Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

TRY IT. It is really good. If you don't have spicy chili crisp, you should DEFINITELY get some. Throw it into a simple stir fry for some nice Sichuan flavors. It comes in a jar with a red label, a picture of a slightly upset woman, and is made by Laoganma. I...do not know how to type the characters. But it's really easy to find, and it says "Spicy Chili Crisp" right on the jar.

That angry-looking woman makes all kinds of wonderful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love that stuff. It's great on pretty much everything. I've even just eaten it on fresh baked bread or tossed in spaghetti, no joke.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This is about the unhealthiest thing ever, but the Laoganma with rutabaga is really good on chicharonnes too.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

This is about the unhealthiest thing ever, but the Laoganma with rutabaga is really good on chicharonnes too.

:stare: you beautiful human being, you. :stare:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

GrAviTy84 posted:

:stare: you beautiful human being, you. :stare:

Enjoy sparingly!

But yeah my girlfriend's family uses this stuff all the time in everything and kinda got my family hooked on it. I've been trying to figure out what to do with the black bean Laoganma but I can't seem to figure out what it's supposed to go with. About the best thing I've found is mixing a little in with rice, edamame and pork slow-cooked with garlic, bay leaf, star anise, and cinnamon.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 2, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:stare: I assumed all the other Laoganma products were just standard ingredients, not other bits of magic. Guess what I'm doing next grocery trip...

God dammit I don't need more jars of Chinese ingredients on my shelves...really, the only hard thing about Chinese cooking is stocking the pantry. I have far too many of these things now.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Any Lao Gan Ma + soy sauce/sugar/vinegar (use whichever combo you prefer) on spaghetti is delicious. Or with tofu.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ONEbC0FWmXw/TFnr-UtZFmI/AAAAAAAAPSQ/G8-DV1TCm_8/s1600/IMG_4430.JPG

Had to look up this stuff and started laughing when I saw it

Tin Foil
Aug 12, 2004
My mom gave me a bunch of pig's ears. Any ideas on what I can do with them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
From a family experience, toss them

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

what?! Pig ears are delicious. I don't know any Chinese recipes, but you can make Sisig with them http://goonswithspoons.com/Sisig

Edit: also this: http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-cook-pig-ears/

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 2, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Scott Bakula posted:

:getout:

My family normally slow cooks them then slice and stir fry with veggies. They're delicious, the cartridge turns into delicious meat pudding. :3:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Scott Bakula posted:

Toss em with soy and lao gan ma after you boil em. You can season em the same way you would Fu Qi Fei Pian from earlier in the thread.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Steve Yun posted:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ONEbC0FWmXw/TFnr-UtZFmI/AAAAAAAAPSQ/G8-DV1TCm_8/s1600/IMG_4430.JPG

Had to look up this stuff and started laughing when I saw it

She knows it's good stuff, she doesn't have to impress you.

ovanova
Feb 27, 2012

IoT posted:

Any ideas what I can cook with approx 300ml Shoaxing Chinese Rice Wine? (Silk Road brand). I bought a bottle yesterday at my local Asian supermarket to get the value of my purchases over the threshold so I could pay by card.

Tried drinking a glass with the stir fry I cooked last night and didn't like it.

Hoping that if I cook with it I wont have to waste any.
piggybacking on everyone else, most rice wines are salted and would taste nasty as gently caress if you drank it, and it really is not hard at all to use rice wine. I keep bottles of both shaoxing and michiu (generic Chinese rice spirit) for cooking, and I have some craft sake which I use in place of michiu when I wanna impress friends. Or when I just want to drink some loving sake.

:stare: I assumed all the other Laoganma products were just standard ingredients, not other bits of magic. Guess what I'm doing next grocery trip...

God dammit I don't need more jars of Chinese ingredients on my shelves...really, the only hard thing about Chinese cooking is stocking the pantry. I have far too many of these things now.
I rarely even cook east Asian food (once every other week, max) and I've got about 15 jars of random Asian sauces in the fridge.... It's a serious problem. :(

ovanova fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 4, 2012

Symbol
Jul 31, 2010

ovanova posted:

I rarely even cook east Asian food (once every other week, max) and I've got about 15 jars of random Asian sauces in the fridge.... It's a serious problem. :(
I have the same problem with Indian spices. They've taken over my kitchen cabinet! So far I've only got a few jars of sauces and pastes in the fridge, but it's a slippery slope.

And on a completely different note: Chinese eggplant + Korean chili bean paste == great success!
It's not quite the same as the eggplant dish my landlady used to make, but it achieves the same deliciousness quotient. (I think she may have done something similar minus the bean paste. I may experiment with this theory later.)

Red braised pork was also completely amazing. That one's definitely going on the list to make again soon!

Also tried the gai lan recipe with actual gai lan and... I think I actually prefer bok choy. (Made for an interesting dinner overall though: Chinese broccoli, Indian rice, and Thai curry.) :p

The Chinese sausages that I got before were very small and somewhat sweet. The instructions said to boil and then fry them and drat they were tasty.
I found some different (longer and maybe slightly drier?) Chinese sausages this time. These ones are apparently meant to be steamed and then sliced. Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but I'm curious to see how they compare to the little ones.
I'll look for bacon or ham next time. :)

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
^^^ I keep going to my local Asian grocery store and picking up random jars of poo poo I can't read and buying them. My refrigerator is 75% condiments...

Sionak posted:

A restaurant near me has a really good "Yellow bean fish" or "yellow bean tofu". I'd like to try to recreate it, but I haven't had any luck at all finding recipes. It has a slightly salty yellow bean sauce with lots of ginger and garlic.

I found a container of yellowish soybeans at the local Asian market, but I really don't know where to go from here. Would the fish usually be steamed with the sauce, ginger and garlic, or is that added later?

Edit: here's a picture!

This might be completely wrong, but there is this stuff. According to my completely untrained eye, it seems that the fish is steamed separately due to it's lack of color. That seems like a weird way to do it, but what do I know... That might not be what you're looking for but there is some really awesome thai stuff on there.

Speaking of which, I notice there only seems to be a Chinese thread and no other specific asian cuisine thread. Is this a general asian thread or is there nowhere to talk about Thai food?

vvv As a lame white dude who has no experience with authentic asian anything, I would not be qualified. I do have a number of good recipes though so maybe I could get the ball rolling for the actually skilled people to step in.

pogothemonkey0 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 8, 2012

Altair X89
Jul 27, 2002
There used to be a Vietnamese thread and a Phillipino thread, I don't recall a Thai one but nothing's stopping somebody from making one. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Altair X89 posted:

There used to be a Vietnamese thread and a Phillipino thread, I don't recall a Thai one but nothing's stopping somebody from making one. :)

Both Vietnamese (written by mich) and Filipino (written by me) were victims of Whirled Peas. There were Thai and Chinese ones, as well as Indian a while back that fell into archives. I don't know if mich planned on reviving the Vietnamese thread at some point, but I planned on doing more with the Filipino one in the near future.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Pilipino_Pood

http://goonswithspoons.com/Category:Mich%27s_Recipes

naughty joystick
Jun 6, 2011

Sionak posted:

A restaurant near me has a really good "Yellow bean fish" or "yellow bean tofu". I'd like to try to recreate it, but I haven't had any luck at all finding recipes. It has a slightly salty yellow bean sauce with lots of ginger and garlic.

I found a container of yellowish soybeans at the local Asian market, but I really don't know where to go from here. Would the fish usually be steamed with the sauce, ginger and garlic, or is that added later?

Edit: here's a picture!

You're looking for 豆酥鱼. The topping is doushu, deep fried soybean suds leftover from making soymilk. From the webpage it's pretty much just steam the fish with ginger/green onion/cooking wine, then top with doushu stir fried with spicy douban sauce

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Are there any cookbooks for Chinese-American stuff? I sometimes want some of the classics and the restaurants where I live are pretty lovely...

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Does anyone have any experience with princess beef/chicken? Ever since trying it at a local "hunan village" it has quickly become my favorite, but can't seem to find any recipes online. The beef/chicken outside is quite crispy, with what seems to be a ton of garlic and heat too.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Thanks for the help with the yellow bean fish - I'll look for the dried mashed soy beans at the local markets. That is definitely the part that I'm missing.

I tried steaming the fish separately with ginger and cooking wine, so I was close on that part. However, using the bottled yellowish soybeans was way too salty, and didn't really work when I tried to stir fry them.

Thanks to the thread as a whole - without it I don't think I would have tried stir-frying again after a few failures on a cast-iron "wok" my parents found at World Market. Thanks to these recipes I've made my own delicious mapo tofu, fish-fragrant pork, and red-braised pork. (The red braised pork was especially nice since I had some pork chops that were too fatty to grill but perfect for braising.)

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Are there any cookbooks for Chinese-American stuff? I sometimes want some of the classics and the restaurants where I live are pretty lovely...
Any Cantonese cookbook from the 1970's.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sionak posted:

Thanks for the help with the yellow bean fish - I'll look for the dried mashed soy beans at the local markets. That is definitely the part that I'm missing.

I bought a jar this weekend at my local Asian grocer that had the label "Fried Crispy Soybean". It even had a picture of the fish dish on the label.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

feelz good man posted:

Any Cantonese cookbook from the 1970's.
Well, the used bookstore has a ton of old cookbooks, so I guess I'll check there.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

question!

I'm trying to make a cold tofu noodle salad with carrot matchsticks and cilantro. I have been adding equal parts soy sauce, black vinegar, and seasame oil and it tastes okay, but not quite right.

Does anyone have a recipe for it? Also, the tofu shreds are firmer and coarser than I remember. I don't imagine there is a way to soften them somehow? Or, now I suspect I'm supposed to buy packages labeled tofu noodles instead of tofu shreds.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

squigadoo posted:

question!

I'm trying to make a cold tofu noodle salad with carrot matchsticks and cilantro. I have been adding equal parts soy sauce, black vinegar, and seasame oil and it tastes okay, but not quite right.

Does anyone have a recipe for it? Also, the tofu shreds are firmer and coarser than I remember. I don't imagine there is a way to soften them somehow? Or, now I suspect I'm supposed to buy packages labeled tofu noodles instead of tofu shreds.

Needs sugar, some hondashi, and a touch of ginger. Sub out rice wine vinegar for black. You need to buy softer tofu if you want it to be softer.

Edit: Unless you're talking about the tofu-type shirataki. You need to buy that already made into noodles, unless you really want to trial and error a proprietary factory made product.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Need some help here! How do I steam a good catfish? I bought an iced catfish from ranch 99 today and I put it in a two-layer steam pot, with a plate as support. I added some garlic and green onions to the mix and I crossed my fingers.

What I was hoping for was one of those steamed catfish you get from the chinese restaurants, with the really sweet soy sauce.

What I got was...indescribably fishy. I don't know why my catfish tasted like, really really fishy and the restaurant one tasted mild and sweet. Any suggestions?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I don't know if it's what you're used to, but Shanghai-style steamed fish is a splash of wine, splash light soy, light sprinkling sugar, salt & MSG, scatter julienned scallions and ginger on top. Garlic if you feel like it. The wine and the soy "purify" the flavour of the fish and enrichen it.

Oh, and remember not to turn the fish over when you've eaten one side - remove the bone and continue. The bones are a special treat, chew and suck on them then spit out like a total pro :)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, someone tell me what it is about Taiwanese food that makes everything feel lacquered and glossy? Is it the corn starch?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Sjurygg posted:

I don't know if it's what you're used to, but Shanghai-style steamed fish is a splash of wine, splash light soy, light sprinkling sugar, salt & MSG, scatter julienned scallions and ginger on top. Garlic if you feel like it. The wine and the soy "purify" the flavour of the fish and enrichen it.

Oh, and remember not to turn the fish over when you've eaten one side - remove the bone and continue. The bones are a special treat, chew and suck on them then spit out like a total pro :)

Thanks, I didn't realize that the wine helps mask fishiness. The soy sauce alone wasn't doing enough, I think.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Your fish is probably old too. Fresh fish shouldn't taste or smell super fishy.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I think this is more Thai than Chinese, but anyone have a really good recipe for curry fried rice?

I have day-old rice, curry powder, chicken, carrots, scallions, cilantro, serrano peppers, and a pineapple. And I live a couple blocks from a normal grocery and a 20 minute walk from the Asian markets.

The curry fried rice I get at the local thai joints always have Sad Tomatoes on top as well, but I figured I'd skip that since they never get eaten.

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

enigma74 posted:

Need some help here! How do I steam a good catfish? I bought an iced catfish from ranch 99 today and I put it in a two-layer steam pot, with a plate as support. I added some garlic and green onions to the mix and I crossed my fingers.

What I was hoping for was one of those steamed catfish you get from the chinese restaurants, with the really sweet soy sauce.

What I got was...indescribably fishy. I don't know why my catfish tasted like, really really fishy and the restaurant one tasted mild and sweet. Any suggestions?

The way my family steams fish that way is to splash rice wine onto the fish and rub in white pepper and ginger onto the fish (inside and out)before steaming. While steaming, mix the soy sauce, sugar and cooked oil together and pour over fish after the steaming is done.

You should get live catfish if possible. The problem with fresh water fish is that they get fishy fast after they die.

Maverix0r
Apr 16, 2005

Legend of the West
I'm going to try to make a Szechuan dish called Chicken with Dried Chili Peppers tonight. I was just planning on winging a stir fry with dried chilies, whole garlics, some onions and the chicken. Anyone have any additional recipe/advice?

Thanks!

Nair McBoodles
Aug 24, 2003

This ain't nothing but a summer jam. We're gonna party as much as we can.

Maverix0r posted:

I'm going to try to make a Szechuan dish called Chicken with Dried Chili Peppers tonight. I was just planning on winging a stir fry with dried chilies, whole garlics, some onions and the chicken. Anyone have any additional recipe/advice?

Thanks!

Don't just wing it or you'll never get a total treasure trove of crispy crispy chicken bits! Look into dry frying technique to really get it right.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Dip your fish in milk before cooking... gets rid of the fishy smell.
Something about the casein in the milk binds to some amino acid in the fish that causes the smell, as I understand it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Nair McBoodles posted:

Don't just wing it or you'll never get a total treasure trove of crispy crispy chicken bits! Look into dry frying technique to really get it right.
To elaborate, Fuchsia Dunlop says to dry-fry chicken (do not marinate it!) in about 1/4 cup oil that's nearly smoking. I rarely make anything other than dry-fried green beans, but you cook it for a long time (for a stir-fry). About 4-5 minutes, depending on how much heat you have.

It's kind of like deep-frying. Just stir the chicken around the wok in the oil until it's super-crispy and delicious looking.

EDIT: does anyone have a picture of what some packages of Sichuan pickled mustard greens look like? My Asian grocer is Thai and she doesn't know which of the many, many packages of Chinese pickles I'm looking for...

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra
I was in China for a month last year and there are two things that I ate there that appear utterly impossible to find. I am going to butcher these names horribly:

Xan-xi Noodles: Huge, hand-shaved noodles that had its dough rolled and slammed into a steel table/wall. You could hear them banging and throwing the dough in the kitchen. When it was served they had to come and cut the things up since each noodle was about a foot long, an inch and a half wide and a quarter inch thick.

No one over here knows how they're made, no one knows where I can find someone who does (without going back to Beijing).

Shao Cao. Sichuan barbeque. This stuff is awesome. This is Shao Cao:

These are usually unlicensed street vendors and sometimes the police hassle them, but Chengdu cops are generally worthless. You stroll up after your latest bai jiu bender, select what you want from numerous meats, fungus and vegetables and hand it over to the guy at the grill. They grill it up and use all the mystery spices, as seen in the Chinese PowerAid bottles.

I've worked out that they use vegetable oil, MSG, hua jiao (numbing) powder, some custom 5-spice and chili powder. It's amazing and would consider going back to Chengdu just to have more.

Edit: The numbing pepper is actually called "hua jiao" or "cheng-jiao", not "wu jiao". I was thinking of 5 jiao (currency, half a yuan).

DrunkMidget fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 8, 2012