Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Ug, kind of a rough game this afternoon.

1. I was playing LW and the RW on my line was loving terrible at playing his position. Every time we were in our own zone he would end up down in the corner on my side.

2. Our captain wears a visor and caught a deflected puck in the mouth and lost 4 teeth.

3. In a game against this team back in November some of my team's less laid back players got in a brawl with a few guys from their team and I guess there's still some bad blood. The puck was rattling around in front of their net and their goalie was down and a couple of our guys were hacking at it. One of their players cross checked one of our guys in the face and then there was sort of a general melee. The cross-checker got tossed and they ended up giving 4 guys from each team 10-min misconducts so we had a short bench for a while.

4. I picked off a pass in the neutral zone and got a breakaway but totally flubbed my shot :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Thufir posted:

2. Our captain wears a visor and caught a deflected puck in the mouth and lost 4 teeth.

Thank god he avoided the dreaded cage-concussion!

I played in a laid back tournament yesterday, like 7 hours at the rink, 2 games and one half-lap of a footrace relay.

Good fun in all, only thing that kind of sucked was way the 4 teams ended up composed. We had 16-18 skaters on our team while all the others had 10-14, so it was like 4 minutes between shifts as a defense. We also seemed to have the largest composition of newbie skaters plus two small children versus full teams of adult males, but the skill difference wasn't frustrating so much as people taking long shifts.

One big guy accidentally ran over one of the 9 year olds on our team and the entire rink boo'd him for the next two minutes while he served a penalty and they gave the kid a penalty shot for it :3:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The team we played tonight is the team the rink owner plays on. Several are old CHL players, and he "recruits" everyone with high end college or major junior experience. So, they're usually pretty loaded skill-wise. We, for reference, are mostly guys who topped out at minor junior/midget AAA/good high school (except for one old awesome defenseman who played in the WHL back in the 80s).

We played them tonight, and it was such a study in contrasts I'm still a little bit shocked. We're playing extremely well as a team, especially defensively, and we're moving the puck about as well as our skill level allows. They on the other hand just tried to run coast to coast by themselves most of the time, if not that then they tried massive stretch passes to a forward who was floating around the neutral zone. We ended up beating them 14-7, and it really wasn't that close as our goalie was awful tonight. It is a great feeling when you out-team someone who is more skilled than you are.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I can't say enough about having a really good pro shop to go to. Dropped in for a sharpening, came out with a free trial pair of SuperFeet to test drive after talking to the guy who owns the shop. Played in them tonight, and holy cow what a difference it makes. They pulled my feet back in the boot which really opened up the toe box. I had a place in my left skate that I'd been toying around with getting punched out, but with the SuperFeet in the problem was totally eliminated. It was unreal. Also, the owner's sharpenings are incredible -- it's like melting butter to step out on the ice with a set of blades that he's done.

So +1 for good pro shops and SuperFeet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

To bring back bagchat, I just pulled the trigger on one of these: http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-equipment-bag-pro-36in.html

hopefully it holds up better than what it's replacing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has pro in the name, so you know it's good.

It does seem like a well designed bag, if I needed one, I'd probably get it. :v:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
The price isn't bad at all for something that says pro on it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Basically what I'm going for is that I want everyone to realize that I'm a pro player.

Next on the list: Bauer 4-Roll Pros.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thufir posted:

Next on the list: Bauer 4-Roll Pros.
Best. Gloves. Ever. :thumbsup:

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

real_scud posted:

Best. Gloves. Ever. :thumbsup:

QFT.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Also loving the Bauer 4 Rolls. Limited edition black with silver trim = sex

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have Bauer 4 rolls but they aren't pro.

I'm just a hockey scrub. :smith:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I use http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EQ50G not pro just elite =(

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Surfing Turtle posted:

I use http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=EQ50G not pro just elite =(
Wow, those gloves must blow.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Gio posted:

Wow, those gloves must blow.

I should have gone with the Easton EQ Pro.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Before there are lies being spread by certain individuals, I want to clear the air and let this thread know the truth.

I am the greatest goalie in the history of beer league.

Don't believe the lies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How much of your gear has pro in the name?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagle PPF gloves are the best.

Pro Preferred Fit :colbert:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

None =(

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Before there are lies being spread by certain individuals, I want to clear the air and let this thread know the truth.

Don't believe the lies.

He was so good that we had to ask him politely to take his gear off and skate out instead.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

His skill of using his hand on a puck in the air didn't help?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Received a Reebok Backpack Bag for my bday over the weekend. I was skeptical to begin with, but it actually worked out pretty well. Everything fits really well, and the little compartments make it easier to keep track of tools, pucks, etc. The backpack design is a lot less cumbersome too. I might be sold.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Bagchat: Samsonite manufactures the Reebok Hockey bags, or least the ones I see going by. I may have seen next years model go past on its way to the photographer today.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sba posted:

He was so good that we had to ask him politely to take his gear off and skate out instead.

Our dude did end up breaking his wrist. Out for a couple months. :(

sellouts posted:

His skill of using his hand on a puck in the air didn't help?

It definitely did help me put the puck in the net. Unfortunately, it was for the wrong team. I'm pretty sure I was given a glove with a hole in it or something...

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 3, 2012

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

My leg pads, glove, and blocker have pro in the name. :smug:
Guess that makes me #1 goalie.

Not that I know who the "pro" on the pads is.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't believe the lies.

I think you may have actually been better than the guy who was my team's goaltender later at Vacaville. In fairness, he was on his 3rd game in a row and I'm pretty sure that he didn't even get back on his feet once after the middle of the first period. But he also told me (I play defense) on a 3 on 1 I should attack the puck carrier, so I don't really think he's starting out in that great of a place either. ;)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Topoisomerase posted:

I think you may have actually been better than the guy who was my team's goaltender later at Vacaville. In fairness, he was on his 3rd game in a row and I'm pretty sure that he didn't even get back on his feet once after the middle of the first period. But he also told me (I play defense) on a 3 on 1 I should attack the puck carrier, so I don't really think he's starting out in that great of a place either. ;)

Ideally you want the defensemen to take away the passing lanes, though if they're not going to do that, then you'll settle for them taking one shooter out of the equation. The big part is just knowing what to expect, which allows you to be more aggressive, since you know what your D is going to do.

Edit: It's also funny how often 3-on-1s and 3-on-0s fail. It seems like the puckcarrier has too many options and they tend to run out of space before they can decide which play to make.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Aniki posted:

Ideally you want the defensemen to take away the passing lanes, though if they're not going to do that, then you'll settle for them taking one shooter out of the equation. The big part is just knowing what to expect, which allows you to be more aggressive, since you know what your D is going to do.

Edit: It's also funny how often 3-on-1s and 3-on-0s fail. It seems like the puckcarrier has too many options and they tend to run out of space before they can decide which play to make.

Guy was carrying the puck down the middle of the ice. I did a quick mental assessment of the two skaters coming down with him, and positioned myself such that I was blocking off the passing lane to the faster player while forcing the puck carrier wide in the direction of the slower one so that if he made a pass to the slower one I had a shot at pressuring the guy into missing the pass/making a bad play if he caught it. Puck carrier took a clean shot (I wasn't screening) and since the goalie was just on his knees chillin it went in the net.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 3, 2012

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Topoisomerase posted:

Guy was carrying the puck down the middle of the ice. I did a quick mental assessment of the two skaters coming down with him, and positioned myself such that I was blocking off the passing lane to the faster player while forcing the puck carrier wide in the direction of the slower one so that if he made a pass to the slower one I had a shot at pressuring the guy into missing the pass/making a bad play if he caught it. Puck carrier took a clean shot (I wasn't screening) and since the goalie was just on his knees chillin it went in the net.

I'm just trying to figure out the rationale that the goaltender was using, though if he was tired and playing the whole game on his knees, then there may not have been much stategy involved. Even if he was playing it properly, then that's a tough situation, since there are three shooting options and while he should just focus on the puck carrier, it's pretty easy for your attention to honor the threat of the pass and for the goalie to freeze up if the puck carrier actually shoots. I don't think you played the situation poorly, but I'm not quite sure how I'd want a defensemen to play that. Maybe I'd want my defensemen to try and force a pass, since that would limit the options of the attackers and not force me to divide my attention between three potential shooters, but I'm not sure.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Just to add a bit to a situation where you are the only defender back:

You want to make sure you force the worst shot possible and cause them to hold up play for as long as possible to give the rest of your team a chance to get back onto defense. Forcing the puck carrier wide, and then position yourself to take away the passing lane is the best way to do this. By forcing the puck carrier wide, you are giving him a more difficult angle for the shot, and gives your goalie the opportunity to focus on one player instead of him needing to think about multiple shooters. If he decides not to shoot, and tries to bring the puck around the net for a wrap-around, or a quick pass to the slot, you should be able to maintain your position near one post, and then the other to cut off the pass. Plus, by the time he gets around the net to the other side, your team should have caught up and gotten back to help.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
That works great in a 2 on 1 (or a 3 on 1 where the puck carrier is coming up a wing and you can take away both passing lanes without standing right in front of him and screening the goalie). In a 3 on 1 where the carrier is coming up the center though it's a little trickier IMO. I did force him wide and took away the pass to the more threatening player, so he either had to shoot from an angle or pass to a weaker player with fair odds the weaker player would lose the puck.

I'm one of the few players in ~northern California beer league hockey~ who has ever actually played competitively and been coached by professionals so I get a lot of bad advice from other players, lol.

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Topoisomerase posted:

That works great in a 2 on 1 (or a 3 on 1 where the puck carrier is coming up a wing and you can take away both passing lanes without standing right in front of him and screening the goalie). In a 3 on 1 where the carrier is coming up the center though it's a little trickier IMO. I did force him wide and took away the pass to the more threatening player, so he either had to shoot from an angle or pass to a weaker player with fair odds the weaker player would lose the puck.

I'm one of the few players in ~northern California beer league hockey~ who has ever actually played competitively and been coached by professionals so I get a lot of bad advice from other players, lol.

No matter where he is coming from, it is important to force him down the wing, or make him pass it to one of his teammates who is taking up the space on the side rather than in the middle. The puck carrier cannot be allowed to come through the middle or get a shot down the middle. But, I do agree it is tricky, but that is the name of a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1. There is a reason the play is an advantage for the attacking team.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Question:

In that situation could you just not screen the goalie, and if you don't know who the bigger 'threat' is, to force the better passing option to the goalie's glove side (or whatever the goalie's strong side is)?

edit: or just try to force the pass to whoever seems furthest away (ideally giving goalie more time to adjust to coming shot)?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 3, 2012

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Doctor Butts posted:

Question:

In that situation could you just not screen the goalie, and if you don't know who the bigger 'threat' is, to force the better passing option to the goalie's glove side (or whatever the goalie's strong side is)?

That's why you force the puck carrier outside then take up the passing lanes. It gives your goalie an opportunity to focus on the puck carrier while creating the worst shot possible for him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Most of the guys I play with, when they see a 3-on-1 they say "ahh gently caress it" and take a leisurely glide across the ice, yielding a 3-on-0 and leaving the goalie completely hung out to dry.

Granted, they're all in their 40's (or older) and most of us have enormous beer guts so it's not like it's high pressure hockey. But I wonder what goes through the goalie's mind when that happens and if he secretly hates every single one of us.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Most of the guys I play with, when they see a 3-on-1 they say "ahh gently caress it" and take a leisurely glide across the ice, yielding a 3-on-0 and leaving the goalie completely hung out to dry.

Granted, they're all in their 40's (or older) and most of us have enormous beer guts so it's not like it's high pressure hockey. But I wonder what goes through the goalie's mind when that happens and if he secretly hates every single one of us.

One of the d-men on my team at least once a game:

*make a bad pinch, get beat*
*coast in a big slow circle to turn around*
*watch 2/3 v 1 go back the other direction*
optional: *raise arms in exasperation*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes there's the comedy option of taking off a glove and throwing it at the players who are speeding away with the puck.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Sometimes there's the comedy option of taking off a glove and throwing it at the players who are speeding away with the puck.

"The Hartnell"

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Awesome Animals posted:

No matter where he is coming from, it is important to force him down the wing, or make him pass it to one of his teammates who is taking up the space on the side rather than in the middle. The puck carrier cannot be allowed to come through the middle or get a shot down the middle. But, I do agree it is tricky, but that is the name of a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1. There is a reason the play is an advantage for the attacking team.

Yes this is what I did so I don't think we're in disagreement. :confused:

He shot from the wing rather than passing to the weaker dude on the same side of the ice as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Aniki posted:

I'm just trying to figure out the rationale that the goaltender was using

The rationale is that the goaltender was stupid and would rather hope for Topo making an unlikely clean steal and not having to make a save because they were tired. That's why they would say attack the shooter.

Topo knows what she's talking about and made the right play by anyone who is sane. It really isn't that difficult of a situation to understand. Force outside. Stop easiest/most dangerous pass. Pray.