Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Liesmith posted:

Losing a round is save or die bullshit. At the very least they should get an initiative/awareness roll or something, and personally I wouldn't penalize them with a surprise round at all considering that the sudden onset of vacuum without a suit is bad enough

That said, if you are venting a dude into space, I might not give him a chance to move or even stand still unless he's got some magnet boots or whatever. He might get sucked out into space that round (can still shoot dudes at a penalty or maybe slap on a helmet if he's got one available)

Situation is litterally our group's rogue trader, one of the arch-militants and a small group of troops are going to get vented into space. They never wear void suits and never sit strapped in. No warning, just in middle of a conversation they get vented out the hold of my shuttle. None the wiser. Our party is mutinying the PC Rogue Trader and his best bud.

Our DM is aware this is going to happen so I wanted to make sure we were both on the same page. I figured they could react in the intial vacuum but not without some insane penalties.

Kortel fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
Surprise is explicitly a matter of GM's discretion with some general guidelines, at least in the DH/RT rules.

YamiB.
Nov 5, 2009
My last session of Rogue Trader went pretty well. Followed the advice here to pump up my enemies a bit more, though they still breezed through the boss battle because of some bad rolls on my part and the astropath getting some good rolls on death grip.

I decided to throw in a space battle I had ready at the end to introduce a group of adversaries to the group. The NPC ship got a critical hit and took out their thrusters. The Rogue Trader, who is the main pilot for the ship, double checked that he could still move forward. He asks to fly right at the enemy ship and enter the warp, he got a 1 on his pilot check, I played it out as their ship nearly crashing into the enemy and jumping into the warp, pulling the other ship with them. The whole group felt pretty :black101: after that. I'm sure we broke rules of the system and the 40k universe, but it seemed like the best note to end on. I think at some point now I might have the ship show up full of demons and demonhosts.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that's literally how spacehulks happen

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Liesmith posted:

that's literally how spacehulks happen

That happens in Deliverance Lost. The ship sucked in unexpectedly has about a nanosecond to get the Geller fields up before everyone on board is hopelessly hosed.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Kortel posted:

Situation is litterally our group's rogue trader, one of the arch-militants and a small group of troops are going to get vented into space. They never wear void suits and never sit strapped in. No warning, just in middle of a conversation they get vented out the hold of my shuttle. None the wiser. Our party is mutinying the PC Rogue Trader and his best bud.

So uh, I don't mean to pry or anything, but why? Forgive me if you've already posted about this before, but I'm just a bit curious why you guys have decided to murder 2 of your fellow party members is all.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Locomotive breath posted:

So uh, I don't mean to pry or anything, but why? Forgive me if you've already posted about this before, but I'm just a bit curious why you guys have decided to murder 2 of your fellow party members is all.

Long story short they've purposely put us in situations that would kill us... several times. Going so far as to hire mercs to attack us on missions. My Voidmaster has been documenting it for some time. We came to the agreement that we need to take the ship over to keep it on task. Luckily we know how to get access to the Warrant of Trade. It's pretty much two parties on one ship.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Question about getting into the RPG side of 40k.

I've relocated to a newish city and lost most if all of my gaming connections. If I have the deathwatch rule book and wanted to get in on things, what would be the best way of contacting a player group? Are groups fairly lenient about new inexperienced members?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

handbanana125 posted:

Question about getting into the RPG side of 40k.

I've relocated to a newish city and lost most if all of my gaming connections. If I have the deathwatch rule book and wanted to get in on things, what would be the best way of contacting a player group? Are groups fairly lenient about new inexperienced members?

Try the game finder thread. There's also an online one.

Turtle before the Storm
Sep 13, 2004
I should try to be less like Ignatius J. Reilly and more like John Kennedy Toole. Rev the engine and pass me that hose
Anyone know of any 40k appropriate textures or tilesets I could use to make maps in maptools? I haven't had much luck since everything seems to be fantasy related. I used to have a giant torrent or zip of textures from somewhere but I can't remember where I got it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Turtle before the Storm posted:

Anyone know of any 40k appropriate textures or tilesets I could use to make maps in maptools? I haven't had much luck since everything seems to be fantasy related. I used to have a giant torrent or zip of textures from somewhere but I can't remember where I got it.

Search
http://gallery.rptools.net/v/contrib/?g2_page=1
for "40k"

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Alright, I'm in the preparation stages of forming up a dark heresy newbie game for some of my buddies who have never been exposed to 40k before. And I'm going to make a little single session game for them with pre made characters. I want to make them a basic lore primer to go with it rather than read page after page of wiki stuff. I'm going to include single paragraph very basic background for things like the emperor, the various imperium factions, the warp, and the chaos gods for starters. The one off campaign is going to be the players rooting out a minor Tzeench cult on an agri world doing some weirdness to the crops in part due to some human sacrifices they have been performing.

My mind is drawing a blank as to anything else I need to include in my primer for this sort of game. Is there anything I should include in my primer that couldn't be inferred or explained orally in a sentence?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

DeathSandwich posted:

Alright, I'm in the preparation stages of forming up a dark heresy newbie game for some of my buddies who have never been exposed to 40k before. And I'm going to make a little single session game for them with pre made characters. I want to make them a basic lore primer to go with it rather than read page after page of wiki stuff. I'm going to include single paragraph very basic background for things like the emperor, the various imperium factions, the warp, and the chaos gods for starters. The one off campaign is going to be the players rooting out a minor Tzeench cult on an agri world doing some weirdness to the crops in part due to some human sacrifices they have been performing.

My mind is drawing a blank as to anything else I need to include in my primer for this sort of game. Is there anything I should include in my primer that couldn't be inferred or explained orally in a sentence?

I think it would be way more fun if you only gave them the relevant knowledge that your typical God-Emperor-fearing Inquisitorial henchman would be aware of. Basically, the Emperor Protects, everything is a big theological totalitarian bureaucracy encompassing a million worlds, and the warp is a mysterious dimension used for travel and why are you so curious about the warp, heretic? :commissar:

Your players really don't need to know who Tzeentch is or how the Imperial Guard works or even what exactly the Inquisition is (aside from "an organization who combats the Emperor's enemies within the Imperium") to know that they are space detectives and oh poo poo these guys are killing people and worshiping demons (that may or may not exist) we gotta stop 'em. Let the details of the world come about organically, it will be way more enjoyable for you being able to reveal aspects of 40k as :aaa: moments, and for the players to experience the back-story instead of just reading a block of text about it.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 2, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'd actually drop the specifics about the Gods, especially if they're new, because that's all stuff that's fairly easy to find out and explain in setting and your average DH character/imperial citizen does not know anything about Chaos except "It's bad, mutants, kill/burn/purge." Let them find out more about Khorne by having them repeatedly fight people screaming about the Blood God!

The Rogue Trader book actually has some good, concise write ups on the various factions if you're looking for inspiration, but otherwise make sure they have a scattering of various Lore skills and just explain bone simple stuff during play.

Edit: What mechafunkzilla said.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It also might be helpful to eventually introduce an Interrogator-type character who can guide the players somewhat and answer questions they have in-universe -- or "not" answer them. For example, if the cultists are screaming about "Lord Tzeentch", and the players ask him who "Tzeentch" is, he can flinch at the mention of that word, then get agitated and tell them it is nothing more than the raving of lunatics and they should forget they heard it in the first place. Then they will naturally want to learn more about this "Tzeentch" fellow, and try to find out more information about him and there lies the path to heresy and ruination :commissar:
Dark Heresy is actually really great for introducing new players to 40k. Right now in the Black Crusade campaign I'm running, the PC's are tagging along on an Astartes Strike Cruiser filled with Slaanesh-worshipping Chaos Space Marines that's trying to assault a Black Ship of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, while they're accompanying a Skitarii of the Dark Mechanicus to recover a xenotech artifact. I couldn't imagine bringing a player not familiar with 40k into that game and trying to bring them up to speed :stare:.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 2, 2012

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Dark Heresy is actually really great for introducing new players to 40k. Right now in the Black Crusade campaign I'm running, the PC's are tagging along on an Astartes Strike Cruiser filled with Slaanesh-worshipping Chaos Space Marines that's trying to assault a Black Ship of the Adeptus Astra Telepathica, while they're accompanying a Skitarii of the Dark Mechanicus to recover a xenotech artifact. I couldn't imagine bringing a player not familiar with 40k into that game and trying to bring them up to speed :stare:.
"We are rebels against the tyrannical oppressive Imperium ruled over by the Corpse God on his throne. Come, join us in our struggle!"

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
I think the standard preamble they put in each Black Library 40k novel probably covers it, or at least communicates enough of the tone of the setting that 'You're the secret police/Inquisition in the pseudo-fascist theocratic feudal-ish dystopia that is mankind's only hope to survive in the grim darkness, have fun!' would be all you need. Introducing the elements of the Imperial power structures as and when necessary is probably better than describing it all beforehand.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Show them this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM&ob=av3e In spite of being a touch gimmicky, pretty much everything you need to know is in there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Show them this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MeVxKZBOfM&ob=av3e In spite of being a touch gimmicky, pretty much everything you need to know is in there.

Is it me or does Horus look like Kirby? :3:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
And it don't stop.

Have another 40K RPG!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3185

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

And it don't stop.

Have another 40K RPG!

Wasn't this supposed to be a supplement? Core Rulebook implies a new ruleset. Isn't BC still very new?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

Wasn't this supposed to be a supplement? Core Rulebook implies a new ruleset. Isn't BC still very new?

It'll have been out for about a year when this hits the shelves, so not TOO bad. Guardgame implies there's a market for this anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Taking something that could have been a supplement and spinning it out into a full-priced standalone game is the core idea of the 40K RPG line. As long as it keeps working, they'll keep doing it.

I don't mean that as a harsh criticism; I keep buying the drat things. It's one way to make it in a notoriously unprofitable industry.

edit: Amazon still has it listed as "Dark Heresy: Only War…" http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Heresy-Fantasy-Flight-Games/dp/1589947649/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333559835&sr=8-1

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 4, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I'm betting that this is also going to be a fresh crack at low-powered games with the new ruleset and will also help them pave the way for DH 2.0, which you know is going to happen at some point.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
An Imperial Guard game? I gotta wonder if this is gonna be like Paranoia where you're expected to die horribly but have extra lives of sorts...

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

InfiniteJesters posted:

An Imperial Guard game? I gotta wonder if this is gonna be like Paranoia where you're expected to die horribly but have extra lives of sorts...

Amusingly I was thinking the exact same thing.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

robziel posted:

Amusingly I was thinking the exact same thing.

It's either that or an ULTRAMANLY difficulty setting version of Deathwatch.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

InfiniteJesters posted:

It's either that or an ULTRAMANLY difficulty setting version of Deathwatch.

I really want to watch the Starship Troopers movies and than play a game of Only War. Give every player a three-ring binder of pre-generated characters and try to fight some 'nids.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wikipedia Brown posted:

And it don't stop.

Have another 40K RPG!

this is a really minor issue but I hate it when people use the word 'myriad' like it means 'lot', eg. engage the enemy with a myriad of tactics. I prefer when it's just "engage the enemy with myriad tactics." I know Myriad can be a noun, and that it is arguably more correct that way. I just think it sounds stupid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

robziel posted:

I really want to watch the Starship Troopers movies and than play a game of Only War. Give every player a three-ring binder of pre-generated characters and try to fight some 'nids.

* Flip *

* Flip *

* Flip *

Get used to that.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Liesmith posted:

this is a really minor issue but I hate it when people use the word 'myriad' like it means 'lot', eg. engage the enemy with a myriad of tactics. I prefer when it's just "engage the enemy with myriad tactics." I know Myriad can be a noun, and that it is arguably more correct that way. I just think it sounds stupid.

Iirc Milton uses it a lot to describe huge armies ('Satan clothed with transcendent brightness didst outshine
Myriads of angels'), which reads quite nicely, and (while I have no idea whether this is deliberate) you do often get similar usages in 40k background to describe big units of holy warriors/corrupted machine spirits (and so on). I'm OK with it bleeding over into just describing a whole lot of stuff. It's no 'musculous might', that's for sure.

Also, as far as it being a run-up to Dark Heresy 2.0 is concerned, it looks to me like it might even be Dark Heresy 2.0 - so far we know that there are

Storm Trooper
Priest
Medic
Enginseer
Sanctioned Psyker
Heavy Gunner
Commissar

and a further 5 specialties beyond that, which would seem to cover a lot of the DH archetypes. They might go the Daemon Hunter route and have multi-purpose books.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Medic is the most boring class/speciality in an RPG ever made.

"Ok Bob, I got wounded in that last fight where I used my assault training to take out a bunker full of enemy special forces, now it's your time to shine!"

-rolls Medicae skill of 32-

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I demand playable Ogryns. :black101:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Yeeeeeeessssssss. Finally! Also, they used one of my flavor quotes in that press release. As usual, I can't give any real details other than "It's rad". The only more detail I can go into is, "It's loving rad and was the game I wanted to work on in the first place!"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I wonder if they'll stick with the Rank progression system from Dark Heresy, or the specialization + tiered talents system from Black Crusade. I'm definitely a fan of the latter, allows much more flexibility and gives people the option to make a character with a bit of synergy before they rack up 10,000 experience to "unlock" the more powerful talents.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

mllaneza posted:

* Flip *

* Flip *

* Flip *

Get used to that.

And the squad of Hormagaunts have reached your section of the wall, everyone lose 1D6 characters.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

"Ok Bob, I got wounded in that last fight where I used my assault training to take out a bunker full of enemy special forces, now it's your time to shine!"

If the Medic isn't a glorified drug dealer injecting his allies with frenzon at every opportunity, possibly against their wishes, I will be sorely disappointed.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Yoshimo posted:

This is why you give Apothecaries Chem-Use, Demolitions, and that poison special ability, turning them into a horrifying corpse McGuyver.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ze Pollack posted:

This is why you give Apothecaries Chem-Use, Demolitions, and that poison special ability, turning them into a horrifying corpse McGuyver.
Drain the blood from your enemies and replace it with explosives. Then use your powersuit-enhanced superstrength to hurl them at your foes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Yoshimo posted:

I've eschewed abusing it, but rules-as-written and my RT Explorator's stupid intelligence + his IB from cortex implants makes his healing capability potentially hilarious for anyone who is under 'critical' wounds or whatever (>2XTB).

Oh, add in the fact I'm never more than lightly injured due to Autosanguine.

Sure, I'm not nigh-immune to small arms fire like the voidmaster brute we have with his stupidly high toughness and other defenses... I would just say that I don't feel like the medic stuff really feels 'unfun'. Add to that the fact that my character being the ships Chirurgeon only cost me the XP for medicae skill really and nothing else (since I'm gonna have int, etc) and it's pretty fun. Plus the character's nigh-transhumanist approach lets me constantly be trying to upsell people on cybernetic upgrades to replace their weak flawed flesh. Bet that hurts, I remember what pain was like... (Pain ward)