Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slow is Fast posted:

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT FORD POWERSTROKES, YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT THIS GUYS SERIES OF YOUTUBE VIDEOS ON THE POWERSTROKE MOTORS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH2NmxXEUJQ

This guy is super annoying, good lord! Those old 6.9 IDI's were pretty drat good motors, slow as turds, but they are durable.

Just tuned up the front end on the F350. Did all new parts, except the steering gear box. It really tightened up the whole front end, seems to track better down the road. I did poly bushings this time so it should out last the rest of my tucks life.

But now the starter died... it seems like it never ends some days with 4x4's. At least I can take off the off road tires soon and put the heavy duty load range F's back on for the summer. It looks like I am going to have a busy summer of running the boat back and forth to the lake and doing landscaping projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
I guess another option going with a Ford diesel 4x4 for a bunch of guys and gear is to get a E250/350 series van [I've seen guys turn these into bitchin' off road campers] or even a Excursion diesel [f250 chassis].

I know Earth roamer makes them but I'm not sure if they do the vans anymore.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Geared Hub posted:

I guess another option going with a Ford diesel 4x4 for a bunch of guys and gear is to get a E250/350 series van [I've seen guys turn these into bitchin' off road campers] or even a Excursion diesel [f250 chassis].

I know Earth roamer makes them but I'm not sure if they do the vans anymore.

Sportsmobile is the place for 4x4 van campers. It is pretty expensive though.

http://sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mWP_DPQ-Dw

I'll be watching and waiting patiently for this thing to do a backflip.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I thought winter was over, guess not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ID9i1_0CGg

Scottish Highlands, Thursday Morning. Admittedly it had mostly melted by midday.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

stump posted:

I thought winter was over, guess not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ID9i1_0CGg

Scottish Highlands, Thursday Morning. Admittedly it had mostly melted by midday.

How did you get a 4x4 vehicle into Skyrim?

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

Went up to All Wheels offroad park in Auburn, Maine today with a bunch of Land Rover guys and had some fun.

I didn't take a count but there were at least 15 Land Rovers in addition to my Tacoma and my buddy's Tacoma.

The white Rover was a diesel and seemed to have trouble all day. I don't know if it was too light or what but other trucks similar to it were doing much better.

This Rover belongs to a friend of mine and is a Series body with Range Rover drivetrain and suspension. He got stuck on a rock.

This is my Tacoma at the "All Wheels Clubhouse," a bullet-riddled school bus in the middle of the woods. To my surprise, the Tacoma kept up with the modified Rovers for most of the day even though it's stock except for all-terrain tires.

If anyone is thinking of wheeling in Maine this place is a great location. It sits on something like 100 acres and the owner only asks for a $10 donation to keep it public. I'm looking at lifting my truck and getting some taller tires now so I can keep up with these other guys. Some of the terrain here is just brutal.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ug, I need to visit all wheels, probably wont happen now that my jeep is for sale.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

Ug, I need to visit all wheels, probably wont happen now that my jeep is for sale.

Before you sell it, let's take your jeep and my GL up there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Let me know when. It's a hell of a drive but this sounds like fun and I've never been to allwheels.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I could either swing bringing my sisters jeep or my dads CJ5 maybe? Or just ride shotty with someone.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

I can also post when the Land Rover guys are going again if people are interested. Camping is also welcome on the property. I think to really see everything you would need two days anyway.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
What are the opinions on Xterras on trails? I just got a Xterra Pro-4x and while there aren't any trails around here (there are some bottoms but nothing to climb really), I plan on taking it camping around the Smokey Mountains.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I sold my YJ Wrangler a while ago, and I'm not looking to get back into the game any time soon, but I like to browse. What are the hidden gems of 4x4 -- the dirt cheap trucks that no one thinks of and don't have the Jeep cult build up around them?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Safety Dance posted:

I sold my YJ Wrangler a while ago, and I'm not looking to get back into the game any time soon, but I like to browse. What are the hidden gems of 4x4 -- the dirt cheap trucks that no one thinks of and don't have the Jeep cult build up around them?

Fords, both big and small. My buddy bought his Bronco for $400, put another $1000 into it, and now it's swamp ready.

Rangers may have a short wheelbase but they're light and there's a lot of room up front for a big V-8. There's also a lot of real easy axle swaps and rear ends available.
You could build a real gnarly Ranger without breaking the bank. Explorer 5.0 (great heads) or if you're real nasty, a 351. There should be a few options for tubular long travel control arms for the front and leaf springs for the rear. You can also have long travel rear radius arms made but that gets pricey fast and requires fabrication.

If I had the motivation and didn't have the emissions laws I'd drop an explorer 5.0 motor in mine, take the rear axle (and 9.75" diff) from a lincoln navigator and go tear poo poo up.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Safety Dance posted:

404 platform Unimogs. Can be had for under $6000, backyard mechanic friendly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'll sell you a pretty unique CJ6 :D

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
All Wheels in Lewiston is 4.4 miles from my place :3:

I saw a couple of those Rovers on Main st. on Sunday but only one of them had mud on it.

I gotta start dumping more money into my XJ..... clunking coming from the front driver side wheel on tight left turns. Not to mention the vibrations and the fact I'm running 3 MT tires and 1 AT tire... ugghhhh

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

Ah, Lewiston, I always get confused when I'm up that way (like what am I doing here?!). If you saw the guys at the end of the day they may have not had mud because the crazier guys had to be towed home due to various fires and exploding diffs. I had to leave early so I didn't get any photos of that.

I'm looking into getting the Old Man Emu lift kit for my truck as it seems like the best value for money. I've got a 1999 Tacoma and the options seem to be either spacers, shocks and add-a-leafs for cheap (which doesn't seem to offer much), OME for a bit more, or crazy expensive kits that I just can't justify. The reviews seem generally positive, but does anyone here have any first hand experience with OME? Or maybe suggestions that I haven't come across yet?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

skinner posted:

does anyone here have any first hand experience with OME?

I've got OME coils and nitrocharger shocks on the 90. They have been on a few years now and I've been very pleased by them. They ride well unloaded and are very good with a bit of weight in. I tend to prefer softer springs, and initially when I put them in I felt they were a little hard. However, I was running HDs with a fairly light rear at the time. They do seem to have worn in a little although it may be my imagination.

I'd certainly reccomend them as well made items.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

skinner posted:

Ah, Lewiston, I always get confused when I'm up that way (like what am I doing here?!). If you saw the guys at the end of the day they may have not had mud because the crazier guys had to be towed home due to various fires and exploding diffs. I had to leave early so I didn't get any photos of that.

I'm looking into getting the Old Man Emu lift kit for my truck as it seems like the best value for money. I've got a 1999 Tacoma and the options seem to be either spacers, shocks and add-a-leafs for cheap (which doesn't seem to offer much), OME for a bit more, or crazy expensive kits that I just can't justify. The reviews seem generally positive, but does anyone here have any first hand experience with OME? Or maybe suggestions that I haven't come across yet?

I'm running the OME kit with 882s up front on my '04 DCab, definitely happy with them. My only complaint is the leafs don't handle much of a load so I'll be installing some add a leafs this summer. For the money I think it's a great kit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I was running ome gear on the old solid axle hilux, thats the nitrocharger shocks, Dakar leafs and greasable shackles, and on that vehicle it was awesome- I had HD springs all round because of the loads it carried in the rear, plus the extra weight of the TD motor + winch + 2nd battery up front and they handled and flexed up great. Killed a pair of shocks up in the outback with hundreds of kms of corrugations, but they were 50k kms old at that point.

I also fitted ome gear to the 100 series, which has the nitrocharger sport shocks, HD torsion bars and 200kg constant load rear coils, and when it's loaded up with a few hunded kg of gear in the back + roof top tent its really comfy on road, but empty it's a bit stiff. Upside to this is my 3 tonne 4wd handles waaay better than it has any right too. They work great offroad too, tho I'm probably going to fit bilstien shocks just for the extra length to get a bit more ride height out of the front end and some more flex out of the 5 link rear.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have pestered the crap out of Motronic, I owe him about 3 cases of scotch. So he can't respond to the following inquiry.

Any of you guys around here fool around with Range Rovers? I was looking between a classic and a P38... Just wanted to know what you all thought of it.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

Thanks for the info on OME, it looks like that's what I'll be getting. One more question: Did any of you bother with the transfer case drop? I've gotten mixed answers on whether it's actually necessary or not.

As for Range Rovers, I'm not that familiar with them but from what I saw on Sunday they are capable off road. At least the classics are, don't know about the P38. Everyone tears out the air ride suspension and puts in coils though. Classics can be had for cheap, too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

jonathan posted:

404 platform Unimogs. Can be had for under $6000, backyard mechanic friendly.

Are M35s any good, or are they usually poo poo?

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

They are ok for a ranch truck. If you have the room/space and the heavy truck tool sizes, they aren't bad to work on, and parts are cheap because in some cases you could buy another truck as a parts truck. But it's a handful. You are buying basically a tractor.

The M35A3 is what I'd buy if I got one. It's the last generation, built in the 90's and has a modern drive train, a CAT inline 6 engine with a alison auto transmission, it's quieter and smoother driving than the rest. I'd put on single modern surplus XZL tires onto single wheels on each axle and ditch the tandems.

Some shops will bob them and convert them to a 4x4 which is neat if done properly.

I mention the ranch thing for a reason... they are big and many towns/cities/neighbors will get a stick up their rear end because you are basically parking a old commercial truck in a residential area. Military vehicle collectors with small properties in bigger towns and cities usually have issues with storing their vehicles on personal property... many folks don't like living next to an armory..

On the other hand I've seen a few M35's scooting around west LA, not many, I know one group of contractors uses one in Venice beach as a work truck, you see it running up and down Lincoln Ave to the Home Depot over in Playa Vista all the time.

I'd get one if I had a few acres of land and a nice spot/shed to work on it.

There's a poo poo ton in Socal for sale, there's a whole ranch full of them over in Aqua Dolce, CA and 100dollarman sells them out of Apple Valley/Lucerne Valley.

Speaking of driving around large military vehicles in small towns, I cracked up when I saw this video, there's a few privately owned HEMTT's out there in surplus land...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip6z9ypFUy8

I guess Oshkosh didn't include cupholders... :v:

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 4, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mostly agreed. I got my 5ton (big brother of the m35) for 2500 bucks, drove it home, and will have about 5500 into it by the time it is done. It is currently worth more in scrap metal than I have into it and will stay about like that, less the 395/85r20 michelin XML tires I got for it. I really like a vehicle I can legitimately call an investment in scrap metal.

I only get away with parking it at the house because I got lucky, one of my neighbors parks his big rig on the street and worked on trucks in the military, one just got out of the marines, and the other is a florida redneck and therefore thinks it is awesome.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any of you guys around here fool around with Range Rovers? I was looking between a classic and a P38... Just wanted to know what you all thought of it.

I've got a classic, and it's a great fun vehicle. I'd always go for the classic over the p38. The electrics in them have a reputation for being a bit of a problem, and the air suspension set up is known to have issues.

The RRC is a fair bit more straight forward, with good articulation and soft suspenion they are very capable vehicles. The only thing that lets them down a little is the rear overhang. The split fold tailgate is extremely handy, although often the window frame section can be prone to rust.

p38's are ok too, some people seem to think the 4.6 blows heads frequently, but most of the people I've spoken to with them haven't had much trouble with the engine. It has always been something electrical.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008

skinner posted:

Thanks for the info on OME, it looks like that's what I'll be getting. One more question: Did any of you bother with the transfer case drop?

Front diff drop? My PO had put one on, I'm not sure that it's necessary especially if you're just going to run 880s or 881s. Can always just install the lift and see what your CV angles look like. Forget if I posted these but here's a few I had on photobucket, OME kit with 882s up front.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Safety Dance posted:

They are good. Depends on what you want to use it for. Heavy duty off road hauler ? Great. Replacement for a Jeep ? Could be a bit big, and bit fuel hungry and a bit loud.

They're backyard mechanic friendly but you need to think outside the box to work on them sometimes because everything on them is HEAVY. My wheels/tires weigh in around 300lbs per. And axle weighs probably 600lb or more. If you like your back, investing in an engine hoist for the light stuff and some sort of mini crane or winch for heavy stuff is almost a must.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

yeah... if you want to put your spare tire in the bed by yourself, plan on bringing a pair of 2x6s and an old ratchet strap with a hook on the end and it'll still hurt your back.

I had to buy a whole new set of tools. Lug nuts are 1.5" iirc (and are torqued to some ridiculous spec, not sure what it is on a deuce but my 5 ton requires at least 450 ft-lbs) and I had to buy a 15/16" gearwrench to have any chance at tightening my power steering box mounting bolts. I haven't even tried to swap axle torque rods yet, those things have torque specs up in the 600 ft-lb range and the nuts are at least 2" across. It's very strange going from worrying about breaking bolts to worrying about being able to torque them enough.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011
Some pictures from Hollister Hills today.

bowling 4 buttcoins fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 8, 2012

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Geared Hub posted:

I guess Oshkosh didn't include cupholders... :v:

Mil vehicles normally don't. No stereo either which can make long road trips feel even longer.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

kastein posted:

yeah... if you want to put your spare tire in the bed by yourself, plan on bringing a pair of 2x6s and an old ratchet strap with a hook on the end and it'll still hurt your back.

I had to buy a whole new set of tools. Lug nuts are 1.5" iirc (and are torqued to some ridiculous spec, not sure what it is on a deuce but my 5 ton requires at least 450 ft-lbs) and I had to buy a 15/16" gearwrench to have any chance at tightening my power steering box mounting bolts. I haven't even tried to swap axle torque rods yet, those things have torque specs up in the 600 ft-lb range and the nuts are at least 2" across. It's very strange going from worrying about breaking bolts to worrying about being able to torque them enough.

There's a bunch of crane/assist tire lifts now for the big trucks with the runflat/beadlock combo's weighting a few hundred pounds.

Heck my HMMWV wheels weight about 150-160 lbs, I managed to get a surplus Rhino tire lift from a HMMWV which has screw jack built into a swing arm so you can lift and drop the spare with 2 fingers.

They surplused all the old designs for cheap [$50 each bulk], and replaced them with a model that can drop a spare with 1-2 pumps vs 20-30 for the old design.

For the crazy torque ranges I keep an eye out on craigslists for used Proto torque wrenches and torque multipliers, you can get them for 100-200$ if you are lucky and they'll go up to 600-800 ft lbs. They are serviceable and you can get them re calibrated if you find a busted up one for cheaper than that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I'll definitely have to look into one of those for when I run out of other things to dump money into on the truck. It's a money grubbing parts whore right now...

I love having a beat up, 6 by 4 foot self propelled 4x4 wheelbarrow for hauling the old shingles from my porch up the hill to the dumpster:

(subtitle: every day I'm shovelin')

PulsarD
Aug 7, 2003
Premium
Biscuit Hider
High five!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Hard parking up in this thread

IOwnCalculus posted:

A civillian Hummer actually getting to do what it's supposed to do. Beautiful. :patriot:

I think it would have been comical, however, to have an H2 and an H3 tagging along and/or getting dragged along by the real Hummers :v:

Last time I was at rausch creek, I stopped at a gas station down in pine grove to fill up. There was an h2 covered in lightly mud splattered vinyl wrap with the owner slowly peeling it off. Just as I was starting to laugh, a convoy of about 6 civvy h1s rolled by, battered, scratched, and 100% covered in mud... I wish I had my camera handy.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kastein posted:

Hard parking up in this thread

Last time I was at rausch creek, I stopped at a gas station down in pine grove to fill up. There was an h2 covered in lightly mud splattered vinyl wrap with the owner slowly peeling it off. Just as I was starting to laugh, a convoy of about 6 civvy h1s rolled by, battered, scratched, and 100% covered in mud... I wish I had my camera handy.

The H3 and H2 are every bit as capable as an H1 or Jeep Rubicon. They get bashed because of a 10 year old YouTube video of a broken tie rod, and 95% of the owners don't use them to their capability, but when they do go out on the trail, they work very well with a good driver that isn't scared of scratching an expensive vehicle.

Keep in mind the h2 and h3 are falling in price on the used market. I'm sure the chances of seeing them on the trails is going up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

jonathan posted:

The H3 and H2 are every bit as capable as an H1 or Jeep Rubicon. They get bashed because of a 10 year old YouTube video of a broken tie rod, and 95% of the owners don't use them to their capability, but when they do go out on the trail, they work very well with a good driver that isn't scared of scratching an expensive vehicle.

Keep in mind the h2 and h3 are falling in price on the used market. I'm sure the chances of seeing them on the trails is going up.

Yeah H2's are getting pretty cheap--almost under 15k. I'd really like to find an H3 alpha for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jonathan posted:

I was more making fun of the sissified owner in this case. Though I am somewhat of a live axle fanboy...