Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Dolphin Fetus posted:

God I hope it comes out on ps3 and not wii.

They started making P5 immediately after they finished P3P in Fall 2009, and it was at least initially designed for the PS3. Of course, who knows what's happened to it in the past two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Douche Bag posted:

Is it necessary to keep your characters roughly the same level in Persona 4? Two of mine (Kanji and Teddie) are way behind everyone else and I don't really feel like taking the time to grind out levels for them. Just wondering if it's gonna bite me in the rear end down the road

Nope. You can select a party and stick with it for the rest of the game if you want. It won't bite you in the rear end beyond maybe having a party with some unfortunate weaknesses or something.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Douche Bag posted:

(Kanji and Teddie) are way behind everyone else

You monster

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Fungah! posted:

You monster

Teddie seems kinda redundant since I can use Chie for frost spells. I have no excuse for letting Kanji get behind though

Anyway, what is with Atlus and releasing Persona games at the end of a consoles lifetime? That has got to hurt sales.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Douche Bag posted:

Teddie seems kinda redundant since I can use Chie for frost spells. I have no excuse for letting Kanji get behind though

Anyway, what is with Atlus and releasing Persona games at the end of a consoles lifetime? That has got to hurt sales.

Teddie gets all ice spells, Chie never breaks past Mabufu.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
One of the best parts of the Persona 4 Endurance Run was seeing Jeff and Vinny come to the slow, heart-breaking realization that mid-late-mid game Chie is kind of poo poo. It's great that she becomes usable again at, uh, lv 70? or whatever it was, but god drat are the 40-50 levels inbetween rough.

Ravana
Jan 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alteisen posted:

Teddie gets all ice spells, Chie never breaks past Mabufu.

Who the hell uses Chie for magic? She's there for Galactic Punt, and consequently should never, ever leave your team.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ravana posted:

Who the hell uses Chie for magic?

Douche Bag posted:

Teddie seems kinda redundant since I can use Chie for frost spells.

People who don't realize how awesome Teddie is are the ones who use Chie for magic. :colbert:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Teddie has the two most useful buffs and gets Mediarama and Mediarahan at lower levels than Yukiko. He's pretty good.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
Yeah, Teddie is probably the best jack-of-all-trades party member in the game. He learns good healing and buff skills earlier than most characters and can dish out some decent damage as well.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
He kind of has to be too given how they changed the upgraded persona system. On my first playthrough I was way too late to realize this and only had 2 upgraded personas on my team, so I ended up taking Teddie for my last slot and was very happy with him. Can't stand the footsteps though.

I really thought they were going to upgrade through plot again.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Justice posted:

They started making P5 immediately after they finished P3P in Fall 2009, and it was at least initially designed for the PS3. Of course, who knows what's happened to it in the past two years.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/15/the-giant-list-of-third-party-3ds-games/

Persona has been listed as a coming 3DS title for two years now. All we got out of that list so far is Devil Survivor : Overclocked, but if the things about time tables are true, you never know.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Rascyc posted:

Can't stand the footsteps though.

Oh my God, I had managed to forget about that. Now I'm going to be hearing it in my head all night. :catstare:

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I've heard rumors of the dreaded Beldr fight in the first Devil Survivor game: how would one build a character as to not completely gimp themselves for the fight? I want a magic oriented MC, but do I have to put points into Strength?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
7-10 points should see you through comfortably.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
You don't need strength for Beldr, the Devil's Fuge is level based. However you will want at least 8 strength so the MC can equip Holy Dance and Blitzkrieg.

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
I beat that fight recently, and I feel like I kind of cheesed it (and still barely won). What I did was use that race that lets you attack twice, because there's no other way to beat that fight than brute force, so you might as well bring as much as you can. I still only barely had two teams left and monsters surrounding me when I finished it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Also, don't fully kill the enemy teams. Leave the leaders alive. The boss will resurrect them if they're dead. Also, when the leaders are out of mp, they can only flail uselessly at you.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.
Also, as long as only the MC's party is in range, he'll only attack the MC, giving you more chances to hurt him between castings of Vampire Mist.

The first time I fought him, I managed to just barely bring him down to low HP before a resurrected Cait Sith team and Vampire Mist restored him to full. The next time, knowing what to expect, I killed him before he could even revive his minions for the first time. It's one of those battles where knowing the unique mechanics of the boss is far more important than the perfect stat build or your precise stable of demons.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A demon with double up and something with Chaos wave ,will get you through the dreaded Beldr fight easily.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, that's similar to what I did. I used a chokepoint team that was built to tank Beldr and I just stood behind that team and used chaos wave over like two or three turns to take him down.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alteisen posted:

A demon with double up and something with Chaos wave ,will get you through the dreaded Beldr fight easily.

...Can you even fuse your first Vile demon that early? I know Dragons are available that early, but I don't recall Orcus showing up by the Beldr fight, and it's the first. Of course, it's a good strat for NG+, but I dunno how usable it is otherwise.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

KataraniSword posted:

...Can you even fuse your first Vile demon that early? I know Dragons are available that early, but I don't recall Orcus showing up by the Beldr fight, and it's the first. Of course, it's a good strat for NG+, but I dunno how usable it is otherwise.

Pretty sure you can have a basilisk by that point, I don't remember what demon I was using, I just know I could attack from 2 squares away.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alteisen posted:

Pretty sure you can have a basilisk by that point, I don't remember what demon I was using, I just know I could attack from 2 squares away.

That's a Dragon, not a Vile. You were using Evil Wave (which is really just as good for the situation.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King of Solomon posted:

That's a Dragon, not a Vile. You were using Evil Wave (which is really just as good for the situation.)

Oh yea, cause Chaos is 3 spaces right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Alteisen posted:

Oh yea, cause Chaos is 3 spaces right?

Yeah. Chaos Breath (I'm not sure if that's in DS1, but it's the upgraded form) increases it to four, and Evil Flow (upgraded Evil Wave) adds an activated ability (for some MP cost) that lets you hit from six spaces. Also, I'm pretty sure it has a less severe turn slowdown than Chaos Breath does.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah. Chaos Breath (I'm not sure if that's in DS1, but it's the upgraded form) increases it to four, and Evil Flow (upgraded Evil Wave) adds an activated ability (for some MP cost) that lets you hit from six spaces. Also, I'm pretty sure it has a less severe turn slowdown than Chaos Breath does.

The slowdown isn't as much the issue - the fact that Chaos Wave reduces your movement range by 1 is more the reason that Dragons are typically better than Viles.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KataraniSword posted:

The slowdown isn't as much the issue - the fact that Chaos Wave reduces your movement range by 1 is more the reason that Dragons are typically better than Viles.

Nevertheless, it is a pretty big issue, particularly with how DS2 seems to stack the turn order against you when you don't have a Vile. Besides, you can get around the movement range decrease with a Wilder if it's that much of a concern.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

In DS1, viles are probably better since they have better stats and higher level demons for the end game and the same adjusted range (3 move plus 3 range vs move plus 2 range). In 2, Evil Flow is just plain better than Chaos Breath so dragons are the better option.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

King of Solomon posted:

Nevertheless, it is a pretty big issue, particularly with how DS2 seems to stack the turn order against you when you don't have a Vile.

It wouldn't surprise me if Viles were somehow bugged when used by the enemy and get faster turns instead of slower. I mean when I watch a team with a Vile get 3 turns to my units 1 turn I really think something's up.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's because they're not moving and your "counter attack" (which you don't actually get in most cases!) counts against you too. That's real culprit of everyone's complaints about the turn system.

On the topic of DS2, why do all the police officers look like vampires or whatever?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rascyc posted:

On the topic of DS2, why do all the police officers look like vampires or whatever?

Because Index was lazy and used the "evil/corrupt police" portrait for any and all officers.

It's the same reason why any non-thug NPC looks like you beat their puppy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Were they recycled from DS1? It's been forever since I touched DS1 so I honestly couldn't remember. I figured that was the case.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rascyc posted:

Were they recycled from DS1? It's been forever since I touched DS1 so I honestly couldn't remember. I figured that was the case.

Maps and portraits are recycled by the truckload.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Am I the only person who thought Beldr was the most bullshit point in the game? That bastard made me quit the game years ago and I only picked it back up relatively recently.

I mean by that early your roster is going to be lackluster at best, grinding means running into dozens of annoying healers, and then there's vampire mist. Oh and he's like 10 levels above you unless you've been grinding, which as previously noted is a chore at that point.

It did get hairy a few times after that Flames of Sodom :argh: but once Atsuro has Pierce and Deathbound you can murder the hell out of anything lacking Phys Repel.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TK-31 posted:

Am I the only person who thought Beldr was the most bullshit point in the game? That bastard made me quit the game years ago and I only picked it back up relatively recently.

I mean by that early your roster is going to be lackluster at best, grinding means running into dozens of annoying healers, and then there's vampire mist. Oh and he's like 10 levels above you unless you've been grinding, which as previously noted is a chore at that point.

It did get hairy a few times after that Flames of Sodom :argh: but once Atsuro has Pierce and Deathbound you can murder the hell out of anything lacking Phys Repel.

That's probably the most patently unfair. I'd argue that trying to let Mari-Kresnik kill Kudlak is more bullshit, though, considering there's a myriad of different things that can go wrong that are entirely out of your control (Kaido killing Kudlak, Kudlak killing Kaido, Kudlak killing Mari, Kudlak escaping before you have a chance to pen him in, Mari being a drat idiot and never doing any damage...)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

WrightOfWay posted:

In DS1, viles are probably better since they have better stats and higher level demons for the end game and the same adjusted range (3 move plus 3 range vs move plus 2 range). In 2, Evil Flow is just plain better than Chaos Breath so dragons are the better option.

Does Evil Flow stack with Chaos Breath? I'm assuming not, but having 8 attack range would be pretty amazing.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Yay! Devil Survivor 2 arrived in the mail today! :j:

I've played for two hours, and it's already managed to shock me: The game is not over if the Main Character dies in battle. That's blasphemy; this is a Shin Megami Tensei game!

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Catalina posted:

I've played for two hours, and it's already managed to shock me: The game is not over if the Main Character dies in battle. That's blasphemy; this is a Shin Megami Tensei game!

It'll still kick your rear end in new ways, don't worry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Catalina posted:

In 1 not only does the game not end when the MC dies, but dead characters still get XP at the end of a stage :monocle: