Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
I was trying to remove the wiper motor and trans off my 93 K1500 and cant figure out how to get it disconected from the wiper arms... I can get it unbolted from the fire wall but could not tell how to unhook it from the drat linkage.

Really sucks having to pop the hood and whack the motor to get them working in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
For race use only.

Subframe and differential bushings.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Replaced some decrepid looking accessory belts and did an oil change that was long over due on my 90 volvo 740. Now I just need to do brakes on all 4 corners and about a million other little things that I cant be arsed to do.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

A lot of USDM GM's actually put the map lights on the back/bottom of the rearview mirror, with switches immediately under the mirror itself.

Admittedly, that's a genius way to add "map lights" to a car with no room for them elsewhere, even if the wiring is a bit ugly. I'm actually really tempted to do that to my car - it's a lot easier than hacking a hole into the headliner.

I never paid too much attention to where the lights are in the Fairlane. I made a point of looking last night and was reminded why I never use the map lights. the dome / map light is so far back that it's almost over the bottom of the back seat. Remember the Fairlane is the LWB variant of the Falcon. So to use it I have to sort of bend sideways and twist around backwards to reach the light. It has a sunroof so the position sort of makes sense but there was enough space up front where they put the sunroof switch to put a couple of map lights to the sides. WTF Ford?

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
Intake, strut bar and sub frame mounts for the 9-3. My car sounds like Darth Vader now it's awesome. if anyone else has a 9-3 the strut bar is a great upgrade and I would highly recommend it from genuinesaab.com.

Bonus picture of the ducks that hang out at my moms place

They cross a busy street to hang out and eat bird seed, same couple, every day.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I mangled 2 seat belt buckles to replace the innards of one of them. What holds the latch in place in my old Caprice is a bent piece of metal that acts like a spring. Decades of use finally caused the driver's latch spring to break, so I pried apart a latch from a Cadillac to retrieve slightly rustier, but less broken spring assembly. They aren't really made to be disassembled, hence the mangling.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

koollook124 posted:

If anyone else has a 9-3 the strut bar is a great upgrade and I would highly recommend it from genuinesaab.com.

I thought these were pretty unnecessary when the strut tower was so close to the firewall?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

koollook124 posted:

Intake, strut bar and sub frame mounts for the 9-3. My car sounds like Darth Vader now it's awesome. if anyone else has a 9-3 the strut bar is a great upgrade and I would highly recommend it from genuinesaab.com.
They cross a busy street to hang out and eat bird seed, same couple, every day.

Christ, I wouldn't recommend just about anything from GenuineSaab. Their customer service is absolute garbage and their products aren't much better.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

For race use only.

Subframe and differential bushings.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "For racing use only" on a car product mean two terrible things. One, they don't want to be liable for equipment failure (or couldn't pass the necessary safety inspections for highway use) and two, it's only good enough to use for a day and then you should probably throw it away.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Sometimes it means "don't hit a pothole with this on or your mounts will shred".

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Mr.Peabody posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "For racing use only" on a car product mean two terrible things. One, they don't want to be liable for equipment failure (or couldn't pass the necessary safety inspections for highway use) and two, it's only good enough to use for a day and then you should probably throw it away.

I think in this particular case it means "These are really stiff and solid and aren't suitable for a car that is pleasant to drive on the street"

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Installed my Magnaflow axle-back on the GT500. What mufflers?

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Filled my beater MR2 with stopleak (What I get for throwing a cheap headgasket on a warped head). Had to use a screw driver to jam all the little pellets down the nozzle. Use 1/2 can for a 4 cylinder. Whole can it is then. :haw:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Helped a buddy swap out the halogen headlights on his A4 with a set of bixenons. Another friend with a DTM S4 showed up too.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Washed and waxed the Mazda first thing this morning.

Wax on:

Wax off:

(hood)

Used Meguiar's 26 for the wax, Tuff Stuff on the wheels, and armor all foam on the tires.

Then I decided to take the muffler off and shoot this clip once I realized how bad it sounded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8H__LA9Wgk&feature=youtube_gdata

I put it back on when I got home.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So I got the Hankook Ventus' on my car and HOLY loving poo poo! It's such a night and day difference between my old tires (Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S) and the new Hankooks. The ride is so much smoother, I don't feel each and every single hairline crack in the road, and road noise is reduced tenfold. I'm so happy with my purchase/investment. I'd highly recommend these if you're looking for new tires.

DropShadow posted:

Helped a buddy swap out the halogen headlights on his A4 with a set of bixenons. Another friend with a DTM S4 showed up too.

I love the B7 Avant rear :allears:

On topic: I dropped my car off for a headliner replacement/swap (mine had a horribly done suede install that was sagging tits), cam seals, valve cover gaskets, other various top end engine seals, timing belt, waterpump, thermostat, some cluster FUSE error issue, and I am swapping my ebay exhaust for a Borla. I'm VERY excite to get my car back with a good bill of health and about all issues with it solved!

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 1, 2012

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Wiseco Pistons, Eagle Rods, Exedy Clutch, Timing belt kit

I should be more excited about this. I'm kind of terrified.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I disconnected my Subaru's battery to reset the security system. That finally allowed me to get the car to give an audible signal when the doors are locked via remote, which is very helpful on sunny days. However, I still haven't been able to get the car to enter the remote programming mode. Until I can, my second key fob is useless. It might have to do with the ignition having been replaced at some point before I bought the car. Different key and whatnot.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Installed my Magnaflow axle-back on the GT500. What mufflers?

Shouldn't the rears on a car with that kind of power be a lot wider?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Abused it. The VW that is. used it as a tractor again. This time to play caravan tetris using a tiedown strap tied on to one of the roo bar uprights and one of the rear uprights on the caravan. How it didn't snap I don't know. It was a 500kg strap but I was shifting a ~1300kg caravan which hadn't moved for ages and on really soft ground.
I still haven't finished the cooling system but it never hot 100*C even lugging it at idle. The thermo fan comes on about 2* above thermostat full open so I;m happy with that. once I stop the direct path for hot air to be recirculated through the rad the fan should be needed even less.

I really would like a winch. The frequency which I abuse the roo bar and tiedown straps to drag things is way too high.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Das Volk posted:

Shouldn't the rears on a car with that kind of power be a lot wider?

The rears are 285's, but they can't really cope all of the time. So the answer to your question is YES. Add to that the fact that they have very little sidewall and it makes it tricky to get a proper take-off.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008

dustywusty posted:

Christ, I wouldn't recommend just about anything from GenuineSaab. Their customer service is absolute garbage and their products aren't much better.

Can't really vouch for the service as I had no issues that required contacting them. I do have to say the intake parts were a perfect fit and I was very satisfied with the quality of the materials. As for the strut bar the car is noticeably more stable over pot holes and railroad tracks, which is what I was looking for. I'll be adding some sub frame mounts soon so ill check in if those are good.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Installed aluminum pedal covers mostly because they were $10 and covered up the missing pad on my clutch pedal.

Also installed a Pioneer GEX-P20HD hybrid digital tuner which plugged into my CD deck, which replaced the factory tape player. So far, only one radio station in town broadcasts in HD. Frownie face.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is that a Subaru of some kind? The shifter, handbrake and "AWD" sticker look familiar, but the cupholder and the fan speed dial are weird.

I'm guessing from the cruise control stalk that it's a post-98 something, probably not an Impreza?

e: Forester? Seat fabric looks weird.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 2, 2012

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

2000 Legacy L

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Productive day on my VE Commodore (I.e. a V6 Pontiac G8):

165,000km handbook service with fully synthetic oil and new cartridge filter.
Plus rear brake pads, because they had maybe 2000km left.
Plus a K&N air filter, because racecar.
Plus installed a cabin pollen filter, because they don't have one standard.
Plus a coolant drain, flush, and refill, because I had to replace a weeping heater hose.

Being fussy, I replaced the pair of hoses instead of just the weeping one, and I also mixed the coolant with demineralized water instead of tap water.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
Got the dreaded call...

1:180
2:100
3:150
4:30

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

:eng99:

Snake oil suggestions before I pay some ricer to do a junkyard swap?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sponge! posted:

Got the dreaded call...

1:180
2:100
3:150
4:30

......and this is in regards to?

The next step is a leak down test to determine where the problem is. If it's top end and the rest appears to be in good shape, I really don't see how "junk yard motor" is the next logical step.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

......and this is in regards to?

The next step is a leak down test to determine where the problem is. If it's top end and the rest appears to be in good shape, I really don't see how "junk yard motor" is the next logical step.

This. It could just be a hosed valve or something.
I don't see how a new motor is easier than replacing piston rings.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got new shoes on the MS6, have stability while driving sure is nice!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This. It could just be a hosed valve or something.
I don't see how a new motor is easier than replacing piston rings.

That definitely depends on what its in, which is why I was asking (i.e. thinks like S10s where you can drop the pan without pulling the motor - brilliant design). But top end/hosed up valve? No way I'm swapping a motor over that.

And remember, I'm the kind of idiot who owns vehicles where entire motors are basically consumable items, so it's not like I think swapping a motor is some grand project.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Diagnosed a bad wheel bearing/hub :sigh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nodoze posted:

Diagnosed a bad wheel bearing/hub :sigh:

symptoms? vehicle?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

symptoms? vehicle?

Bad wheel bearing noise sound while driving and when I jacked up the car the wheel has more lateral play than it should (none). It's not an overly challenging job, I'm just lazy

lathode
Mar 29, 2010
I replaced the front brakes on my Cherokee myself, was pretty simple except for the cold and rain. The old pads had cracks in them and the outer 1/3 or so of the rotors were warped? wavy? I don't know the correct term. After looking at how to do the rear drums I decided to take it to a shop, good thing too since the wheel cylinders were leaking and the parking brake cable spring thing was frayed. $75 for labor well worth it. drat PO did no preventative maintenance on this thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

lathode posted:

the outer 1/3 or so of the rotors were warped? wavy? I don't know the correct term.

They had ridges in them? That's not warped, that just normal wear that needs to be machined flat or you just replace them. "Rotor warping" is something different and very uncommon.

lathode posted:

After looking at how to do the rear drums I decided to take it to a shop, good thing too since the wheel cylinders were leaking and the parking brake cable spring thing was frayed. $75 for labor well worth it.

Not a bad price, but if you you were able to do the fronts you can absolutely pull of that repair in the back. Next time. It's not hard....the only big difference is bleeding the brakes when you're done (if you're changing cylinders).

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Goodbye old ignition system!

...oh. Cylinder 2 plug was cross threaded and wasn't sealing (previous owner), letting everything blow past it and that's why it failed emissions :ughh:.

Time to buy a tap for the head. The new plugs will have to wait.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Waxed the GTI today. No matter how hard I try I cant take good pics of this car but it looks pretty boss in person for a 17 year old black car.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the wife's G8 to the drag strip for t he first time. Ran a best of 13.24 @ 105mph without really launching the car. I was just left-foot braking at the line and leaving basically at idle. If I can get my 60 foot time a bit better, I am confident it can run in the 12's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnIxX_9iKqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Billy Tully posted:

Waxed the GTI today. No matter how hard I try I cant take good pics of this car but it looks pretty boss in person for a 17 year old black car.

Looks great

I've been attempting to sort out my fathers black Fiesta which for some reason seems to be a scratch/stone chip magnet. Got it looking great in photos but its still a disaster up close