Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Apart from maybe one or two threads about what gaming system is best suited for playing as ponies I've never seen any of that on the giant forum. Maybe I hang out in the wrong correct part of it.

While ponies are awesome the people who obsess over them tend not to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could say the same about RPGs. The GiantITP forums in particular always seemed like they were out to prove that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It just dawned on me that most of my players are like Belkar with his present philosophy.

I feel rather fine with that.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The GitP forums have been de-ponyfied - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JosephWongKS posted:

The GitP forums have been de-ponyfied - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/

Ah, so instead of being silly and full of awfulness, they're no longer silly!

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Poil posted:

Apart from maybe one or two threads about what gaming system is best suited for playing as ponies I've never seen any of that on the giant forum. Maybe I hang out in the wrong correct part of it.

While ponies are awesome the people who obsess over them tend not to be.

Do you not see the enormous number of pony threads they have in Media Discussions?

They're almost impossible to miss even if you don't go there. They're almost always on the front page.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

why are you guys reading the GitP forums when they have already been classified as super horrible?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

HKR posted:

why are you guys reading the GitP forums when they have already been classified as super horrible?

Why do you answer your own questions?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

oobey posted:

Why do you answer your own questions?

just think, every minute you spend reading MLP discussion on the OotS forums you could have spent reading a book you never read before.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

HKR posted:

just think, every minute you spend reading MLP discussion on the OotS forums you could have spent reading a book you never read before.
Or, more likely, hitting F5 on the SA forums.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

HKR posted:

Be careful with this line of thinking. Every minute spent reading OOtS could've been used to read a classic of the Western canon. Every second spent posting on SA could've been spent earning a medical degree with an emphasis on research in order to cure diseases. Every moment of your life could have been spent more efficiently to better the lives of your fellow living beings. The minute I spent posting this could've been spent not being a terrible poster.

Of course the above is true and should not be ignored, and we should try to strike a balance between what we enjoy for personal satisfaction and what we do for the betterment of ourselves and others, but it's not a great off-the-cuff argument for not doing something.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What the gently caress man. You also stand up at the comedy club and go all "Hey guys fun is fun but airline food needs to be both portable and sanitary, and while it can be dry I think they do a bang-up job with the tools they're given" ??

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I hope so, because anyone still telling airline food jokes deserves to have their routine interrupted and heckled the poo poo out of.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dolash posted:

The minute I spent posting this could've been spent not being a terrible poster.

Let's not go too far. ;)

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Especially because you pretty much have to be crossing an ocean to get airline food now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Not being served meals on domestic flights - what's with that?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love airline cookies though. Best cookies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Not being served meals on domestic flights - what's with that?
I just came flying in from Pittsburgh and boy am I hungry.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah Man posted:

Do you not see the enormous number of pony threads they have in Media Discussions?

They're almost impossible to miss even if you don't go there. They're almost always on the front page.

No, I don't read media discussions and I never look at that part of the front page. :v:

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
I'm Journalistic Neutral myself (with Spergful Chaotic tendencies). What are your forums alignments?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Danzou posted:

I'm Journalistic Neutral myself (with Spergful Chaotic tendencies). What are your forums alignments?
I'll bite; are you parodying something, or is this real?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

I've heard that the LG modules were real meatgrinders with really high rates of PC attrition. Was that the case?

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

It depended. The roster of writers for a region varied little season to season, and the writers DM'd to the greater chunk of a given region's playerbase. So if a DM wrote a meatgrind mod, he'd get a lot of angry glares and generally be regarded as a dick.

In my region, the Shieldlands aka the Upper Midwest, the writers set the mod difficulty to the core group in their city, Minneapolis. This group was a hardcore GM-vs-player group, with a ruthless high level caster core. So while the writers weren't putting out mods that would kill them all, the mods were meant to challenge a heavily munchkin'd group. This meant casual groups like mine had some real challenges, but this was usually countered by a friendly DM.

However, visiting other regions was a crapshoot. We went south for a convention, and a region with a reputation for lethality. Our high level group TPK'd by a Huge Acid Elemental that was specialized in grappling multiple opponents. :smith:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Verr posted:

However, visiting other regions was a crapshoot. We went south for a convention, and a region with a reputation for lethality. Our high level group TPK'd by a Huge Acid Elemental that was specialized in grappling multiple opponents. :smith:

Yeah, in my bit of Florida, modules written for convention use had a reputation for murdering three-fifths of your team and leaving the remainder maimed for life. It was something of a running joke in these parts.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Is it just me or have a lot of webcomics rather suddenly started up Kickstarter drives? There are some good ones out there, but something tells me they aren't all $1 million worthy.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Geshtal posted:

Is it just me or have a lot of webcomics rather suddenly started up Kickstarter drives? There are some good ones out there, but something tells me they aren't all $1 million worthy.

Comics have been a part of kickstarter since the beginning. What you're seeing is an overall surge of kickstarters (In all categories) brought on by the very public success of OotS, Double Fine Adventure, Wasteland etc. Kickstarter even had a nice blog post about how the success of these mega projects and how they mean more funding for every project here.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Geshtal posted:

Nothing succeeds like excess.

Between the Order of the Stick's million dollar run and the Double Fine Kickstarter, it's like everyone and their mother is going to the Kickstarter well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I got my magnet in the mail yesterday!

Oh, and also :siren: New Strip: Acid Redux :siren:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I, too, get annoyed when people missapply the philosophical concept of karma.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funny I figured Yolk Yolk would live longer than that.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Why do I have a feeling the words "Karma's a bitch" are going to come back and bite him in the rear end sometime very very soon. Belkar should die soon according to the prophecy right?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Gonna be honest, "Somebody pops around in the last frame to seal the plot comic with a joke" is getting a little overused.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Danzou posted:

Gonna be honest, "Somebody pops around in the last frame to seal the plot comic with a joke" is getting a little overused.

It only took you 844 strips to come to that realization?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Danzou posted:

That's like saying the stick figure thing is getting old at this point.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Danzou posted:

I don't like jokes.

There are plenty of books you can read that don't even have one joke in them.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Vorgen posted:

There are plenty of books you can read that don't even have one joke in them.

Here is one now.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bouncyman posted:

Why do I have a feeling the words "Karma's a bitch" are going to come back and bite him in the rear end sometime very very soon. Belkar should die soon according to the prophecy right?

Does it say Karma for you? I clicked on it when it first came up and it was 'Payback' which doesn't really fit into the joke.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Evasion does not work that way!

:goonsay:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Evasion does not work that way!

:goonsay:

What do you mean?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Evasion protects against spells that allow a reflex saving throw for half damage--almost all damage spells from the Player's Handbook. Vitriolic Sphere was introduced later and is a power-creep spell... it allows a reflex saving throw, but not for half damage.

In fact, it does a flat (level)d4 damage, and then you make a saving throw or take an additional 9d4 damage over the next two rounds. Empowered, and that becomes (level * 1.5)d4, and a total of 13d4 extra damage on a failed save. Far from dodging a pair of acid spheres, Haley just sucked down 42d4 damage. The rest of the party took that much, or more, up to a ceiling of 68d4 damage.

Zz'Driti can nail that party from 960 feet away with Empowered Vitriolic Sphere. No rolls are involved, it always works. At that range, Haley's to-hit is at a -18, on a twenty sided die.

In high level D&D, casters trump everything.

(still :goonsay:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mystic Mongol posted:

Evasion protects against spells that allow a reflex saving throw for half damage--almost all damage spells from the Player's Handbook. Vitriolic Sphere was introduced later and is a power-creep spell... it allows a reflex saving throw, but not for half damage.

In fact, it does a flat (level)d4 damage, and then you make a saving throw or take an additional 9d4 damage over the next two rounds. Empowered, and that becomes (level * 1.5)d4, and a total of 13d4 extra damage on a failed save. Far from dodging a pair of acid spheres, Haley just sucked down 42d4 damage. The rest of the party took that much, or more, up to a ceiling of 68d4 damage.

Zz'Driti can nail that party from 960 feet away with Empowered Vitriolic Sphere. No rolls are involved, it always works. At that range, Haley's to-hit is at a -18, on a twenty sided die.

In high level D&D, casters trump everything.

(still :goonsay:)

And this is exactly why I said that the spells from Complete Mage and the Magic Compedium ruin DM's days. Because like 90% of the spells are crazygonuts poo poo like this.