Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'd say it's more like saying BJJ is the grandson of TJJ. You have a definite generational gap, but you can tell they have the same nose and eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Xposting from the martial arts thread since I had no answer :

KingColliwog posted:

Any recommendations for wrestling knee pads?

I've been using volley-ball pads for judo for a while now and it's not working out all that well. It likes to slip and get smelly so I'm looking for something probably made of lycra and gel?

Anyone wears knee pads under their gi?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'd say it's more like saying BJJ is the grandson of TJJ. You have a definite generational gap, but you can tell they have the same nose and eyes.

This is more what I was getting at.

My point that I probably should've been clearer on from the beginning is that a lot of modern practised martial arts like Hapkido, Aikido, Judo, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu even Karate share a common ancestry. Though what is practiced and taught today is a very different animal from what that ancestry would have been and even what their own art was 50 let alone a hundred years ago.

Judo in particular has been modified to have a lot of techniques removed, most of it is the nasty stuff that isn't allowed in modern competition.

Technically it doesn't make sense to say that BJJ came from Judo if you want to try to argue that it's the Judo that is practiced and taught in the majority of(especially western) schools today.

It's more accurate, looking at contemporary martial arts, if you want to trace the lineage of what you're doing on the mat to look at traditional Jiu Jitsu, at least in my research it's not easy to find a lot of "old school" (for lack of a better term) Judo that would look like BJJ.

I guess part of the problem, if you could call it a problem is that over the decades a lot of practitioners of various arts had different backgrounds or cross trained and so bases and techniques were altered and refined quite considerably from what they first were. You'd call me insane if I told you that a Hapkido master in vietnam had the same heritage technically as GSP as a Kyokushin karate black belt you'd call me insane, but it's actually true.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

BlindSite posted:

Technically it doesn't make sense to say that BJJ came from Judo if you want to try to argue that it's the Judo that is practiced and taught in the majority of(especially western) schools today.

I don't know, as someone who does both judo and BJJ and see has seen classes of JJJ/TJJ (never participated though) judo and BJJ seem to be 10x as close when you compare it to TJJ. I also think the transition from judo and BJJ is much easier to do than the transition from TJJ to either of them.

You could probably argue that BJJ evolved in a way that brought it closer to TJJ than judo is, but BJJ is still much closer to being judo than it is to being TJJ from what I've seen.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

KingColliwog posted:

I use cheapass Asics kneepads from Academy and they're alright for keeping my knees from getting too beat up drilling takedowns.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BlindSite posted:

Judo in particular has been modified to have a lot of techniques removed, most of it is the nasty stuff that isn't allowed in modern competition.

This in particular is the issue I have with your premise. The very thing that Kano did was sanitize the techniques of the TJJ Ryu he had learned to create Judo. This allowed for Randori (or "rolling", in BJJ) and safe Shiai and is the huge, non ignorable thing that sets Judo and it's offshoots apart from every other art you mentioned. Sure Judo has had stuffed banned over the years, and BJJ will too as it matures. But the central idea that spawned it was set forth by Kano 130 years ago. BJJ wouldn't exist without what Kano did. Without Kano you don't have Randori. Without Randori you don't have BJJ.

quote:

It's more accurate, looking at contemporary martial arts, if you want to trace the lineage of what you're doing on the mat to look at traditional Jiu Jitsu, at least in my research it's not easy to find a lot of "old school" (for lack of a better term) Judo that would look like BJJ.

Kosen Judo would like a work with you. But even without that, nobody claims that BJJ hasn't evolved into being an interdependent art. That doesn't change where it came from.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 24, 2012

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Unisex-Gel-Wrestling-Knee/dp/B005ACKYZY

I used those ones, they are pretty decent. I should really get another pair, one of mine wore out a bit.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Isn't there stuff in TJJ like "how do I attack a man on a horse while I'm on one knee and we both hold short swords"?

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
maybe that's why they're called traditional martial arts??

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
so it's kinda weird to claim that the red belt helio gracie uncovered the forgotten jiu jitsu techniques and diet?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I use cheapass Asics kneepads from Academy and they're alright for keeping my knees from getting too beat up drilling takedowns.

Drewjitsu posted:

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Unisex-Gel-Wrestling-Knee/dp/B005ACKYZY

I used those ones, they are pretty decent. I should really get another pair, one of mine wore out a bit.

Thanks. Those asics one look cheap enough to be worth trying a pair to see how I like neoprene pads.

Not sure though, am I supposed to order 2 of them since it says "available in single knee pad only"?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

KingColliwog posted:

Not sure though, am I supposed to order 2 of them since it says "available in single knee pad only"?

Yup. They come one to a pack. I guess wrestlers with actual cartilage in their knees only have to protect their lead leg.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
My old wrestling coach swore by volleyball kneepads.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I'm trying to learn the double-leg. I've had different guys tell me that (1) you should change levels before taking your penetrating step and (2) you should change levels DURING your penetrating step.

Do you just choose which method to use based on the situation?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Paul Pot posted:

Isn't there stuff in TJJ like "how do I attack a man on a horse while I'm on one knee and we both hold short swords"?

TJJ/JJJ like so many other traditional martial arts really differ from place to place. There's a few different jujitsu federations as well, and then there's sports jujitsu, which.. I don't really know much about.

So yeah, you'll find stuff like that in the syllabus of some TJJ schools I'm sure, but I do know that the world jujitsu federation doesn't have any horses involved. There's quite a bit of the good ol' ruffians holding your collar and people strangling you from behind at the lower levels, though.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I'm trying to learn the double-leg. I've had different guys tell me that (1) you should change levels before taking your penetrating step and (2) you should change levels DURING your penetrating step.

Do you just choose which method to use based on the situation?

I thought that you change levels before you step.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I train in judo and TJJ, there's still a lot of overlap in throws and chokes included with the striking. There's stuff I learn in TJJ that is very similar to judo kata. And, as Paul mentions, a lot of stuff applicable to if I ever wear ceramic plated armour and carry a katana.

KingColliwog posted:

Xposting from the martial arts thread since I had no answer : RE: KNEEPADS
I use lyrca brutes, ordered them from a HS wrestling coach in Ottawa: http://www.wrestlingpalace.com/kneepads1.html . Nice guy, I actually ordered some heavy dutier ones, but he called me to ask what I need them for and talked me down to the brutes (lighter padding). He also wanted me to take a measurement of my knee circumference just to make sure he was sending the right size.

I've been wearing the knee pads under the gi for over a year and they've been awesome so far.

Bangkero fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 26, 2012

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Another vote for volleyball kneepads. They're cheap and I found the fit a bit better for my tree-trunk short legs.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Subparr posted:

Another vote for volleyball kneepads. They're cheap and I found the fit a bit better for my tree-trunk short legs.

I grabbed a pair of volleyball kneepads this weekend since they were the price of another wrestling knee sleeve. They did great with this morning's drills. I guess the acid test will be tonight's roll.

Gotta love half price, though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Volleyball kneepads are great for wrestling, but as high profile and thick as they are don't they give you issues trying to fit your gi pants over them and also give your opponent something to easily grab ahold of?

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Mine aren't super SUPER high profile, and I can't think of a time where people grabbed them with any effect while rolling. I can see the gi pant thing being a problem if they are a snug fit to begin with. But then again, I'm a stocky dude and wear a size bigger in gis than I should for my height/weight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had a pair of volleyball pads but they soaked up so much sweat, I threw them out for being staph factories.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Thanks for everyones opinion on knee pads, I'll be buying some soon.

Xguard86 posted:

I had a pair of volleyball pads but they soaked up so much sweat, I threw them out for being staph factories.

That's my main issue with volley-ball knee pads. I sweat a gallon a minute when I train. I ruined a perfectly good pair of volley-ball knee pads in a couple of months (they were something like 2 years old and never gave me any problem playing volley-ball). I ended up buying another pair that was made out of gel and it's much better, but the material it's made of (sone sort of cotton I guess) likes to move and not stay in place. That's why I was thinking wrestling knee pads made out of lycra or something like that would be better.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I sweat like Abednego and the the new volleyball pads seem to move around about as much as my cheapo asics lycra sleeve. I got a small-rear end size, though, so they're tight as hell. :coal:

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
The IBJJF Pan Jiu Jitsu tournament starts tomorrow and goes through Sunday. Usually I do some sort of write-up for these but I'm not going to have time for this one(helping my friend cut weight today then going to be at the event basically non stop tomorrow-Thursday). Here's a pretty good write up from Sherdog(the guy who wrote this is one of the few non idiots on the forum and a Roger Gracie brown belt).

If you're interested you can find brackets here.

Also, If you can't make it down to Irvine Budovideos is streaming the entire event(unfortunately they aren't broadcasting free on Saturday). Apparently they will be streaming every mat all the time so you can pick which match you want to see which is pretty cool.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Our team, Renzo Gracie, is part of the combined Gracie Elite team at the Pans. The Gracie Elite competition team is a combined Ralph, Renzo, Rilion, Ryan, and Cesar team. We don't have a lot of guys traveling from NYC this weekend to compete but those who are traveling are a small but solid group of competitors: Gianni, Rafael, Kay, Garry Tonon, Joe Capizzi, etc.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 29, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

The IBJJF Pan Jiu Jitsu tournament starts tomorrow and goes through Sunday. Usually I do some sort of write-up for these but I'm not going to have time for this one(helping my friend cut weight today then going to be at the event basically non stop tomorrow-Thursday). Here's a pretty good write up from Sherdog(the guy who wrote this is one of the few non idiots on the forum and a Roger Gracie brown belt).

If you're interested you can find brackets here.

Also, If you can't make it down to Irvine Budovideos is streaming the entire event(unfortunately they aren't broadcasting free on Saturday). Apparently they will be streaming every mat all the time so you can pick which match you want to see which is pretty cool.

Good writeup. Mike Fowler at feather and Lucas Leite at heavy? :psyduck:

An additional tidbit - Ricardo Almeida will be competing in the Seniors Medium Heavy, which if I'm not mistaken will be the first time he's competed with the gi since 1999.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Lucas fought(and won) the no gi worlds at heavy as well. I read an interview with him where he said he trained with a lot of big dudes and felt comfortable with them so it makes some sense. Either way I'm excited to see him vs Tussa and or Lovato.

Fowler was always a pretty small middle weight and apparently he had a pretty easy time dropping a lot of weight for the ultimate absolute from last month.

Also, Andre Galvao is out

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Aaaaaand now so is Almeida, he sprained his MCL.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

So, I've had the privilege of attending classes taught by Leo Santos over the past week as he's been visiting the club I train at out in Newfoundland. (We're a Nova Uniao affiliate).
We got 25 cm of snow yesterday so Leo decided to go out and enjoy some of the weather.

He's pretty hardcore.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
How did you guys do this weekend at the pan ams? I didn't go this year. :(

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I got robbed in my first match. I was down by 1 advantage(this was also garbage - my opponent got an advantage for flattening me in half guard but he never got my far shoulder to the mat and he never crossfaced me) with about 10 seconds left in my match. Here's what happened after

I swept my opponent and stabilized the position for more than 3 seconds
The ref awarded me 2 points
Time expired BUT the ref didn't hear the table and didn't stop the match
After time had expired my opponent swept me back
The table finally was able to get the refs attention to tell him the match was over
Somehow my sweep points disappeared?
My opponent gets his hand raised

dokomoy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 2, 2012

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
did you cry

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

david carmichael posted:

did you cry

I drowned my sorrows in In-N-Out

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I got robbed in my first match. I was down by 1 advantage(this was also garbage - my opponent got an advantage for flattening me in half guard but he never got my far shoulder to the mat and he never crossfaced me) with about 10 seconds left in my match. Here's what happened after

I swept my opponent and stabilized the position for more than 3 seconds
The ref awarded me 2 points
Time expired BUT the ref didn't hear the table and didn't stop the match
After time had expired my opponent swept me back
The table finally was able to get the refs attention to tell him the match was over
Somehow my sweep points disappeared?
My opponent gets his hand raised

Reffing in BJJ is in severe need of some professional development. Or at the very least it needs to no longer be "guys who may or may not have ever competed that had a 5 minute rule meeting this morning".

Judo and Wrestling both have issues with bad refs, but BJJ reffing is institutionally bad.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yes at least other sports require some kind of ref qualification. Bjj is basically a warm body.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
I went to the "Official IBJJF ref training class." It was incredibly convoluted, nonsensical, and the instructors couldn't agree on some of the answers to asked questions. It's seriously a joke. My first pan am, one ref was eating a slice of pizza during a match. Seriously.

Death Bucket
Jul 19, 2001
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Nothing could be worse than the Arnolds a year or two back where they just picked up random refs from the karate comps or whatever and you'd have fat idiots with double-wide red belts letting people get their arms broken because they had no idea they were actually supposed to stop a match when one guy is tapping frantically.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010

Thoguh posted:

Reffing in BJJ is in severe need of some professional development. Or at the very least it needs to no longer be "guys who may or may not have ever competed that had a 5 minute rule meeting this morning".

Judo and Wrestling both have issues with bad refs, but BJJ reffing is institutionally bad.

I was at a local tournament over the weekend - standard IBJJF rules and my buddy was filming some of the guys from our gym who were competing in their first tournament. I poo poo you not, at one point during the competition, the ref goes up to my buddy and asks "What's an advantage point?"

In the nine matches he reffed, he did not give a single advantage point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

JayBulworth posted:

I was at a local tournament over the weekend - standard IBJJF rules and my buddy was filming some of the guys from our gym who were competing in their first tournament. I poo poo you not, at one point during the competition, the ref goes up to my buddy and asks "What's an advantage point?"

In the nine matches he reffed, he did not give a single advantage point.

haha thats almost better since it kills the "get a crappy advantage then stall" game.