Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

crazypeltast52 posted:

Hey, random question about Renly-Loras: is Renly established as a top or are they generic tv gay? Jamie's reference to holes even Renly never found and the slurp scene in season one seem to support this, giving us an interesting juxtaposition that Loras, the masterful lancer and warrior, isn't the one doing the spearing. Yep, this is the bad thread :gay:

He is Loras' king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

He is Loras' king.

Not in the bedroom if we take Doreah's sex lesson for Dany with any juxtaposition.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

geeves posted:

Not in the bedroom if we take Doreah's sex lesson for Dany with any juxtaposition.

I somehow doubt Loras has had instructions from a whore. Unless...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Renly is totally the top.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

I somehow doubt Loras has had instructions from a whore. Unless...

Next up on HBO: Real Sex: Lessons from the Littlest Finger

And yeah LF was dumb in that scene but I still like it when Cersei gets told how it is.

Now I got to decide whether I want a Mel or Margaery avatar

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

bigmcgaffney posted:

Now I got to decide whether I want a Mel or Margaery avatar

Counter option: A picture of Ser Dontos Hollard with a quote about American foreign policy. It'll make you seem edgy.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Aurubin posted:

Counter option: A picture of Ser Dontos Hollard with a quote about American foreign policy. It'll make you seem edgy.
For trolling purposes I think a Joffrey avatar would work well.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Its all just a placeholder until ~my Daario~ enters the scene. Maybe in a couple episodes something will speak to my soul of souls.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The thing that surprised me about Episode 1 was how much they trimmed down the Lightbringer/Azor Ahai myth. They pretty much turned it into "Once upon a time, some guy pulled a sword out of a fire. Now watch as Stannis pulls a sword out of a fire." Unless they're going to revisit this story later, it seems like they're removing this entire plot element. Could this be an indication that the whole Lightbringer/Azor Ahai stuff doesn't actually go anywhere? I'm only curious because I've heard so many theories about how "X is actually Azor Ahai reborn and Y is their symbolic Lightbringer."

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

The thing that surprised me about Episode 1 was how much they trimmed down the Lightbringer/Azor Ahai myth. They pretty much turned it into "Once upon a time, some guy pulled a sword out of a fire. Now watch as Stannis pulls a sword out of a fire." Unless they're going to revisit this story later, it seems like they're removing this entire plot element. Could this be an indication that the whole Lightbringer/Azor Ahai stuff doesn't actually go anywhere? I'm only curious because I've heard so many theories about how "X is actually Azor Ahai reborn and Y is their symbolic Lightbringer."

Was Salladhor Saan cast? Hopefully we'll get more of the story of Azor Ahai when Davos meets with him. It just might have been too much exposition to get in to the episode when it really was more important to establish the Dragonstone characters.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

mind the walrus posted:

That scene was extra-grade retarded. I get that the whole point is that Littlefinger oversteps his bounds, but he was doing everything short of saying "I run the kingdom now because I know a dirty secret about you." Yeah yeah Cersei was taunting him, I still call bullshit.

He's a smarter character than that, and as a smaller guy who has spent his life serving richer aristocrats he should already be well-loving-versed in the age-old practice of "I'm bigger/richer than you, therefore I can do what I want to you." I'll grant he needed to forget that for the purposes of the scene and it suits a human being to make a bad judgment call in the heat of a moment, but they still needed to tone down his threats. But if they did I guess the bottom 10% of viewers might not realize what he's on about. Ah, visual drama :allears:

You're probably right that they did it to make sure the dumb people know what's happening, but it also helped re-establish how touchy he is about Cat and how she turned him down for the Starks and he never measured up. That's going to come into play for his character pretty soon, so it's nice to be reminded of it in a scene that can also show how nuts Cersei really is.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Mnemosyne posted:

It's only been one episode and there were like 4 or 5 different plot arcs to cover. We didn't even see Renly

crazypeltast52 posted:

Hey, random question about Renly-Loras: is Renly established as a top or are they generic tv gay? Jamie's reference to holes even Renly never found and the slurp scene in season one seem to support this, giving us an interesting juxtaposition that Loras, the masterful lancer and warrior, isn't the one doing the spearing. Yep, this is the bad thread :gay:

and I cannot even believe this isn't the gayest post in this thread

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

nuncle jimbo posted:

and I cannot even believe this isn't the gayest post in this thread

speaking of 'gayest' was hard gay Dolorous Edd in that episode? I think I missed him waiting in anticipation for Renly/Loras that never happened.

Really, the only bad thing about the episode was the lovely comet. The moment it popped up I told my girlfriend they were going to use it as a transition. Then they did. Like 5 times. If that goes on all season, only to have it disappear one day, then I swear...

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Dolorous Edd explained the way things work in Crasta's Keep, and told Ser Gapes Alot and Ser Anorexic that he was born in a place like it, that has since fallen into disrepair without his faaaaaaabulous touch.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Speculation that Gendry is the dark-haired son of Cersei and Robert is the saddest speculation because said child doesn't actually exist in the books and no one can tell them :ohdear:

:wookie:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

bigmcgaffney posted:

Speculation that Gendry is the dark-haired son of Cersei and Robert is the saddest speculation because said child doesn't actually exist in the books and no one can tell them :ohdear:

I felt so bad I couldn't help them. Such is the curse of the Bad Thread.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Speculation that Gendry does anything of interest is pretty sad in general.

I guess he has two more books in which to be useful, though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Did my main man Dolorous Edd seriously drop the best line of the whole book in that episode and I missed it or are you all kidding? I didn't even see him. I figured it was being skipped over because in the books he's saying that about an abandoned wildling "town", not Crasters' place.

Crasters' place is like the Ritz to good ol' DE.

Edit: Gendry has to be one of the people the show guys were talking about changing up a bit. If I were in charge he would be Arya's second "teacher" on her way to becoming a badass and he involves himself a bit more in her poo poo up to wherever he just sort of wanders off with Dondarrion and all them.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 2, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

It's a fantasy series.

She should just be automatically good at being queen. This argument is like saying JK Rowling didn't spend enough time on Harry and pals making flash cards for Magic Administration 203 and getting the shits from magic cafeteria food.

"It's a fantasy series" doesn't automatically imply anything, actually.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Haven't gotten to seeing S2E1 yet (I'm in Finland), but was anyone else bothered by how Jaime's name was pronounced in season 1?

In my mind I've always pronounced it like the name "James" without the s. But in the show they pronounced it more like "Jamie".

Ah, loving gurm and his stupid names. There's no reason Jaime couldn't have been James and Joffrey Geoffrey and Eddard Edward and and and

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Elves
Dwarves
Dragons
Swords
Bows
Magic
Giants

Yep. Never expect any of that in fantasy books.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: Gendry has to be one of the people the show guys were talking about changing up a bit. If I were in charge he would be Arya's second "teacher" on her way to becoming a badass and he involves himself a bit more in her poo poo up to wherever he just sort of wanders off with Dondarrion and all them.

Why make Gendry Arya's "teacher" when we have Jaqen?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Jaíme Lannister, secret mexican

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

speaking of 'gayest' was hard gay Dolorous Edd in that episode? I think I missed him waiting in anticipation for Renly/Loras that never happened.

Really, the only bad thing about the episode was the lovely comet. The moment it popped up I told my girlfriend they were going to use it as a transition. Then they did. Like 5 times. If that goes on all season, only to have it disappear one day, then I swear...

I almost forgot about the comet. Another abandoned idea.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

el_brio posted:

Elves
Dwarves
Dragons
Swords
Bows
Magic
Giants

Yep. Never expect any of that in fantasy books.

Lies of Locke Lamora has almost none of these things, and it's a fantasy novel. You listed tropes, but that doesn't automatically mean they'll be there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Methinks you missed a layer of sarcasm.

IRQ posted:

It's a fantasy series.

She should just be automatically good at being queen. This argument is like saying JK Rowling didn't spend enough time on Harry and pals making flash cards for Magic Administration 203 and getting the shits from magic cafeteria food.

To be fair, Rowling's world of magic and bullshittery is so hilariously broken it's honestly impossible to take even half-seriously. Some goon put forth a pet theory in a GBS thread that the only way to enjoy all the logical errors in that series such as "why the gently caress don't they use the Time-Turner all the loving time?" or "how has no other wizard perfected GPS parchment?" is to see the entire series as a "low-level run" of a hideously broken RPG. Hermione is the XP sink, they abuse sidequests like the Parchment GPS but are operating under the condition of not abusing the Time-Turner, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't make the series tidy and logical, but it goes a long way to cover up the myriad plot holes and horrific implications of the universe Rowling sets up.

I've got to give GRRM-y that; he at least managed to keep his universe's crazy magic rules from compounding on themselves in an orgy of nonsense for at least three books before deciding every corner of the universe has their own zombie spells.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

geeves posted:

I can't wait for all the newbies to start speculating that he's Syrio Forel reborn, because god-loving-forbid the fan-favorite 'uncle/mentor I never had' character actually die.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Methinks you missed a layer of sarcasm.

To be fair, Rowling's world of magic and bullshittery is so hilariously broken it's honestly impossible to take even half-seriously. Some goon put forth a pet theory in a GBS thread that the only way to enjoy all the logical errors in that series such as "why the gently caress don't they use the Time-Turner all the loving time?" or "how has no other wizard perfected GPS parchment?" is to see the entire series as a "low-level run" of a hideously broken RPG. Hermione is the XP sink, they abuse sidequests like the Parchment GPS but are operating under the condition of not abusing the Time-Turner, etc. etc. etc. It doesn't make the series tidy and logical, but it goes a long way to cover up the myriad plot holes and horrific implications of the universe Rowling sets up.

I've got to give GRRM-y that; he at least managed to keep his universe's crazy magic rules from compounding on themselves in an orgy of nonsense for at least three books before deciding every corner of the universe has their own zombie spells.

Thank you for this!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

I can't wait for all the newbies to start speculating that he's Syrio Forel reborn, because god-loving-forbid the fan-favorite 'uncle/mentor I never had' character actually die.

I remember causing a small fuss when I mentioned that Miltos Yeromelou was credited in Fire and Blood as "prisoner" referring to the guy who had a bag over his head in the wagon cage. I cannot remember if it was in this thread or the spoiler-free thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

geeves posted:

Because Jaqen has poo poo to do and Gendry doesn't.

Jaqen already has his role in Arya's (thus far) arc of having experiences and people pushing her towards badass assassin, Gendry doesn't really do much other than find out he's one of Roberts bastards with Arya in the book. Especially considering he's already had screentime devoted to him it would be really off just to have him go through his stuff and then peace out like he does in the book so far.

I'm thinking if they're going to have him be a thing why not have him take some of Yoren's moments of beating it into Arya's head that she's in some deep poo poo and she needs to stop being such a little brat before she gets herself killed or dragged back to Kings Landing.

el_brio posted:

I almost forgot about the comet. Another abandoned idea.

It's a comet, what's it gonna do? come down and declare itself the king of space and try to marry a sand snake?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 2, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

I am looking forward to Jaqen so much.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Found an awesome gem in the non-spoiler TVIV thread:

Dolash posted:

What gets me though is that although it was interesting to see Jaime be properly afraid, breaking down under his imprisonment, it's not really going to go anywhere. He's not going to turn against the Lannisters and he has no information to give up. He's just a hostage, a bargaining chip for a trade. When he is returned to his family (and he's much too much of an interesting character to die of infection or accident in Robb's camp), I don't see anything yet that suggests significant character changes.

Get ready to be surprised :smug:

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a comet, what's it gonna do? come down and declare itself the king of space and try to marry a sand snake?

It's a completely undeveloped half-assed plot element that GRRM probably forgot about. The series is filled with them.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I'm surprised that Dolash guy hasn't just gone and read all the books, given his predilection to overanalysis and walls of text. He's pretty on point regarding a lot of it though.

edit: the comet should smash into the planet and we find out it is a ruby statue from another universe possibly filled with alien souls

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 2, 2012

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Lies of Locke Lamora has almost none of these things, and it's a fantasy novel. You listed tropes, but that doesn't automatically mean they'll be there.

I wasn't suggesting that that they will automatically be there... I am suggesting that it is automatically implied, which is what you said.

"'It's a fantasy series' doesn't automatically imply anything, actually. " I couldn't disagree more. It implies all of the things I listed.

el_brio fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 2, 2012

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

el_brio posted:

It's a completely undeveloped half-assed plot element that GRRM probably forgot about. The series is filled with them.

I just don't think it was supposed to be that big of a deal to begin with, it's a decent vehicle for both the book and the show to link together a bunch of people who are now spread out from eachother without any kind of instantaneous communication or even points of reference. It lets a few characters project their feelings about what they think is about to happen....but I'm still saying: it's a comet. What possible actual impact could it have on the story that isn't mega-ridiculous?

And once again now that I've said this the GURM has re-written the end of the story to have the comet be a space targ returning to claim his space throne.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bigmcgaffney posted:

edit: the comet should smash into the planet and we find out it is a ruby statue Douglas DC-8 from another universe possibly filled with alien souls

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I just don't think it was supposed to be that big of a deal to begin with, it's a decent vehicle for both the book and the show to link together a bunch of people who are now spread out from eachother without any kind of instantaneous communication or even points of reference. It lets a few characters project their feelings about what they think is about to happen....but I'm still saying: it's a comet. What possible actual impact could it have on the story that isn't mega-ridiculous?

And once again now that I've said this the GURM has re-written the end of the story to have the comet be a space targ returning to claim his space throne.

It just seemed to disappear though... it was there and it was getting closer and then nothing (kind of like everything else in the series, including the next book)

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere

mind the walrus posted:

Hahaha while reading the books, this thought popped in my mind for a split second, but then I rejected it almost immediately because that would be immensely retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Be careful, there are fan theories that so very desperately want to believe that Syrio was an agent of the Faceless Men and has been recruiting Arya since the very beginning. I'm not even going to say that's the worst idea for the long haul, but to say that Syrio escaped and somehow made his face into Jaquen is just too much contrivance.