Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

JohnnyMondo posted:

Not sure what your gear is, or what you're technically doing, but I'm assuming it's a digital deck and you're recording within the program itself?

I never do this, every mix goes out the deck and into Pro Tools (or Audacity or whatever). Seems like a LOT less risk to keep everything separate.

Yeah, using an S2 and recording in Traktor. I guess something got wonked up during recording, but it was persisting through a program restart so I got confused. Oh well. I'll look into your advice re: external recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

epswing posted:

the S2 is really nice...feels like a real piece of hardware

Spoke too loving soon. I've had it out of the box for 5 days, and the CUE button on the B deck doesn't fire properly anymore. If you press it gently, it clicks audibly but doesn't fire until you give it a little more pressure. If you back off the same amount of pressure, it unfires, but it hasn't audibly unclicked yet.

What the gently caress.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

epswing posted:

Spoke too loving soon. I've had it out of the box for 5 days, and the CUE button on the B deck doesn't fire properly anymore. If you press it gently, it clicks audibly but doesn't fire until you give it a little more pressure. If you back off the same amount of pressure, it unfires, but it hasn't audibly unclicked yet.

What the gently caress.

ive heard they are all breaking...

get what ya pay for i suppose.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
EDIT: drat it i thought i was editing that^^ post for some stupid reason. sorry for double post like that.

88h88 posted:

When talking about renting a venue it was more a private party thing than an actual event where random dickheads turn up. My friends know I've been squirrelled away over winter putting this lot together and at some point I need to let them hear the end result for themselves. Anyone playing on it would be a close friend and I'm lucky to know a fair few DJs, I'm not about to host someone I don't know at least like you say, not without getting paid for it.

Maybe, instead of a private party(like at a house or venue?) you go around and talk to venue owners and say "how about i come out with a bangin rear end PA and ive got some DJ buddies and we"ll come out and spin for $100 and a $50 bar tab, we dont even need a sound guy or anything, and you can see how many people we can bring"

Go in there act all professional and make sure you bring people, maybe not even alot, but just bring people. And at the end of the night go talk to them and theyll probably pay you easily if alot of people came but if not that many came but YOU still think it was worth $150(if say like 35-45 people drinking) then be stern about collecting your pay if they try to stiff you, they really like trying but wont if you stand up.

Then bring more and more and more people and when theres a bunch of people they will pay hundreds to thousands of dollars and you and your buddies can all make money and reputations to carry to the next gig.

Starting off i would just split everything even with your boys, but say there are 4 djs and you, you split the money 4 ways for DJs, 1 way for you DJing, 1 way for speakers, and 1 way for booking/organizing event. So you would get 3/8 of the total money while everyone else would get 1/8, and you know change the shares if you are only doing sound and DJ but not organizing or something.

And thats hustling. Get em hooked then raise the price...

oredun fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 31, 2012

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

Quidnose posted:

Just mixed some house music across the internet for any friends who I could coerce into listening. Went for about an hour. Fun poo poo, the S2 is really intuitive and so easy to use, much easier than moving my mouse around in Traktor. :v:

Any other tips for someone starting out? I'm getting good at stringing songs together, have only just started playing around with cueing poo poo and tossing on filters whilst twisting knobs. :shobon:

Try different transitions, try mixing different BPMs, try playing without sync, try mixing two completely different choruses together at the same time WITH sync, mess around with backspin because it owns, get an airhorn.wav.

Never stop playing brah

@epswing the traktor warranty is really generous so you definitely wanna use it rather than suffer.

E: turning off sync has led to some real embarrassing moments but it also really draws you into the music because you absolutely have to concentrate

Longtiem fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 31, 2012

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

oredun posted:

EDIT: drat it i thought i was editing that^^ post for some stupid reason. sorry for double post like that.

Maybe, instead of a private party(like at a house or venue?) you go around and talk to venue owners and say "how about i come out with a bangin rear end PA and ive got some DJ buddies and we"ll come out and spin for $100 and a $50 bar tab, we dont even need a sound guy or anything, and you can see how many people we can bring"

Go in there act all professional and make sure you bring people, maybe not even alot, but just bring people. And at the end of the night go talk to them and theyll probably pay you easily if alot of people came but if not that many came but YOU still think it was worth $150(if say like 35-45 people drinking) then be stern about collecting your pay if they try to stiff you, they really like trying but wont if you stand up.

Then bring more and more and more people and when theres a bunch of people they will pay hundreds to thousands of dollars and you and your buddies can all make money and reputations to carry to the next gig.

Starting off i would just split everything even with your boys, but say there are 4 djs and you, you split the money 4 ways for DJs, 1 way for you DJing, 1 way for speakers, and 1 way for booking/organizing event. So you would get 3/8 of the total money while everyone else would get 1/8, and you know change the shares if you are only doing sound and DJ but not organizing or something.

And thats hustling. Get em hooked then raise the price...

Write this poo poo out and get people to sign, especially the club owner. There are horror stories of people trying to play house parties or frat parties in DC and really getting stiffed cause there was never like a formal agreement between artist and location.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Longtiem posted:

E: turning off sync has led to some real embarrassing moments but it also really draws you into the music because you absolutely have to concentrate

Let me tell you, turning on sync can lead to embarrassing moments too when one of your tracks is 140 and one is 70. Super slow or super fast jam. :v

I've done my last two mixes without sync and have just been riding my tempo sliders and it definitely makes me a better mixer. Thanks for the advice! I actually did a 2 hour house mix last night I'm pretty pleased with. I'm assuming it cool to share mixcloud stuff in this thread? I'd love feedback, if anyone likes house and has 2 hours to kill :v:

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
So last night I was at a party with some friends and there was a dj who my friend knew and I actually ended up getting on the tables for like 30 mins with the guy (I've never used tables before) and it was fun as hell. His decks looked like CDJ2000s except some of the buttons were different they werent CDJs, he had an external hd plugged into one and a flash drive in the other. Anybody know what these are? Feel like my description might be a little vague but I don't know. It was fun as hell and I'm hoping to go again tonight.

edit: Just want to say I did go back and played a 2 hour set with my music, that was insanely fun, the center console was a behringer digital mixer then I don't know what the decks were but whatever. I had a ton of fun mixing on that thing, I can't wait to dj parties once I get my mixtrack pro.

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 1, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress Club Controller DJs :argh:

After this weekend, I've given up using turntables and there's no way I'm going to gig out with my personal ones. Almost every single club/bar in my area has hosed up turntables from those assholes putting those stupid oversized videogame controllers on turntables and pounding away buttons on them. The RCA channel on the right turntable was completely dead, so I ended up DJing with one turntable w/ a broken pitch fader and the other internal mode (for the third time this year). Since they don't make Technics anymore, there's not a club out there that's going to replace them. So looks like the next few years will be the last for turntables inside nightclubs. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

So looks like the next few years will be the last for turntables inside nightclubs. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Looks like I picked a bad time to start building a setup based around Technics. Oh well, CDJs work just fine and I'll feel much cooler playing on the wheels of steel while everyone else I know has a piece of plastic that costs as much as two turntables.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
So after my first public Djing experience I have a few questions:

1. At college/house parties are there always drunk people who decide it's a good idea for them to gently caress with the knobs and sliders I'm clearly using?
2. Do I need earplugs if it's just a house party? (I know it's loud but I can't imagine it'd be as loud as a venue would be)
3. Can anybody recommend some specific headphones for me? I'd say my limit would be 100$ (unless that's the price of crap headphones or something then I'll go higher).

e;
4. Is it weird that I really don't want to use any effects at all when mixing?

Blowdryer fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 2, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Blowdryer posted:

1. At college/house parties are there always drunk people who decide it's a good idea for them to gently caress with the knobs and sliders I'm clearly using?

Yes

quote:

2. Do I need earplugs if it's just a house party? (I know it's loud but I can't imagine it'd be as loud as a venue would be)

Yes

quote:

3. Can anybody recommend some specific headphones for me? I'd say my limit would be 100$ (unless that's the price of crap headphones or something then I'll go higher).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-RP...3#ht_1953wt_907

quote:

subjective

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Blowdryer posted:

e;

Everyone will want to touch your poo poo. Others will stand near you literally the whole night just to seem cool. It gets really annoying fast.

I got my Sony v700s for like 60 bucks pre-owned off amazon, and I love them.

It's not weird at all. Probably the less the better. I was playing at this one frat party where any non-top40 was strongly discouraged, which I understand because that's the only sort of stuff people who go to those things listen to, so sometimes I like to just hit a flanger at the big drop to make it seem like I'm doing something. They go crazy for it too.

But seriously, I strayed from the top 40 poo poo just one time by playing like "Que Veux Tu" by Yelle or something like that and some girl came up to me after I was into the next song and said "My friend told me to tell you to stop playing the techno poo poo." :ughh:

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

gently caress Club Controller DJs :argh:

After this weekend, I've given up using turntables and there's no way I'm going to gig out with my personal ones. Almost every single club/bar in my area has hosed up turntables from those assholes putting those stupid oversized videogame controllers on turntables and pounding away buttons on them. The RCA channel on the right turntable was completely dead, so I ended up DJing with one turntable w/ a broken pitch fader and the other internal mode (for the third time this year). Since they don't make Technics anymore, there's not a club out there that's going to replace them. So looks like the next few years will be the last for turntables inside nightclubs. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Yeah, the sheer disregard folk have for expensive equipment never ceases to amaze me, even after all these years. Luckily I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising individual doesn't start making/sourcing parts for 1200s (if they aren't already), much like you can pretty much replace every single part on your 1968 MGB with aftermarket reproduction parts. Though of course who knows if people will care anymore in the near future. Lotta people seem more than happy just lugging in their Apple laptop and downloading everything off Beatport instead.

But anyway, yeah I've heard been hearing this way too often over the past few years, and from big name DJs too! Seems to me like DJs need to start forcing the issue a bit more if they still want to play vinyl/dubplates and pressuring promotors to bring their own poo poo rather than relying on whatever is in the club. Two fully working turntables, good carts and a mixer in a coffin case or I ain't playing. Just wack it on the table and plug it into the sound. No fuss. Hell if the promotors know what they're doing they should already be bringing in the soundsystems themselves rather than using whatever dodgy thing is probably in the club.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I once nearly punched a DJ playing before me because he set up his controller on the tonearm, bending the poo poo out of it, destroying the needle. The utter disrespect... ughh

:ughh:

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

The issue I have with controller DJs is that they have all these amazing features and functionality, yet don't do poo poo other than sync tracks and fade the intros/outros. I do more on my 1200s with some Dicers than those assholes do with 538 buttons/knobs/faders.

Goddamn kids get off my lawn i'm calling the police

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

Sjoewe posted:

I once nearly punched a DJ playing before me because he set up his controller on the tonearm, bending the poo poo out of it, destroying the needle. The utter disrespect... ughh

:psypop:

He placed a controller on top of a turntable?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vas0line posted:

The issue I have with controller DJs is that they have all these amazing features and functionality, yet don't do poo poo other than sync tracks and fade the intros/outros. I do more on my 1200s with some Dicers than those assholes do with 538 buttons/knobs/faders.

Goddamn kids get off my lawn i'm calling the police

You must see a lot of lovely controller DJs then :colbert:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

TWSS posted:

:psypop:

He placed a controller on top of a turntable?

Yep. He rotated one 90 degrees (battle-mode) and then just placed his Xone:1D upon the platter with the usb-connector pressing the arm firmly onto the deck plate.

:argh:

I've got nothing against MIDI-controllers, but many of the people I've encountered using them are total dicks when it comes to general DJ-etiquette. If you bring a controller, please plug it in beforehand, or bring some cd's/vinyl for a switch over, but please don't start connecting all your poo poo in the middle of my set in a 5 square feet booth. :suicide:

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Koesj posted:

You must see a lot of lovely controller DJs then :colbert:
The truth is that most DJs are lovely. :D I am biased against DJs because of that.

I was at this bar a few weeks ago and saw some dude in the corner running virtual DJ on his 21" iMac without a controller. It made me hurt. Hurt because I knew he was getting paid.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

You should have shot him, or at the least put him on blast on Twitter.

quote:

You must see a lot of lovely controller DJs then

I wasn't aware there was another kind.

quote:

I've got nothing against MIDI-controllers, but many of the people I've encountered using them are total dicks when it comes to general DJ-etiquette. If you bring a controller, please plug it in beforehand, or bring some cd's/vinyl for a switch over, but please don't start connecting all your poo poo in the middle of my set in a 5 square feet booth.

This is what happens when you have an instant entry into the DJ Scene, as opposed to the long arduous road it used to be. I can't tell you how many times I've seen controller DJs on before me that have everything in the RED.

RED = MORE FIST BUMPING BRO /KILLIN' IT :c00l:

quote:

The truth is that most DJs are lovely. I am biased against DJs because of that.

I was at this bar a few weeks ago and saw some dude in the corner running virtual DJ on his 21" iMac without a controller. It made me hurt. Hurt because I knew he was getting paid.

True, but all controller DJs are lovely.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

You should have shot him, or at the least put him on blast on Twitter.

I wasn't aware there was another kind.

This is what happens when you have an instant entry into the DJ Scene, as opposed to the long arduous road it used to be. I can't tell you how many times I've seen controller DJs on before me that have everything in the RED.

RED = MORE FIST BUMPING BRO /KILLIN' IT :c00l:

How in the hell do people get so bent up about this? There have always been and there will always be lovely DJs in clubs. End of story. I've seen people doing a terrible job DJing on turntables, CDJs, controllers, just their computer.. does it really matter what tool you're using for the job?

Song choice and reading your crowd are what makes you a DJ. Beatmatching by ear, physically touching vinyl, whatever..that doesn't mean poo poo if you pick lovely songs and/or ignore your crowd.

Yes, being able to buy a controller for a couple hundred bucks and download songs from the internets has made it possible for any Tom, Dick, and Harry to get into DJing...but without real skill they're not going to get anywhere so what's the big loving deal?

Does it get tiring being a hater all the time? WORK THOSE FROWN MUSCLES, BRO

The real people to blame here are whoever is letting these people play - if the club owner/manager/whoever is in charge isn't putting any work into picking decent DJs then everybody is going to get hosed in the ear.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

How old are you? Do you ever have fun when you go out, or are you always just making sure the person in the booth is playing vinyl?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Still, hatin' aside the man has a point. Every new DJ thinks it all comes down to just mixing two tracks together and repeating that trick the whole night while bromancing and getting all the girls. We all, sadly, known that there is much more to learn about DJ'ing than just mixing up tracks. The upside of vinyl or cd's is that is takes so much time to get the hang of it, you'll learn most of these things while practicing: beats, bars, laying out a set, arranging your crate etcetera. And more important, you almost always had a mentor, 'the guy that-thought-you-to...' New (controller) DJ's tend to skip this part, because 'hey you're mixing up tracks, and it's sounding all good and poo poo, so I must be a DJ', oblivious of all the other things that you'll learn while becoming a DJ. Like showing some respect to the other DJ's and other people's equipment.

And let me be straight about this, although I myself don't like controllers, mainly because I'm into DJ'ing because I like buying vinyl and DJ'ing is a poor excuse do justify this, I really don't mind the technological progress that comes with them. Hell, I'll even admit that they'll help all of us become better DJ's. And more so I know I'm generalizing the poo poo out of this argument, but in my experience most controller DJ's tend to be in it to become 'a DJ' while the people that took the classic route rather seem to be in it because their love of music spun out of control and ended with DJ'ing. It's a different mindset.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Rickets posted:

How in the hell do people get so bent up about this? There have always been and there will always be lovely DJs in clubs. End of story. I've seen people doing a terrible job DJing on turntables, CDJs, controllers, just their computer.. does it really matter what tool you're using for the job?

It's pretty easy to ignore my complaint and go off on irrelevant tangent I suppose. The old class of terrible DJs never destroyed the equipment. The old class of DJs never would purposely disconnect my external HDD while trying to plug in their video game controllers. These are all new things that are exclusively associated with controller DJs.

quote:

Song choice and reading your crowd are what makes you a DJ. Beatmatching by ear, physically touching vinyl, whatever..that doesn't mean poo poo if you pick lovely songs and/or ignore your crowd.

I've never heard this tired argument before.

quote:

Yes, being able to buy a controller for a couple hundred bucks and download songs from the internets has made it possible for any Tom, Dick, and Harry to get into DJing...but without real skill they're not going to get anywhere so what's the big loving deal?

You obviously aren't in any active club scene or would know that they DO get somewhere. Promoters want to keep their costs down to the bare minimum, lots of promoters are becoming Controller DJs themselves to completely cut people out. It doesn't matter about skill anymore, it matters how many people like your facebook page, and how many people follow you on twitter.

quote:

Does it get tiring being a hater all the time? WORK THOSE FROWN MUSCLES, BRO

You sound pretty mad about the truth. It always seems when someone makes good truthful points, they are immediately referred as a hater.

quote:

How old are you? Do you ever have fun when you go out, or are you always just making sure the person in the booth is playing vinyl?

You also sound pretty mad about the truth as well.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 2, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

JohnnyMondo posted:

or are you always just making sure the person in the booth is playing vinyl?

Personally if it's not playing off a reel-to-reel it's no deal! Proper classic New York style, just like in that New Order video. Though seriously I'd pay ridiculous money (well okay a tenner maybe) to see some guy rock up to the booth with a pair of old Ampexs and quarter inch tape under his arms and move to plug it in. And you thought the guy trying to plug in his Ableton system was annoying.

But seriously for a moment, me personally I don't particulary care what they're playing if off as long as they're good - however you'd describe that - I just find it a bit disconcerting that a lot of people who love playing vinyl and would prefer vinyl or acetates simply can't do so as cunts just ain't been looking after their equipment. Shoddy state of affairs all round. Man worldwide needs to come a bit more professional and ready nowadays.

Of course on saying all that, if someone put a button in front of my saying 'make everything worldwide vinyl only' I'd doubt I'd hesitate to press it. I am a bit of a dick though so that probably explains that. Actually I'd probably still press it if it read 'real/physical medium only'.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
its not that if you use a controller you are a lovely DJ, its that lovely DJs typically use controllers in this day and age.

For me to get 5 grand of equipment took many years, so i learned how to use everything very well, but when someone buys an S4 or something, they have no fuckin clue how to use it or any techniques a "good" DJ would use while DJing.

So, i think the barrier to entry is so low and talent has fallin with it, its not so much that EVERYONE that uses a controller sucks dick, its just that most people with controllers do in fact suck due to lack of overall experience, the equipment has nothing to do with quality its more just an indicator of experience.

Rickets
Jul 21, 2006

Them's my dancin' knees!

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's pretty easy to ignore my compliant and go off on irrelevant tangent I suppose. The old class of terrible DJs never destroyed the equipment. The old class of DJs never would purposely disconnect my external HDD while trying to plug in their video game controllers. These are all new things that are exclusively associated with controller DJs.

You are absolutely correct, nobody mishandled DJ equipment before controllers came around. FACT.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I've never heard this tired argument before.

Hello pot, it's kettle.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

You obviously aren't in any active club scene or would know that they DO get somewhere. Promoters want to keep their costs down to the bare minimum, lots of promoters are becoming Controller DJs themselves to completely cut people out. It doesn't matter about skill anymore, it matters how many people like your facebook page, and how many people follow you on twitter.

You sound pretty mad about the truth. It always seems when someone makes good truthful points, they are immediately referred as a hater.

You also sound pretty mad about the truth as well.

I think my little town of around a million has a decent club scene, though most of our clubs play nothing but lovely electro house/top40. And the DJs who play nothing but lovely electro house/top 40 are still playing the same old lovely electro house/top 40 to the same groups of 18-21 year old drunk kids and getting nowhere in their musical career. I don't believe getting paid to play in your own city really means you're getting somewhere, though you might luck out and get asked to open for somebody bigger at a show (if you're better then most of the sync-n-pray guys out there).

There's a big difference between getting some local play time and actually making it out onto the real music scene, playing in other cities, getting noticed nationally and internationally and having some name recognition. The poo poo sorts itself out pretty quickly.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

its not that if you use a controller you are a lovely DJ, its that lovely DJs typically use controllers in this day and age.

For me to get 5 grand of equipment took many years, so i learned how to use everything very well, but when someone buys an S4 or something, they have no fuckin clue how to use it or any techniques a "good" DJ would use while DJing.

So, i think the barrier to entry is so low and talent has fallin with it, its not so much that EVERYONE that uses a controller sucks dick, its just that most people with controllers do in fact suck due to lack of overall experience, the equipment has nothing to do with quality its more just an indicator of experience.

I frequently travel between SF and LA, and I can tell you almost every Controller DJ I've seen sucks. Those are major scenes too. The only one that I saw that was legitimately great was Ean Golden who actually uses the functions on his controller as opposed to having it be a glorified iTunes player.

If you have a controller, you have a shortcut to do lot's of interesting things. The problem is that nobody is doing interesting things with them. I have a turntable, it's very limited in its functionality but I can do lots of stuff with that. I'll leave it at that.

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I frequently travel between SF and LA, and I can tell you almost every Controller DJ I've seen sucks. Those are major scenes too. The only one that I saw that was legitimately great was Ean Golden who actually uses the functions on his controller as opposed to having it be a glorified iTunes player.

If you have a controller, you have a shortcut to do lot's of interesting things. The problem is that nobody is doing interesting things with them. I have a turntable, it's very limited in its functionality but I can do lots of stuff with that. I'll leave it at that.

Every time I hear this argument I just post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqX55INFCuc

Dave Clark (who was playing vinyl while you were wearing nappies) chairing a panel with Gregor Treshor, Paul Hamill (Psycatron), Terry Weerasinghe (head of marketing at NI), Rik Parkinson (Product Planner from Pioneer DJ) and Baptiste Grange (Serato's European Rep). In this hour long discussion they look at the positives and negatives, and all the arguments for and against the sync button compared to vinyl.

Please watch this before you decide to spew any more hate across the internet. Especially before you post stupid poo poo that makes you look dumb like: All controller DJ's are lovely.

(A person that learned to spin on vinyl, then cds, and now with controllers)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I see where you're coming from with me starting out in 2010 with a controller, primarily as a hobby and on a low budget, and later doing a course at the uni culture workshop where the old school dude introduced us to vinyl and later CDJs. That was an eyeopener.

I don't see how being wedded to a certain piece of hardware precludes people from learning tried and true skills though. Just tape off the sync buttons, switch off the phase meter and you're doing the same things as someone with a quantized CDJ2000 except for having an extra decimal of tempo control. Better yet, switch off the stripe and tempo meter, limit the amount of tracks you have access to around 50 and just mess with the lovely platters and faders on your cheapass controller. Hardcore.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 3, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

blacksun posted:

Every time I hear this argument I just post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqX55INFCuc

Dave Clark (who was playing vinyl while you were wearing nappies) chairing a panel with Gregor Treshor, Paul Hamill (Psycatron), Terry Weerasinghe (head of marketing at NI), Rik Parkinson (Product Planner from Pioneer DJ) and Baptiste Grange (Serato's European Rep). In this hour long discussion they look at the positives and negatives, and all the arguments for and against the sync button compared to vinyl.

Please watch this before you decide to spew any more hate across the internet. Especially before you post stupid poo poo that makes you look dumb like: All controller DJ's are lovely.

(A person that learned to spin on vinyl, then cds, and now with controllers)

This is easily the worst post in this entire thread and doesn't have to do with anything being discussed. Thank you for hitting that new low.

quote:

I don't see how being wedded to a certain piece of hardware precludes people from learning tried and true skills though. Just tape off the sync buttons, switch off the phase meter and you're doing the same things as someone with a quantized CDJ2000 except for having an extra decimal of tempo control. Better yet, switch off the stripe and tempo meter, limit the amount of tracks you have access to around 50 and just mess with the lovely platters and faders on your cheapass controller. Hardcore.

I haven't posted a single post about the sync function. Why do all the controller DJs ITT think I give a poo poo about the sync button. Is there some kind of instant kick back in the brains of controller DJs that believe that when they read anything remotely close to criticizing controller DJs they stop reading the post and assume it's about the sync function, then type out posts defending the sync function with a :smug: heh vinyl elitist :smug: when that's not even the topic at hand?

Muck and Mire posted:

I love, love, love dudes complaining about controllers. It's like "hello, I know nothing of the history of the DJ and I'm gonna spout some bullshit right... here. Controllers are wack." Remember, please, that the original DJs got poo poo for playing records (which got poo poo themselves for replacing the need for live, in-studio musicians), and then CD dudes got poo poo for playing CDs, and then serato dudes got poo poo for using serato, and then finally controller dudes got poo poo for using controllers. I suppose you can contort yourself to pick a point at which the Realness stops and the fake dudes flood in but you shouldn't because you would be objectively wrong and you'd make yourself look like a drat fool.

If a dude with a $200 controller and an mp3 library is taking gigs from you, whose fault is that? It's your fault, or your scene's fault. I get the "barrier of entry" argument, and I'd probably agree that dudes were "realer" when you had to spend $15 each time you wanted a single song to play out, but that time is as dead as when you needed to have actual dudes in your radio station playing guitar because recorded music didn't exist so you might as well get the gently caress over it. It's 2012, anyone can make and DJ music, so complaining about guys who are playing Gotye electro bootlegs off 2-week-old controllers is a lot of wasted time you could be using to practice.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, what the point of this is, or who you're even addressing.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 3, 2012

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I love, love, love dudes complaining about controllers. It's like "hello, I know nothing of the history of the DJ and I'm gonna spout some bullshit right... here. Controllers are wack." Remember, please, that the original DJs got poo poo for playing records (which got poo poo themselves for replacing the need for live, in-studio musicians), and then CD dudes got poo poo for playing CDs, and then serato dudes got poo poo for using serato, and then finally controller dudes got poo poo for using controllers. I suppose you can contort yourself to pick a point at which the Realness stops and the fake dudes flood in but you shouldn't because you would be objectively wrong and you'd make yourself look like a drat fool.

If a dude with a $200 controller and an mp3 library is taking gigs from you, whose fault is that? It's your fault, or your scene's fault. I get the "barrier of entry" argument, and I'd probably agree that dudes were "realer" when you had to spend $15 each time you wanted a single song to play out, but that time is as dead as when you needed to have actual dudes in your radio station playing guitar because recorded music didn't exist so you might as well get the gently caress over it. It's 2012, anyone can make and DJ music, so complaining about guys who are playing Gotye electro bootlegs off 2-week-old controllers is a lot of wasted time you could be using to practice.

Personally, I love vinyl emulation with Serato, I play hiphop and party classics and other stuff that is the pits to play with a controller... but gently caress, turntables are such a pain sometimes. They are often hosed up somehow at the club, they weigh a million pounds each if you have to bring them, and they're really hard to troubleshoot if something actually fucks up when you're at the club. I love turntables and will be using serato with vinyl as long as I possibly can but I've definitely played gigs where I wished I just had a controller and a computer with me.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

I'm addressing the guy ITT who is pining for "the old class of DJs." Which parties are you going to in SF, btw? I see plenty of controllers here, I know plenty of people who use them, and I've never noticed a difference between the two groups.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm addressing the guy ITT who is pining for "the old class of DJs." Which parties are you going to in SF, btw? I see plenty of controllers here, I know plenty of people who use them, and I've never noticed a difference between the two groups.

You must be going to a lot of blow up parties.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

You must be going to a lot of blow up parties.

I'm older than 17 so yes you'd be right

oops, misread, thought you said I was going to blow up. name names bro, who was the last wack controller DJ you saw here in SF?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It ain't what you work with, it's how you work it.

Edit: "Work" is the important word here. There are and will always be ways for folks to coast through, but if you work at your craft with commitment and passion, always exploring and expanding your skills and personal taste, then your internal satisfaction is always guaranteed even if commercial success isn't (forget about it, Jake, it's the music industry).

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 3, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm older than 17 so yes you'd be right

oops, misread, thought you said I was going to blow up. name names bro, who was the last wack controller DJ you saw here in SF?

all of them

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I haven't posted a single post about the sync function. Why do all the controller DJs ITT think I give a poo poo about the sync button. Is there some kind of instant kick back in the brains of controller DJs that believe that when they read anything remotely close to criticizing controller DJs they stop reading the post and assume it's about the sync function, then type out posts defending the sync function with a :smug: heh vinyl elitist :smug: when that's not even the topic at hand?

I wasn't really disagreeing with your sentiment although I wouldn't know if there are any non-lovely controllerists out there. The only ones I see and recognize are terrible and the best stuff I've seen were producers turned DJs who were having a good time, maybe one of those was using a controller though, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Koesj posted:

I wasn't really disagreeing with your sentiment although I wouldn't know if there are any non-lovely controllerists out there. The only ones I see and recognize are terrible and the best stuff I've seen were producers turned DJs who were having a good time, maybe one of those was using a controller though, who knows.

Most producers that use controllers are just using that as the easiest way to play their own stuff and have already tailored it for traktor to be awesome. Don't really consider them the same as a open format DJ.