Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Bugamol posted:

Well when I was trying to find an account with vet rewards, I was only able to recover one. However my friend was able to do 3 or 4 before he was locked. Maybe I just suck, or you guys got lucky, or it's time based. No idea. All I know is that it's extremely ridiculous.

In retrospect I think I may just have had the right passwords for one of those two. Perhaps that is why I had more than one back in business at a sitting. Then the "third" one was from the pw incorrect on first try perhaps.

Totally amuses me that the older of the two accounts had 7 years plus credit on it. drat me if I wasted just THAT much of my life to that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

For anyone who loves the look of their class' epics, there is the possible bonus of getting ornaments to make newer weapons have the same look in the "near" future.

One of the devs started working on unique quests for all the classes to get them like 2-3 years ago. Supposedly he was down to just a couple classes to go when he got pulled off to focus entirely on the House of Thule development, and apparently hasn't had time to finish them since. Going by the hype, the quests were pretty time consuming since he was focusing on making it all unique and interesting for each class. There is probably still video you could find out there with a teaser/preview of the Wizard one.

Now there was a dev comment not too long ago about some surprises around this summer in game, so my personal guess is that we could finally see these in game.

The337th fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 1, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
This is the one part of EQ2 I wish they'd do with EQ. When you get your epic you also get an appearance only version of it so you can make all your weapons look like it from then on. Having to do a whole new questline just to make my weapons look like the epic, after getting the epic, doesn't sound fun to me at all.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
On the other hand, having a really in-depth quest that results in something as badass as epic graphics sounds incredibly fun to me. I hope they're long as gently caress and take all summer. Having something to do when I'm tired of grinding kicks rear end

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Anyone figure out how to get sound with Windows 8 yet?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

MrTheDevious posted:

On the other hand, having a really in-depth quest that results in something as badass as epic graphics sounds incredibly fun to me. I hope they're long as gently caress and take all summer. Having something to do when I'm tired of grinding kicks rear end

No joke. One of my many favorite things about Everquests was its.. quests. They were long, sometimes ambiguous, and felt really well integrated into the world. All the old style quests didn't have this new bullshit of "Kill four orcs" or "Hail this person five times to update the quest journal."

I could just imagine how utterly long the quest journal entry would be if they converted epic 1.0 over to it. How many steps would some of them have? Over 100?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Node posted:

No joke. One of my many favorite things about Everquests was its.. quests. They were long, sometimes ambiguous, and felt really well integrated into the world. All the old style quests didn't have this new bullshit of "Kill four orcs" or "Hail this person five times to update the quest journal."

I could just imagine how utterly long the quest journal entry would be if they converted epic 1.0 over to it. How many steps would some of them have? Over 100?

Fo sho, cleric was short but easily over 50 steps.

larrydigital
Feb 21, 2004

Say Queensbridge.

Sgt Froggy posted:

Back to my query however, with long term play in mind, would a shammy or bard be my best bet?

A little late on this but as someone who's played a bard exclusively for the last 9 years, I can tell you that it can be something of a mixed bag.

The good news is that we're now more versatile than ever. There's a wide variety of songs now. Throw in some fun AA's and you'll find that you always have something to do either in a raid or a group. I'm never bored, ever.

The bad news is that half the people in your guild will have a pocket bard. And the other half don't really understand what you do. I'm in a raiding guild, currently on tier 3 of VOA (maybe not high, high end but high enough for our server) and I had to listen to a recent discussion in guildchat between an officer and our 2nd MT about which would bring more value to a group, a 95 bard or a T5 rogue merc.

Yes, the leveling can be slow. It the single most frustrating thing about my class. And, as it was pointed out earlier, for all our versatility, we're still more or less dependent on a traditional group set up, tank, healer, dps to get anything done. Which is probably why I'm always pestering jetz0r for help. I find pick up groups once in a while, guild groups are drat near impossible to find. But that's ok, that's what fellowships are for. Make some friends and you'll be fine.

The secret to being a long-term bard? Know you're class and don't be a fuckhead. Those two things will take you far. You'll be surprised how many bards can't manage either of those.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

As a related tangent, I think every high level goon in the guild does in fact have a pocket bard, and two or three lower levels just started them too. I can't think of anyone above level 80 who doesn't have a bard at this point

That said, a shaman's as slow or slower to solo than a bard, and we all have pocket shams too, so you're pretty much at a wash. Pick whichever one sounds more fun. Both classes are the two premiere boxing classes and both have to deal with a group-centric, low DPS role. I think we only have a couple of each being mained, though! You can be a unique snowflake :)

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent hand to hand weapons I can get around level 42? I'm not getting any luck at finding defiant orbs.
Going by the Monkly Business chart, unless you can get better than 12/32 (12/33 for Iksar) you might as well just stick with empty hands and magic gloves.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Fo sho, cleric was short but easily over 50 steps.

I totally remember being on holding status for RageFire camps (/shudder). Nothing like a 4hr work shift for a video game to really make you question your priorities in life. Not to memtion explaining to your family why your expecting a call sometime between midnight to six AM and to wake you right away to get logged in.

As for the unique snowflake, I am really enjoying my little shamlet. Just pull a mob or three slow dot and let the buffed tank merc chew through them while reading a book. Its maybe not max efficiency but compaired to when I last played its still obscenely quick. Not to mention killing four yellpw/red mobs at a time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Lain posted:

It's funny though I always thought the quests were these big epic things but if you really pay attention to the story of them they are awful and make no sense.

I can only really speak to the monk one, but I always thought ours was cool. Our 1.5 and 2.0 both go back to the same main guy had in 1.0 too.

Node posted:

Again, I only know the monk one...and it'd be insane, if it started where the monk quests really start. We had headbands and sashes that give pitiful stats (yet we used to wear them back in the day, who knew there was better!), and the quests open up as you continue to level. They don't have any good lore with them, just "go get these 4 things to prove you're awesome and I'll give you this piece of poo poo". But then the top one of each of those, with 2 camps, one which is extremely rare, goes into your first robe. Then two more rare rear end camps gives you the next robe. Why rare camps? The quest writer said monks should be patient. Seriously. The monk epic then is just a series of 4 fights which actually aren't that tough.

Ours is just time consuming, but doesn't need a strong force. Compared to some epics that need drops from gods AND dragons, yeah, I like it better this way.

Edit:

Dizz posted:

Are there any decent hand to hand weapons I can get around level 42? I'm not getting any luck at finding defiant orbs.

There's a set for level 48 in the guild bank right now. Just push through to 48 with your merc then grab these - they're defiant, and they're 12/19.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2012

Delightful Tonka Truck
Nov 20, 2004

I made a necro named Tinzo the other day, haven't played in years, it's crazy how fast the leveling is now.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Okay here is a quick silly question.
If I sing a song that increases strength and buff someone that already is capped for strength at their level.
Do they get any bonus from that?Will they do more damage?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

No, which is why the high end stat buffs for the most part either buff non-cappable stats (atk, mana, hps) or raise stat caps along with the buff.

You should have songs that boost atk which is always good.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Did the primal weps version of avatar buff raise the cap? I dont remember for the life of me. Not that it is particularly relevant. Or did they eventually put in a mechanic to respawn sleepers tomb?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sgt Froggy posted:

Did the primal weps version of avatar buff raise the cap? I dont remember for the life of me. Not that it is particularly relevant. Or did they eventually put in a mechanic to respawn sleepers tomb?

No, they didn't raise the cap, but 100 attack was pretty sweet.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

The warders still spawn and drop Prismatic weapons, which are exact clones of Primal only different name

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
Some of you guys that are AFK grinding via MQ2 bot scripts might want to be a bit more circumspect about where you do it. As long as you're not using the active hacks you're probably safe from getting detected by anything automated, but it's really, really obvious to other players when someone's botting, and when you're one of the first things I see upon entering a hot zone, that's pretty likely to get you reported.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Flarestar posted:

Some of you guys that are AFK grinding via MQ2 bot scripts might want to be a bit more circumspect about where you do it. As long as you're not using the active hacks you're probably safe from getting detected by anything automated, but it's really, really obvious to other players when someone's botting, and when you're one of the first things I see upon entering a hot zone, that's pretty likely to get you reported.

Can I ask who you think is doing this you don't have to call anyone out by name obviously? If you think it's Xasraik / Zorlin / Nomi we're not nor ever have been botting. Might not be us that you're talking about, but if it is you don't have to worry because we're not.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

The warders still spawn and drop Prismatic weapons, which are exact clones of Primal only different name

Note to self find prismatic weps. Always wanted one but sleepers were broken long before I was anywhere near there on the old server I was on. Real shame is I cant even remember what server that was to see if its worth moving chars around. Its probably only relevent in the terms of what plats on them but still wonder where I left them.

Anyone know an easy way to find out what assets are where?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

At one time you could view all your characters across servers with the eqplayers site, but it seems to be gone right now.

The avatar line got rolled into the dru/shm str buff. So you don't actually need avatar procs once you're high enough to get high level buffs. But ST is still kinda fun if you don't mind clearing a ton of trash to get to the dragons.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Flarestar posted:

HAHAH yeah don't do this. They just banned thousands of people for MQ back in November or December...they're on the prowl for sure. Merc AFK leveling is fine but hacking's gonna get you banned :(

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Had a quick question about augs. As a cleric right now I have a soulstripper as my primary 1hb weapon. It has a lifetap proc on it. Just recently got a nodrop aug called a blackened lava rock which adds the effect of "Strike of Ykesha" to my type four slot weapon. If I put it on my soulstripper will that overwrite the lifetap proc or will it basically have two seperate procs that can go off during battle?

EDIT: Nevermind, answered in Guildchat. Thank you.

v Yea double procs

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 2, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Kithyen posted:

Had a quick question about augs. As a cleric right now I have a soulstripper as my primary 1hb weapon. It has a lifetap proc on it. Just recently got a nodrop aug called a blackened lava rock which adds the effect of "Strike of Ykesha" to my type four slot weapon. If I put it on my soulstripper will that overwrite the lifetap proc or will it basically have two seperate procs that can go off during battle?

EDIT: NEvermind, answered in Guildchat. THank you.

What was the answer? I'd assume double procs.

A group of us went to Ashengate yesterday, awesome time! What was supposed to be "I only have 30 minutes left" became "oh god I should've went to bed an hour ago". it was nice to see a modern big dungeon. And it's always fun pulling mobs that are all red to you, and very quickly, became red to everyone in the group. The exp per-kill was great, but the kills weren't quick, and we kept having to take med breaks for our cleric mercs (yes, plural, we had two, hah!) to med up. But I wasn't even really watching my exp after the first kill or two, was having too much fun crawling. We'll definitely be going there again.

From a pulling perspective, it was actually really easy. There was only 1 pull where I had to actually split, and the rest all came single (as long as I waited for roamers to go away). V-Mines is actually trickier hehe. We need to go back to it and try to explore more too.

Are any of the dungeons from the past few years of expansions "normal" sized? Ashengate is this big massive area, where huge dudes run around. It's almost like it's raid-sized. Do they still release narrow twisty dungeons like where in vanilla? Almost all (or hell...all period) original dungeons where narrow maze-like clusterfucks for the most part. I loved it because it made it feel a little more real, and forced you to play first person (which helps immersion for me - yes, I said it). Everything from BB, Befallen, Unrest (the house) up to Sol A, Guk, Sol B, etc. All of them are "person" sized.

That's one of the many things I got tired of in WoW. Everything is loving oversized because it's designed to be played in third-person exclusively. Steps where almost as tall as my character.

widds2v
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry, I'm socially retarded.
Going to be trying double boxing, although I'm not sure why they make it so hard to transfer characters to another account in your own name. Had a 64 Shaman on Tunare that I'll be running with my ranger (who runs a journeyman tank merc) whenever he gets moved over.

Question, which of these would be 'easier' or more efficient?

1) Ranger main dps, tank and cleric mercs, shaman basically for buffs/etc and mainly afk
2) Ranger main dps, tank and dps mercs, shaman full time healing

#1 seems like it would be easier as I would only have to really control the Ranger, #2 seems like stuff would die faster but considerably harder having to control two full-time characters.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

widds2v posted:

Going to be trying double boxing, although I'm not sure why they make it so hard to transfer characters to another account in your own name. Had a 64 Shaman on Tunare that I'll be running with my ranger (who runs a journeyman tank merc) whenever he gets moved over.

1) Ranger main dps, tank and cleric mercs, shaman basically for buffs/etc and mainly afk

#1 seems like it would be easier as I would only have to really control the Ranger, #2 seems like stuff would die faster but considerably harder having to control two full-time characters.

I would go tank and cleric merc with Ranger pulling and shaman slowing and dot'ing for efficiency. With shaman its literally stand, slow, dot...dot..sit. so its not that intense playing that duo. And BTW this is not WoW. Multi-boxing is easy as long as you play in windowed mode and just switch between.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 2, 2012

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Just so you know, at higher levels shamans get a Buff that will proc a debuff on the mob that slows them and prove a heal on its target. It's retarded. That along with the puma / panther / tiger line that gives you a massive dps increase from procs and turns your pet into a little proc machine is an amazing thing to have.

I couldn't imagine playing this game without a box, the tank / cleric merc alone are worth it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

widds2v posted:

I've boxed melee+shaman with tank+cleric merc from lvl 88 to 95, and I don't think I could've done it nor enjoyed it as much without a cleric merc. It heals really well, reacts super quickly, and has a huge mana pool. Everything is just automated.

The tank merc's dps also isn't completely awful. Around lvl 93 I parsed him at doing 2500dps, which is rather impressive considering my monk at the time did maybe 5k.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Peechka posted:

I would go tank and cleric merc with Ranger pulling and shaman slowing and dot'ing for efficiency. With shaman its literally stand, slow, dot...dot..sit. so its not that intense playing that duo. And BTW this is not WoW. Multi-boxing is easy as long as you play in windowed mode and just switch between.

Definitely tank & cleric merc. EQ1 is one of the most multiboxing friendly games out there. Once you start, you're instantly hooked. Try using Wineq2 to even out framerates and stutter. I have an old rear end comp and can do 3 accounts no problem.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

HAHAH yeah don't do this. They just banned thousands of people for MQ back in November or December...they're on the prowl for sure. Merc AFK leveling is fine but hacking's gonna get you banned :(

Eh... the huge waves were January/February, but that's another hilarious story.

Z-Axis
Nov 22, 2004
What melee should I create to go with my shaman?

My brother (torp0r), and I have been playing Bard and Shaman as our mains, and when we group up we have everything except a way to make stuff die quickly. We are currently level 65 with about 150AA. It seems like these characters will end up being our boxes while we each roll a melee. He is probably going to make a Ranger, and I'm undecided.

I powered a warrior up to 60 this weekend only to find out it tanks like garbage compared to a similarly leveled merc, even with a full set of level 59 defiant gear. I'm tired of power-leveling characters up to 65 with my shaman to be completely underwhelmed, so I want to pick the right one this time. My plan is to basically get a pet weapon for the melee and then go to 75 to get lots of AA and work on 1.5 epics.

I would kind of like to add a tank class to our mix, but I read the post a couple pages back that described how much effort it is to gear/AA/aug farm a tank class to perform like a tank merc. At what point do you actually want a real tank instead of just paying a few plat every hour? I’m willing to make the long term commitment if it’s actually worth it, but it seems like the way to play is with a merc healer/tank combo.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

You can get by without a dedicated tank main. I 3 box a necro, sham and bard, all 95 with 3500+ aa each and I can handle most T4 voa named mobs. Except the ones with crazy special attacks and pop adds n' poo poo.

For melee dps you can't go wrong with a zerker.

If you really want to roll a tank main I'd go with a shadowknight. I played one for many years and right now the class is so OP it's ridiculous.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Z-Axis posted:

If your bro is going Ranger (that would be my first choice because of utility) that basically leaves you with Rogue, Monk, and Zerker from a pure DPS. then you have the SK, Pally and of course the Warr which you said you want to stay away from and I dont blame you. I would personally either opt for the SK or Zerker because I never played one and I hear their DPS is really good.

On a side note. I really feel bad for the Warriors and Clerics out there. I mean, with how good the mercs are in these two spots why even bother with a real player?

Peechka fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 2, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Z-Axis posted:

I absolutely love the monk class, and back in the day monk + shaman = unstoppable duo.

However, especially for mid-level AA grinding, ranger and rogues are amazing. Both have abilities that will basically insta-kill a mob (headshot and assassinate, respectively). Sometimes I group with a rogue in PoFire, and the AA just flies. I know the rogue one requires humanoids, not sure about headshot.

If all you're looking for is what's higher on the damage meter, it's probably going to be ranger/rogue for mid-level stuff at the least. I'll let someone with more knowledge about the higher game (80+) speak to that though.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
When did they add in the Paladin class?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
At launch.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

SKs are absolutely so OP it is insane. Mine is downright brutal, goddamn near immortal, requires no healing on anything except the expansion I'm progressing through, and can rival my monk and J5 rogue in DPS when I'm stacking his dots. That said, they're just as lovely as the warrior compared to a tank merc until you're geared, augged, and AAd. It's an even bigger time investment than a warrior since you need all the same AA as the warrior, plus another 500 or so in all your SK-specific AAs. You can absolutely survive with a tank merc nearly everywhere, so I'd play a DPS unless you want to put lots of time into an SK.

At 80 when the mob difficulty starts to seriously ramp up, the crossover point was around 1k AA, HoT T1 (900hp) gear in every slot, and at least 25 ac aug in every slot. That was to equal a J5 tank merc. At 85, full VoA visible, 1400+ hp anniversary non-vis, 30AC aug in every slot, and max defensives/offensives/lifetap AA, I was extremely better than a tank merc finally, but the tank merc could handle just about anything my SK could. Since a cleric merc handles all my healing now (so lazy, shaman's perfectly capable but cleric merc is just so easy) the tank merc is really just fine. I love my SK and would never drop him, but if I were picking to start from scratch, I'd probably go with a DPS class and let the mercs do the healing and tanking. If you WANT to tank, then by all means, hit up the SK, because they're stupidly fun and swarming owns. You feel like a way bigger badass swarming than headshotting, too. First time anyone sees me swarm, the reaction is always "HOLY poo poo". Standing there while 100 mobs are hitting you in the face all at once while you laugh and they tumble to the ground in piles looks cool as poo poo :v:

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How are SKs vs Warriors in a pure tanking, and keeping agro, terms for a group at the higher end? Lets say if both had all the AAs they need, and all the gear, which one could handle multiple mobs easier from a damage mitigation perspective and a keeping the mobs off the rest of the group perspective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bahanahab posted:

How are SKs vs Warriors in a pure tanking, and keeping agro, terms for a group at the higher end? Lets say if both had all the AAs they need, and all the gear, which one could handle multiple mobs easier from a damage mitigation perspective and a keeping the mobs off the rest of the group perspective?

Both are equipped to keep aggro off, so if they are both on the same page, both could easily fulfill the role. A SK has many, many aggro gaining spells and AA that are area effect and build over time. SK could handle just as many mobs because of their shield AA and epic healing/visage of death if poo poo really got bad. They have great damage mitigation and ability to heal themselves. A Warrior could also handle the mobs, as well tho.

Unless it's very high end raiding, you don't need a warrior. A SK can pull off the job just as well. If you're grouping in VOA/HoT, a SK can tank all of that content.