Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
the NMD rap thread - shaming away potential listeners since 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Honestly, just listen to like trip-hop or house music or something if you just want bass and drums and are bothered by any sort of lyrical content, but try this song on for size and see if you like it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLZhnZwFXQ

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
That trouble mixtape is real hot. His flow keeps getting better.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Flaky posted:

Ughhh the best way I can describe rap is totally inconsistent. There is some absolutely fantastic stuff that occasionally makes searching worthwhile but there is just so much garbage. IMO.

I really liked Kid Cudi's Day n Night, but I can't say I am a huge fan of anything else of his. Lyrically, I am ok with explicit weed references, but not so much the gangsta bitches and possessions bullshit. I like a certain level of sophistication to the lyrics which most rap seems to be aiming for but rarely attains. There's just something about chill powerful bass and syncopation that's not available in other music that draws me in, but then the lovely themes/lyrics all too often push me away.

Please help.

You clearly need some learning, so why not start with Tha Grimm Teachaz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jY5TRfNi7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WTngwJ3EhA&feature=relmfu

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

^ I am grimly mad that I never knew of the grimm teachaz before now.

Flaky posted:

Ughhh the best way I can describe rap is totally inconsistent. There is some absolutely fantastic stuff that occasionally makes searching worthwhile but there is just so much garbage. IMO.

I really liked Kid Cudi's Day n Night, but I can't say I am a huge fan of anything else of his. Lyrically, I am ok with explicit weed references, but not so much the gangsta bitches and possessions bullshit. I like a certain level of sophistication to the lyrics which most rap seems to be aiming for but rarely attains. There's just something about chill powerful bass and syncopation that's not available in other music that draws me in, but then the lovely themes/lyrics all too often push me away.

Please help.

Here are some songs with powerful bass lines and explicit weed references that are definitely not also about gangster poo poo or bitches:

Total Devastation - Fat Blunt Caper

11/5 - My Hoe's Name is Nina

I lied, it's also about gangster poo poo and bitches

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Rah! posted:

^ I am grimly mad that I never knew of the grimm teachaz before now.

For real, when did this come out? Good poo poo.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

Prefuse posted:

have you tried 50 cent or DMX

DMX rules

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

This thread needs more Mac Mall. From his 1999 album "Illegal Business? 2000":

With Me Or Against Me
Chicken Head/Hot wings
When They Come For Me

From his 1993 album "Illegal Business?":

Illegal Business
Sic Wit Dis

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

More Mac Mall is always a good thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krbwGV2Mzdk

Anyone else have a particular album that really generates a lot of nostalgia for them? Popped on The Listening for the first time in months and forgot how much I used to listen to it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Haven't seen this posted yet. Joey BADA$$ and Capital STEEZ video for Survival Tactics, love the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWAk8-leVA
Couple 17 year old kids from Brooklyn.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011
Where do I start with E-40? He's got, like, 17 albums

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Diodeous posted:

More Mac Mall is always a good thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krbwGV2Mzdk

Anyone else have a particular album that really generates a lot of nostalgia for them? Popped on The Listening for the first time in months and forgot how much I used to listen to it.

Yeah, in fact both those albums by Mac Mall count for me. Sic Wit Tis was often played on the radio in the Bay Area, as was this song from "Illegal Business? 2000":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q33qDzGOaWM

Of all the songs on that album, that one brings the nostalgia the most because I heard it all the time for a year or two.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
New Jada mixtape 4/27

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/?p=233741

I liked "kiss my rear end" or whatever that other one was called, lookin forward to some new J to the muah

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

psychicsecession posted:

Where do I start with E-40? He's got, like, 17 albums

He's been ridiculously prolific lately (and most of it is pretty good), but for my money In a Major Way and The Element of Surprise from the '90s are his best albums.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I'm a fan of in A Major Way but have by now probably listened to "My Ghetto Report Card" the most. Yay Area represent.

4am at 6th and Mission was good times, Mr. Bling Bling was right up the block and Tu Lan, miss that poo poo

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2012

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

thunderthief posted:

4am at 6th and Mission was good times, Mr. Bling Bling was right up the block and Tu Lan, miss that poo poo

That's an interesting time of day to be in an interesting part of SF, for sure. At that time the crackhead shuffle is in full swing. Like LMFAO but with more shanks, and more missing teeth. And Don't forget Taqueria Cancun right around the corner.

As for E-40, this is the best song AND the most nostalgic song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7vQSPBtwyc

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Sometimes people got run over during the ever popular ghost riding of the whip, and I was definitely threatened with death over a turkey sandwich, a guy killed himself jumping off the Metreon, one time a tweaker pulled a syringe on me and got away with $13...good times for sure

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Nostalgia like a motherfucka here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byuQVTdlfos&ob=av2e

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
So I'm trying to make a notification tone for my phone of tech n9ne's CHA sound, and having a hard time finding one that has an acapella track and he isn't rapping over it. Can anyone help me out on this?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Drunken Lullabies posted:

So I'm trying to make a notification tone for my phone of tech n9ne's CHA sound, and having a hard time finding one that has an acapella track and he isn't rapping over it. Can anyone help me out on this?

lol i dont have any suggestions off the top of my head but let me know if you make it

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

thunderthief posted:

Sometimes people got run over during the ever popular ghost riding of the whip, and I was definitely threatened with death over a turkey sandwich, a guy killed himself jumping off the Metreon, one time a tweaker pulled a syringe on me and got away with $13...good times for sure

How you gonna get stuck up with a syringe? Do you weigh 110 lbs?

slothmonster
Sep 28, 2009

Mashed keyboard to write about a woman getting murdered rather than potatoes. WTF

THUNDERDOME

bows1 posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet. Joey BADA$$ and Capital STEEZ video for Survival Tactics, love the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWAk8-leVA
Couple 17 year old kids from Brooklyn.

I like this, dope flows and a cool aesthetic, def gonna be watching out for these dudes, also that's gotta be Danny Brown sitting on that bench with 'em, which can only mean good things.

edit: haha no it's definitely not danny, just went to their tumblr, high resolution photo of them on the bench shows its just some cat with similar hair. gently caress low resolution youtube videos being all deceptive.

slothmonster fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 2, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Roymega posted:

How you gonna get stuck up with a syringe? Do you weigh 110 lbs?

Haha, I was like 19 (this was like 2002) - the dude stole tips off some tables while I was working night cashier at Mel's diner. Dude sat down right next to the door with a reciept hanging out of his pocket. I said "are you ready to pay your bill sir?". He jumped up all tweaky and was like "I don't have a bill", at which point the russian waiter dude came running over and yelled "you steal my loving tips!". The crack smoking gentlemen insisted he did not when it was quite clear that he had swiped the tips from the far table. The russian body blocked him, and we both proceeded to stomp him and kick him. At which point I mentioned we were being recorded by the store security camera, the russian replied he didn't give a poo poo, but this provided an opportunity for the tweaker to squirm out and pop up like a crack snake. He whipped out a syringe, stabbed at each of us a few times from quite close. I decided my tip money wasn't worth AIDS but the russian still kinda wanted to fight him, he chased him like another block. The police never came when we called them, as was thr routine on Friday/Saturday night.

THNDRTHF fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 2, 2012

Roymega
Oct 10, 2004

-crickets-

thunderthief posted:

Haha, I was like 19 (this was like 2002) - the dude stole tips off some tables while I was working night cashier at Mel's diner. Dude sat down right next to the door with a reciept hanging out of his pocket. I said "are you ready to pay your bill sir?". He jumped up all tweaky and was like "I don't have a bill", at which point the russian waiter dude came running over and yelled "you steal my loving tips!". The crack smoking gentlemen insisted he did not when it was quite clear that he had swiped the tips from the far table. The russian body blocked him, and we both proceeded to stomp him and kick him. At which point I mentioned we were being recorded by the store security camera, the russian replied he didn't give a poo poo, but this provided an opportunity for the tweaker to squirm out and pop up like a crack snake. He whipped out a syringe, stabbed at each of us a few times from quite close. I decided my tip money wasn't worth AIDS but the russian still kinda wanted to fight him, he chased him like another block. The police never came when we called them, as was thr routine on Friday/Saturday night.

ahaha touche.. I'm from the meth capital in Iowa so I know all about tweakers, best believe.. Used to work overnight at a Kum n Go in a so-so neighborhood and bounced at a bar for a couple years.. I'm a huge night owl so that shift is honestly not that foreign to me (11-7am-ish), so I'm never surprised by the characters you run into late at night.. Crazy rear end out of their skull drug users have no set demographic, I don't care where you're from

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
So, Kendrick Lamar dropped the initial single from his Aftermath debut album apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuP6gGvxmiY

Notes:
- Kendrick Lamar should continue writing for Dr. Dre so Detox can come out and be drat near classic. His lyrics make Dre sound inspired.

- Scoop DeVille made the perfect type of track for Kendrick and Dre.

- An Aftermath artist actually had a single come out, while the artist was on Aftermath. I'm Shocked.

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

Not quite as powerful as timelord
Okay, so I didn't think I liked rap. The only rapper I ever heard was Busta Rhymes and that's just because I loved his music videos when I was younger, I think. Anyway; then I came across this thing:

Hodgy, Domo Genesis And Tyler, The Creator - Rella

First thing I did was of course listen to all the stuff these guys made. I ended up liking two tracks off Goblin (Nightmare and Tron Cat) and that was it, and not as much as I like that track and not for the same reasons I don't think.

So I looked into this OFWGKTA thing but was unfortunately disappointed again.

Edit: I looked through artists tagged horrorcore on last.fm as well, that was actually the worst idea so far.

Then I started looking in this thread. Read back some 20 pages or so and the rest with ctrl+f, but I only managed to figure out that people here don't really like Tyler that much. I can probably see why.

Anyway, here are some of the things that I definitely like about that song, which I'm hoping someone can help tell me what it is I'm actually looking for.

The thing I really love is the beat. That sort of spacey but surprisingly wholesome sound running and pacing in the background. Usually rap has very, very flat background music, which leaves only the voice to save the song - and it usually can't for me.

My favorite parts are...

1:04 to 1:18. I like how that part is a little lower than the rest but still well paced, lines up well for when it picks back up. I like the beat throughout but it gets even better with parts like this.

2:20 2:28 (and other parts with Tyler in the end). A lot more chaotic than the rest and it's really cool.

I feel like there's tons of rap I don't know and I could just go and explore it, but every alley turns up blind for me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

vvv I have this problem with all genres unfortunately. My entire library has only a handful of full albums, the rest I deleted tracks I don't like :( vvv

Free Weedlord fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 2, 2012

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
You have hilariously specific taste in rap

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

Mannie Fresh posted:

So, Kendrick Lamar dropped the initial single from his Aftermath debut album apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuP6gGvxmiY

Notes:
- Kendrick Lamar should continue writing for Dr. Dre so Detox can come out and be drat near classic. His lyrics make Dre sound inspired.

- An Aftermath artist actually had a single come out, while the artist was on Aftermath. I'm Shocked.

Audioswapped, so here's an alternate http://vimeo.com/39626540

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Mannie Fresh posted:

http://vimeo.com/39626540

Notes:

This has made me unbelievably hyped for his upcoming album. This poo poo needs to come out soon.

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 2, 2012

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Free Weedlord posted:

Usually rap has very, very flat background music, which leaves only the voice to save the song - and it usually can't for me.
How are you going to make generalizations about rap when you've only listened to Busta and Odd Future?

That Kendrick and Dre song is fly. I still want an entire album of Cartoons and Cereal, but makes for a great radio single.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 2, 2012

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

snyprmag posted:

How are you going to make generalizations about rap when you've only listened to Busta and Odd Future?

That Kendrick and day song is fly. I still want an entire album of Cartoons and Cereal, but makes for a great radio single.

Oh I've heard a lot more. I just don't listen to anything more than that regularly. I will however say you're right, usually is not the right word here, rather the majority of what is popular in Denmark is. I'm basically hoping for someone to point me in some direction for something that isn't, because all rap I've heard in the radio and the stuff I came across while looking for more (Gravediggaz in particular) was really flat.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Really not sure what you mean by flat, but the Gravediggaz tracks were produced by RZA and Prince Paul who are both crazy talented. The stuff is getting near twenty years old so it may sound dated, but the beats are still cool

Does this sound 'flat' to you?

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

You might like A$AP Rocky if you are more into beats than the rappers themselves. Very good production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cWVRvWLFM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3ktDxAjWI

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

snyprmag posted:

Really not sure what you mean by flat, but the Gravediggaz tracks were produced by RZA and Prince Paul who are both crazy talented. The stuff is getting near twenty years old so it may sound dated, but the beats are still cool

No that particular track isn't that flat, I'm not that crazy about it though. Maybe rather than flat I should say compressed or so.

Palace there is cool track, I'll definitely look into those!

Edit: I cant help but feel like the drums in that Flocka track is like a lil' ant tapping along.

Free Weedlord fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 2, 2012

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

If you like ASAP you might like main attrakionz too i guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtO9PONOarg

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

snyprmag posted:

It's pretty insane to think about, approximately 20 years later, that RZA and Prince Paul were in a group together.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

youngallah posted:

It's pretty insane to think about, approximately 20 years later, that RZA and Prince Paul were in a group together.

I'm gonna say something controversial here: For a group with RZA and Prince Paul in it, Gravediggaz wasn't as good as they should have been. I don't ever listen to any tracks of that album except Mommy, what's a Gravedigga? And 1-800-Suicide.

I'm NOT saying that it was a bad project. I'm saying that it logically should have been better.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Free Weedlord posted:

The thing I really love is the beat. That sort of spacey but surprisingly wholesome sound running and pacing in the background. Usually rap has very, very flat background music, which leaves only the voice to save the song - and it usually can't for me.

you might like grime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi9bRkSr_ZM

or this new nacho picasso video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj7Bm61hCk8

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

2 CUPS OF BLOOD

ah gently caress everyone i love that 1st gravediggaz record, its better than almost any other wu-related project imo. still gets play to me to this day. the added bonus being i can even play this to my non-rap friends and its passable due to the horrorcore content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Weedlord
Dec 27, 2006

GET MONEY posted:

you might like grime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi9bRkSr_ZM

or this new nacho picasso video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj7Bm61hCk8

I think I might too! I kinda like the british english accent more for rapping, so I think I'll look into their hip hop scene a bit.

And although that guy (I assume that's nacho picasso rapping) isn't really up my alley I'm really happy you linked that since I had to look into Blue Sky Black Death and I absolutely love that.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions even though it was so specific :)

• Locked thread