Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

mfny posted:

Had a mess around and Leixia seems pretty fun/easy. Why does Pyrrha give you the creeps though ? Also on the Street Fighter front ive heard good things about Juri as far as newbie friendly characters go, though her VO is pretty drat annoying ive noticed.

Pyrrha's problem is the whole "Screaming for you to stop" when she attacks/is attacked thing. I get that it's an attempt at an original character direction, but it's unpleasant. It's a shame because overall the creepy/sleaze factor of SCV is notably better than SCIV, Tira's default outfit notwithstanding.

Buuuut character designs in fighting games is a rather sticky topic, so I'll leave it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you pad on SF4 than Juri and DeeJay are really good characters to start with. Juri because she has no DP's which are your hardest thing on a pad, her strategy is extremely straight forward, she teaches you about pokes and her Engine is basically "how to do combo strings 101" the move. Deejay is good because in addition to being a very good charge character he can basically punish everything super well. He has killer range poke, a really strong anti air and extremely strong juggles. Once you Deejay well you can switch to just about any character and know exactly when to dish out your moves in order to punish.

And despite what people tell you, sticks and pads are of comparable cost. A stick will run you about 100 to 120, but a good pad will be 25-60 and will wear out over the course of six months or so with continuous play. You can't replace the parts in pads as easy either.

Plus the execution on games that don't telegraph the poo poo out of everything (see: SF4) means that you can't DP regularly on a pad like you can on a stick. You can dash and fireball much easier on a pad, do if you specialize in those characters than by all means pad away (see: Juri).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you pad on SF4 than Juri.

This is terrible advice because Juri is an awful character to start with whether you're on pad, stick, or hitbox.

FSE is not a reliable way to learn combos because it turns Juri into a giant TC machine which is applicable to maybe.. two other people in the cast. Her divekicks are extremely unsafe unless you're using them on reaction and will wind up causing you to eat poo poo regularly, and while her zoning can be fantastic with fireball stores, her defensive options once someone gets in on you are "block" and "eat a shitload of damage" unless you've got a very good handle on playing footsies just outside of sweep range which requires you to have really good reaction speeds or really good reads on your opponent, probably neither of which are going to occur if you're just picking up SF.

Juri is a good starting character if you want a long, hard, and frustrating road to learning the basics of SF4.

Edit: Her dashes are pretty great though.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 2, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Juri and Deejay are both pretty bad starting characters. Deejay has good normals and zoning but everything he does can be done better by Balrog and Guile, who are also both better overall characters.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you pad on SF4 than Juri

Fireball store is important to Juri which you do by holding a button down. Unless you claw the controller this is really hard on a pad. Even on a stick playing with one finger held down on a button for most of the match takes a while to get used to and something I would think would be a hindrance to someone trying to learn the basics of the game.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Mega Comrade posted:

Unless you claw the controller this is really hard on a pad.

Almost every single pad player I have met "claws" if they play in tournaments, a very select few don't though

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The person asking advise isn't a tournament player though. I still wouldn't advise learning the game with Juri either way.

Edit

Thinking about it a little more I suppose you could map the left shoulder button to lk which is the the fireball store you will be using 90% of the time, that would alleviate the awkwardness somewhat.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 2, 2012

CrashTestVictim
Oct 2, 2003

...roink PERFECT.
The only pad players I've seen playing with claw grip aside from Tekken players are people that also play stick. Even the Marvel players hold the pads normally. In general though most of the people playing pad locally play primarily on PS3.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

CrashTestVictim posted:

The only pad players I've seen playing with claw grip aside from Tekken players are people that also play stick. Even the Marvel players hold the pads normally. In general though most of the people playing pad locally play primarily on PS3.

Yeah, Wolfkrone and Fanatiq who are probably the 2 most successful 2d FG pad players right now both do a normal grip and not claw, so do a lot of others.

Puzzle Thing
Dec 12, 2006
Your life is as steak!
I play pad, non-claw with Juri and I just hold charges with the ball of my thumb and press other buttons with the tip. I think I'm just used to how awkward it is though.

As much as I like Juri, I think it would be really frustrating to learn the game with her. If you can't control your opponent at all, they just get in and start wrecking your face.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

Yeah, Wolfkrone and Fanatiq who are probably the 2 most successful 2d FG pad players right now both do a normal grip and not claw, so do a lot of others.

Those are "new" players and 2d players, should have been specific to timeframe and format(3d)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Six Of Spades posted:

Pyrrha's problem is the whole "Screaming for you to stop" when she attacks/is attacked thing. I get that it's an attempt at an original character direction, but it's unpleasant.

I find it hilarious, you also forgot the part where she cowers while blocking and during some of her attacks. Her character direction is like that because ~MOE~ and it draws a parallel to Omega.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is SFxT really bad? I thought goons warmed up to it but it seems like everyone in the thread despises it.

Anyway I want to pick something up on the ps3 to play alongside of UMvC3 on my vita and soon, Skullgirls. I unironically love playing single player in MVC. Heroes vs Heralds or whatever is fun. Should I just get the ps3 version of that or should I grab SFIV AE or something else? I'd really like something with reasonable fun single player and multiplayer that works.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is SFxT really bad? I thought goons warmed up to it but it seems like everyone in the thread despises it.

Anyway I want to pick something up on the ps3 to play alongside of UMvC3 on my vita and soon, Skullgirls. I unironically love playing single player in MVC. Heroes vs Heralds or whatever is fun. Should I just get the ps3 version of that or should I grab SFIV AE or something else? I'd really like something with reasonable fun single player and multiplayer that works.

Sell all your other games and get King of Fighters XIII.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Vocal minority, etc. Most people do consider it a fun game, albeit with some issues.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Double Bill posted:

Vocal minority, etc. Most people do consider it a fun game, albeit with some issues.

Most people who know what they're talking about consider it an incredibly lovely game with some fun elements.

And yes, buy KoF13.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

Most people who know what they're talking about consider it an incredibly lovely game with some fun elements.

It's a valid opinion, just not the most popular one.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's a real mix. It has become the current game people love to hate so it can be difficult to figure out a real consensus. Some things like gems most people dislike along with an agreement that time outs are a massive issue.

Amongst pro's it's equally divided. Justin Wong and Mike Ross love the game for example, others refuse to even play it.

If you want a fun game to piss about in with good netcode then yeah give SFxT a go.

If you want a high quality fighting game with no bullshit then get KOF XIII. But take into account the netcode stinks.

If you like 3D fighters I also recommend Soul Calibur 5. Crappy story mode but tons to unlock to design your own character, best multiplayer features I've seen in a fighting game, awesome netcode. Super fun too.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 2, 2012

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you have people to play with offline, KOF13 is the game you want. But the netcode for that isn't very good and there really aren't many people playing online anyways. Though you mentioned singleplayer, and KOF13's AI is pretty bad, even on the hardest difficulty. Most of your singleplayer time will be butting your head against trials and hating yourself in training mode(maybe thats just me).

If you're going to focus on online play, just wait for Skullgirls. Soul calibur 5 is pretty good too if you just want to hop online for some casual play, if you don't mind 3d fighters. SCV has some decent AI for singleplayer, but its lacking some of the singleplayer features previous games had. Personally, I think the quick battle feature & the legendary souls mode(basically hard mode AI) are pretty nice for solo play.

SFxT has a lot of flaws that add up and some really stupid decisions but its fun to mess around with. I gave up on it because I got really tired of almost every match ending in a time over, especially when its not hard to make a comeback with some of the big combos that game has. Its the most active game right now though.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

Double Bill posted:

Pretty much everyone in my local scene (Dublin, Ireland) have already given up on the game at casuals completely. I don't think people who dislike the game are the vocal minority.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
SFxT is fun to mess around with sometimes but that's about it. And this is coming from someone who REALLY wanted to like that game.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
SFxT has made a lot of people in my local scene go back to SSF4:AE 2012. So its made people play a good game and that's OK by me.

SFxT is just boring, I could forgive all its problems if it was fun to play but its just not.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Amongst pro's it's equally divided. Justin Wong and Mike Ross love the game for example, others refuse to even play it.

If you want a fun game to piss about in with good netcode then yeah give SFxT a go.

If you want a high quality fighting game with no bullshit then get KOF XIII. But take into account the netcode stinks.

If you like 3D fighters I also recommend Soul Calibur 5. Crappy story mode but tons to unlock to design your own character, best multiplayer features I've seen in a fighting game, awesome netcode. Super fun too.

Good netcode? SFxT? I couldn't disagree with you more on that.

Also is there seriously a need to state that SC5 has a crappy story mode? I can't think of a recent fighter with a good story mode that wasn't called Mortal Kombat.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Good netcode? SFxT? I couldn't disagree with you more on that.

Also is there seriously a need to state that SC5 has a crappy story mode? I can't think of a recent fighter with a good story mode that wasn't Mortal Kombat.

I regularly play UMvC3, AE, SFxT and SC5 at the moment. Netcode quality, for my connection at least, goes SC5 > SFxT > AE > UMvC3. I've heard some other people say they don't find the netcode in SFxT good but for me it's been nothing but excellent. The sound issues hopefully get fixed with tomorrows patch too.

As for SC5 story mode, you are right but its really really bad. As in painful to play and makes you hate the two main characters. The game would have been better with just a regular arcade mode with text at the end based on what character you choose.

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines
I'll take skipping and loving up sound over 3f of lag any day. I had a lot more fun playing sfxt online than any other recent game (cept maybe sc5 but I didn't try it online) just because I could play the same online as off. Too bad the game sucks.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Also is there seriously a need to state that SC5 has a crappy story mode? I can't think of a recent fighter with a good story mode that wasn't called Mortal Kombat.

It's significantly worse than the rest of the series, so yeah I think people should know if they plan on buying it at least partially for the single player.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
A little off topic but the "build a stick for sc2" contet srk had came to a close and I really don't envy the winner because he now has to actually build this thing. Although the 2nd place finisher looks just as hard to build.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/1000-contest-ultimate-starcraft-ii-stick-buildoff-deadline-extended.156488/page-2#post-6746685

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Jesus.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Jmcrofts posted:

It's significantly worse than the rest of the series, so yeah I think people should know if they plan on buying it at least partially for the single player.

I can't stress this enough. It was so bad I was laughing at it every time it tried to get serious and eventually mashed X through everything to get the characters.

The netcode is INCREDIBLY good when it works.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I have noticed the game won't let you wait out a latency spike, slightest hiccup and SC5 just ends the game for you.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Sorced posted:

A little off topic but the "build a stick for sc2" contet srk had came to a close and I really don't envy the winner because he now has to actually build this thing. Although the 2nd place finisher looks just as hard to build.
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/1000-contest-ultimate-starcraft-ii-stick-buildoff-deadline-extended.156488/page-2#post-6746685

BUILD AROUND THE GAMEPLAY STANDARDS I DEMAND.

Like an LED backlight housing and some sweeeeeet Kerrigan photoshopped artwork.

It is also like a stealth jet fighter in that it...has angles.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Dandy J posted:

I'll take skipping and loving up sound over 3f of lag any day. I had a lot more fun playing sfxt online than any other recent game (cept maybe sc5 but I didn't try it online) just because I could play the same online as off. Too bad the game sucks.

I feel like a lot of the criticism for sfxt online comes from people unaware of how GGPO works. Everyone is used to input delay now.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Why does Starcraft need that many buttons? Isn't it just like 12-16 buttons total? Those sticks look like they have well over 20.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

PalmTreeFun posted:

Why does Starcraft need that many buttons? Isn't it just like 12-16 buttons total? Those sticks look like they have well over 20.

No. Even if you used the grid layout, which reduces building and actions to 16 keys (e: 12), you'd still need at least 18 more (ctrl and shift, hotkeys, location hotkeys, space). And that's not counting stuff like hatchery cycling for injects that not everybody uses.

A SC2 stick is stupid any way.

tzz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 2, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

tzz posted:

No. Even if you used the grid layout, which reduces building and actions to 16 keys, you'd still need at least 18 more (ctrl and shift, hotkeys, location hotkeys, space). And that's not counting stuff like hatchery cycling for injects that not everybody uses.

A SC2 stick is stupid any way.

Doesn't seem that stupid, at least as a keyboard replacement. Sanwa buttons are much easier and faster to press sequentially than keyboard buttons are. I wouldn't want to gently caress around with a trackball over a mouse, but there definitely seems like there is room for a keyboard replacement.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Jeffrey posted:

Doesn't seem that stupid, at least as a keyboard replacement. Sanwa buttons are much easier and faster to press sequentially than keyboard buttons are. I wouldn't want to gently caress around with a trackball over a mouse, but there definitely seems like there is room for a keyboard replacement.

Faster to press sequentially sure, but you don't really need that. At least not in a way that a keyboard is a limiting factor.

On the other hand, a SC2 stick would be too big. Some hotkeys are already hard to reach in a keyboard, you'd need ridiculously small buttons and even then it wouldn't be as easy.

As if that was not enough, there's the lack of tactile feedback. SC2 players use mechanical keyboards just because of that, so Sanwa buttons are out of the question.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
:doh:

When SFxT first came out, it seemed like it was getting a relatively warm reception. I played it and didn't like it nowhere near as much as SF4.

I just blithely assumed that it would kill SF4 specifically for awhile, so I took a vacation from FGs to play other games. I just assumed that because people said it was alot like SF4, except generally regarded as more fun.

Did that not happen? I have watched zero streams, attended zero meetups/ranbats, or read any FG news since the release of SFxT. What is the biggest game right now?

(i'm not trying to debate sfxt stuff, just wondering what effect it had on the tournament scene)

Minijaka
Apr 6, 2006
I'm so original.

Jeffrey posted:

A trackball is at least useable because you can still do small movements. Aren't joysticks just on/off? Good luck doing any sort of combat micro with these sticks.

The second place entry at least had the right idea of including a mouse pad, but it's directly under the buttons so I'm not sure how that is suppose to work either.

If they really want to have an "arcade stick" usable by SC players, it would be easier and more functional to just glue a stick to the side of a mechanical keyboard. They can still add whatever bright rear end LED and stickers they want.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Minijaka posted:

A trackball is at least useable because you can still do small movements. Aren't joysticks just on/off? Good luck doing any sort of combat micro with these sticks.

The second place entry at least had the right idea of including a mouse pad, but it's directly partr the buttons so I'm not sure how that is suppose tomousek either.

If they really want to have an "arcade stick" usable by SC players, it would be easier and more functional to just glue a stick to the side of a mechanical keyboard. They can still add whatever bright rear end LED and stickers they want.
Yeah I'm not suggesting using the stick part either, just the buttons. I was imagining using a mouse with the right hand and the "stick" with the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

40 OZ posted:

:doh:

When SFxT first came out, it seemed like it was getting a relatively warm reception. I played it and didn't like it nowhere near as much as SF4.

I just blithely assumed that it would kill SF4 specifically for awhile, so I took a vacation from FGs to play other games. I just assumed that because people said it was alot like SF4, except generally regarded as more fun.

Did that not happen? I have watched zero streams, attended zero meetups/ranbats, or read any FG news since the release of SFxT. What is the biggest game right now?

(i'm not trying to debate sfxt stuff, just wondering what effect it had on the tournament scene)

2v2 looks like it will become the standard so no it won't replace AE. At least not yet.

• Locked thread