Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
Well I got my first Implanon inserted yesterday. Previously I was using the Seasonique oral contraceptive and the PA that gave me my Implanon said that I can continue to take my Seasonique for the next week as my backup birth control. This is good news in that my boyfriend and I can't stand condoms, but I'm a bit worried that I will be a hormonal disaster.

I already feel a bit weird. I have this strange feeling that is a mix of heartburn and like I'm so full of food that I'm ill (but I haven't eaten today). I guess this means I'll be the kind that loses weight instead of gains weight because I can't even look at food today. I also feel a bit on edge and had the smallest spotting of blood already.

Apart from that I have extremely high hopes and am still amazed that I have not had Implanon sooner. 3 years of worry free birth control is worth anything to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Implanon is effective immediately as long as you were on bc before. There is no real reason for you to take your pills any more.

Also, the first week(-ish) feels very weird. Not only is your body recovering from the implant being put in, you get a boost of hormones to deal with. I don't really know how else to describe it, it felt very weird. Not bad, just different and strange. Also, do not be alarmed if you begin to cry randomly, I know a few of us in the thread experienced that.

Good luck! I enjoyed mine while I had it, and a few in here are on their second one.

Candygram
Mar 25, 2009

Flowers? Plumber? Wait. I-I'm only a dolphin, ma'am.
I thought it was strange that I would need to take my pill for another week. If I don't need it then I'll spare my boyfriend and myself the roller coaster.

Question to Implanon users: how soon did you find you were able to workout your upper body? I surf and weight train and would like to get back in the saddle soon but I expect my arm to be sensitive for a few more days as least.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Candygram posted:

I thought it was strange that I would need to take my pill for another week. If I don't need it then I'll spare my boyfriend and myself the roller coaster.

Question to Implanon users: how soon did you find you were able to workout your upper body? I surf and weight train and would like to get back in the saddle soon but I expect my arm to be sensitive for a few more days as least.

I felt weird the day after getting my first Implanon- a general malaise and a sore arm. Felt fine after that, aside from the physical pain from having a hell of bruised up arm. I think you'd be fine to start working out again as soon as that that heals up enough so that it doesn't hurt to move it around.

For the first couple of months I would randomly get sharp pains at the insertion site, even after the bruising had healed. I think it was a psychosomatic thing because once I stopped be so aware of the Implanon and "forgot" I had it, the pains stopped as well.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

fork bomb posted:

I felt weird the day after getting my first Implanon- a general malaise and a sore arm. Felt fine after that, aside from the physical pain from having a hell of bruised up arm. I think you'd be fine to start working out again as soon as that that heals up enough so that it doesn't hurt to move it around.

For the first couple of months I would randomly get sharp pains at the insertion site, even after the bruising had healed. I think it was a psychosomatic thing because once I stopped be so aware of the Implanon and "forgot" I had it, the pains stopped as well.

This. I waited two weeks to be on the safe side, but it really just depends how your arms feels.

I remember forgetting I had it too. Even though I had mostly forgotten it, when I got it taken out, I missed it for months. I kept going to poke it and just wasn't there. Or I'd twist my arm and that slight tug didn't happen. It's fine now of course, but it's weird how the body adapts to things.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Or I'd twist my arm and that slight tug didn't happen.

Was this something that happened the entire time you had it in or just at the beginning? I'm on my second Implanon now and I can't feel it at all from just moving my arm around.

Evaluation Unit
Apr 7, 2004
I SURE HOPE THIS GRUESOME TERRORIST ATTACK DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH COMIC-CON
Just contacted my insurance and PP about Mirena. They couldn't offer any advice really on the mini pill other than "it does that" so I guess I'm SOL until I have a consult on the Mirena. If my math is right it will cost me around $80 for the Mirena to be implanted in comparison to 5 years of birth control at $720 which is already sounding pretty good. Turns out my mother has Mirena also so I am going to talk to her about the whole process and everything and how it affected her.

Thanks SA!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

fork bomb posted:

Was this something that happened the entire time you had it in or just at the beginning? I'm on my second Implanon now and I can't feel it at all from just moving my arm around.

The whole time. Mine was pretty shallow, and my skin would pull over the ends of the implant when I twisted my arm in certain ways. It didn't hurt, I was just aware of it. But I've also got weird elbows that I can twist way farther than other people so maybe that had something to do with it as well. I posted once with a pic of how shallow it was when it came up before.

nixar55
Jul 25, 2003

She packed my bags last night. Pre-flight. Zero hour nine a.m. And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then.
I was the poster who was freaking out about my unannounced switch from Microgestin to Junel. Just finished my second pack and no terrible side effects to report. (No bigger boob effects to report, either. If anything, they seem slightly smaller. Sigh.)

Strangely, after about two weeks, I stopped feeling weepy every day. I've struggled with depression in the past few years, so I thought that was just normal for me. But maybe it wasn't? I still cry watching commercials sometimes and when I really think about how trapped in my lovely job I am right now, but I don't feel like crying every day. The only thing that's changed about my situation was the pill. Could it really have affected me that much?

If so, I feel like an idiot for not trying a new pill sooner. I just never had any other obvious side effects like weight gain or acne.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

nixar55 posted:

The only thing that's changed about my situation was the pill. Could it really have affected me that much?

Yes. And because it didn't have outwardly signs, like acne, you probably didn't realize that it was having that effect on you at all.

I'm really happy for you that this new pill seems to be helping!

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
An e/n thread needs your birth control expertise, goonettes!

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
Warning! Incoming stressed out word vomit!

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm getting Implanon put in my arm tomorrow, and I'm kind of freaking out about it. I realize I'm probably just working myself up into a panic attack over nothing, but the last time I had anything birth control-related inserted it was a Mirena, and oh my god. It hurt so badly (I have a sensitive cervix and they didn't numb it enough). I had one of these reactions and fainted. It took me hours to be ok enough to drive myself home, and then I was on the couch for days, cramping and bleeding a ton, with the strings constantly unfurling and poking me. Other than that I had no adverse side effects with Mirena, which was a minor miracle, and why I think I'd be more likely to take Implanon well. I just currently have the irrational fear that I'm going to get gangrene and lose my arm from the Implanon. :j:

I've already prepped for most of the things I can think of (my boyfriend is driving me to/from in case I faint again, I've done all of my dishes and laundry so I won't have to use that arm for a while, etc), but I could use some reassurance that I'm just being paranoid and that I'll be fine if a little sore by the next day.

Why other options are bad:
Mirena- see above previous experience story. Same thing for Paraguard plus the fact that my periods are god awful enough as it is.
The Pill- I lost a scary amount of weight, but I don't know if that was because of the horomones or because it exacerbated my depression to the point that I wouldn't leave my bed for days. I also got a ton of migraines and cried all the time. I think I only tried three different pills before I went "gently caress this" and got a Mirena, but I'm not in a place where I can be a depressed wreck for weeks hoping it will get better when I get used to the hormones. I'm moving, I'm changing jobs, I'm stressed out enough. This has also made me hesitant to try nuvaring.
Minipill- My schedule is going to be insanely hectic for the forseeable future, I can't see myself managing to avoid user error with this one.
Just condoms- One broke on us the day after my mirena was removed. Plan B was horrid. Never again.

The other thing is that my insurance doesn't cover any birth control. I'll be paying completely out of pocket for anything I chose, making Implanon a potentially really expensive failed experiment. The planned parenthood around here is incredibly underfunded, I would have to go a 60-minute drive away in order to maybe get something subsidized, but since I have (lovely) insurance and don't live with my mother anymore, the PPs I've been to (there's three within a 30-minute radius of my apartment) have said I don't qualify for subsidized care anyway. Thoughts? Advice? Anecdotal evidence to assuage my fears?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

gabi posted:

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm getting Implanon put in my arm tomorrow, and I'm kind of freaking out about it. I realize I'm probably just working myself up into a panic attack over nothing, but the last time I had anything birth control-related inserted it was a Mirena, and oh my god. It hurt so badly (I have a sensitive cervix and they didn't numb it enough). I had one of these reactions and fainted. It took me hours to be ok enough to drive myself home, and then I was on the couch for days, cramping and bleeding a ton, with the strings constantly unfurling and poking me. Other than that I had no adverse side effects with Mirena, which was a minor miracle, and why I think I'd be more likely to take Implanon well. I just currently have the irrational fear that I'm going to get gangrene and lose my arm from the Implanon. :j:

I've already prepped for most of the things I can think of (my boyfriend is driving me to/from in case I faint again, I've done all of my dishes and laundry so I won't have to use that arm for a while, etc), but I could use some reassurance that I'm just being paranoid and that I'll be fine if a little sore by the next day.
Take some deep breaths, because you're being incredibly paranoid. Your doctor could use a kitchen knife to open up your arm and roll Implanon around on the floor first, and you still probably wouldn't get gangrene and lose your arm.

When they put mine in, I didn't even realize what was happening. I was looking in the other direction and talking to a nurse, and when I felt the slightest of pushing sensations (but no pain), I figured the doctor must've just broken the skin. Nope! All done!

I had some local bruising for a little while, and I left the ace bandage on to protect the area for a couple days, but that was it. I wasn't curling 100 lbs, but I could still certainly do the dishes and live normally. Also obviously you shouldn't have cramping/bleeding/fainting/cervical issues because nobody is going even vaguely near that area. I'm sorry your Mirena insertion was no fun, but Implanon is completely different and it shouldn't be affected by your Mirena experience.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

gabi posted:

It will be much easier than an IUD. They do numb your arm and check it a few times to make sure it's kicked in first. Also, your arm is above your head as you lay on the table and in that position you feel less to begin with. I told the nurse I was nervous so she made sure to put everything away from my line of vision, which also really helped.

Overall, I could feel a tension, or a pulling like Anne was saying, but no pain at all. Then they wrap it up with a pressure bandage (which felt so nice). I kept mine on for a two days rather than one, so that helped as well. Really though, there is very little to no pain involved at all, and just general soreness in the arm for a few days. Afterward, I was actually laughing at myself for working myself into such a mess about it beforehand, it was way easier than what my imagination conjured.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Gabi, I'm backing what anne and reformed have said. The Implanon insertion is incredibly easy- they numb up your arm and all you feel is some pressure, not even pain. Once the numbness wears off your arm will be sore (because it will be bruised to hell), but that's WAY more tolerable than loving with your ladybits.

The day after insertion I felt kinda bad (I liken it to coming down with the flu)- a general feeling of grossness, a bit achy, not wanted to do anything but stay snugged up in bed. However, nothing traumatic. By the second day after insertion, I was back to normal, completely fine. The bruised arm healed predictably. You can hit the "?" under my or Anne's name for more posts about Implanon. :)

UO2
Apr 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is anybody aware of a "comparison" of the size of the various copper IUDs? I understand that only Paragard is available in the US, but there seems to be ~12 different models from various manufacturers available in the UK - some of which are allegedly smaller than the "one-size fits all" Paragard.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

gabi posted:

I'll add in my anecdote! I got Implanon close to a year ago now and it's never given me a lick of trouble. For the insertion, all they did was give me a local anesthetic, then cut a little slit and shoved it in. I don't remember any pain. At all.

My arm was wrapped in about an inch of bandages and gauze afterwards, which felt weird but it wasn't a big deal. I was supposed to leave the bandages on for a day or so and not get them wet. Again, no big deal.

The insertion site was bruised, and a bit sore for a few days, but that was it.

Take a deep breath and relax. You'll be fine. :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Is it normal to skip a period after a paragard insertion? I'm coming up to my second period since insertion and I feel nothing. No PMS, no gradual spotting like I used to get. The only change is I'm peeing more and my sex drive dropped a bit.

I checked the strings and its firmly in place. Is this normal? What gives, I got a new menstrual cup and I wanna use it.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

UO2 posted:

Is anybody aware of a "comparison" of the size of the various copper IUDs? I understand that only Paragard is available in the US, but there seems to be ~12 different models from various manufacturers available in the UK - some of which are allegedly smaller than the "one-size fits all" Paragard.

This is the first time I've heard anything to that effect. (Though I'm not surprised since a lot of information about BC is American-based.) Personally, I doubt that the size differences are anything besides brand differentiation. Sorry I can't point you in the right direction, but let us know if you find anything!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Shnooks posted:

Is it normal to skip a period after a paragard insertion? I'm coming up to my second period since insertion and I feel nothing. No PMS, no gradual spotting like I used to get. The only change is I'm peeing more and my sex drive dropped a bit.

I checked the strings and its firmly in place. Is this normal? What gives, I got a new menstrual cup and I wanna use it.

The paragard itself should not change your period timing AFAIK, but the stress of getting it put in (or anything else) could easily have delayed ovulation and thus result in a late period.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

gabi posted:

Yet another Implanon anecdote. I actually made my mom come with me to the insertion because I was nervous and I wanted her to hold my hand. Didn't end up needing her there at all, she sat in the corner while the Dr. numbed my arm, cut a little slit and inserted the implant. The worst part was the numbing and that was no more than a pinch. And the wrapping of it after, but only because she did it way too tight and had to redo it so I could use my arm comfortably.

Hopefully you'll be fine if you do what I (and obviously so many other people in this thread) did and don't watch the insertion. I didn't even realize it started before she was wrapping my arm up.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Can antibiotics* affect the effectiveness of birth control during the off week?

Or do they have no affect at all on hormones that are already built up in your system?

*Assuming it is one of the types of antibiotics that directly mess with birth control effectiveness

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 2, 2012

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Ceridwen posted:

The paragard itself should not change your period timing AFAIK, but the stress of getting it put in (or anything else) could easily have delayed ovulation and thus result in a late period.

I did have a period for basically the entire first month, and finally stopped spotting after sex, could that be it?

I'm just unsure if I should go pee on a stick yet. I'm not feeling any PMS symptoms or cramps and its really weird. I'm not even bloated...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Where do you guys live who had Implanon inserted via slits? I thought the norm was to use a big needle (with Implanon inside the barrel) to puncture and insert, then withdraw the needle and leave the implant behind. Doctors have to be trained before they can insert Implanon, so I figured it would be a standardized procedure.

Lanthanum
Oct 19, 2008

I wish I had a robot husband. That would be baller as fuck.

Anne Whateley posted:

Where do you guys live who had Implanon inserted via slits? I thought the norm was to use a big needle (with Implanon inside the barrel) to puncture and insert, then withdraw the needle and leave the implant behind. Doctors have to be trained before they can insert Implanon, so I figured it would be a standardized procedure.

I got mine done in San Diego, at a PP and they made a tiny slit, nothing huge.

I'm almost reluctant to share my Implanon story but here it goes. The insertion was alright until the dr got it in, then she was moving it all around and I had crazy bruises all over my upper arm from where she was trying to maneuver it into place. It didnt hurt till the next day where it was very sore and I could see all the purple on my arms. It's worth noting that I don't bruise easily.

After 2 weeks with Implanon I started my period. And it kept going. I started losing weight, and I lost a ton of hair. I also became anemic. I called PP and they told me over the phone that there was no medical reason for my to take it out. After 4 months of a period, it wasn't a light one either, it was a moderate flow, I went in to remove it.

The removal took over an hour, first she couldn't find it*, then she could see it, then she couldn't get a grip on it to pull it out. So another nurse(?) was called in. After they both tried to work with it, a third person was called in to help remove it. And again, the next day my arm was covered with bruises.

I know my story is far from the norm, and I was stoked to get Implanon initially because 3 years of worry free birth control is way awesome, but it just wasn't for my body.

*I'm a pretty skinny person, and its not like it was deep in my arm, it was right next to the skin and I would feel for it daily

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Anne Whateley posted:

They used a scalpel to cut a tiny incision to insert the needle into when I got mine put in. They did the same thing (tiny incision) and used what was basically a set of medical pliers to slowly pull it out when I got it removed. I was under the impression that because the needle they use to insert it with is a "U" that holds the implant, it is easier to insert if there already a hole to slide it into. Otherwise, if you tilt the needle at all during insertion, the implant can fall out.

My two scars, which are slightly spaced out from each other, measure slightly less than 3/8" end-to-end, so it's not big at all.

PP in Westminster, CA is where I got mine done.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Anne Whateley posted:

Honestly, mine probably was with a needle, I do remember there was a big one involved, but I didn't really pay much attention to what happened after I sat down. I didn't really look down that much in those ten minutes. I am obviously very susceptible to suggestion, I'd make a terrible eye witness.

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012

UO2 posted:

I don't have the pamphlets with me but I was fitted with a mini-something which was a smaller version of the non-mini one, for younger women who haven't given birth. That was a T and the two bars were of uniform width; copper was both on the arms and the vertical bar. I pulled that one out :downs: and then the next doctor gave me one that had longer but thinner arms with no copper around that, only the vertical bar. This was a lot more flexy at the T-junction. Supposedly this contributes to easier insertion and keeps it more stable in the cervix.

That doesn't seem particularly helpful. sorry :/ Maybe call up your local clinic to ask. I noticed it seems entirely dependent on the preference of the doctor doing the fitting.

Also, I'm on my first period since the insertion of my (second) IUD... I think. It's more like heavy spotting since yesterday. I don't know if it's a period or not - maybe it is, since I haven't been spotting between the insertion and now? I'm flying to meet my partner over the weekend and my period was actually due then, so I'm just hoping fervently it's come early and will be over by then. Or it's random spotting. ARGH. I don't really understand why the non-hormonal IUD does this. I know I'm not bleeding from trauma due to the insertion any more.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

UO2 posted:

You might have to do some legwork and find the dimensions for each model yourself and compile them. If you do so, let me know and I'll add it to the OP.

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
Hey everybody, thanks for all of the anecdotes! I'm definitely freaking out about it way less now. And holy poo poo, Lanthanum. I'm sorry. :(

Updates:
I might qualify for a state-funded program that would cover the cost of the Implanon and the insertion (Plan First in MI if anyone is curious)! Hooray! Unfortunately, I'm not going to know for about 45 days, so I've been put on the minipill in the meantime. It might work out better this way because now I can see if I'll have a crap reaction to having hormones in my bloodstream again, and have an extra 45 days to save up for it if I don't qualify for that program.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
'Sup guys, I've had a dumb condom tear open in me and I'm not currently on BC. I was, however, on day five of my period (usually the last day, only some mild spotting), which doesn't exactly make my uterus the most fertile of grounds. Do I still need Plan B or are the chances of getting knocked up negligible?
I want to be sure, but my friend has told me horror-stories about Plan B and ugh.

Scald
May 5, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 years!

InvisibleMonkey posted:

'Sup guys, I've had a dumb condom tear open in me and I'm not currently on BC. I was, however, on day five of my period (usually the last day, only some mild spotting), which doesn't exactly make my uterus the most fertile of grounds. Do I still need Plan B or are the chances of getting knocked up negligible?
I want to be sure, but my friend has told me horror-stories about Plan B and ugh.

You should be fine, Plan B is handy but it's not something you want to take if you can avoid it. Obviously play it safe but you should be fine 5 days into your period.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Scald posted:

You should be fine, Plan B is handy but it's not something you want to take if you can avoid it. Obviously play it safe but you should be fine 5 days into your period.

Phew, I'll admit I was looking for reassurance that even though it's technically possible, it's very very unlikely. I don't have any reason to believe ovulation would occur any earlier than around two weeks into my cycle and I don't think it would be off by that large a margin.
I've never had to take Plan B and I'd like to keep it it that way, so thanks!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Unless you track your cycle and know when you ovulate, I would still take a plan b. Many women have irregular cycles, or cycles that are longer or shorter than the "average 28 day cycle" bullshit the pill led us to believe is the norm. You only ovulate two weeks into your cycle if it's 28 days long. If you vary at all, so does the timing of your ovulation.

I agree it's not common to get pregnant on your period, but just to say "I have no reason to believe I will" is faulty logic imo.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
going to get plan b was more scarier than taking it. In fact, I wasn't sure if it was working because I felt completely normal. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry. A $35-60 pill is significantly cheaper than getting an abortion or carrying a baby

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Unless you track your cycle and know when you ovulate, I would still take a plan b. Many women have irregular cycles, or cycles that are longer or shorter than the "average 28 day cycle" bullshit the pill led us to believe is the norm. You only ovulate two weeks into your cycle if it's 28 days long. If you vary at all, so does the timing of your ovulation.

I agree it's not common to get pregnant on your period, but just to say "I have no reason to believe I will" is faulty logic imo.
My cycle is pretty regular, which is why I don't believe it deviates from the norm, fertility-wise. It might be off by 1-2 days every couple of months, but definitely not by 8-10. That doesn't take away from the fact that time of ovulation can't really be measured, of course, so now I'm stressing out again.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

InvisibleMonkey posted:

My cycle is pretty regular, which is why I don't believe it deviates from the norm, fertility-wise. It might be off by 1-2 days every couple of months, but definitely not by 8-10. That doesn't take away from the fact that time of ovulation can't really be measured, of course, so now I'm stressing out again.

If you chart your basal body temperature (your temp when you first wake up) and other fertility signs you actually can determine when you ovulate. If you've never read it, you should pick up the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility for further explanation. It will give you a lot more information about your cycle and help you make more informed decisions about what to do when you have situations like this in the future.

Your actual risk of pregnancy from the condom breaking on day 5 is low, but not non-existent, even if you have regular cycles. For example, if you have a long luteal phase (the post-ovulation phase of your cycle), and a 26 day cycle, you could ovulate as early as day 10. And since sperm can survive in your reproductive tract for up to 5 days, that would put you at risk for pregnancy. It's a lot of "if"s, but it is possible, even with a cycle that doesn't deviate much from the standard 28 days.

UO2
Apr 2, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Butt Wizard posted:

You might have to do some legwork and find the dimensions for each model yourself and compile them. If you do so, let me know and I'll add it to the OP.

Ok I did a bit of legwork, I don't warrant anything contained within the sheet and the sources are cited where applicable.

There seems to be a fairly limited number of designs, with some manufacturers knocking off or rebranding very similar products (and many are distributed by different companies in different regions) so I didn't put a whole lot of effort into tracking down the primary mfg/distributors.

This list is in no way advertised as being comprehensive:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuDl3_pjHrgFdEF6T2lrWUhSQ3hHd2xsV0NfVnJMeGc#gid=0

Evaluation Unit
Apr 7, 2004
I SURE HOPE THIS GRUESOME TERRORIST ATTACK DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH COMIC-CON
OK guys so as mentioned before I met with the nurse practitioner at Planned Parenthood and we spoked about IUDs/IUCs. She had mentioned a few things to me that I had no idea about before. She had mentioned Paragard which I had no idea about and how it can last 12 years. She had also mentioned the Implanon but for some reason something being injected into my arm weirds me out, and honestly doesn't last long enough for it to be worth it.

So basically my choices are this. Mirena or Paragard.

Mirena pros:
- Lasts 5 freaking years
- Will cost me $80 through insurance versus the $720 or more I will be paying for pills for 5 years
- No daily routine that I have to remember or else
- Don't have to pick up pills every month or make time to pick up pills

Mirena cons:
- Don't know how it will affect me as it is a different progestin apparently
- Slight chance of PID, perforation of uterus, explosion, etc which could require surgery to remove
- Probably won't fit as I am 5'2", 100 lbs, and have never had a kid

Paragard pros:
- Lasts 12 freaking years
- Probably will cost less than my pill
- No daily routine that I have to remember or else
- Don't have to pick up pills every month or make time to pick up pills

Paragard cons:
- Price???
- No hormones, heavier bleeding every month which it's already bad enough as is
- Migraines will almost certainly come back
- Terrible cramps will almost certainly come back
- Slight chance of PID, perforation of uterus, explosion, etc which could require surgery to remove
- Probably won't fit

I really would like to do one of these, and right now I am leaning more towards Mirena as I know how much it will cost and I am HOPING that if I do it my migraines will stay on the down low.

I was wondering if any of you guys had any anecdotes about any of this (migraine sufferers and Mirena?). Also, if it doesn't fit, will they charge me full cost for it anyway? She had mentioned she wouldn't force it in if it doesn't fit (obviously I wouldn't want her to do that) and obviously they can't use it on anyone else after that, but will it still cost me $80 regardless of whether or not it will go in there?

Also, my boyfriend is vehemently saying I shouldn't get an IUD because he is scared of every possible slight chance of everything and thinks it will ruin my uterus and I will need surgery to remove it. However, I can't say I care much as I don't ever want kids anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Azrael Engel posted:

- Probably won't fit as I am 5'2", 100 lbs, and have never had a kid

I'm pretty sure body size has little to do with the size of your uterus, so I wouldn't worry about this.

• Locked thread