Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh-oh.
Was he too high or too drunk in that REALLY bad episode few months ago he later apologized for?

e: Was it a DLM we'll get as an episode?

No, just a regular standup show. He was too high in that old episode but this time he worked with it and it was pretty awesome. He was working on new material for his next album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Was he too high or too drunk in that REALLY bad episode few months ago he later apologized for?

He does refer to that one as the "How high is too high?" episode, but it's still not as bad as that panel of morning show DJs he had on once.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

How do shitheads come into regular stand-up?
Are they still shooting for the tour movie? Maybe they needed a climactic weeded out performance and you went to the right one.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do shitheads come into regular stand-up?

People brought nametags; we forgot ours. :( The nametags picked that I noticed were a box of vegan, gluten-free chocolate cookies [for Graham, of course], a severed arm, and one other. The person plays a single round against Graham; winner gets the bag of goodies (Which consisted of Graham's CD, Doug's CD, and ... I think a shirt?), loser supposedly gets their shithead read and heads back to their seat.

quote:

Are they still shooting for the tour movie? Maybe they needed a climactic weeded out performance and you went to the right one.

Nope, they finished shooting The Greatest Movie Ever Rolled. This one wasn't on camera; if it was, we would have had to sign a release like we did last time when they said it was going to be on camera. :)

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

Sleeper Agent already seems to have a much better grasp on the rules of Build-A-Title and Len Maltin than most of Doug's friends/regular guests.

I dug the episode. Also I liked their music so I bought their album, not all their songs are great but there's a few really good ones.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It was kind of weird/frustrating that neither Graham nor Doug could pull a title that ends with "Adventure". You'd think one of them would come up with Pee Wee's Big Adventure or Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Next round of tournament of champions just came out today with Simon Pegg, Edgar Wright and Kate Miccuci. Haven't listened to it yet but can't go wrong with this lineup.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, it's a great one - very funny, good Len Maltin game, going to be a pretty crazy final.

Anyone else get oddly disappointed when you think you know a film from just the category and year, but then they choose the other year? Like in today's, as soon as I heard 'takes place in hotel and from 2003' I was thinking Identity, but now I'll never know if I was right unless he brings it back (and does so in an episode I bother listening to).

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's funny how invested I get in the game when I either know it from the year alone--like who didn't know Saving Private Ryan from the "movies that were robbed at the Oscars" category a while ago--and how crushed I am when I think I have it and am dead wrong--like when Sarah Silverman guessed Men Don't Leave last minute I was positive it was Fried Green Tomatoes.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

LesterGroans posted:

It's funny how invested I get in the game when I either know it from the year alone--like who didn't know Saving Private Ryan from the "movies that were robbed at the Oscars" category a while ago--and how crushed I am when I think I have it and am dead wrong--like when Sarah Silverman guessed Men Don't Leave last minute I was positive it was Fried Green Tomatoes.
I remember that episode, it was Matt Mirah who named Private Ryan after either Marc Maron,
Zach Galifinakis or Nick Swardson couldn't name it (who were the other guests of that show). One of my old favorites, but that was before I really got invested in the show and learned who were good guess and who were not

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LesterGroans posted:

The worst one of these for me was like a combination of the two, one where Paul F. Tompkins was naming the movie, 2004 with the category being "Tootsie Pops" (Movies where Dustin Hoffman plays a dad) going for the win with exactly the bid I'd go with (-2), naming the exact thing I thought (Meet the Fockers, Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro) and he lost the point and the game because somehow De Niro got top billing.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
I really want the latest episode but ITunes seems to like to do this wonky thing where I can't download a podcast. Every other show I listen to will download just fine but one episode of some random podcast just won't download. It does it just randomly and it is the most frustrating thing ever. Why does ITunes do this?

To make this related I recently scared the crap out of my co worker screaming at my IPod because someone was getting it wrong and I was way too invested in this show.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I really want the latest episode but ITunes seems to like to do this wonky thing where I can't download a podcast. Every other show I listen to will download just fine but one episode of some random podcast just won't download. It does it just randomly and it is the most frustrating thing ever. Why does ITunes do this?

To make this related I recently scared the crap out of my co worker screaming at my IPod because someone was getting it wrong and I was way too invested in this show.

Is it quitting the download midway, or not even starting it? Sometimes I'll click to download a podcast, but it won't start a download queue. Usually when I tell iTunes to check for downloads (Store > Check for Available Downloads), it'll restart/start said download. But yeah, sometimes iTunes is a real pain in the rear end.

Aaand we have a new premium ep! This DLM, set in Minneapolis includes Matt Mira and Jonah Ray from Nerdist, along with Amber Preston and of course Graham Elwood.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Good episode. Really wanted to see Simon Pegg go to the Tournament of Championship finals though, just to hear him interacting with Jon Hamm. Not that they ever would have gotten that scheduled properly.

Also, putting on my pedantic goon hat, Doug psyched Simon Pegg out on the Mr and Mrs. Smith question. He didn't seem to hear or understand that Pegg wanted to guess 0 names, and if he hadn't been tripped up by Michelle Monaghan's name he totally would've gotten it.

I did like Doug trying not to offend Pegg while talking about his Movie Interruptions. It was nerdy/funny.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The thing with Pegg and Tom Cruise and the Michael Caine impression was hilarious.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Are you making GBS threads me, Doug? ANOTHER free ep on Easter? With Ben Schwartz, David Huntsberger AND Samm Levine? Jesus, and I haven't finished the god damned premium eps yet.

Seriously though, kudos to Doug for such a massive dump of great stuff.

Edit: VV Sorry, I'm going to get through that one/the two TBIs soon I swear :( I can tell you from what I've heard so far, Matt Mira stops by for the beginning (first 11 min) and leaves when the other three guests show up. Also sound quality is good and no one is super drunk/high. VV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 9, 2012

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

plastered quack posted:

Are you making GBS threads me, Doug? ANOTHER free ep on Easter? With Ben Schwartz, David Huntsberger AND Samm Levine? Jesus, and I haven't finished the god damned premium eps yet.

Seriously though, kudos to Doug for such a massive dump of great stuff.

Speaking of, is that paid episode worth it? I am hesitant because it seems to have the two guys Chris Hardwick uses on Nerdist to make himself sound hilarious by comparison.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Jonah Ray is actually funny though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

big business sloth posted:

The thing with Pegg and Tom Cruise and the Michael Caine impression was hilarious.

God that was the best part. It killed me. Also "Eric Stoltz in Mosque" as a headline.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The build-a-title was pretty great in the last episode. Would "Love song for Bobby Long" have been okay for the first round?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

He's going to do a movie interruption for The Grey? That's sure to be delightful. :stare:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Julet Esqu posted:

He's going to do a movie interruption for The Grey? That's sure to be delightful. :stare:

It annoyed me that he admitted he hadn't seen it yet. Why would anyone go to/be part of a Movie Interruption for a film they hadn't seen?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Samm Levine is the loving worst.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

Samm Levine is the loving worst.

I am still seething with rage of what a douche he was during the Scott Aukerman/Paul F Tompkins tournament and will never forgive him for it. He's so disingenious whenever he plays the game and the whole "well I coooould be wrong even though I guessed -2 names and obviously know it" is so annoying.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
You guys are too hard on Lil Wolverine.

burmart
Sep 14, 2002

10,000 Cunts

Nemo posted:

You guys are too hard on Lil Wolverine.

I just dislike him for being the focus of the worst episode of Freaks and Geeks.

The episode when his dad cheats on his mom is near unwatchable.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I normally like Samm Levine (didn't hear the Aukerman/PFT tourmament, though, which seems to have been a turning point for a lot of people) but I thought he was pretty unbearable in the latest DLM. The whole :argh:ADULTS SHOULD NEVER BE INTERESTED IN YOUNG ADULT ENTERTAINMENT:argh: thing was really stupid and got tiresome fast. I would have liked to hear more of what Huntsberger had to say about the Hunger Games.

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Levine. The little smug creep bugs the hell out of me.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Julet Esqu posted:

I normally like Samm Levine (didn't hear the Aukerman/PFT tourmament, though, which seems to have been a turning point for a lot of people) but I thought he was pretty unbearable in the latest DLM. The whole :argh:ADULTS SHOULD NEVER BE INTERESTED IN YOUNG ADULT ENTERTAINMENT:argh: thing was really stupid and got tiresome fast. I would have liked to hear more of what Huntsberger had to say about the Hunger Games.

Nah, sorry, The Hunger Games is marketed and written for children.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Samm Levine comes off as the kind guy who practices Super Smash Brothers and Mario Kart by himself, and then invites friends who've never played them before to show off and complains at technicalities when he loses :colbert:

ie: he's the worst

Zsinjeh fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 10, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
The Hunger Games is worse than Samm Levine.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

RussianGuyovich posted:

Nah, sorry, The Hunger Games is marketed and written for children.

It's young adult-level fiction marketed at a wide audience. Anyone can read it and enjoy it - indeed, the movie is meant to appeal to as many people as possible. Or do you read exclusively Tolstoy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Who cares about The Hunger Games. David unexpectedly caring so much more about a thing everyone else is just very flippant about is the funny part.
On his own podcast he'd have been shut down in half the time and laughed hysterically at.

e: Listening again everyone is enjoying themselves. Nothing happened. No reason to get upset on anyone's behalf.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2012

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

For me it's not :qq: over Huntsberger's poor feelings. It's that I thought what he was saying was interesting and it's also that I found Levine's dictation of what forms of entertainment people are and are not allowed to enjoy to be annoying.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Was it Aukerman who said Samm Levine is the WWE Wrestling supervilian of Doug Loves Movies? I think that's about the best description you can get.

Should be back home to finish listening to/type review for the premium stuff, thanks for being patient. :ohdear:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

The best part of David's hour-long sperg on the Hunger Games is how, as Ben pointed out, it literally came after he said something to the like of "nah, I haven't really watched anything...well, I did see Hunger Games I guess..."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

It's young adult-level fiction marketed at a wide audience. Anyone can read it and enjoy it - indeed, the movie is meant to appeal to as many people as possible. Or do you read exclusively Tolstoy?

I wish I could say I have The Hunger Games right next to some Tolstoy on my bookshelf but I'd be lying. It's actually right next to the first volume of À la recherche du temps perdu. :ohdear:

Julet Esqu posted:

The whole :argh:ADULTS SHOULD NEVER BE INTERESTED IN YOUNG ADULT ENTERTAINMENT:argh: thing was really stupid and got tiresome fast.

As it does whenever it comes up on this forum, which is all the loving time.

It's hard to tell when people who aren't Todd Glass are doing bits though or are exaggerating an actual opinion they have for comedic effect. I assume Levine was being 100% honest though since he's not a comedian. I don't dislike him but it was weird especially considering he's most known for being in a show about children and also still looks like a child at 30.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Don't forget, Doug brought the whole "young adult movie" topic up...

it's a little over 25 min. into the episode:

Doug Benson posted:

:350: - "Let me ask you this, David, 'cause I didn't read the [Hunger Games] books...'cause they're for children"

immediately afterwards...

"Lil' Wolverine posted:

:argh: - "AND SO ARE THE GOD DAMNED MOVIES!"

Considering Doug and Samm have known each other for awhile, Doug might have been trying to set him off.

Urk! fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 11, 2012

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
I love Samm Levine and the newest DLM was amazing. Ben Schwartz was God drat hilarious. Samm was also apparently name searching himself on Twitter and retweeted a couple of people who made fun of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The latest episode is hilarious AND informative!

• Locked thread