Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

savinhill posted:

I'm worried that the new season will suck every time I hear they're adding non-book poo poo to it, especially considering some of the absolutely horrible screenplays that Benoiff guy has written. He even made Achilles suck.
But he also wrote what was arguably the best episode of last season (Baelor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

savinhill posted:

I'm worried that the new season will suck every time I hear they're adding non-book poo poo to it

On the flip side, if they completely replace books 4-5 with non book stuff, it may actually be tolerable.

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
Speaking of homosexuality, we can't forget Xaro and the slave boys he is so fond of. On his pleasure barge.

And the enslaved hermaphrodite in the freak tent. Gurm let her be the #1 freak :allears:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dead Man Posting posted:

This is great. I mean Renly won't even be the biggest upset this season.

I honestly have no clue what happens in ACOK that'll top Renly getting murdered by a shadowbaby in front of Catelyn.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I've only read the last page or so of the tviv thread and saw some poo poo about putting ponies in the show and to make it better...

What's going to cause them to start raging in this season? I want to see some goon tears over the next couple of months.

Hashtag Nascar fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 2, 2012

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Joramun posted:

But he also wrote what was arguably the best episode of last season (Baelor).
Could you please not bring logic into this when I'm trying to be negative and poo poo?

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Factor_VIII posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't put it past GRRM to have Syrio suddenly appear out of nowhere in a later novel (in an alternater reality where more ASOIAF books come out).

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Eddard_Stark/Theories :getin:

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Eltrollo posted:

I've only read the last page or so of the tviv thread and saw some poo poo about putting ponies in the show and to make it better...

What's going to cause them to start raging in this season? I want to see some goon tears over the next couple of months?

Renly getting killed by a magic demon shadowbaby, maybe a fakeout murder of Bran and Rickon by Theon, maybe they'll be sad about Qhorin Halfhand getting killed if he ends up being a cool character in the show.

Still won't be anything compared to Season 3/4/whenever the Red Wedding is.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
It would be pretty funny if GRRM brought back Ned. It would show he really doesn't give a gently caress anymore. Then again GRRM is the American Tolkien apparently and Tolkien did bring back Gandalf. Time for a countdown until Eddard the White, the reincarnation of Azor Ahai, appears?

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
That loving thread. If someone reports a post instead of PMing the three allowable people, do they get banned? Do they live in constant fear of having a precious tv moment ruined? Serious business.

Also is the OP a serious My Little Pony fan?

Maytag fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 2, 2012

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Factor_VIII posted:

Then again GRRM is the American Tolkien apparently and Tolkien did bring back Gandalf.

Gandalf "died" offscreen. If anything, that would be a strong case for Syrio.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Maytag posted:

That loving thread. If someone reports a post instead of PMing the three allowable people, do they get banned?

This is why I'm avoiding the TVIV threads like the plague this year. Hell that one OP is really well done in there, but anything beyond that I'm not going to touch. They've been lovely all year long, I don't think they're going to change any time soon.

It's nice being in a thread where screaming "JON SNOW GET'S STABBED" doesn't have any repercussions. I wonder if Doctor Thodt will return this year.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Factor_VIII posted:

It would be pretty funny if GRRM brought back Ned. It would show he really doesn't give a gently caress anymore. Then again GRRM is the American Tolkien apparently and Tolkien did bring back Gandalf. Time for a countdown until Eddard the White, the reincarnation of Azor Ahai, appears?

1- Gandalf didn't die on screen, he was abandoned holding a pass

2- though unknown to the readers at the time, in Tolkien's mind Gandalf was never of the mortal race of men, but instead an immortal archangel, thus his death wasn't even really a fake out so much as the silly hobbits who didn't know better being confused

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Syrio is a closer approx. to Gandalf.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Contra Calculus posted:

This is why I'm avoiding the TVIV threads like the plague this year. Hell that one OP is really well done in there, but anything beyond that I'm not going to touch. They've been lovely all year long, I don't think they're going to change any time soon.

It's nice being in a thread where screaming "JON SNOW GET'S STABBED" doesn't have any repercussions. I wonder if Doctor Thodt will return this year.

I have no idea why anyone would purposefully want to spoil things for the TV-only audience anyway. Aside from being a complete rear end in a top hat, I guess.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Nimec posted:

Speaking of homosexuality, we can't forget Xaro and the slave boys he is so fond of. On his pleasure barge.

And the enslaved hermaphrodite in the freak tent. Gurm let her be the #1 freak :allears:

I believe Lyn Corbray was also into the whole "little boy" thing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Azure_Horizon posted:

I have no idea why anyone would purposefully want to spoil things for the TV-only audience anyway. Aside from being a complete rear end in a top hat, I guess.

Yeah, it's much more fun to watch people react and speculate.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah man, it's so awful not being able to go into a thread where people who haven't read/don't want to read the books and spoiling major events for them. What assholes those moderators in the TVIV are.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like watching the guys who have read the books try to bait the non-readers down lines of reasoning to get them to spoilers. "DID YOU SEE MELISANDRE'S BROOCH GLOW!? I THINK THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING MORE TO HER THAN WE THINK. WASN'T THAT SUBTLE YOU GUYS?"

I kid. I kid cause I love.

Renly, Robb, Catelyn, and Joffery all loving die.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Crossposting from the TVIV Spoiler thread:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Krazyface posted:

That is glorious.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We need a good term for the Syrio Truthers who're gonna explain that away.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

whowhatwhere posted:

We need a good term for the Syrio Truthers who're gonna explain that away.
Not-todayers?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Krazyface posted:

OR DID HE

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Arnold of Soissons posted:

OR DID HE

Yes, he did :colbert:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Well according to :biotruths: the Braavosi have reduntant sets of organs and the ability to asexually respawn at a different spawn point nearby.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Azure_Horizon posted:

I worded that badly. I meant I am glad I'm in a thread that isn't full of new people where I could accidentally spoil them without realizing it. (Also, it sucked answering for newbies last year because they would ask poo poo that couldn't be answered without spoiling poo poo).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Melisandre and Stannis were perfect.

As was Varys' "this letter is from Tywin" smug little jab at Cersei.

And of course I could watch Joffrey being slapped all day.

Also, nice work on the Grey Wind cgi.

Other than Dany being devastatingly boring, it was an ok ep.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Other than Dany being devastatingly boring, it was an ok ep.

You say this like it was a change of pace. GRRM has literally had to give her, in order-- a witch, loving dragons, an Exodus metaphor, a House of Hallucination Horrors, and a loving army of Eunuchs and still finds him writing her bent over, making GBS threads water and pining for ~~Daario~~.

Well, ok that last bit is kind-of understandable, but the rest stands!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Besides, she was only boring for two scenes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Am I wrong for thinking that the albino raven signalling the end of the long summer is early? And that the tv show is hyper accelerated from the books? Are we gonna get berry shits for the end of the second season?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm glad HBO hasn't hosed this up. It's the only chance I have to find out how it ends.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Am I wrong for thinking that the albino raven signalling the end of the long summer is early? And that the tv show is hyper accelerated from the books? Are we gonna get berry shits for the end of the second season?

No, there was a white raven in the prologue of the book

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Desert Bus posted:

I'm glad HBO hasn't hosed this up. It's the only chance I have to find out how it ends.

I'm curious what they'll do with the show if (when) it's time for the TWoW season and TWoW the book isn't out (although HBO has been known to take year+ hiatuses before).

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Ross posted:

I'm curious what they'll do with the show if (when) it's time for the TWoW season and TWoW the book isn't out (although HBO has been known to take year+ hiatuses before).

I'm thinking the show would have diverged so much by then that they could just end it how they want.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

If I understand correctly, there are end of summer ravens and end of fall ravens, these are just the end of summer ravens.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Ross posted:

Can't wait for Brann's actor to pull a Ron Weasley and activate a gene that makes him bigger than Hodor in a few years.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

I remember losing harvesting time during all the wars being a major thing in the first few books, so they did know that winter was imminent by then. I don't remember it being the way the show did it though.

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
MY DRAGONS! :suicide:

It really did seem like they are speeding it up waaay too fast. I can't imagine why, they'll just have to add lots of filer when they catch up to gurm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

When Carcetti was getting accosted by Cersei, they ended that scene by focusing on the little boy scrubbing the floor. Think they'll go into Varys' subplot in more detail than the books?

On Varys: Aegon is a Blackfyre, and Illyrio and Varys are playing a larger version of their early con; stealing a kingdom and selling it back to those they stole it from.