Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
So many car commercials lately have been utter poo poo. Between Mazda using the Lorax to sell cars, to the terrible Prius Life commercial it's ridiculous.

I really tried to like the look of the Prius C and I just can't. I'm usually a fan of hatchbacks, but the bubbly looks of the new Fit, Fiesta, and the C are just awful and I've never liked the back end of any of the Priuses. The Rio and the Sonic are the only compact hatchbacks I liked the look of. The others have too much of a rounded top and sharper decline to the back.

After a few weeks of shopping and dealing, I now have this on order:

The Turbo Automatics are finally being built! I haven't been able to drive one yet, since there aren't any even remotely close to me, but I drove the 1.8L Sonic and loved it. Now I have my very own car being built just for me :3:

This waiting is going to be worse than watching fedex/ups shipment tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I would definitely consider the Prius C if I were in the market for that class of car, which is a huge step.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would definitely consider the Prius C if I were in the market for that class of car, which is a huge step.

I definitely considered it, which is giving them a lot of credit from the previous models, but they definitely went the route of the "newer" and bubblier hatchback style of the Fiesta which is a turn off for me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

So many car commercials lately have been utter poo poo. Between Mazda using the Lorax to sell cars, to the terrible Prius Life commercial it's ridiculous.

I really tried to like the look of the Prius C and I just can't. I'm usually a fan of hatchbacks, but the bubbly looks of the new Fit, Fiesta, and the C are just awful and I've never liked the back end of any of the Priuses. The Rio and the Sonic are the only compact hatchbacks I liked the look of. The others have too much of a rounded top and sharper decline to the back.

After a few weeks of shopping and dealing, I now have this on order:

The Turbo Automatics are finally being built! I haven't been able to drive one yet, since there aren't any even remotely close to me, but I drove the 1.8L Sonic and loved it. Now I have my very own car being built just for me :3:

This waiting is going to be worse than watching fedex/ups shipment tracking.

poo poo, the Turbo autos are in production? The base engine got pretty lackluster mileage compared to the rest of the nice B-Hatches (30/40 for Accent/Rio, 29/40 for Fiesta with SFE). A good deal on a Sonic Turbo Auto might seal the deal.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Thwomp posted:

poo poo, the Turbo autos are in production? The base engine got pretty lackluster mileage compared to the rest of the nice B-Hatches (30/40 for Accent/Rio, 29/40 for Fiesta with SFE). A good deal on a Sonic Turbo Auto might seal the deal.

They've apparently been coming off the line since mid-February, but at least for me it's been a nightmare to get. No one has them, and the local dealers either wanted to sell me a 1.8 auto claiming it was a turbo or a turbo manual. There was one at a dealership 380 miles from me, but they wouldn't talk to my dealership to do a trade.

Oh well, I'm a patient man and having one built just for me is pretty awesome.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just did some Googling and found the EPA rates the Turbo Auto as 27/37. Not bad but still a little disappointing considering the competition. :smith:

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Thwomp posted:

I just did some Googling and found the EPA rates the Turbo Auto as 27/37. Not bad but still a little disappointing considering the competition. :smith:

But it's a turbo :pervert:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure it drives great. But for me, better gas mileage for the value is a bit more important.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Thwomp posted:

I'm sure it drives great. But for me, better gas mileage for the value is a bit more important.

Stay off the boostu and you'll get better mileage.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Stay off the boostu and you'll get better mileage.

I doubt it - that's just not an efficient engine/transmission combo.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In related news, the next Impala looks to sport some Sonic inspired headlights.

From Car and Driver

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Thwomp posted:

In related news, the next Impala looks to sport some Sonic inspired headlights.

From Car and Driver

The Sonic headlights are relatively sensible and boxy looking, sort of like on the Charger or the current gen of Holden cars, so I'm down with that. Anything would look better than the ancient Impala.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Google goes NASCAR
http://www.google.com/racing/

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Nitrox posted:

Google goes NASCAR
http://www.google.com/racing/

Nope. Not an April Fools joke or anything.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Evanauto posted:

Nope. Not an April Fools joke or anything.
I'm not saying it couldn't be, but if so they spent a LOT of time and money on this for nothing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

adorai posted:

I'm not saying it couldn't be, but if so they spent a LOT of time and money on this for nothing.

You mean slapping together a website?

It even says its an April fools joke at the bottom

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
It's a thing they do.... every year. The toilet fiber optic ISP was pretty great.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

I'm really digging the Mazda CX-5.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsGallery2&vehicleCode=CX5

I test drove one a few days ago. It drives better than any compact car on the market. Seriously. The 6-speed is awesome, the steering is awesome, and it doesn't lean any more in turns than a normal compact.

One thing it isn't is fast. Only 150 HP. But the engine is at least perky and soars to redline easy.

Also, the manual is only available on the Sport FWD. I'm fine with that. I'm less fine about it only being available in silver, black or grey (if you get the Sport w/manual). At least the silver is a dark shade that compliments the car well.

I've never been partial to cars that sit high but I'm considering this for my next car instead of a new Focus.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
When my mom was car shopping I went with her to look at the Mazda CX-5.

It was a decent car, but if you have any adult friends sitting in the back seat they will hate you. I'm only 5'7 and my head was uncomfortably close to the ceiling. I have a relatively short torso, too. The back seat was most definitely designed for children and/or carseats, not actual people.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

When my mom was car shopping I went with her to look at the Mazda CX-5.

It was a decent car, but if you have any adult friends sitting in the back seat they will hate you. I'm only 5'7 and my head was uncomfortably close to the ceiling. I have a relatively short torso, too. The back seat was most definitely designed for children and/or carseats, not actual people.

That's weird. I am 6'2" and I was able to sit behind myself just fine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it was the MX-5 that AG and his mom test drove? :v:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Definitely the CX-5.

However, we'd just come from the Kia dealership where we looked at a Sorento, and that thing is HUGE so the Mazda was small by comparison I suppose.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I'm 6'2" and my head doesn't hit the roof in the backseat of my Mazda3. The CX-5 has an inch more rear headroom than the 3, so you can't have been all that close to the roof. I'm sure it's nowhere near as spacious as a Sorento, though.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, the Sorento is enormous. It is the quintessential Mom Car. I think I'm just not used to smaller car interiors since 99% of the time I'm in a Honda CR-V, a Hyundai Tucson or my mom's Sorento.

However, that's about to change!

This summer I'm getting a new car as my graduation present (one last bit of parental support before they totally cut me off for good since I'll be all graduated and a real adult with a job and stuff). I'm pretty set on the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Before I was set on a Mini Cooper S, but the Veloster Turbo has equivalent specs but gets better gas mileage on regular gas, as opposed to premium for the Mini. Plus it's like 10 grand cheaper. From following the Veloster twitter feed, I've seen that if I were to get the matte gray paint I'd have to get some special more expensive service/protection package. Is this bullshit, or is there a legit reason for paying more for the matte paint? I like the matte look, but if it means paying a couple hundred extra, gently caress it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I'm pretty set on the Hyundai Veloster Turbo. Before I was set on a Mini Cooper S, but the Veloster Turbo has equivalent specs but gets better gas mileage on regular gas, as opposed to premium for the Mini. Plus it's like 10 grand cheaper.
Drive both before you make a decision. The Turbo will be different (hopefully), but reviews of the regular Veloster have been disappointing with regards to handling (and power, but that would change with the Turbo obviously).

The equivalent MINI should really only be 3-5k more than the Veloster Turbo. Not insignificant, but not 10k. Might as well look at the VW GTI and Fiat Abarth too.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Shots of the new production Lincoln MKZ are out. Shocker: it's actually pretty good looking and looks really close to the concept. Even the grille.

]

The new wing grille actually looks pretty good, and I'm really liking the decision to go back to normal sized headlights that end before the wheel wells. Ditto for the lack of dumb vents, swooshes, or wacky super raked beltlines. Seriously, the design is looking positively germanic, and I mean that in a good way. A pretty clean and simple design. I'm also digging the rear light treatment and that little duckbill-like flare on a bangle butt is pretty cool, too. Rear greenhouse profile is reminiscent of Ian Callum's Jaguars, maybe.

Also, apparently it's got active noise cancellation, which sounds interesting, too.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 3, 2012

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
My mom's GMC Terrain apparently has some kind of active noise canceling. Between the low profile tire hum, the Ecotech buzzing along, and wind noise. You would be hard pressed to know if there was any techno wizardry going on. It's not as gross as the BMW game engine sounds, but it still smacks as a gimmick.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

hedge posted:

Drive both before you make a decision. The Turbo will be different (hopefully), but reviews of the regular Veloster have been disappointing with regards to handling (and power, but that would change with the Turbo obviously).

The equivalent MINI should really only be 3-5k more than the Veloster Turbo. Not insignificant, but not 10k. Might as well look at the VW GTI and Fiat Abarth too.

At least the Veloster has a normal-looking dashboard. What is up with the speedometer on the Mini? I like the Mini in principle, but that dashboard is awful. How is this car so popular?

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

hedge posted:

I agree with this. Hyundai has yet to make a car that proves they really understand handling. The Genesis is a competent effort but it's also a rear-wheel drive platform with gobs of power. All of the less expensive front-wheel drive vehicles seem to be either soft and vague or harsh and (somewhat) sharp.

Just my opinion - I drove an Accent and Veloster a little while back and was not impressed with the driving feel of either.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

MN-Ghost posted:

At least the Veloster has a normal-looking dashboard. What is up with the speedometer on the Mini? I like the Mini in principle, but that dashboard is awful. How is this car so popular?

It's not popular. Mini is super low volume.

MN-Ghost
Jan 7, 2008

Faceless Clock posted:

It's not popular. Mini is super low volume.

Really? I see them all over the place.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
As a MINI owner, I would not recommend you buy one.

e: as far as the interior, the first gen ones are still weird but much better looking IMO. The gen2 ones look awful inside

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

e: as far as the interior, the first gen ones are still weird but much better looking IMO. The gen2 ones look awful inside

I always forget that you own a Mini and that I should disregard any and all advice you give about cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Shots of the new production Lincoln MKZ are out.

It's also supposed to have a panoramic sunroof that retracts all the way back, like a targa top on a Porsche.

In related Ford news, you can get the twin turbo engine in a Ford Explorer now. It's nice that they've added chassis reinforcements, bigger brakes and suspension too.

Also Chrysler is bringing back the Firebird.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Nodoze posted:

I don't have any problems with mine and do recommend you at least drive it and do your homework before buying anything if you are interested in that type of car.

Get it with MINI Connected (you'll want this) or navigation and it looks a lot better. Nobody uses the center speedo anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Faceless Clock posted:

I agree with this. Hyundai has yet to make a car that proves they really understand handling.

They can do it - apparently the i40 wagon is very competent. The i45 sedan (US Sonata) is horrible though despite being almost the same car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Shots of the new production Lincoln MKZ are out. Shocker: it's actually pretty good looking and looks really close to the concept. Even the grille.

]

The new wing grille actually looks pretty good, and I'm really liking the decision to go back to normal sized headlights that end before the wheel wells. Ditto for the lack of dumb vents, swooshes, or wacky super raked beltlines. Seriously, the design is looking positively germanic, and I mean that in a good way. A pretty clean and simple design. I'm also digging the rear light treatment and that little duckbill-like flare on a bangle butt is pretty cool, too. Rear greenhouse profile is reminiscent of Ian Callum's Jaguars, maybe.

Also, apparently it's got active noise cancellation, which sounds interesting, too.

You forgot the best part, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SHPnk443XY

The glass roof fucks off at the push of a button. This genuinely excites me for the future of lincoln.

edit: speaking of buttons:

so not much chance of a stick

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 3, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's a god drat Lincoln the only recent Lincoln to come stick was the LS V6 and they sold like 1200 of them total.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I did drive the Mini Coupe S (that'd be my first choice if money wasn't an object). I liked driving it a lot. I'm waiting till the Turbo comes out to drive the Veloster, the negative reviews of the handling of the regular one are what are making me hold off till the Turbo comes out. I test drove the Genesis Coupe a while back and I liked that too.

At the end of the day it's about money though, since when I get this new car I'll be a poor recent college grad. I can get 38 MPG highway in the Veloster Turbo on regular gas, vs 35 mpg in the Mini S on premium. I've also heard that Minis can be pretty expensive to repair and don't have the best track record as far as reliability goes, whereas newer Hyundais are pretty reliable. I'm leaning away from hybrids because they're all horribly ugly or boring sedans. I want something fun and nice but cheap to maintain.

I used to live in Italy. I hate Fiat 500s. The Abarth is ok, but it's still a Fiat. Ugh. I did a long road trip in one, I wanted to die by the end. Also one of my requirements is decent cargo space, the 500 does not fit that criteria.

I think once the Turbo comes out and I go on all my test drives to compare cars, it'll be the Veloster Turbo, Mini S, GTI, and possibly the Honda Fit. I'll report back here when that happens (probably July, since Hyundai keeps saying mid-summer for the Turbo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I hate to get all BFC on your rear end but if the difference between 38MPG highway and 35MPG highway on premium is gonna put a significant hurting on your budget, to the degree that you're going to care about it a lot, you should not be buying a new car.