Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My friends are working on a serial video project that I'd like to help them advertise on these here forums. I understand that I'm prostituting and would like to know where that's acceptable. I was thinking the SA-Mart and purchasing a banner ad. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I was playing frisbee with a few friends and one of em could throw the frisbee so fast and straight that it actually made a buzzing sound. He wasn't sure how he was pulling it off. What is that sound called and is there a trick to doing it?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think the word the "China Study" guy was looking for is 'anecdotal.'

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I live in a New York-like climate where bugs and spiders are more plentiful when it gets to spring/summer/fall type weather. Is there something to trap those little house spiders (around 0.5" long)? I know they're not really harmful, but it would give me some ease of mind. I haven't really seen any traps specifically for spiders in a store, but I haven't looked at any specialty places.

edit: I see that Amazon has general critter traps when I search for "spider trap". Are these the best solutions?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 2, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Popcorn posted:

I think I just blue myself.

Why is Wikipedia suddenly blue for me and how do I change it back?

edit: it seems to be a display bug when you're zoomed to a certain level. weird.

Specifically on Chrome, when you zoom in, the background turns blue.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Drevoak posted:

I was playing frisbee with a few friends and one of em could throw the frisbee so fast and straight that it actually made a buzzing sound. He wasn't sure how he was pulling it off. What is that sound called and is there a trick to doing it?

What model was it? If it's Discraft Ultra-star, the one used for ultimate games, I bet it's the concentric ridges on top. Those are put there to disrupt airflow and generate more lift. At high speeds, this turbulence might be audible. I recall getting a whiffling sound when throwing any really scuffed up discs fast.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can someone give me a vague breakdown of how monetizing youtube works? I have no interest in doing it myself but I'm curious as to how people end up getting paid/how much money views generate. Found some info on Google but I am curious as to what you guys know about it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 2, 2012

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to 'delete' the progress in a video on Netflix?

There's a problem with the Doctor Who episode Vincent And The Doctor, causing it to not play after a certain point. You can skip past that point just fine, but tried to get as close to where I was before, and it went pear-shaped. If I could restart the stream from the beginning, I would, but it won't let me start from the beginning.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
You can report a problem with it by going to Your Account and going to Instant Watch Activity (or the Instant Watch Queue). Not a quick solution but maybe they can reset it for you?

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 2, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Drevoak posted:

It's just a matter of speed. In my hey-days of being a baseball pitcher my catcher would complain of a similar noise. There's some sort of anomaly disrupting the standard rotation of whatever you're throwing (it was just the seams in my case but frisbees make weird noises on account of their easily modifiable rotation.)

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dudebro posted:

I live in a New York-like climate where bugs and spiders are more plentiful when it gets to spring/summer/fall type weather. Is there something to trap those little house spiders (around 0.5" long)? I know they're not really harmful, but it would give me some ease of mind. I haven't really seen any traps specifically for spiders in a store, but I haven't looked at any specialty places.

edit: I see that Amazon has general critter traps when I search for "spider trap". Are these the best solutions?

I know a relative that swears by some appliance that you plug into an outlet then emits some high-frequency noise undetectable by human ears but is supposed to drive spiders crazy. No idea if it works or not but I haven't seen a spider in her house ever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Manslaughter posted:

I know a relative that swears by some appliance that you plug into an outlet then emits some high-frequency noise undetectable by human ears but is supposed to drive spiders crazy. No idea if it works or not but I haven't seen a spider in her house ever.

There is no way in hell this thing works. If anything it'll drive your (or your neighbor's) dogs and cats bonkers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manslaughter posted:

Like the electronic pest repellers? Some people swear by them but it may just be a placebo effect.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pest-Offense-Electronic-Pest-Repeller/13008326

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Actually now that you linked that it's more likely it used electric pulses, considering she had 2 cats.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dudebro posted:

We got some of those sticky ones like these a while back owing to the fact that my wife is terrified of spiders. To the best of my knowledge they didn't catch a single one.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I buy a phone with a bad ESN, is there any way to make it usable? An iphone specifically.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Manslaughter posted:

Those work really well. I have a similar device that repels elephants. I've had it for years and have never had an elephant invasion, not once. There was one close call, though, when I thought that small, 6-legged elephants had invaded my kitchen, but it turned out to just be some close relatives to elephants called "ants."

If you buy the elephant repellent, see if it also repels tigers and polar bears. Mine doesn't say anything about repelling tigers, but I think it must partly work on them because I've only been attacked by one tiger in my house and it was one of the pygmy tigers, no bigger than a shoe. My housemate is bipolar, so obviously the polar bear repellant function is unnecessary in my case.

Other testimonials: 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Manslaughter posted:

Actually now that you linked that it's more likely it used electric pulses, considering she had 2 cats.

It still doesn't work.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Manslaughter posted:

I had a college roommate who used one of those. Anecdotally, they don't work at all.

MisterBibs posted:

Is there any way to 'delete' the progress in a video on Netflix?

There's a problem with the Doctor Who episode Vincent And The Doctor, causing it to not play after a certain point. You can skip past that point just fine, but tried to get as close to where I was before, and it went pear-shaped. If I could restart the stream from the beginning, I would, but it won't let me start from the beginning.
If you watching in your browser, you could try clearing your cache. I'd also look into whether you have the latest version of flash/silverlight/etc. If this doesn't help, the problem is probably on Netflix's side, and there's not a lot that you can do besides reporting your problem, as Moscow Mule suggested.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
What exactly is required for an extremely viscous liquid like pitch to not be considered just an amorphous solid like toothpaste, and vice-versa?

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

If I had to hazard a guess it would be how much the substance flows. If you try to scoop up a piece of pitch with a popsicle stick it will try to flow off the wood, while if you try the same thing with toothpaste you'll get a nice little glob that stays put.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

change my name posted:

If I buy a phone with a bad ESN, is there any way to make it usable? An iphone specifically.

Yes it is possible. However, it is usually very difficult, possibly illegal, and not guaranteed to stay working.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mak0rz posted:

There is no way in hell this thing works. If anything it'll drive your (or your neighbor's) dogs and cats bonkers.

Possibly humans too, depending on how high a frequency the manufacturer decides is "inaudible." There's a house I bike past all the time, and all summer there's an incredibly high-pitched eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee coming from the backyard, loud enough to hear from across the road -- probably a sonic "mosquito repeller." If I lived within earshot I'd probably snap and kill the guy inside a week.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

What exactly is required for an extremely viscous liquid like pitch to not be considered just an amorphous solid like toothpaste, and vice-versa?
I believe the difference is that solids energetically favor molecules aggregating into a structure more than they favor other forces causing them to fall out of that structure. Given unlimited time, amorphous solids would crystallize and high-density liquids would settle.

e: Okay I guess they don't have to crystallize, but they do have to maintain the structure long-term.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 3, 2012

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

N. Senada posted:

My friends are working on a serial video project that I'd like to help them advertise on these here forums. I understand that I'm prostituting and would like to know where that's acceptable. I was thinking the SA-Mart and purchasing a banner ad. Any tips?

Just buy a banner ad? I'm not sure what you'll be selling in SA Mart. Subscriptions? You're better off asking permission to pimp your friend's stuff in GBS.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kept debating if I should make a full thread for this or not, in the end decided to err on the side of caution so here goes:

I've been a book collector for 20+ years, hard cover, paperback, out of print, things never printed in the US, etc... I have over 2000 books. Now however, I need room in my house for my family, and with the rise of E-Readers, I'd like to get rid of them. However, I'd like to balance the ease of getting rid of them with any money I can make off of them as well.

From what I can see I have three ways I can go about this:

• Donate to good will / local charity. Seems like a tax write off of $1 per paperback, $3 per hardcover is typical.
  • Try and sell to one or more Used book stores. Given the number of boxes that I've packed them in to store them, I'm thinking that I'd need to visit multiple stores, and not sure how much I'd get per book.
  • Set up an Amazon storefront, and ship them off individually. This seems like it'd take the longest, and the whole Amazon thing seems very scammy on both sides. I've heard of lots of charge-backs and claims of never receiving merchandise. Seems like the most work, but maybe the most reward as well.

Are there any other options I'm not thinking about? Have other people done this and if so what did they choose and what did the like/dislike about it? (Or regret not doing?)

Finally is this an interesting enough question to warrant a full thread?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hughlander posted:

I've been a book collector for 20+ years, hard cover, paperback, out of print, things never printed in the US, etc... I have over 2000 books. Now however, I need room in my house for my family, and with the rise of E-Readers, I'd like to get rid of them. However, I'd like to balance the ease of getting rid of them with any money I can make off of them as well.

Unless you have a lot of rare or desirable books you're going to get maybe $2 each if you sell them yourself. Probably considerably less than that if you sell them to a store. Donating them to charity is going to be the easiest way to get rid of them. Nobody is going to buy them in big boxes and selling them all yourself would take a very long time.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What you should do is pick out the few books you think you can manage to sell for a decent price, and immediately donate the rest.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It might be worth donating the hardcovers to a library and the paperbacks to charity, though I don't know if you can get a write-off for library donations.

Here's a small question -- what's a reliable way to keep a shower/bathroom mirror from fogging up? I like to shave in the shower and a mirror would be nice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Rub a cut potato on it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Try buffing your mirror with shaving cream on a dry towel before you get in the shower. I'm not sure if it'll work in the shower, but my experience has been that it's reasonably effective afterwards.

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

Hughlander posted:

Stuff about getting rid of used books.

While not a collector, I love reading and have hundreds and hundreds of books. I have started Book Crossing (link: http://www.bookcrossing.com/). It's probably not practical for you to do this with many books but I've had fun doing it and I can't wait to hear other people's thoughts on books I've loved reading.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

tarepanda posted:

Here's a small question -- what's a reliable way to keep a shower/bathroom mirror from fogging up? I like to shave in the shower and a mirror would be nice.

Shaving cream works pretty well for about 5 minutes. Just rub some on the mirror and then wash it off while you shower.

I also saw this mirror recommended somewhere on SA. I can't personally attest for it because I still haven't gotten around to buying it, but apparently there it has a water reservoir that helps equalize temperatures between the air and the mirror that creates the fog.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I shave my head in the shower, so a mirror is pretty important for me. After going through about half a dozen of them I settled on this beauty. It has a reservoir in the back that you can fill with warm water every time you shower, which prevents steaming. It's the greatest.

Buy it. Buy the hell out of it and don't look back.

EDIT: Look it's on sale! :supaburn:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 3, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Terribly inane question, but without using a game console or computer (how) can one watch Netflix on a television?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Travakian posted:

Terribly inane question, but without using a game console or computer (how) can one watch Netflix on a television?

I think some internet-connected tvs have apps for Netflix. My parents have one, but I haven't played with it, so I'm not sure what services it can connect to.

Does the how refer to "How do I do this with a computer," or is it part of the main question and just wanted a hug?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Travakian posted:

You've got thousands of way to watch Netflix.

The low-end Roku box is going to be your best cost/performance device though, around $50 or so.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Zenostein posted:

Does the how refer to "How do I do this with a computer," or is it part of the main question and just wanted a hug?

Heh, no. Making it parenthetical splits the question; can either be interpreted as "..can one watch Netflix on a television?" (yes/no) or "..how can one watch Netflix on a television?" (if the answer was 'yes,' it'd then ask for a method). Easier to compound it than post twice, and more concise than "Can it be done? How?"

FCKGW posted:

You've got thousands of way to watch Netflix.

The low-end Roku box is going to be your best cost/performance device though, around $50 or so.

Interesting. Thanks. How about DVRs, then-- can anyone recommend a DVR that can record things as well as stream from Netflix/other services? I consume all of my media on a computer, so not familiar with any of this stuff; my mother asked for a VHS head cleaner & extra tapes for her birthday, and I figure this is probably a better/more lasting route.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I just started watching Battlestar Galactica, and I loved the first season, thought the second season was okay, and I'm just not into the third season at all. I'm only up to ep. 10 ("The Eye of Jupiter"). Should I hang on and watch it through the fourth season, or did it just all sort of start going downhill after the first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Smeep posted:

I just started watching Battlestar Galactica, and I loved the first season, thought the second season was okay, and I'm just not into the third season at all. I'm only up to ep. 10 ("The Eye of Jupiter"). Should I hang on and watch it through the fourth season, or did it just all sort of start going downhill after the first?

3 is bad. 4 has good moments. So it's worth watching the whole thing.