Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

xzzy posted:

I just shoot with the WB set to cloud (it seems to produce the "least wrong" image) and fix everything at home, which basically means I've accepted that post processing is unavoidable.

I figured this would be the case, but it's crazy that the AWB can be so horribly wrong in these conditions. I didn't want to rule out the possibility that I was doing something wrong ;)

Here are a few more shots - the first from a few weeks ago:

And these two from yesterday:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Awesome, did you do the thumb-over-the-sun trick for that? Been meanin' to try that out.

edit: vvv Then it's even more impressive.

vote_no fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 14, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I did not for this shot but I usually do, it can be hit or miss depending on where the sun is located in the frame.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
Shot this the other day. Kind of annoying not being able to crop out that building without losing that bench.

OST_0418_ferdig by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

Also, I kind of like this drunken snapshot from a few years ago in Koh Phangan :

DSC_4219 by Robin Rist Kildal, on Flickr

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

vote_no posted:

Awesome, did you do the thumb-over-the-sun trick for that? Been meanin' to try that out.

edit: vvv Then it's even more impressive.

What is this trick you speak of?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onezero posted:

What is this trick you speak of?

Literally hold your thumb over the sun to blot it out when composing/metering a shot. Either to avoid burning your retinas or confusing the camera's meter.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That is a brilliant move, I'm pretty sure I've taken at least 5 years off the shelf life of my eyes when taking photos at the sun.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I need to invest in some nd filters. And drat that branch up above!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

xzzy posted:

Literally hold your thumb over the sun to blot it out when composing/metering a shot. Either to avoid burning your retinas or confusing the camera's meter.

Actually nether of those reasons, well maybe metering! I use it to reduce flare, usually only when I am shooting and the sun is in frame.

Example:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
God, your suns always look so phenomenal. I never ever shoot anywhere near the sun unless it's almost on the horizon because I'm so bad at it.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Stop down to get a nice "star" and use the thumb trick.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
How about some foggy landscapes from Sonoma, CA? (Crosspost from SAD)

Lake Sonoma by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Sonoma Vineyard by sulakkalus, on Flickr

And a shot of the mountains on my way back home.

HWY 36 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Drewski posted:

How about some foggy landscapes from Sonoma, CA? (Crosspost from SAD)

Lake Sonoma by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Oh, man, a road, a bridge, a lake, clouds, and greenery... pictures don't get much better than this for me.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

vote_no posted:

Oh, man, a road, a bridge, a lake, clouds, and greenery... pictures don't get much better than this for me.

edit: Can you please please please share a large copy of your dock photo? I would love to use it as a desktop background.

Glad you like it so much! :) I wouldn't have minded a little bit of sun to brighten everything up though. It was kind of silly, how high up it is, and at the time it was raining and I'm trying to carry my gear and an umbrella and it felt like you could slip through the stairway steps because of how they were built.

Lake Sonoma Overlook by sulakkalus, on Flickr

And there is way more lake than just in that photo. I'd say you're over 180 degrees surrounded. For example, the one previous cut off the earthen dam to the right, and there's a whole other area off to the left with a bunch of docks and boats. I wanted to include everything but I don't have a fisheye. My 17-55 is about as good as I can get. Here's one of the docks. You can see how the details on the far shore match up to the other photo.

Lake Sonoma-3 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Drewski fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 21, 2012

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Haven't posted here in awhile.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Leviathor posted:

Haven't posted here in awhile.

My dad used to live there. Princeville, not Poipu. I haven't been since Jan 2006. :/

But what a gorgeous shot that is!

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Taken on my iPhone 4s:

Big Sur by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

McWay Falls by bjsmith1984, on Flickr

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Drewski posted:

My dad used to live there. Princeville, not Poipu. I haven't been since Jan 2006. :/

But what a gorgeous shot that is!

Thanks. The south side of the island was really, really nice for visiting over winter. The surf on the north side was pretty sizable a few days, but oddly calm on others--for example, one day we were out on the ocean by Na Pali and were able to get into the sea caves. Two days earlier: 18-24' swells.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Leviathor posted:

Thanks. The south side of the island was really, really nice for visiting over winter. The surf on the north side was pretty sizable a few days, but oddly calm on others--for example, one day we were out on the ocean by Na Pali and were able to get into the sea caves. Two days earlier: 18-24' swells.

When I was there the Wailua river was at its lowest in something like 30 years. We were able to hike all the way back into the canyon where the helicopters go.

I took these photos way back then with a kodak easyshare. This was before I even knew I wanted a DSLR.

Kalalau Lookout by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Kauai Canyons At Waimea Canyon State Park by sulakkalus, on Flickr

100_0852 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Now that I'm more experienced and have much better equipment, I'd love to try to get shots like yours, but some bad poo poo happened over there and I'm not really a fan of Hawaii anymore.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Drewski posted:

When I was there the Wailua river was at its lowest in something like 30 years. We were able to hike all the way back into the canyon where the helicopters go.

I took these photos way back then with a kodak easyshare. This was before I even knew I wanted a DSLR.

Kalalau Lookout by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Kauai Canyons At Waimea Canyon State Park by sulakkalus, on Flickr

100_0852 by sulakkalus, on Flickr

Now that I'm more experienced and have much better equipment, I'd love to try to get shots like yours, but some bad poo poo happened over there and I'm not really a fan of Hawaii anymore.

It is gorgeous--I'd hate being hamstrung by something like an Easyshare. I had to use an older one of those once, and the battery lasted about four minutes on 'full'.

I didn't get to do a lot of hiking. Wandered around by Queen's Bath and Kilauea Bay a bit, but no real hikes. Snorkeling, though--lots of that.

Must have been some pretty serious poo poo to ruin the allure of Hawaii.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Leviathor posted:

Must have been some pretty serious poo poo to ruin the allure of Hawaii.

My father was killed in a helicopter crash a year after I visited. I just... don't want to go back. There are other places full of beauty in the world. I can skip one.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

:argh: that cable.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
What cable?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
drat, that was fast.

edit: I'm starting to work with Photoshop, but I'm having to be careful to not get out of control! Here's a super purple edit of an old photograph. I like purple!

Sailing the Purple Sound, on Flickr

vote_no fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 26, 2012

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"
Spent my spring break covered in snow in the Sierras and all I got were these lousy photos.

yosemite valley by schmoopybee, on Flickr

east buttress by schmoopybee, on Flickr

happy isles by schmoopybee, on Flickr

sunset, badger pass by schmoopybee, on Flickr

E: wrong images i'm dumb

Bialosky fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 4, 2012

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

good riddance, snow

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

aliencowboy posted:

good riddance, snow

I like this a lot! It looks like a painting!

Here is something I shot earlier today;

Reflections by HezzyUK, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

aliencowboy posted:

good riddance, snow

Good riddance indeed!

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

good riddance, snow

Great overall but I do feel like the depth of field is too thin. There's only this foot wide patch of ground I can look at in all the greenery. Not to say that everything should be in focus but I think the transition from detail to blur is a bit harsh.

Anyway here's some "landscapes" from me!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I like those last three quite a bit.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Yeah, the green cloud night sky one is great.

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

I'm relatively pleased with them. I can definitely compose better but I wasn't too deliberate with these, at least compared to other shots I've taken. I don't want them to look clinical. I don't know if that's the best way to describe it but I definitely want to be inventive with how things are composed (more than I have with these).

Anyhoo I think I want to try take some pics where you feel like you're in the frame looking in rather than looking at the picture itself. I think since I've been using a normal fov/tele lenses they're just sort of isolated compositions without any foreground to place you there.

East Lake fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 30, 2012

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Malibu, CA by francography, on Flickr

It was really nice out today, and then it got super windy :(

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

somnambulist posted:

Oh, wow!

edit: vvv say it ain't so!

vote_no fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 2, 2012

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

somnambulist posted:

I do like this but part of me is telling me it is just fake DOF in post :(

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Not sure if this is a landscape or what, but here I am experimenting with my 10x ND filter:

2nd and Cambie by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

The project is to do a series of busy locations, noon on a weekday, catching one ghost in each image.

Here's something more landscapy, taken during a recent ski tour:

slope by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

trees by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 12, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drat, I have never seen trees completely entombed like that. Is that a result of freezing rain or something?

At first glance I thought they were frozen people, or maybe snowmen.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

xzzy posted:

drat, I have never seen trees completely entombed like that. Is that a result of freezing rain or something?

At first glance I thought they were frozen people, or maybe snowmen.

Welcome to the Canadian West (read: Wet) Coast!

IMG_4909.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

IMG_4889.jpg by Brian.M.K, on Flickr

Typically you'll see rime form on one side of the trees, but the place I was in has a somewhat unusual weather system.

Rot fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Rot posted:

The project is to do a series of busy locations, noon on a weekday, catching one ghost in each image.

Here's something more landscapy, taken during a recent ski tour:

I was looking at this going "catching one ghost?" and then... :ghost:

I really like the second one, the trees look so humanoid that it's kind of creepy, we just get dry snow east of the Rockies

I visited one of the many sunny beaches of Canada on the weekend

Lake Louise by tylerhuestis, on Flickr