Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Arrowsmith posted:

From how I understand it "push" just means the the mail service actively sends your device the notice that a new message arrived along with the data. This necessitates your device being constantly on the lookout for these notices, and vigilance costs battery life (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the process and talking out my rear end).
If that were true then you phone constantly being "on the lookout" for new text messages would kill the battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

If that were true then you phone constantly being "on the lookout" for new text messages would kill the battery.

:doh: That makes sense. How do they work around it so that you get texts and pushes immediately without constant vigilance eating processing cycles?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arrowsmith posted:

From how I understand it "push" just means the the mail service actively sends your device the notice that a new message arrived along with the data. This necessitates your device being constantly on the lookout for these notices, and vigilance costs battery life (unless I'm totally misunderstanding the process and talking out my rear end).
Unless your phone is otherwise basically incommunicado (no voice, data, or sms enabled) it's already listening to a central server for messages (such as incoming phone calls or text messages.) Adding (push) email uses the same listening connection that's already open and uses no more battery.

e:f;b

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Last I checked SMS piggybacks on on what are basically ping signals between the tower and your phone. You're are receiving and sending those messages constantly regardless of whether there is an actual SMS so there is virtually no overhead.

Push requires a constant TCP connection to a server (a different server for each application) over a higher-bandwidth connection (WIFI or 3G or EDGE or whatever) so I imagine that it requires a bit more power to maintain.

edit; Listen to this smart guy instead of dumb me VVV

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 3, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Oneiros posted:

Last I checked SMS piggybacks on on what are basically ping signals between the tower and your phone. You're are receiving and sending those messages constantly regardless of whether there is an actual SMS so there is virtually no overhead.

Push requires a constant TCP connection to a server (a different server for each application) over a higher-bandwidth connection (WIFI or 3G or EDGE or whatever) so I imagine that it requires a bit more power to maintain.
Apple's push doesn't use TCP (or UDP) rather XMPP which is very similar to SMS. Push may take slightly more power than manual fetch (assuming you fetch rarely) but I've seen tests indicating it's less power than even hourly scheduled fetch (the least frequent fetch option).

edit: XMPP is also used for iMessage and FaceTime, so unless you have those turned off that channel is open anyway.

randyest fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 3, 2012

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I assumed Push would eat more battery since you are getting stuff as it comes in. If auto-Fetch drains more and you don't get emails et al as soon, what's the advantage?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Push will kill your battery if you get a shitload of notifications. I know I woke up with my phone almost dead when my twitter blew up and I had a ton of notifications one day.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Arrowsmith posted:

I assumed Push would eat more battery since you are getting stuff as it comes in. If auto-Fetch drains more and you don't get emails et al as soon, what's the advantage?
There is no advantage. It's antiquated technology.

The only scenario where fetch is superior to push is if you work somewhere where you're literally getting multiple emails a minute or you've got thousands of twitter mentions or similar. And even then it's more an issue with the constant vibe/ring/wake from the notifications and not from the data pull down.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Arrowsmith posted:

There are still a few mail systems that don't support push, so it's an option. And I guess some people might just not want their email pushed.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I want to update to 5.1, which means dumping my jailbreak. Can I go ahead and just update via iTunes, or should I restore and then upgrade?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Just got an iPad 2, two questions:

is RetinaPad a paid app? Cydia doesn't list a price or how to pay anywhere I can see, but if I try to download it I get an error about how it is dependent on something I'm missing which may require payment.

is there any way to make XBMC not "add stuff to library" when I browse a folder over SMB? Some of my folders have thousands of things in them and it freezes the app for 15-30 minutes.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

frumpsnake posted:

By the setup screen, do you mean it's sitting at the SIM activation screen?

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

The initial setup where I choose language, country, etc. It can't activate my SIM, I get that error and I'm pretty much stuck at the screen and unable to go forward. As I mentioned I did move forward somehow, but that's gone now.

The 112/Airplane issue is, without being able to get to the home screen, I can't access the settings to turn Airplane mode on and off.

Again when I was at the home screen briefly, I checked my BB and I'm still on the same one.

Ideas?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

frumpsnake posted:

I've never used a GeveySIM but as I understand it, once you're in the phone you have to wait until you see 1 bar of service, dial 112 Emergency, hang up after 2 seconds, and then toggle Airplane mode on and off, possibly twice.

I asked this at the end of the last page, so sorry for repeating but I'm curious: Is it hypothetically illegal to intentionally dial 112 only to hang up like it is with 911? Not that you could really pin it on the end-user, but selling a product that requires calling and disconnecting from emergency services sounds legally dangerous for the company, I'd assume.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Arrowsmith posted:

I asked this at the end of the last page, so sorry for repeating but I'm curious: Is it hypothetically illegal to intentionally dial 112 only to hang up like it is with 911? Not that you could really pin it on the end-user, but selling a product that requires calling and disconnecting from emergency services sounds legally dangerous for the company, I'd assume.

According to MuscleNerd featured in this article, it seems to be at the very least illegal for the user.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yes, I agree it's definitely a grey area. Calling 112 authorises you on any cell company tower, which is how the unlock works, meaning that strictly speaking you have initiated a call. In reality though the call hasn't gone through to the other end yet, and GeveySIMs seem to have been on sale for a year without incident.

Xithyl posted:

The initial setup where I choose language, country, etc. It can't activate my SIM, I get that error and I'm pretty much stuck at the screen and unable to go forward. As I mentioned I did move forward somehow, but that's gone now.

Use redsn0w to jailbreak it (just the "Jailbreak" button this time, not the custom IPSW) and make sure Deactivate is unchecked. (or Activate is checked, I forget which way around it is).

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 3, 2012

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Anytime I try to upgrade or change any of my Cydia apps, when it goes to the Prepare Archives screen, I get a red message saying that it can't located certain packages.

Doesn't matter what app I try to upgrade, remove, or even install a new one, I get that same message.

The package it can't locate is different with every app I try it with.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Try force-quitting Cydia by double-pressing the home button to bring up open apps, pushing on the icon until they start doing their little wiggly dance, and then hitting the X in the corner. I've run into the same issue countless times before and this has always worked.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

suboptimal posted:

Try force-quitting Cydia by double-pressing the home button to bring up open apps, pushing on the icon until they start doing their little wiggly dance, and then hitting the X in the corner. I've run into the same issue countless times before and this has always worked.

That seems to have worked. Appreciate it.

Find it odd that a respring and even full reboot didn't fix it, but quitting the app did.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a jailbreak tweak that will keep reminders in Notification Center unless I actually go check them as completed? Missing "reminders" is annoying because they disappear after the day of the event.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

randyest posted:

Apple's push doesn't use TCP (or UDP) rather XMPP which is very similar to SMS. Push may take slightly more power than manual fetch (assuming you fetch rarely) but I've seen tests indicating it's less power than even hourly scheduled fetch (the least frequent fetch option).

edit: XMPP is also used for iMessage and FaceTime, so unless you have those turned off that channel is open anyway.
This is interesting. So basically any guide that suggests putting the mail account in Fetch instead of Push is wrong? (Unless you get a crap-load of mail and the vibrate/screen turning on is an issue)

Also, the Sparrow Push tweak seemed to drain my battery in ridiculous fashion. Just a heads up.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

TheChipmunk posted:

This is interesting. So basically any guide that suggests putting the mail account in Fetch instead of Push is wrong? (Unless you get a crap-load of mail and the vibrate/screen turning on is an issue)
That's what I think, and it matches my experience, but Apple doesn't reveal 100% of the details so I can't be 100% sure. If you really only fetch a few times a day that could be a bit better on the battery, but I don't see how it could be much different, except maybe the extra screen-on time (which I guess could be significant if you get a lot of email.) Seems to me fetch is there for accounts that don't support push, or for people who don't want the popups/vibrations all the time and would rather manually fetch.

TheChipmunk posted:

Also, the Sparrow Push tweak seemed to drain my battery in ridiculous fashion. Just a heads up.
Probably because it can't use Apple's XMPP service (unless you give Sparrow your email login/PW, which is why they haven't enabled it) so it's gotta be some hack that is using it's own service, using extra battery to keep it alive.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
Interesting indeed.

My 4s battery is still terrible unfortunately. I think some process is running rogue. Usage stats claim I've used my phone 4 hours out of a 9 some hour standby time. There's no way I've used my phone 4 hours today.

Is there any way to check processes? A sort of activity monitor?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Install sbsettings and make your RAM capacity viewable in your top bar (where signal/wifi is).

If I'm not mistaken, the 4s should have around 540mb of ram with nothing running in the background (350mb for iPhone 4).

That way you'll know if there is a rogue programme eating up your CPU and killing your battery.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

TheChipmunk posted:

Interesting indeed.

My 4s battery is still terrible unfortunately. I think some process is running rogue. Usage stats claim I've used my phone 4 hours out of a 9 some hour standby time. There's no way I've used my phone 4 hours today.

Is there any way to check processes? A sort of activity monitor?

Search for top in Cydia.

If you've got a rogue process that's acting like a blood sucking vampire, the CPU usage for that app (third column) will be going hog wild.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Search for top in Cydia.

I've searched for top, and I'm not finding anything; Googling 'top cydia app' obviously doesn't work. Is there a link you could share?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

in_cahoots posted:

I've searched for top, and I'm not finding anything; Googling 'top cydia app' obviously doesn't work. Is there a link you could share?

You may have to enable developer or hacker mode to see it.

After that, it'll appear in Administration section.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Couldn't turn down a free upgrade through work from my iphone 4 to a 4s. The whole time I was praying it was a few weeks old and shipped with 5.01. No luck though and lost my jail break.

I feel so controlled by the man and locked down now.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper
My new car has hands-free calling which is very nice, but it won't activate Siri. I have to fumble around to find my phone for that. I was looking for a workaround when I found AppDialer in cydia, which said you could launch apps and activator actions by dialing custom numbers. I thought maybe I could set up a Siri contact in my car at 555-555-5555 and get it to work.

But when I tried it out it looks like it only works through their own custom dialer UI, not the regular or Bluetooth dialing, so it's not going to help. I know it's a long-shot, but does anyone know of a tweak that might do this sort of thing? Or any other ideas on how I might get Siri to work without having to dig out my phone in the car?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

decypher posted:

You may have to enable developer or hacker mode to see it.

After that, it'll appear in Administration section.
Do you also have to install an SSH tweak or is that enabled by default?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

TheChipmunk posted:

Do you also have to install an SSH tweak or is that enabled by default?

Nope. Once you install top you can run it from the command line after you SSH into your phone.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
top is pretty amazing. Great stuff!

Can you mount the iPhone as a disk drive using SSH? So as to run something like GrandPerspective on it? My "Other" always gets whacked out with voice memos it seems...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think I'm gonna remove the jailbreak off my iPhone 4. There's been a severe performance hit ever since I activated the jailbreak so I wanna see if it goes away if I go back to normal.

Is there a specific way I should be removing the jailbreak (e.g. setting up as a new phone) or would restoring from the most recent iTunes sync/backup be enough? Would updating to 5.1 from 5.0.1 do the same?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

With bitesms, I hear my text alert go off twice (like literally not even a second apart, so it's different from when the message beeps again in a few minutes to make sure you check it) Has anyone had this problem? I have a feeling I must have glazed over a setting somewhere.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

eggrolled posted:

With bitesms, I hear my text alert go off twice (like literally not even a second apart, so it's different from when the message beeps again in a few minutes to make sure you check it) Has anyone had this problem? I have a feeling I must have glazed over a setting somewhere.
My factory 4s does this from time to time. A reboot usually fixes it. Just saying it's possible it's not related to bitesms.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Well I had my hopes up for a second, then realized that Google news picked up a spampost on NJ.com claiming a new 4s/5.1 jailbreak. This "story" blurb attributed to the Star-Ledger/NJ.com:

... leads to a spammy website that wants $28 to jailbreak. Somehow I doubt it's an actual 4s/5.1 jailbreak.

http://photos.nj.com/photogallery/2012/04/ultimate_iphonebreak_solution_1.html edit: I reported the post and they seem to have taken it dowm. It linked to this site http://www.iphonejailbreakunlock.org/index2.php?c=Red

The NJ.com poster seems to post nothing but iphone jailbreak spam.

http://connect.nj.com/user/dr_smith_1/index.html

Making money selling redsn0w or whatever to ignorant people is pretty lovely.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
In other, more positive news: The (free) Linguica cydia app uses AssistantExtensions to allow Siri to do language translations (though doesn't speak the result like the google translate app, which is disappointing.) And if you're using Hands-free Siri (which is awesome) "DismissSiri" (free) enables making Siri go away by voice only. Best of all, the $2 AssistantLove cydia app let's you speak an address to Siri and she'll it in Navigon, Waze, TomTom, etc. That's even better than "Navigate from Maps." There's also apparently an app to control Plex from Siri, but I haven't tried it since I don't use Plex.

There's also a new Siri clone calles Sara that works on non-4s devices, and doesn't require a SPIRE server or 4s ID code. Still uses someone else's 3rd party server, so I wouldn't use it for any confidential stuff.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Sucks how they can't release an all-in-one Siri package that has all these little tweaks included.

Dromio
Oct 16, 2002
Sleeper

randyest posted:

In other, more positive news: The (free) Linguica cydia app uses AssistantExtensions to allow Siri to do language translations (though doesn't speak the result like the google translate app, which is disappointing.) And if you're using Hands-free Siri (which is awesome) "DismissSiri" (free) enables making Siri go away by voice only. Best of all, the $2 AssistantLove cydia app let's you speak an address to Siri and she'll it in Navigon, Waze, TomTom, etc. That's even better than "Navigate from Maps." There's also apparently an app to control Plex from Siri, but I haven't tried it since I don't use Plex.

There's also a new Siri clone calles Sara that works on non-4s devices, and doesn't require a SPIRE server or 4s ID code. Still uses someone else's 3rd party server, so I wouldn't use it for any confidential stuff.

You missed my favorite part of AssistantLove -- Spotify integration! "Spotify, play me some Dolly Parton" and it works!

I bought hands-free Assistant last week and it claims I have an invalid license. I've emailed the developer and no response so far. That sucks.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Sucks how they can't release an all-in-one Siri package that has all these little tweaks included.
They're made by different people. Assistant Extensions is the framework. Other are the addons that take advantage of it. It's not too hard to queue up a few apps in Cydia and install all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

is AE still doing the annoying thing about dropping an ad on the Siri window? I wouldn't mind trying some of those tweaks but I couldn't get rid of the stupid ad until I got rid of AE

• Locked thread