Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

grover posted:

More of his insane wealth here: http://inequalityreduced.blogspot.com/2008/12/extreme-wealth.html

Actually, I wonder if the guy gets a new palace-jet every few years because they're so tacky and intolerable he can't bear to look at them more than a few times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

BonzoESC posted:

Actually, I wonder if the guy gets a new palace-jet every few years because they're so tacky and intolerable he can't bear to look at them more than a few times?

He does, but I think it's more because he can't be hosed cleaning it

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

BonzoESC posted:

If those jets are maintained anything like Emirates airline, they spare no expense when they buy it, but then skimp on maintenance and upgrades until it's obsolete/ruined/etc and then buy another.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

grover posted:

If those jets are maintained anything like Emirates airline, they spare no expense when they buy it, but then skimp on maintenance and upgrades until it's obsolete/ruined/etc and then buy another.
That's quite the contrast to the museum pieces United owns.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

BonzoESC posted:

That's quite the contrast to the museum pieces United owns.
Delta still flies /W DC9s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What's even more hilarious is they're bringing more out of storage or something to meet demand. Delta's -50s are for the most part 30+ years old.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

How...why?

What?

Psionic Sasquatch
Oct 31, 2006
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Aargh posted:

I was watching "the apprentice" once, they showed the interior of trump's jet. It was all mahogony, walnut burl, marble and gold. It was loving hideous. Rich people have no taste.

I've been on trumps plane, did some maintenance on it before he sold it recently. The thing had a crazy interior but was in rough shape everywhere else

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Nebakenezzer posted:

How...why?

What?
Maybe it just seems that way; all their aircraft are brand-new, but everything about them always seems to seem like they spent a shitload to buy "the best", but then completely ignore it after that. It's the little things, like burnt out light bulbs and obviously extremely expensive big-screen TVs showing 3-year old movie trailers.

Also, this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_%28airline%29#Current_passenger_fleet

Clearly, the A340 and 777-200 are uneconomical obsolete aircraft that need to be retired from service. I mean, they're, what, 10 years old now? 15? Old poo poo. Phase 'em out! Maybe sell them to Delta so they can stop flying 30-year old DC-9s?

grover fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 3, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Every night I pray to the oil fairy for peak oil to kick in. Not because I want my own semi-Dubai nation, Norway, to collapse, but because I want the disgusting, thieving Saudi rule to wither away and die.

Content to alleviate communist content, a VTOL ultralight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3yjpX54s_U

My take is that if you have 8 small capacity 2-strokes keeping you aloft, the 7-engine landing procedure you learned on your 8-engine checkout will be tested on every flight, apart from those that end in 6 or less.

edit: omg it might be 16. Multiply my sarcasm by 2, but leave some leeway for the very smooth controllability.

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 3, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

grover posted:

Also, this:

Clearly, the A340 and 777-200 are uneconomical obsolete aircraft that need to be retired from service. I mean, they're, what, 10 years old now? 15? Old poo poo. Phase 'em out! Maybe sell them to Delta so they can stop flying 30-year old DC-9s?

Its more they're replacing those aircraft with larger and/or longer range versions

Those US carriers are a bit of an anomaly though, few airlines are flying such old aircraft even short haul. Look at Singapore' Lufthansa or Qantas - their oldest planes are generally 747-400s which are soon to be phased out and 767s which would have already been replaced if the Dreamliner was on time.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

movax posted:

I like how it has virtual prayer mats for facing Mecca in a prayer room, despite the fact that everyone on the plane is going to be shitfaced and the dude's going to be swimming in women.

Also, I guess flying that is the natural career progression after you get bored of flying Air Force One. Bet the security staff/flight attendants are all ex-SAS/ex-Mossad too.

Nope, just hot chicks. I know the first female pilot for Prince Al-Waleed. According to her, the selection process for his staff is pretty much how do you look in heels and a D&G skirt. She had a commercial license from Jordan at the time of this article, went to London and failed to convert to JAA. She was sent to Flight Safety with over 400 hours and after evaluation, they told the Prince she was ineligible for an instrument rating because she failed to meet the prerequisite skills to hold a private pilot license. After 8 years on staff, they finally reduced her pay from $9k a month to $5k a month until she has completed her training. They're still paying for all her training and housing on top of her salary though. So yeah, you're just going to be lucky as gently caress to fly that plane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This is what an old 707 flight deck looks like.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

HeyEng posted:

I like how the most modern instrumentation in that cockpit looks like the FMS/INS down near those :black101:-as-gently caress throttle levers

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Butt Reactor posted:

I like how the most modern instrumentation in that cockpit looks like the FMS/INS down near those :black101:-as-gently caress throttle levers

That and TCAS. The new poo poo was finally done getting installed early last year I think. Less than 2 years for sure.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

HeyEng posted:

drat, you guys get FMS? Lucky

Here's an old C-130 flight deck.

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/GhrPX.jpg

And of course by "old" we mean "old but still in heavy use"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's not an FMS. Looks like one but isn't. It's a GINS unit which does GPS/INS nav which can feed that info to the autopilot that can really only fly an orbit. All A/P inputs are done by a small control panel behind the throttles. Up/down roller for altitude, big ol'knob for lateral turns, and obviously throttles.

Very limited to a real FMS.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I remember visiting a simulator, and the fancy new weapons tech they had was a laptop bolted to a fold out tray, because they hadn't actually integrated everything yet.

Was pretty hilarious looking, although I have to admit it seemed pretty functional.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

manic mike posted:

drat, you guys get FMS? Lucky

Here's an old C-130 flight deck.

Bigger: http://i.imgur.com/GhrPX.jpg

And of course by "old" we mean "old but still in heavy use"

Ours (NZ) have been upgraded to this

Originally purchased in 1965 they have to last through to at least 2017

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

HeyEng posted:

It's not an FMS. Looks like one but isn't. It's a GINS unit which does GPS/INS nav which can feed that info to the autopilot that can really only fly an orbit. All A/P inputs are done by a small control panel behind the throttles. Up/down roller for altitude, big ol'knob for lateral turns, and obviously throttles.

Oh ok, we have the same type of thing. It's called CANS. Not very fun to operate.

Mr. Despair posted:

I remember visiting a simulator, and the fancy new weapons tech they had was a laptop bolted to a fold out tray, because they hadn't actually integrated everything yet.

Was pretty hilarious looking, although I have to admit it seemed pretty functional.

We use laptops on a lot of planes. It makes it easier to install new technology without modifying the aircraft. Way cheaper too.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

dissss posted:

Ours (NZ) have been upgraded to this

Originally purchased in 1965 they have to last through to at least 2017

Nice, that looks an awful lot like the AMP program C-130s.

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/support/maintenance/c130/index.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Assuming everything holds like it was during last year's exercise season (which it should), I will be getting a ride on one of the RAAF's -J models during a Red Flag-Alaska vul in the June exercise. Hopefully I'll take some decent pictures this time; those HUDs are pretty slick.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Its more they're replacing those aircraft with larger and/or longer range versions

Those US carriers are a bit of an anomaly though, few airlines are flying such old aircraft even short haul. Look at Singapore' Lufthansa or Qantas - their oldest planes are generally 747-400s which are soon to be phased out and 767s which would have already been replaced if the Dreamliner was on time.
Do any other airlines have the same "short haul" profile as US ones? My longest flight over the last three months was six hours MIA-SFO, and none of my other ten trips involved more than one stop (basically 2-3 hours to a hub, then 1-2 hours to destination. The US is a big country with lots of airports and cheap airlines, and if DC-9s and 737-300s work for some airlines, more power to them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

grover posted:

Especially with the route structure Emirates has, longer range higher capacity planes are key to maintaining high profitability. They bought the 340 and the 777-2 when those were the highest-cap longest-range airlines on the market. Now that there's something bigger, better and more capable, why wouldn't they invest in lower costs per seat mile when they're able to fill planes easily, and there's a decent market for the 777-2 as a freighter on the used market?

Delta's weird. I think they fly the DC-9s because they're paid off and they have some sort of long-term DC-9/MD80 maintenance contract or a warehouse full of parts. They mothballed some A320s from the NWA fleet that were significantly newer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BonzoESC posted:

Do any other airlines have the same "short haul" profile as US ones? My longest flight over the last three months was six hours MIA-SFO, and none of my other ten trips involved more than one stop (basically 2-3 hours to a hub, then 1-2 hours to destination. The US is a big country with lots of airports and cheap airlines, and if DC-9s and 737-300s work for some airlines, more power to them.

I would guess that in Europe especially the route profile is similar but I'm not knowledgeable about domestic Chinese/Russian etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

HeyEng posted:

I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times a guy in the back had to tell the nav we were 20+ miles outside the orbit because the autopilot decided it was bored. My favorite was when we almost went into Iran.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta's weird. I think they fly the DC-9s because they're paid off and they have some sort of long-term DC-9/MD80 maintenance contract or a warehouse full of parts. They mothballed some A320s from the NWA fleet that were significantly newer.

There's capacity and labor relations issues for them to worry about too. Delta's only allowed to contract up to a certain amount of regional jets of different capacities.

Today, Delta is flying three E-175s between MSP and YYC, for a total capacity of 228. If the first and third flights were consistently oversold while the second flight was consistently undersold, they might want to optimize that. One option would be to increase the first and third flights' seating from 76 to 125, get rid of the second flight, switch to mainline DC-9-50 (flown by union pilots), freeing up three regional jet options for somewhere else, one slot each at MSP and YYC (keeping in mind these aren't particularly constrained airports), and all this without buying a single airplane.

The maintenance thing isn't a contract or a warehouse full of parts, it's that they do their own (as well as maintenance for other operators) and every DC-9 they own but don't fly is literally made of parts.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Especially with the route structure Emirates has, longer range higher capacity planes are key to maintaining high profitability. They bought the 340 and the 777-2 when those were the highest-cap longest-range airlines on the market. Now that there's something bigger, better and more capable, why wouldn't they invest in lower costs per seat mile when they're able to fill planes easily, and there's a decent market for the 777-2 as a freighter on the used market?

Aircraft financing still kind of boggles my mind. There was an excellent post in this thread by someone that broke down the major players and such, which was a great read.

Seems like everything comes down to :10bux: at the end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, the poo poo is really hitting the fan in Canada over the F35 today.

An auditors report is absolutely crucifying the DnD (Department of defense) about basically lying and bullshitting about the whole thing and fixing the process from the get go.

The Government is expected to rapidly fall into face saving mode (pretty tough) and taking away pretty much all decision responsibility from the military.

Who knows. We might get an open competition after all.

I am more than a little disappointed that the Military was apparently hiding and lying about this.. and as a right leaner disappointed that the Government was seemingly and maybe willingly blind to it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/04/02/f35-auditor-general-report.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Maybe Canada will finally get the fighter it deserves: the Avro Arrow!

But no really, Canada will end up flying those F-18A's until 2040.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gripens for everybody! They are made by Swedes who are like the Canadians of Europe or something!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Why does Canada need frightfully expensive fighter jets? It's not like Boeing/General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin are Canadian companies that need corporate welfare.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The old logic was that Canada, via the pole, is basically right next to Russia and her nuclear bomber force. It also has an unfathomably large amount of territory and coastline to monitor.

In today's world? They would probably be better off buying a shitload of UAV's and P-8s instead. But that's theorycrafting assuming a peaceful future, who knows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BonzoESC posted:

Why does Canada need frightfully expensive fighter jets? It's not like Boeing/General Dynamics/Lockheed Martin are Canadian companies that need corporate welfare.

Not sure your question. Do you mean fighter jets in general or just these ones?

We need fighter jets in general for the same reason that most 1st world countries need fighter jets. International commitments, fighting in future battles we can't even imagine right now and enforcing sovereignty by playing hide-and-seek with the Bears that still like to probe Canadian airspace.

These fighters in general though, that is the question and I think the day of reckoning might be here.

By the time all the smoke has cleared, I bet we'll have an agreement for superbugs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

So you can be in the cool kid club of Countries with Nice Fighter Jets and you don't have to sit at the kid's table with the guys with older Mirages and early-block F16s and everything. Those kids are gross.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Something like that.

Truth is, by the time we start getting any meaningful deliveries of whatever we end up with, the F18s are going to be 40 years old. There are already limits on the airframes for G-loading to make them last as long as possible.

They're old, tired, and only going to get worse.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
According to some random hipster, having this as computer wallpaper is "retro" and "ironic"
http://i.imgur.com/M6P6i.png

There is nothing ironic about my love of old airplanes <:mad:>

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

True old airplane wallpaper hipsters prefer the Amiot 143:

the Bloch MB.200

or the General Aviation Fleet Shadower:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Every aircraft should have a picture-window-lined living room as the nose.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

According to some random hipster, having this as computer wallpaper is "retro" and "ironic"

"Retro" I get.

"ironic" is just a mis-use of the word.

Saved for myself, btw. Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

That shouldn't be your wallpaper, it should be blown up, framed and put next to a Breitling poster with a silhouetted F-14 in your man cave.

I really want my own place so I can start my awesome cave :(