Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

opengl128 posted:

That reminds me of something my mom said after my wreck where my first SV650 was totaled. Once I told her I was getting another bike and would continue to ride:

"well wouldn't you at least consider getting a safer bike?"

Still to this day don't know what she meant. One with more seat belts and airbags?

Shes probably thinking a cruiser cause its not a road rocket cause even the smallest of those will loop you if you look at it funny :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

If you're talking to your mom via email, I guess your relationship isn't that close? Regardless, don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't ride. If you are on here, wearing gear, taking the MSF, and buying an appropriate bike, you are already leaps and bounds ahead of 90% of riders.

I told her via phone, but I'm a couple timezones away and for some reason she likes to email.

Yeah... Ninja 250, MSF, full gear all the time. Trying my best here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My father's reaction when I told him I wanted to get a bike was mild dismay, followed by telling me about all his patients who have various lifelong disabilities from motorcycle accidents, and about his buddies in the ER who "put kids back together all the time". But then he said "but...my two best friends have been motorcycling since they were teenagers, and have owned dozens of bikes, and they're both conscientious and methodical and have never been seriously injured. I want you to talk to both of them before you do anything else."

So I did, and I got a bike as a project to restore over time to make it clear that I was being methodical and careful instead of just getting something to rip around on for no reason. Now I catch him sitting on the bike in the garage and pretending to ride it.

cool dad

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sagebrush posted:

My father's reaction when I told him was dismay, followed by telling me about all his patients who have various lifelong disabilities from motorcycle accidents, and about his buddies in the ER who "put kids back together all the time". But then he said "but...my two best friends have been motorcycling since they were teenagers, and have owned dozens of bikes, and they're both conscientious and methodical and have never been seriously injured. I want you to talk to both of them before you do anything else."

Now I catch him sitting on the bike in the garage and pretending to ride it.

cool dad

That's the best story. :3:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

My father's reaction when I told him I wanted to get a bike was mild dismay, followed by telling me about all his patients who have various lifelong disabilities from motorcycle accidents, and about his buddies in the ER who "put kids back together all the time". But then he said "but...my two best friends have been motorcycling since they were teenagers, and have owned dozens of bikes, and they're both conscientious and methodical and have never been seriously injured. I want you to talk to both of them before you do anything else."

So I did, and I got a bike as a project to restore over time to make it clear that I was being methodical and careful instead of just getting something to rip around on for no reason. Now I catch him sitting on the bike in the garage and pretending to ride it.

cool dad

That's awesome.

My dad rides and got a bike again to teach us to ride - after he gave up on saying no - before that he was going to salt our fuel tanks and slash our tyres :(

Now all he says is "If you die I'll feel guilty for teaching you to ride, so don't be an idiot and ride safely."

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Yeah, my dad's reaction was less severe. For some reason, he wholeheartedly supports "riding in the dirt" but nothing else. He told me I should go find some dirt and "ride aggressively" so I could get "used to falling". A bit different from my mother's response.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
My ma is fine with my motorcycling but is convinced road bicycling to work (25 MPH roads the whole way) is begging to get horribly crushed/maimed.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Sagebrush posted:

cool dad

A barrier to entry that should be more common. I suppose you're less inclined to thrash a bike that's running on sweat equity. This is the kind of logic that was applied to first cars once upon a time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh Marv you're so old.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

My stepdad has been in a wheelchair most of his life due to a crash on a Motorbike. (funny enough that crash wasn't all that bad, it was the whiplash that did it)

He was the first guy to say I should get a bike and is always helping me fix it when it falls apart.

Cool stepdad.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
your making me feel guilty for keeping my bike love from my family

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
My dad gave me poo poo about it but after awhile he just kinda gave up. The best was "Oh good go to the racetrack so you can crash doing 160 instead of 60."

It was a supermoto race.

...I'm kinda curious what 160mph would feel like on a supermoto. :supaburn:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

...I'm kinda curious what 160mph would feel like on a supermoto. :supaburn:

Unstable and scary with a lot of head shake probably. I've been clocked at 138 on the CRF and it was scary.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Rare earth magnets.

How do they work?

Back on-topic, I'm totally pro-motorcycle and plan to get my kids riding dirt soonish. My six year old is a smooth operator on his two wheeler, good lean angles and handling skills.

But, it's killing them slowly because the feller down the street with a little PW50 gives rides to the neighbors two-up, with maybe a bicycle helmet on the kids. It's just weird to me because he actually roadraces. ATG some of TT? Half naked in a development where no one in a car expects to see a dirtbike? Maybe I worry too much.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

My ma is fine with my motorcycling but is convinced road bicycling to work (25 MPH roads the whole way) is begging to get horribly crushed/maimed.

FWIW I have many more near-death experiences while commuting to work on my bicycle than when I go out on my SV. On my motorcycle I feel invisible, on my bicycle people in cars seem to actively try to kill me.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
I'd lane split doing wheelies before I'd get on a bike on the road around here.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I ride a Night Rod Special.

I pulled into the gas station the other day, wearing my usual full-face, gloves, jacket, motorcycle jeans, and boots.

There was a cute girl at the register, and I saw her looking around the lot for my bike, which was parked behind a large truck.

So, as I walked up, she smiled at me and said "Where's your bike?"

I said "Behind that truck over there."

Then she asked "Harley or sport bike?"

I was all like "Bitches loooove Harleys" so I said "Harley" with my best :smug: face.

Instantly, the smile disappeared and she said "Oh." and shoved my change at me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's why you say it's a Suzuki Boulevard. :haw:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I went to a bike shop next to my house to pick up some fork oil, regular oil and a new filter. They mostly work on *CUZZZTOM* harleys. I wear my mesh jacket and full face evrywhere. I walk in...

me: Hey how's it goin? I need 3 quarts of oil, a new oil filter and some fork oil.
him: I dont know if we have the right filter.
me: You had it 3 months ago last time I was in here.
him: *looks at my jacket and helmet* I doubt it, we don't do sportbikes here.
me: ........ I ride a chopped cruiser.
him: well we don't do metric here.
me: can you please look up the part and see if you have the filter.
him: okay *looks it up, hands it to me from a stack of 50 of the same god damned filter*
me: thanks, do you also happen to have fork seals?
him: We have some, but i don't think we have anymore 45mm fork seals.
me: they are 39mm forks, just like a harley narrow glide. Its not a sport bike.
him: yeah but we don't do metric here.
me: you know, I will just take the oil and filter thanks.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

him: yeah but we don't do metric here.

When Harley guys came into our Yamaha/Suzuki shop looking for parts, I always wanted to tell them to try the tractor store down the road but was usually too chicken to say it.

One day a guy came in asking for parts for "real motorcycles," his exact words. Of course he meant Harleys so I actually did use the tractor store line. Totally worth it to see the veins in his head bulge out.

Working there was pretty much this thread, every day. It's tough to maintain your enthusiasm in the face of such blinding ignorance, but I managed because we basically worked in a toy store and it was rad.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
My mom rode for years and most of my family rides/rode (Grandpa, Uncle and cousins all ride) so when I got flack from her about buying a bike I was kind of surprised. After she let off a fairly negative torrent I pretty much said I'm going to do it whether you like it or not. You should be telling me to be safe not giving me poo poo. We have an agreement now that she just doesn't want to hear about when I have incidents no matter how trivial they are.

My dad happily refers to all bikes as donorcycles or murdercycles.... Every time we talk about it I ask him what exactly his riding experience is again and it gets really quiet. I also don't see how me riding freestyle MX as a kid was any safer than riding in a place where motorcycles are really common. They encouraged me when I was young and then expected me to just quit? It's not like I live in LA, this whole county has about a quarter million people...

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

When I got my bike, my mom said.. and I quote: "You got a motorcycle, Sanchezz, I can't believe you, that poo poo is NEVER allowed at our house!" *click*

So I let her cool down for about a week, all the while talking to my dad about how fun it is, what kind of bike it is, what kind of gear I have etc. My mom met my dad because of his motorcycle, so she can't hate on them forever right?

A week or so goes by, and I get a call from home, it's my mom. Hi mom, how are you. "Bring your motorcycle to the house I want to see it"

:wtc:

So i go over, show her the bike, explain that it has ABS and that the MSF was very helpful yadda yadda. Not two minutes go by, "OK LET DAD TAKE IT FOR A SPIN ITS BEEN YEARS SINCE I'VE SEEN HIM ON A MOTORCYCLE!"

Jeez mom.. I didn't buy a motorcycle for you to get your rocks off :rolleyes:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

opengl128 posted:

FWIW I have many more near-death experiences while commuting to work on my bicycle than when I go out on my SV. On my motorcycle I feel invisible, on my bicycle people in cars seem to actively try to kill me.
Closer to the truth than you might think.
This is my former neighbor...
http://honestass.blogspot.com/2012/01/off-road.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Share the Road! (as I wobble unpredictably between the sidewalk and the lane of traffic)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Your ex-neighbor is a dumb rear end

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Yeah, gently caress your ex-neighbor. We are united against the caged menace.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

My dad happily refers to all bikes as donorcycles or murdercycles

My mom was an ER nurse for a few years, apparently this is pretty common in there. Frankly I can't blame 'em, considering the condition of most bikers that show up in emerg.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
People have no wit...surely suicycle is more accurate and imo sounds better.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Phy posted:

My mom was an ER nurse for a few years, apparently this is pretty common in there. Frankly I can't blame 'em, considering the condition of most bikers that show up in emerg.

I've always told medical personnel (this is what convinced my dad and stepmom, who both work at a hospital) that of course you're always going to see torn up bikers, because the ones wearing full gear largely don't need to go to the ER after an accident. It's a skewed anecdotal statistic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was trying to say basically that, but from the point of view of having sympathy for the poo poo ER professionals have to deal with. Non-hosed-up riders don't regularly stroll into the emergency room on their own two feet wearing all their gear and complaining of a bobo. If they did, nurses and docs would call them bobocycles.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That skewing syndrome is most often explained as a WWI anecdote: Britain issues metal helmets to her soldiers, and suddenly the rate of men in the hospital for head injuries triples.

:dukedog:"These helmets are horrible, look at what they're doing to our men!"

:stare: "All of those men would be dead, sir."

No idea if there's a true story in there anywhere.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Getting a motorcycle and breaking it to my parents kind of went down like this for me:

"I want a motorcycle. Not because I need one or because it's a good idea but because I don't need one and it's a terrible idea.

And that alone makes it the best idea."

He literally had nothing to say other than, "Well poo poo, Sean."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AncientTV posted:

It's a skewed anecdotal statistic.

Much like how everyone can tell you about a friend of a friend who got hurt or dead on a bike, so clearly everyone on a bike gets hurt...when really they're just experiencing the sort of "7 handshakes around the world" phenomenon where two steps removed from you gives you a sample of like a hundred thousand people.

The best defense seems to be knowing some motorcyclists who don't act like cockbrains and have been successful at avoiding major accidents. That at least proves that some of the danger can be averted by being smart about gear and constant vigilance on the road.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I told my dad when I got my learner's permit and he had a serious knee-jerk reaction and told me to talk to him before I actually bought a bike. He was always the more understanding parent, so I just went ahead and never brought it up again. Then three years later my mother joined Facebook and thanks to friends-of-friends permissions on my bike gallery found out the whole thing. They ended up coming around on the subject and now I get some pretty sweet gear every Christmas. They went into a Harley dealer to get me a pair of gloves (because that's where straight-laced baby boomers figure motorcycle stuff is sold, I guess) and hearing my mom talk about how "everyone was covered in tattoos but they were all very nice!" was great.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 4, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
My dad and brother have been trying to get me to ride since I was ~18 years old. I kept telling them I wasn't responsible enough to ride one and wasn't mature enough to handle it. That was part of it, but to be honest I wasn't that interested in them. I liked cars a lot more. This went on for years.

Then a few years ago a cute girl at my work started talked about getting a bike so I began thinking about it and thought 'why the hell not, I'm not a responsible 28 year old'

So I got one and motorcycles are awesome.

I'm just glad I didn't get one when I was young because I'd be dead.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
yeah my dad dragged down to the dmv one morning when I turned eighteen so I could get my motorcycle permit and I guess my mom never had a choice.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
My mom rode when she was younger and basically said 'ehh, ok be careful.' I'd show up in my ATGATT, and she'd go on about how they used to ride in shorts and tshirts when it was warm out.

A year later, she bought her own, and I made her buy all the gear. She still whines about it sometimes, but she doesn't go out without the gear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Starting up my Uly in downtown

"Is that a Harley engine?"

"Yeah pretty much."

"Did it come that way or did you do it yourself?"

I guess it's really ugly or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

Starting up my Uly in downtown