Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Mister Speaker posted:

Do both machines have external audio interfaces with MIDI? If so, have you tried simply connecting one's MIDI Out to the other's In? I do this with two laptops running Traktor and Ableton and the only sync drift I get comes directly from my turntables - with a solid source like another instance of Live, you should be fine.

How did you get Traktor to run synced to an external midi clock? I have Traktor 2 Pro and can only get it to send a midi clock (which Ableton still drifts against).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl

j.peeba posted:

Tom Cosm has uploaded a couple of interesting sound design vids.

Creating a big evolving pad. And then the project itself evolves into ambient dub:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bcIaVOyuSQ

Creating a song with only a single kick drum track as the input:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzvvnk6rdNE

I did the kick sample challenge, a little tedious but worthwhile!

etanmaet
Feb 19, 2010
I'm attempting to tempo sync with my Electribe ES-1. Simple put, I'd like the tempo of ableton to set the tempo of my ES-1.

I have a Firewire 410 that I use as my interface that has midi out and the ES-1 of course has midi in.

If it matters at all, I plan to incorporate my Electribe EA-1 as well. If you had tips on extending the tempo sync to that device as well as the ES-1, that'd be awesome.

Can anyone here point in the right direction to get this done?

Thanks!

etanmaet fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 19, 2012

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Vector 7 posted:

It's just surprising to me that it hasn't been done in just a random update, because it seems like a simple thing that an experienced programmer could cook up really quickly.

One of the Ableton founders is a buddy, and I asked him about automation curves a year ago. He said:

quote:

Oh boy... you have no idea how much I would wish for those too. They are on the list of things to do since quite a while now. Unfortunately the list spans from here to Alpha Centauri if printed out on 9pt font...

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

etanmaet posted:

I'm attempting to tempo sync with my Electribe ES-1. Simple put, I'd like the tempo of ableton to set the tempo of my ES-1.

I have a Firewire 410 that I use as my interface that has midi out and the ES-1 of course has midi in.

If it matters at all, I plan to incorporate my Electribe EA-1 as well. If you had tips on extending the tempo sync to that device as well as the ES-1, that'd be awesome.

You might be able to daisy chain, but a more reliable / hassle-free way is with a MIDI thru box.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

blacksun posted:

How did you get Traktor to run synced to an external midi clock? I have Traktor 2 Pro and can only get it to send a midi clock (which Ableton still drifts against).

No, that's what I meant. Traktor is the master. Its clock is set to 'Auto' so it takes tempo from whichever deck is set to 'Master' and sends it out to my other computer that runs a series of dummy effect clips, some delay returns and some beat repeat stuff. As long as the track is gridded properly, I never have any sync issues beyond a small amount of drift with timecode vinyl.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Twiin posted:

One of the Ableton founders is a buddy, and I asked him about automation curves a year ago. He said:

This makes me think the reason there hasn't been a major update in 3 years is because they're basically rebuilding it from scratch.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mandals posted:

This makes me think the reason there hasn't been a major update in 3 years is because they're basically rebuilding it from scratch.

Or because a lot of people left ableton to do this:

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

keyframe posted:

Or because a lot of people left ableton to do this:

http://bitwig.com/bitwig_studio.php

Can you give any more background on this project? It looks awesome.

GravyWPG
Sep 15, 2011

AAAAGH! BEEF GRAVY! IT'S BURNING MY FLESH! BUT IT'S SOOOO DELICIOUS!

AriTheDog posted:

Can you give any more background on this project? It looks awesome.

I don't know much more than what's on the site. I think a bunch of Ableton devs got pissed off enough to make this, but I'm not sure.

Either way I am eagerly awaiting the beta

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea it's done by a bunch of ex ableton devs. I hope it lights a fire under abletons rear end.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 29, 2012

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

i've been loving with random follow actions to make instant idm, will post a video later

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I have a whole bunch of versions of Ableton oh my HDD, are there safe ones I can delete? I have OSX.

My 8.2 is 2 Gigs, 8.2.1 is 500 meg, 8.2.2 550 megs, 8.2.5 also 550 megs.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have a whole bunch of versions of Ableton oh my HDD, are there safe ones I can delete? I have OSX.

My 8.2 is 2 Gigs, 8.2.1 is 500 meg, 8.2.2 550 megs, 8.2.5 also 550 megs.

I always delete the prior version when I install a new one and I haven't run into any issues yet. You could just try moving them to the trash then launching a few songs and making sure you have everything you need before deleting.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

If anyone is running an iPad/Phone/Touch, you should really check out LiveControl: http://livecontrol.q3f.org/
Pretty amazing software.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Live owners get 150 days of free SoundCloud Premium: http://www.ableton.com/claim-free-soundcloud

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

wayfinder posted:

Live owners get 150 days of free SoundCloud Premium: http://www.ableton.com/claim-free-soundcloud

gently caress yes

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

wayfinder posted:

Wheeeeeee. Now, what does it do?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

So 8.3 is out, if I delete my previous versions, does that affect any instruments I've downloaded like Retro Synths?

i.e. delete everything below 8.3

NM

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 2, 2012

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Well, we managed to borrow our neighbour's MOTU Ultralite to test the MIDI sync thing. It's better than ethernet(I think?) but certainly not perfect. We still experience drift, which is anywhere from "barely noticeable" to "the drunk girls don't care, but the heads do". I'm hoping the lovely club system we're playing on tomorrow night will make it more forgiving. I would do terrible, terrible things in search of the answer to this question.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does the new live update let you access soundcloud in the browser and directly drag drop download stuff to audio tracks like Studio One does or is it just a "upload to soundcloud after render" option?

Dr Rotcod
May 20, 2004
I see the consistently reoccurring disappointment and failure you will continue to cause yourselves.
Is there any way I could set up a cell in Sampler to randomly play 1 of, say, 8 different samples each time it's triggered?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Dr Rotcod posted:

Is there any way I could set up a cell in Sampler to randomly play 1 of, say, 8 different samples each time it's triggered?

I haven't done this with Sampler but I have stuck a random arpeggiator (with note interval set really long so it doesn't re-trigger) in front of a Drum Rack before to achieve the same thing. Would something like that maybe work for you?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Dr Rotcod posted:

Sure, just put the samples on different keys and stick a "Random" MIDI effect on the track.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

stacking MIDI effects is great fun. Try loading a few Arpreggiators into cells, with a Scale on each, before triggering a synth. Super fun to make patterns etc with. Drum Racks make it all a breeze.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

xpander posted:

Well, we managed to borrow our neighbour's MOTU Ultralite to test the MIDI sync thing. It's better than ethernet(I think?) but certainly not perfect. We still experience drift, which is anywhere from "barely noticeable" to "the drunk girls don't care, but the heads do". I'm hoping the lovely club system we're playing on tomorrow night will make it more forgiving. I would do terrible, terrible things in search of the answer to this question.

Thats the answer. It doesnt work. The only way i can figure you can do it is to sync it to an MPC or something similar. MPCs are nice because they have multiple midi outs and you wont have to chain anything.

But, just give up trying to sync the computers. Its not possible. Every time you trigger anything that taxes the CPU fucks up the midi sync too. If you do everything as audio it helps, but still doesnt fix it.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

oredun posted:

Thats the answer. It doesnt work. The only way i can figure you can do it is to sync it to an MPC or something similar. MPCs are nice because they have multiple midi outs and you wont have to chain anything.

But, just give up trying to sync the computers. Its not possible. Every time you trigger anything that taxes the CPU fucks up the midi sync too. If you do everything as audio it helps, but still doesnt fix it.

Well that sucks donkey dong. I guess our live PA is going to have to move to a single machine, and we'll haul around another display. Unfortunately that takes away some of the flexibility we have now. Time to start thinking about other options...

jeffreyheart
Feb 13, 2012

dolphins are gay posted:

stacking MIDI effects is great fun. Try loading a few Arpreggiators into cells, with a Scale on each, before triggering a synth. Super fun to make patterns etc with. Drum Racks make it all a breeze.

Love it.

Why drum rack vs inst rack with 128 chains?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

128 Chains wouldn't be as manageable to me. Drum rack you can really just drag and drop poo poo on.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

Mister Speaker posted:

No, that's what I meant. Traktor is the master. Its clock is set to 'Auto' so it takes tempo from whichever deck is set to 'Master' and sends it out to my other computer that runs a series of dummy effect clips, some delay returns and some beat repeat stuff. As long as the track is gridded properly, I never have any sync issues beyond a small amount of drift with timecode vinyl.

Yeah thought so. I suppose drift may be too strong of a word, however the midi-sync is never perfect. Good enough to run beatless loops (vocal samples etc), some less time dependant effects (I wouldn't dare use a beat repeat). And don't even dare try to run anything in Ableton if you are doing a tempo change.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

blacksun posted:

Yeah thought so. I suppose drift may be too strong of a word, however the midi-sync is never perfect. Good enough to run beatless loops (vocal samples etc), some less time dependant effects (I wouldn't dare use a beat repeat). And don't even dare try to run anything in Ableton if you are doing a tempo change.

Actually we had a tempo change in our set, 128 -> 140. We had to plan it out(I drop out everything, start playing a pad from the 140 track, he fades out his parts except for one that sounded good at 140) but it was basically flawless(as flawless as midi sync can ge). But yeah, not perfect, and can tank at any time if you really peg the CPU. And this was Ableton-Ableton, not Traktor-Ableton, if that makes a difference.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM
I got Ableton yesterday and I seem to be getting the hang of it to an extent, but I ran into a really annoying problem where I try uploading Impulse and the drum samples won't play! Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

EDIT: For some reason, the presets that the tutorial says exist aren't showing up on my copy either.

ALEX TRILLTON fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 23, 2012

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that kinda sounds like a messed/incomplete install ... make sure your copy is legit.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 8, 2014

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is there a way to change the range of pitch bend in midi data? I want to do some massive bends and slides but it doesn't reach very far.

e: I don't understand why the rhythm grid disappears in this mode too. Is there a way to turn it on, so you can time bends precisely?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Popcorn posted:

Is there a way to change the range of pitch bend in midi data? I want to do some massive bends and slides but it doesn't reach very far.

Some softsynths allow you to change the range of pitch bend within the instrument, I don't know if changing the actual midi data is possible though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, i'm sorry (and surprised) to hear that you guys are still having sync issues. Honestly, for the purposes I mentioned before (including Beat Repeat), I've literally NEVER had a problem as long as Live is receiving sync. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. :(

Content: what's the latest on Live 9?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

slardel posted:

Some softsynths allow you to change the range of pitch bend within the instrument, I don't know if changing the actual midi data is possible though.

Thanks. I found the pitch bend control in the VST.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Sorry to keep beating this sync thing to death, but I had a brainwave. It sounds like the issue is the machine generating the clock signal - as soon as it's taxed, things go to hell. What about some sort of third device that is ONLY generating the clock/BPM and nothing else? Does such a device exist? Then both performance laptops could receive the signal only, and that might wipe out the problem. I guess we could do something like a cheap laptop with an external MIDI interface with multiple MIDI outs, but I'm wondering if there's something else cheaper and more purpose built. A drum machine or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I can't figure out how to send one track to multiple audio tracks.

I'm trying to group and frequency split a couple of basslines.
I have 2 tracks (A & B) and I want to send both of them to the same two audio tracks (C & D).

Track C is lowpassed around 200hz and track D is highpassed around there.

I can only figure out how to send tracks A & B to either C or D.

Can anyone help?