Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Feenix posted:

Yeahh,,, gently caress that company for not having the foresight to make it easy for you to fix it when you root around loving things up. Take some personal responsibility, why don't you?

maduin posted:

I don't know how to break it to you, but jailbreaking doesn't make your phone bigger.

This IS the jailbreaking thread, right? Where we discuss adding utility to the device we paid $300 for? Where the OP says theres no reason NOT to jailbreak? I really liked Plug and Play. And SBSettings. And Bite. Now I'll just settle for a working device.

Feenix posted:

We didn't code the jailbreak OR make the iPhone, so threatening to leave Apple kinda falls on deaf ears in this thread. We don't really care what you end up doing.

I asked for advice last night when I was simply trying to do a legit update to 5.1 and couldn't even do that without itunes crashing.
Besides, I could never get a droid. I'm creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Pretty sure my phone's proximity sensor doesn't work, so when I'm in a call my cheek turns on speaker all the time and it is super annoying. Is there anything I can do to make the screen turn off during a call until I get this fixed somehow?

DeMoN
Feb 21, 2003
_^DeMoN^_

Glass Eater posted:

Pretty sure my phone's proximity sensor doesn't work, so when I'm in a call my cheek turns on speaker all the time and it is super annoying. Is there anything I can do to make the screen turn off during a call until I get this fixed somehow?

No cydia tweak that I know of will help in that situation I am sorry to say.

DeMoN
Feb 21, 2003
_^DeMoN^_

Hamburlgar posted:

I managed to down grade from 5.1 down to 5.0.1. It was my first time downgrading and was simple enough. Reason for the upgrade in he first place was because spring flash caused he phone to go into a recovery loop that I could only fix by DFU restore/upgrading.

I had to "stitch" the correct SHSH blobs from my 5.0.1 to the new 5.1 (I think) and it downgraded to 5.0.1. Untethered ahoy!

There is absolutely NO WAY to downgrade unless you have an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 and you have SHSH saved ANNDDD AptTicket. If it is your first time downgrading, I am sure you don't have AptTicket saved so dont give hope to people because there is NO WAY to downgrade without AptTicket.

NOW TO THE OTHER GUY, the one with problems restoring to 5.1 from iTunes. There are two possibilities, 1) Your iTunes is not up to date and 2) Your HOSTS file has apple servers redirected to Cydia. If you have TinyUmbrella installed, I am betting #2 is the issue.

Just go to "c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" and open HOSTS with notepad. Look for gs.apple.com and remove all occurrences of it then restore with iTunes.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm going to assume this is jailbreak related, but it seems like the big buttons (like when getting a call to pick up or ignore, or the set wallpaper buttons) don't trigger or have the wrong I guess activation area. Anybody run into something like this?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm going to assume this is jailbreak related, but it seems like the big buttons (like when getting a call to pick up or ignore, or the set wallpaper buttons) don't trigger or have the wrong I guess activation area. Anybody run into something like this?

Yes. I did. And others did too. I am not 100% sure what fixed it, as this was a while ago for me. HOWEVER, I seem to hazily recall investigating Activator and not having any like, gestures active that involved the bottom of the screen. (Like swipe up from bottom, or something?)

I know I don't have that problem anymore, and I *am* still jailbroken. So whatever happened, I definitely fixed it. :)

Hope that helps?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

DeMoN posted:

There is absolutely NO WAY to downgrade unless you have an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4
The original complainer has a 4.

quote:

and you have SHSH saved ANNDDD AptTicket. If it is your first time downgrading, I am sure you don't have AptTicket saved
Newer versions of TinyUmbrella automatically save them with the SHSH.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 30, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

kmcormick9 posted:

This IS the jailbreaking thread, right? Where we discuss adding utility to the device we paid $300 for? Where the OP says theres no reason NOT to jailbreak? I really liked Plug and Play. And SBSettings. And Bite. Now I'll just settle for a working device.

I asked for advice last night when I was simply trying to do a legit update to 5.1 and couldn't even do that without itunes crashing.
Besides, I could never get a droid. I'm creative.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396&pagenumber=80&perpage=40#post401036687

That's where I figured out how to unjailbreak (or even restore my device). Basically, you need to update your host file and make sure you are in DFU mode. Prior to doing that, I was suffering as well because my phone would refuse to even load for me. If you don't have access to a secondary computer (either PC or Mac), it would be a good idea to attempt it on a friend's computer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Does anyone else here have PDAnet and have difficulty with their iPad or whatever "tethered" device being able to get email (for what it's worth it's my GMAIL account.)

Do I have some setting screwed up somewhere?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Feenix posted:

Does anyone else here have PDAnet and have difficulty with their iPad or whatever "tethered" device being able to get email (for what it's worth it's my GMAIL account.)

Do I have some setting screwed up somewhere?

Gmail has gone to https-only and PDAnet may do something wonky with https since they hold https hostage until you pay for the app. Are you running a trial of PDAnet? Maybe go into the settings?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Mark Larson posted:

Gmail has gone to https-only and PDAnet may do something wonky with https since they hold https hostage until you pay for the app. Are you running a trial of PDAnet? Maybe go into the settings?

No I paid for the app. I'll look around in settings. Thanks.

[edit] it was Level II (hiding). If I switch it to Level I, the mail app works fine. Thanks! :)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 30, 2012

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

This is getting stupid. Also, I am stupid.

I jailbroke an iPhone 4 on 5.01. Before running jailbreak, I used tinyumbrella to backup my shsh's. I wanted to unjailbreak, but then 5.1 was released. Each time I would run update, I would get an error 11. I fired up tinyumbrella and started its tss server, tried to update, and got it to boot into recovery, then failure error code 1600. Now I am stuck with the phone either in recovery which fails to restore in itunes with the 1600 error. I enter dfu mode, and I get the same.

I thought running your tinyumbrella server would let it get past the signing check. Maybe the issue is that itunes doesn't let you do a flat restore when a new software version is out?

So I am lost and with a phone perma-stuck in dfu/recovery. Any ideas? Ideally I would be fully back to stock when the process is done, screw future jailbreakability.

Edit: Jesus, I enabled request SHSH from Cydia (which was disabled?) in tinyumbrella and now I am back to a functional jailbroken 5.01 phone! Hooray!

So next steps: When I shut down tinyumbrella and try to upgrade, I get a "phone is not elligible for this update." That weird. Any pointers from here on out? The previous Backup, update, backup, restore is what got me into this mess.

Turnquiet fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 30, 2012

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Feenix posted:

Yes. I did. And others did too. I am not 100% sure what fixed it, as this was a while ago for me. HOWEVER, I seem to hazily recall investigating Activator and not having any like, gestures active that involved the bottom of the screen. (Like swipe up from bottom, or something?)

I know I don't have that problem anymore, and I *am* still jailbroken. So whatever happened, I definitely fixed it. :)

Hope that helps?

I removed all of those and I think it worked?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Turnquiet posted:

So next steps: When I shut down tinyumbrella and try to upgrade, I get a "phone is not elligible for this update." That weird. Any pointers from here on out? The previous Backup, update, backup, restore is what got me into this mess.
Make sure gs.apple.com isn't in your hosts file.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Does anyone know off a tweak that will stop iTunes from trying to sync the apps from my iPod to my computer every time I connect? I'm running out of HD space and I've got like 4GB of apps stored on my computer that I don't need.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

huhu posted:

Does anyone know off a tweak that will stop iTunes from trying to sync the apps from my iPod to my computer every time I connect? I'm running out of HD space and I've got like 4GB of apps stored on my computer that I don't need.

Edit -> Preferences -> Devices: Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

huhu posted:

You can delete the .ipa(?) or something files on your HDD as well, they don't affect which apps get shown in your iTunes and you can still see them there.

You'd have to google for the proper way to do that ie the file extension and the location, but I've seen it on this forum before.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Why am I getting promoted tweet ads in Cydia's timeline tab?

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I now have an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5 (BB 4.10.01), unlocked on Telus in Canada. I'm definitely having some issues. As far as I know, right now, I can't update to any version of iOS 5 and keep it unlocked. That's alright for now.

My major issues are 1) my data doesn't work. If I'm not using WiFi this phone is useless outside of sending standard text messages and 2) Safari won't open. When I press the icon, it opens for about half a second and immediately closes.

The person who bought this phone for me had it unlocked in the mall (eh?). The phone and texting works, essentially nothing else does when not on WiFi (and in the case of Safari, not at all).

Any suggestions? I've been Googling and taking in as much information as I can but some of it is beyond me and the rest I'm not sure I want to do/try and gently caress up the ability to use this phone right now.

Ninja Edit: Can I turn the phone off, remove the SIM card, turn the phone back on ans not have any issues? I bought an iPhone SIM card from Telus and have that Gevey thing the guy in the mall did.

Thanks.

Real Edit: Last thing. I used PwnageTool 5.0.1 to create a custom IPSW to preserve the BB, after this I entered DFU mode to update the firmware and when I tried to use the custom one I get the "device isn't eligible..." error. I also Googled that and found all the TinyUmbrella and HOSTS info and none of those allowed the device to not be denied the update. I'm either way wrong on what I'm doing to begin with or I'm really slow, because I feel I'm doing this properly.

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 1, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Your problem (presuming you didn't save 5.0.1 SHSH blobs) is that your window of opportunity is closed and Apple are no longer signing 4.x (meaning you can't restore) or 5.0.1 (meaning you can't upgrade), and 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak.

Your only two choices are to keep it on 4.x, or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

You might be able to fix your data by emailing this file to yourself and opening it on your phone.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 1, 2012

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010
I jailbroke my 4S on 5.0.1 when the original untether command line tool version of Absinthe came out. Just recently I have started getting a prompt to put in my voicemail PIN when unlocking my phone. It's not tragic and doesn't happen all the time, but it'd be nice to know of a fix.

Also is it worth re-jailbreaking it at this point? The original Absinthe has some bugs it seems (notably that skins don't seem to work properly, my Mail and Music buttons are unaffected by any Winterboard skin).

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

Your problem (presuming you didn't save 5.0.1 SHSH blobs) is that your window of opportunity is closed and Apple are no longer signing 4.x (meaning you can't restore) or 5.0.1 (meaning you can't upgrade), and 5.1 is a tethered jailbreak.

Your only two choices are to keep it on 4.x, or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

You might be able to fix your data by emailing this file to yourself and opening it on your phone.

Thank you very, very much for the information.

Based on this info, is it safe to assume I'm hosed for 5.1 FOREVER or will I be able to complete an untethered jailbreak/unlock as soon as the stuff is released to the public?

Edit: So I did what you said RE: 'create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu' -- still getting that "device isn't eligible..." error. What the cock?!

Xithyl fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 1, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've was just given an Iphone 3g since my drug dealer burner phone fell a few stories and shattered. I'm with T-mobile so I had to jailbreak it to even use this thing as a phone. When I got it the Iphone was running 3.1.3 but I noticed half the poo poo in the app store doesn't work unless you had 4.2.1. I did a factory reset since Itunes was kicking up errors and updated it to 4.2.1 using Itunes. However I'm fairly positive this also updated the baseband to 5.15.04 which apparently cannot be unlocked.

Did I just put myself between a rock and a hard place? I can't use the phone for anything but Wifi with 5.15.04 but if the baseband is upgraded to 6.15.00 i'm being led to believe the GPS is no longer functional along with a few other things. Is there an alternative to these choices I can't seem to find via googling?

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

YouTuber posted:

I can't use the phone for anything but Wifi with 5.15.04 but if the baseband is upgraded to 6.15.00 i'm being led to believe the GPS is no longer functional along with a few other things. Is there an alternative to these choices I can't seem to find via googling?

I believe 6.15.00 is the iPad baseband. I sold my 3G to a friend last year running 4.2.1, and I allowed it to be unlocked by using the iPad baseband. Aside from the thing running slow as gently caress, unrelated to the iPad baseband, it seems to work fine. If I had the phone in my possession right now, I'd try whited00r, though I don't know much about it, so I can't recommend it to you.

This is just anecdotal evidence I've provided to assure you that you are not royally screwed, but I don't necessarily recommend using the iPad baseband, as I have heard there can be complications. I don't know enough to guide you down the correct path with any degree of certainty.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 1, 2012

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Augh, looks like I'm thoroughly hosed. It updated the bootloader to 6.4 when Itunes updated the firmware and baseband. The only way I can get function out of this Iphone while using T-mobile is by updating to the 6.15 Ipad baseband and sacrificing the GPS on it and god knows what else.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
My iPhone 4S has been getting horrendous battery life in the last two days. In addition, I went over the 2GB limit pretty quick and the phone gets constantly hot. I'm thinking, obviously, these are all connected.

What's the best app/tweak to use to monitor data usage and perhaps stop it? I'm guessing something is downloading/receiving the same thing over and over as I don't see the free space being filled.

(Its Jailbroken, 5.0.1)
Apps:
• Zephyr
• Slider Enhancer
• Activator
• Lockscreen 5.1 Camera tweak

Also, what is the best (if there is one) cydia app that allows you to delete/remove various jailbreak tweaks?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheChipmunk posted:

Also, what is the best (if there is one) cydia app that allows you to delete/remove various jailbreak tweaks?
uh, Cydiia itself? Manage packages, select, remove.

hardstyle
Mar 12, 2004

"...Neither seen nor heard"

TheChipmunk posted:

My iPhone 4S has been getting horrendous battery life in the last two days. In addition, I went over the 2GB limit pretty quick and the phone gets constantly hot. I'm thinking, obviously, these are all connected.

What's the best app/tweak to use to monitor data usage and perhaps stop it? I'm guessing something is downloading/receiving the same thing over and over as I don't see the free space being filled.

(Its Jailbroken, 5.0.1)
Apps:
• Zephyr
• Slider Enhancer
• Activator
• Lockscreen 5.1 Camera tweak

This happened to me once, turned out to be an email account. Try deleting/re-adding them.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Doh, Cydia is the best way to do it.

Good idea on the email thing - this could be. I am trying to use Sparrow and I like it a lot but the whole push debacle is becoming a pain in the rear end. I would love it if it could fetch every 30 minutes/hour... I wonder if its a bug in the Sparrow Push tweak.

I'm thinking about switching to Gmail IMAP instead of Exchange. I'm not sure if I actually need "push". On a 30 minute fetch interval, would I notice a good increase in battery life over push?

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 2, 2012

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

TheChipmunk posted:

Doh, Cydia is the best way to do it.

Good idea on the email thing - this could be. I am trying to use Sparrow and I like it a lot but the whole push debacle is becoming a pain in the rear end. I would love it if it could fetch every 30 minutes/hour... I wonder if its a bug in the Sparrow Push tweak.

I'm thinking about switching to Gmail IMAP instead of Exchange. I'm not sure if I actually need "push". On a 30 minute fetch interval, would I notice a good increase in battery life over push?

I noticed really severe battery drain from the Sparrow Push Cydia tweak (going from 100 to 50% while I slept as opposed to 100 to 85%). Same goes for when I adjusted Exchange push to be every hour as opposed to 30 minutes, though gains were less significant.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why push would need a timer. It's push, not pull. Is that some kind of jailbreak tweak option for exchange/push? :confused:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't understand why you need Sparrow push anyway. Just use the regular mail app's push functionality for notifications and the actual Sparrow app for mail viewing/sending.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I don't understand why you need Sparrow push anyway. Just use the regular mail app's push functionality for notifications and the actual Sparrow app for mail viewing/sending.
I just wanted the Sparrow app to get badged when I got new email. Its clunky to have the default mail also getting badged. I guess you could hide the other mail app in a folder or something, but its still annoying.

randyest posted:

I don't understand why push would need a timer. It's push, not pull. Is that some kind of jailbreak tweak option for exchange/push? :confused:

I don't really get it either. There is an option nonetheless after you setup the exchange. I don't think it is an interval for push but rather it switches it to fetch/pull when you select a time.

Whoops, sorry for the double post.

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 2, 2012

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Double Post, sorry.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I do not have a time interval option on my exchange accounts. What iOS version?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Below the "Accounts" is a "Fetch New Data". When you click on it, it has a "Push" toggle and also an time interval option. I presume it affects all accounts but I'm not really sure...

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheChipmunk posted:

Below the "Accounts" is a "Fetch New Data". When you click on it, it has a "Push" toggle and also an time interval option. I presume it affects all accounts but I'm not really sure...
Yes and the text description right there says the fetch intervals only apply when push is off, or for applications that don't support push. If push is on, and youre using an exchange account, the fetch interval is meaningless. It does apply to any non-push capable accounts, which is why it's still an option when push is on. Click "advanced" to see if all your accounts are set to push or not.

randyest fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 2, 2012

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

...or create a custom 5.1 IPSW preserving baseband using redsn0w's Extras menu. This will work, but your phone will have to be connected to your PC so you can click "Just Boot" every time you power on or reboot your phone.

I did this. Everything seemed to work well. However my issue is now that I'm at the "setup" series of screens post-update, and I'm getting SIM errors. Again, this phone was unlocked on 4.3.5. At one point, somehow, I was able to get into the actual home screen and I can see my BB didn't change, so I definitely did this right.

Is there anyway to get past this seemingly impossible to pass setup? Again I was "past" it, able to enter the App Store and everything for a little, but I have no idea how this happened.

Sorry to keep asking *you* questions, so feel free to answer, anyone else. :)

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

By the setup screen, do you mean it's sitting at the SIM activation screen?

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is it hypothetically illegal to intentionally dial 112 only to hang up like it is with 911? Not that you could really pin it on the end-user, but selling a product that requires calling and disconnecting from emergency services sounds legally dangerous for the company, I'd assume.

--

From how I understand it "push" just means the the mail service actively sends your device the notice that a new message arrived along with the data. This necessitates your device being constantly on the lookout for these notices, and vigilance costs battery life (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the process and talking out my rear end).

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 2, 2012

• Locked thread