruder posted:

Losing Artie was definitely a blow to my childhood self, but I think the way they handled his exit was clever and appropriately bittersweet. You see, Pete was growing into a young man that could handle his own conflicts, so he didn't need Artie anymore and :smith::hf::smith:

Most of the cast and crew have had a couple of reunions over the past few months. The Blowholes even reunited to perform the classics. AV Club article (with videos).

Dammit, an Orange Lazarus would really hit the spot right about now.

I've met Toby Huss (Artie) when he was doing improv at a small theater a few years ago and he really is as amazing to be around as you would imagine. He's pretty much a kindly ball of human dynamism and jokes. I've run into famous folk before, but meeting him was the only time I really, really had to fight the urge not to geek out and quote his own words back at him. "Soon you will be like Cheese, boy: melty, melty, melty!"
Did you at least use the word "pipe"?

VoilaIntruder
Aug 13, 2007
Voila Intruder, and he's brandishing two sticks.

thedouche posted:

Did you at least use the word "pipe"?

No, but he definitely did in response to another fan shouting out quotes. My initial interaction with him was "thanks for being Artie" and a hug :) I was plenty happy to listen to him tell crazy stories to my friends.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

I don't think I've seen any mention of Big Break, the Saturday night snooker-based quiz show hosted by a cheeky cockney wife-beating racist.

Derringer
Mar 17, 2008

I didn't see anyone post this but this took a good chunk of my young life up
Pirates of Dark Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_5F1zYQF5M
Ren is like a manly Link.

Derringer has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Apr 3, 2012

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Sombrerotron posted:

State of the Art is the better exemplar of '90s camp, though.

Incidentally, considering that Second Reality came out in 1993, it predates Quake by close to three years.

The most 90s demo is Jesus on E's

No, wait, it's Jesus on Cheese

(possibly not a good idea if you have epilepsy. Or have strong views about crude drawings of Our Lord J. Christ being cheerfully crucified on a swiss-cheese cross)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Derringer posted:

I didn't see anyone post this but this took a good chunk of my young life up
Pirates of Dark Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_5F1zYQF5M
Ren is like a manly Link.
Loved Pirates of Dark Water. It was so atmospheric and mysterious.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
Please help me remember the name of this show, here are bullet points:

• Very late '80s early '90s possibly PBS
• It taught you how to draw fantasy/sci-fi stuff
• There was a huge piece of paper and the host would draw all these tiny flying machines and and whimsical floating tree things.
• All the drawings were black marker only

Name that show.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Dominoes posted:

This is just like the '90s: been there, done that. Or something to that effect.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

thedouche posted:

Dance, Petunia, dance.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Deacon of Delicious posted:

This is just like the '90s: been there, done that. Or something to that effect.
Yea - "Time Gentlemen, Please", the sequel to "Ben There, Dan That", a throwback to 90s Lucasarts adventure games.

Disco Tits
Jan 11, 2012

See you at the Discotheque
This gem..

Carmageddon!

Still own it luckily enough

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Blood Magnet posted:

Please help me remember the name of this show, here are bullet points:

• Very late '80s early '90s possibly PBS
• It taught you how to draw fantasy/sci-fi stuff
• There was a huge piece of paper and the host would draw all these tiny flying machines and and whimsical floating tree things.
• All the drawings were black marker only

Name that show.

The Secret City Adventures and later Imagination Station, with "Commander" Mark Kistler.

Taught me everything I know :)

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Nurse posted:

This gem..

Carmageddon!

Still own it luckily enough

I have it and the sequel though haven't tried running them on Win 7.

I like the sequel for its slightly better graphics and because I could crush cars and split then in half.

I even modified the gold Eagle to have a weight of 50 tons and a softness factor of 0

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Masonic Youth posted:

The Secret City Adventures and later Imagination Station, with "Commander" Mark Kistler.

Taught me everything I know :)

Dammit I'm too late to post this. I'd been thinking of the show lately myself but I couldn't remember the name, but then it just dawned on me with Blood Magnet's post. It's where I first learned about tapering!

Here, have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tK70tHKhME

MerchantOfChaos
Jun 6, 2010

by Smythe
Anyone in this thread who says they've never put a significant amount of time into trying to either A) take ridiculous measures to find the Triforce in Ocarina of Time, B) left Tomb Raider on for 24 hours to see Lara Croft naked, or C) tried to move that goddamn truck in every way possible to find Mew is a liar. :colbert:

Speaking of, if you want to check out a good piece frozen-in-time internet I reccomend this site: http://vgchat.info/vgx/

Contains every ridiculous urban legend on how to get the Triforce in Zelda 64, a Final Fantasy 7 FAN SHRINE with your choice of frames or no frames, as well as exclusive news on how :krad: the Nintendo 64 DOUBLE D is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Jesus, I had a notebook filled with ideas and theories on how to find the triforce. On the cover scribbled in gel pen was the title "The search for the triforce" Not only was it filled with every myth on how to find it in Ocarina of Time, but Majora's Mask, theories on where the goddesses would keep it and why, and a bunch of other lore spun in to crazy rants of a preteen kid.

Ball Tazeman has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Apr 3, 2012

• Locked thread