Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Jonnymonster posted:

You're not talking about the last cafe are you?
Basically behind all the open air massage joints.

That'd be it wouldn't it?

Last time I was walking along that strip to the left I saw this ad, wish I'd enquired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Also:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303404704577308804188361084.html?mod=WSJ_Currencies_LEFTTopNews

So now you will be able to get more than 6 kyat to the dollar at the airport.

Its nice to see the country start to right itself and push off in the right direction. On the other hand, part of me is sad because this will be the initial herald of the tourists hoards which will soon descend on the place.

I talked to two people who went to Myanmar within the last two months. They both said you can now change money at banks for better-than-black-market rates (crazy!), and one of them said he left after two days (basically only saw Shwedegan Pagoda) because guesthouses were craaaaaaazy booked up. It's the new hotness after Hillary's visit and all the opening up and all that, I guess.

EDIT: bonus points if you can guess why i'm posting at 5:15am

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 28, 2012

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

brendanwor posted:

That'd be it wouldn't it?

Last time I was walking along that strip to the left I saw this ad, wish I'd enquired

What is the experiment? :raise:
"We will embark on a relaxed journey to the straits of Malacca where we will drop anchor and negotiate the release of passengers through each crew members applicable government organisation"

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

eviljelly posted:

I talked to two people who went to Myanmar within the last two months. They both said you can now change money at banks for better-than-black-market rates (crazy!), and one of them said he left after two days (basically only saw Shwedegan Pagoda) because guesthouses were craaaaaaazy booked up. It's the new hotness after Hillary's visit and all the opening up and all that, I guess.

EDIT: bonus points if you can guess why i'm posting at 5:15am

Yangon definitely didn't have much of any accommodation for backpackers when I was there. Mandalay was even worse. All the westerners I saw in tower were staying at this one place (royal guest house). Bagan there was a ton though...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brendanwor posted:

If they're looking for passengers they'd probably want you to pay; if you've got a modicum of sailing skills you can get free rides across the Pacific/around the world without too much trouble, lots of yacht owners could use an extra hand or two.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

brendanwor posted:

Naturist? In SE Asia? Is that even legal? :v:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Jonnymonster posted:

You're not talking about the last cafe are you?
Basically behind all the open air massage joints.

There you go, that's the one!

Doogie Howser M.D.
Nov 24, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If they're looking for passengers they'd probably want you to pay; if you've got a modicum of sailing skills you can get free rides across the Pacific/around the world without too much trouble, lots of yacht owners could use an extra hand or two.

Saw the exact same flyers on the island of Koh Tao, Thailand. Sounds interesting..

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
When you show up at the dock there'll be no boat and an Indian guy standing there saying, "Do you know why you're lucky today, sir?!"

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Helmacron posted:

Sure, caberham. I'm here until the 1st, then Cambodia. Probably. I dunno. But yeah definitely here until the first.

caberham posted:

Helma and other goons, anyone up for a goon meet this weekend in bkk? I will be there Saturday morning, flying into krabi in a few hours. I'm the boss of a eight bed dormitory so I'm just stealing all the power plugs to charge my devices.

Anyways hope I enjoy krabi.... Alone

I am down to meet up Saturday. Just need to get some last few supplies for Koh Tao. Where's good to meet up?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Hibajubwa posted:

I am down to meet up Saturday. Just need to get some last few supplies for Koh Tao. Where's good to meet up?

Hello, I'm back in Bangkok today (31st) probably sometime late afternoon (when I stop making GBS threads everywhere).

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
EDIT: Sigh.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 1, 2012

spittoon
May 15, 2009
Heading to Cambodia later this week for Songkran (I live in Chiang Mai and while it's a blast up here, want to do something different this year). I'm gonna do SR and PP, but also want to get some beach time in. Any recommendations? Little bit of a party scene is ok, but really looking for someplace relaxing and not too crowded for a couple of days.
Anyone else gonna be in Cambo next week?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Fun times goons, wish a Helma was here. I'm getting old but I don't know why I find khao san can be charming. It's nice without being embarrassed when you are tipsy and getting a massage in the street after some clubbing.

On another note, amphawa is a bit far away from Bangkok, an hour and half drive, but the riverside market beats all the other trust floating market. Actual Thai go to amphawa and lots of handcrafts,wat pilgramage tours, and cheap fifty baht plates of seafood

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was in Cambodia once upon a Songkran. On one hand, Cambodia is cool. On the other April is sickeningly hot and for some reason Cambodian families give their kids whistles for Songkran and take them to Angkor so it's all TWEE TWEE TWEE o hey what a cool temple TWEE TWEE TWREEEEEEE nice buddha TWEE TWEEE TWEEE my motosai guy is still there right ah okay TWEEE TWEEEEEEEE

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

ReindeerF posted:

When you show up at the dock there'll be no boat and an Indian guy standing there saying, "Do you know why you're lucky today, sir?!"

"I'll bet you 1000 baht I can tell you what your mother's name is"

I did ask him why i'd pay for someone to tell me what my mother's name was but the irony was either lost on him, or he didn't want to indulge in the intricacies of his little farang scam...

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Jonnymonster posted:

"I'll bet you 1000 baht I can tell you what your mother's name is"

I did ask him why i'd pay for someone to tell me what my mother's name was but the irony was either lost on him, or he didn't want to indulge in the intricacies of his little farang scam...

Had one Indian dude on Sukhumvit try to pull that one on me, he gave up after I responded in Thai that I bet he wouldn't be able to since my mother has a Thai name.

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

brendanwor posted:

Had one Indian dude on Sukhumvit try to pull that one on me, he gave up after I responded in Thai that I bet he wouldn't be able to since my mother has a Thai name.

It wasn't out the front of the McDonalds/Service Station on the Cnr Sukhumvit and Soi 4 was it?

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

Jonnymonster posted:

It wasn't out the front of the McDonalds/Service Station on the Cnr Sukhumvit and Soi 4 was it?

Haha what. Close by, out the front of the Marriott @ Sukhumvit 2. Same guy?

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

brendanwor posted:

Haha what. Close by, out the front of the Marriott @ Sukhumvit 2. Same guy?

Did he have really really creepy green eyes? When he spoke to me it was like he was looking into my soul :aaa:

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
While I have been dragged to a tailor once, I haven't encountered that scam before. What's it all about?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Fiskenbob posted:

While I have been dragged to a tailor once, I haven't encountered that scam before. What's it all about?
LUCKY MAN!!!

They basically try to trick you into letting them tell your fortune based on the fact that they're wearing turbans and know some old con man tricks. That's the entire scam. I can't believe anyone falls for it, though I did once agree to go with one of the guys just to see what would happen. They take you into an alley or somewhere, sit you down and start trying to tell your fortune - then they have some big reveal they want you to pay for. As scams go I think it's actually pretty lame! It's like, "That's your whole scam? Stand around trying to tell fortunes? Work harder."

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

LUCKY MAN!!!

They basically try to trick you into letting them tell your fortune based on the fact that they're wearing turbans and know some old con man tricks. That's the entire scam. I can't believe anyone falls for it, though I did once agree to go with one of the guys just to see what would happen. They take you into an alley or somewhere, sit you down and start trying to tell your fortune - then they have some big reveal they want you to pay for. As scams go I think it's actually pretty lame! It's like, "That's your whole scam? Stand around trying to tell fortunes? Work harder."

Ah man that ain't even a scam, that's just a wizard who lost his powers and hasn't realized it yet.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Should I wear my new shirt through Thai immigration?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Fuckkkk did you remember to get me one?!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I am not quite sure if the recent events in Myanmar are a herald for a new era of democracy or the precursor to a brutal military crackdown.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

ReindeerF posted:

Brilliant :D ReindeerF: Refused entry, blacklisted, bank accounts frozen, girlfriend finit forever.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I am not quite sure if the recent events in Myanmar are a herald for a new era of democracy or the precursor to a brutal military crackdown.

So what you're saying is Burma is currently the place to be.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Just a quick trip report after flying with Pakistan International Airlines:

- Filthiest plane I have ever been in, stains all over the seats, paper tissues everywhere in the toilet that look like it came from Silent Hill
- VHS quality small single screen entertainment
- Guys yelling Allahu Akbar
- Smoothest landing ever

Typing this on a bed with bedsheets that look like they've never been changed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
So Ive been looking at trekking in Nepal in either Mustang or the Annapurna circuit and I think I have it figured out for late April. While looking for this one of my friends from school has been talking about going to Thailand as he has family there and he is looking for a place to live as well. He called me the other day and said he would be there from 4/2 to 4/23 and that I should head over for Songkran. The only problems I have with this are the fact that he is looking to head to Pattaya and I have very little time. He is a bit more of a partier/drinker than I am and I would rather not waste much time there and would prefer to head to Chang Mai or elsewhere in the north. Would I be able to find accommodation on such short notice? I have no problem going by myself. I would not stay in Thailand very long, maybe a week or two before continuing to Nepal.

Currently I am looking at flying to Thailand around the 9th, staying through the 15th or so and then going on to Nepal. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go, what to do better, anything?

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008
Anxiety ridden post, begins --

Finally leaving Chicago for Thailand in 2 days. Until about an hour ago I had literally no itinerary, so I decided to try and muster something together.

I can only stay for a month before I need to head to China, so using only this thread and google maps for guidance I have constructed this month-long itinerary:

-Bangkok
-Kanchanaburi
-Krabi
-Ko Samui
-Ko Pha-ngan
-Koh Mook
-Head back to Bangkok

General questions:

-Is this a realistic month-long itinerary? Did I miss anything along the way that you really enjoyed?
-I would actually like to go to a full moon party. Is there a certain date in April that I need to be there around to make it?
-Where would be the best place to exchange money, assuming I need to avoid the airport exchange rates?
-I really loved the pictures of the Songkran festival. Is this something I can experience no matter where I go in Thailand? It seems lovely.
-Most people seem to really dislike Phuket, so I decided to take it off the back end of my trip. If I find myself with a few spare days to go somewhere, should I really avoid this place like the plague?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
That's a lot of beach time. If you get bored down south I would check out Chiang Mai. Also, I would do a day trip to Ayutthya out of Bangkok.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pureone posted:

Anxiety ridden post, begins --

Finally leaving Chicago for Thailand in 2 days. Until about an hour ago I had literally no itinerary, so I decided to try and muster something together.

I can only stay for a month before I need to head to China, so using only this thread and google maps for guidance I have constructed this month-long itinerary:

-Bangkok
-Kanchanaburi
-Krabi
-Ko Samui
-Ko Pha-ngan
-Koh Mook
-Head back to Bangkok

General questions:

-Is this a realistic month-long itinerary? Did I miss anything along the way that you really enjoyed?
-I would actually like to go to a full moon party. Is there a certain date in April that I need to be there around to make it?
-Where would be the best place to exchange money, assuming I need to avoid the airport exchange rates?
-I really loved the pictures of the Songkran festival. Is this something I can experience no matter where I go in Thailand? It seems lovely.
-Most people seem to really dislike Phuket, so I decided to take it off the back end of my trip. If I find myself with a few spare days to go somewhere, should I really avoid this place like the plague?

As above, that's a ton of beach time. Cut out one or two of the beach things and work in a flight to Chiang Mai or even Mae Hong Son and go on a three day hilltribe trek.

OR: Cut out two of the beach sites and fly to Siem Reap in Cambodia to see Angkor Wat.

Bangkok, Angkor and the hilltribe stuff never disappoint (well, Bangkok does for people with the wrong mentality). Hillyribe treks out of Mae Hong Son are ten times better than those in Chiang Mai simply because so many more tourists go to CM.

Stay at Lighthouse Bungalows in Koh Phangan, it rules on its own and is walkable to the full moon party besides (while still being out of earshot from it). Reserve in advance, Lighthouse isn't a secret any more and all the rooms get full around the full moon anyway. The full moon party takes places when the moon is full. Shocker, I know. Google might even give you the date if you search for something like "full moon party dates Koh Phangan." Also take Munchie's island tour while there it was pretty good.

Songkran occurs everywhere, especially in tourist areas. It gets out of hand tbqh on Khao San and in some other spots (Pattaya probably).

Phuket doesn't suck but it also isn't very good.

The best way to get money is to take your ATM card and withdraw baht directly. Always get XX900 baht, so like 5900 or 13900 instead of flat 1000s. Thai ATM carry different denominations and Thai merchants and cabbies can't be bothered with stocking change. If you're bringing cash money changing booths sponsored by banks give good rates anywhere that isn't an airport. Almost any bank in Thailand will change your dollars to baht as well. Expect to get ripped off if you're bringing RMB -- it may be better to do a double change (RMB to USD in China, USD to THB in Thailand) than to pay the RMB to baht price, I don't really know.

If you go to Cambodia bring plenty of crisp 20s. ATMs can be harder to find (when I went there in 2006 or so there was literally only one in the whole country and it was in Phnom Phen), vendors want USD not khmerbucks, and they will not take wrinkled / faded / torn bills.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 4, 2012

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Koh Mook is on the other side of the country from Koh Phangan... be prepared to spend a day or two travelling there from Phangan. It's closer (on the same side of the country as) to Krabi.

Skip Samui as a destination and use it as a transport hub. It's not a great place.

Also seconding the idea of heading somewhere like Mae Hong Son.

Finch! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 4, 2012

Pureone
Nov 6, 2008
Taking your advice and making some changes. I didn't notice how beach/island heavy my itinerary was.

New itinerary looks a bit more like this:

-Explore Bangkok
-Fly out to Chiang Mai and catch a ride to Mae Hong Son
-Get a bus to take me to Kanchanaburi
-Take a bus/train to Krabi
-Head down to Koh Mook
-Head on up to Ko Pha-ngan (while spending minimal time in Ko Samui?)
-Find the nearest airport and fly to Hong Kong

I found the dates for the next full moon party and saw that it will be going on during my arrival. Since there's no way I can attend, I'm thinking of catching the one in May. The problem is that would be my 30th day in Thailand (the last day my visa is valid for). I would like to be here for the full moon party and pay the penalty for staying in Thailand a couple extra days after my visa expired, but will I get in any trouble besides having to pay a bit more?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son takes forever by road - but it's only a short flight away, and the flights are cheap enough. It might be worth investigating flying at least one way.

Having said all that, though, it's HOT in Thailand at the moment (even in the north) so somewhere beachy may be a good idea after all.

Bangkok Airways fly from Samui to Hong Kong, but they're not cheap... in fact that flight is pretty drat expensive. Air Asia fly from Bangkok to Hong Kong and are cheap - get a ride from Phangan to Bangkok with Lomprayah.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ringo R posted:

Just a quick trip report after flying with Pakistan International Airlines:

- Filthiest plane I have ever been in, stains all over the seats, paper tissues everywhere in the toilet that look like it came from Silent Hill
- VHS quality small single screen entertainment
- Guys yelling Allahu Akbar
- Smoothest landing ever

Typing this on a bed with bedsheets that look like they've never been changed.
Hah, are you actually in Pakistan? Look out for drone strikes.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Nope, they were the cheapest flight to Hong Kong!

Pureone: I've overstayed one day once and just had to pay a fine at the border when leaving the country. You'll get a stamp in your passport that says you have overstayed. Do not mention to anyone that you are overstaying as this can get you into trouble (you are in the country illegally).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fly between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son. It's cheap and like a 40 minute flight instead of six hours on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Has anyone been to Ko Pha Ngan or Krabi in late September? I know the west coast is lovely but how are the islands?